Mouse Rad9b is essential for embryonic development and promotes resistance to DNA damage
Article first published online: 14 SEP 2010
Copyright © 2010 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 239, Issue 11, pages 2837–2850, November 2010
How to Cite
Leloup, C., Hopkins, K. M., Wang, X., Zhu, A., Wolgemuth, D. J. and Lieberman, H. B. (2010), Mouse Rad9b is essential for embryonic development and promotes resistance to DNA damage. Dev. Dyn., 239: 2837–2850. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.22415
- Issue published online: 21 OCT 2010
- Article first published online: 14 SEP 2010
- Manuscript Accepted: 6 AUG 2010
- National Institutes of Health. Grant Numbers: CA130536, GM079107
- Environmental Protection Agency: Research Training in Environmentally-Induced Cancers. Grant Number: EPA-X972798
- 2004. Mutation of the mouse Rad17 gene leads to embryonic lethality and reveals a role in DNA damage-dependent recombination. EMBO J 23: 3548–3558. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Deletion of DDB1 in mouse brain and lens leads to p53-dependent elimination of proliferating cells. Cell 127: 929–940. , , , , , , .
- 1994. Expression of proliferating cell nuclear antigen in the mouse germ line and surrounding somatic cells suggests both proliferation-dependent and -independent modes of function. Int J Dev Biol 38: 491–497. , .
- 2008. Cell-type-specific consequences of nucleotide excision repair deficiencies: Embryonic stem cells versus fibroblasts. DNA Repair (Amst) 7: 1659–1669. , , , , , , .
- 2007. Co-ordination of DNA single strand break repair. DNA Repair (Amst) 6: 454–460. , .
- 2003. Identification and characterization of RAD9B, a paralog of the RAD9 checkpoint gene. Genomics 82: 644–651. , , , .
- 2000. The in vitro micronucleus technique. Mutat Res 455: 81–95. .
- 1998. Late embryonic lethality and impaired V(D)J recombination in mice lacking DNA ligase IV. Nature 396: 173–177. , , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Database of mouse strains carrying targeted mutations in genes affecting biological responses to DNA damage Version 7. DNA Repair (Amst) 5: 189–209. , .
- 2003. Biochemical modulation of Cisplatin mechanisms of action: enhancement of antitumor activity and circumvention of drug resistance. Chem Rev 103: 645–662. , , .
- 1998. A critical role for DNA end-joining proteins in both lymphogenesis and neurogenesis. Cell 95: 891–902. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1996. Brca1 deficiency results in early embryonic lethality characterized by neuroepithelial abnormalities. Nat Genet 12: 191–194. , , , , .
- 1997. Ku70-deficient embryonic stem cells have increased ionizing radiosensitivity, defective DNA end-binding activity, and inability to support V(D)J recombination. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 94: 8076–8081. , , , , .
- 1996. The tumor suppressor gene Brca1 is required for embryonic cellular proliferation in the mouse. Cell 85: 1009–1023. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Transcription-coupled DNA repair: two decades of progress and surprises. Nat Rev Mol Cell Biol 9: 958–970. , .
- 1998. Drosophila engrailed can substitute for mouse Engrailed1 function in mid-hindbrain, but not limb development. Development 125: 4521–4530. , , , , , , .
- 1999. Mini-review: toward understanding mechanisms of genetic neural tube defects in mice. Teratology 60: 292–305. , .
- 2005. Evidence that DNA damage detection machinery participates in DNA repair. Cell Cycle 4: 529–532. , , , .
- 1996. Altered cell cycle kinetics, gene expression, and G1 restriction point regulation in Rb-deficient fibroblasts. Mol Cell Biol 16: 2402–2407. , , , , , .
- 1994. Manipulating the mouse embryo. A laboratory manual. Cold Spring Harbor, NY: Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press. , , .
- 2003. Expression of mammalian paralogues of HRAD9 and Mrad9 checkpoint control genes in normal and cancerous testicular tissue. Cancer Res 63: 5291–5298. , , , , , .
- 2004. Deletion of mouse rad9 causes abnormal cellular responses to DNA damage, genomic instability, and embryonic lethality. Mol Cell Biol 24: 7235–7248. , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Targeted deletion of Rad9 in mouse skin keratinocytes enhances genotoxin-induced tumor development. Cancer Res 68: 5552–5561. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Radiation-induced DNA damage responses. Radiat Prot Dosimetry 122: 124–127. , .
- 2008. Stage-specific gene expression is a fundamental characteristic of rat spermatogenic cells and Sertoli cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 105: 8315–8320. , , , , , .
- 2000. Gene targeting: a practical approach, 2d ed. New York: IRL Press. .
- 1995. The atlas of mouse development. New York: Academic Press Limited. .
- 1998. Lack of correlation between repair of DNA interstrand cross-links and hypersensitivity of hamster cells towards mitomycin C and cisplatin. FEBS Lett 437: 97–100. , , , .
- 2006. Rad9, an evolutionarily conserved gene with multiple functions for preserving genomic integrity. J Cell Biochem 97: 690–697. .
- 1996. A mutation in mouse rad51 results in an early embryonic lethal that is suppressed by a mutation in p53. Mol Cell Biol 16: 7133–7143. , .
- 1996. Inactivation of the mouse Brca1 gene leads to failure in the morphogenesis of the egg cylinder in early postimplantation development. Genes Dev 10: 1835–1843. , , , , .
- 2000. Chk1 is an essential kinase that is regulated by Atr and required for the G(2)/M DNA damage checkpoint. Genes Dev 14: 1448–1459. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Advances in chemical carcinogenesis: a historical review and prospective. Cancer Res 68: 6863–6872. , .
- 1997. Targeted mutations of breast cancer susceptibility gene homologs in mice: lethal phenotypes of Brca1, Brca2, Brca1/Brca2, Brca1/p53, and Brca2/p53 nullizygous embryos. Genes Dev 11: 1226–1241. , , , .
- 1999. Disruption of mRad50 causes embryonic stem cell lethality, abnormal embryonic development, and sensitivity to ionizing radiation. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 96: 7376–7381. , , , , , , .
- 2001. Repair of DNA interstrand crosslinks: molecular mechanisms and clinical relevance. Lancet Oncol 2: 483–490. , , .
- 2003. Redox regulation of the G1 to S phase transition in the mouse embryo fibroblast cell cycle. Cancer Res 63: 2109–2117. , , , , , , .
- 2002. Developmental defects and male sterility in mice lacking the ubiquitin-like DNA repair gene mHR23B. Mol Cell Biol 22: 1233–1245. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2006. DNA damage checkpoints in mammals. Mutagenesis 21: 3–9. , .
- 1996. Requirement for Ku80 in growth and immunoglobulin V(D)J recombination. Nature 382: 551–555. , , , , , , .
- 2006. Selective utilization of nonhomologous end-joining and homologous recombination DNA repair pathways during nervous system development. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 103: 10017–10022. , , , .
- 2002. Relative toxicities of DNA cross-links and monoadducts: new insights from studies of decarbamoyl mitomycin C and mitomycin C. Chem Res Toxicol 15: 1398–1406. , , , , , , .
- 2006. Mammalian Rad9 plays a role in telomere stability, S- and G2-phase-specific cell survival, and homologous recombinational repair. Mol Cell Biol 26: 1850–1864. , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Cell cycle checkpoint signaling: cell cycle arrest versus apoptosis. Toxicology 181–182: 475–481. , .
- 2007. Molecular mechanisms of resistance and toxicity associated with platinating agents. Cancer Treat Rev 33: 9–23. , .
- 2009. Base excision repair: the long and short of it. Cell Mol Life Sci 66: 981–983. , , , .
- 1995. A subset of p53-deficient embryos exhibit exencephaly. Nat Genet 10: 175–180. , , , , , .
- 1984. A review of the genetic effects of ethyl methanesulfonate. Mutat Res 134: 113–142. .
- 1997. Embryonic lethality and radiation hypersensitivity mediated by Rad51 in mice lacking Brca2. Nature 386: 804–810. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1996. Requirement of mammalian DNA polymerase-beta in base-excision repair. Nature 379: 183–186. , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Brca2 is required for embryonic cellular proliferation in the mouse. Genes Dev 11: 1242–1252. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Requirement for the Xrcc1 DNA base excision repair gene during early mouse development. Dev Biol 208: 513–529. , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Binding of nuclear proteins associated with mammalian DNA repair to the mitomycin C-DNA interstrand crosslink. Environ Mol Mutagen 31: 70–81. , , , , .
- 2000. Inactivation of mouse Hus1 results in genomic instability and impaired responses to genotoxic stress. Genes Dev 14: 1886–1898. , , .
- 1997. Conditional gene targeted deletion by Cre recombinase demonstrates the requirement for the double-strand break repair Mre11 protein in murine embryonic stem cells. Nucleic Acids Res 25: 2985–2991. , .
- 2004. Human RAD9 checkpoint control/proapoptotic protein can activate transcription of p21. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 101: 8864–8869. , , , , , , .
- 2007. Defective DNA repair and increased genomic instability in Cernunnos-XLF-deficient murine ES cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 104: 4518–4523. , , , , .
- 2002. Deficient nonhomologous end-joining activity in cell-free extracts from Brca1-null fibroblasts. Cancer Res 62: 3966–3970. , , , .
- 2008. Rad9 has a functional role in human prostate carcinogenesis. Cancer Res 68: 1267–1274. , , .
- 2001. Targeted disruption of the Nijmegen breakage syndrome gene NBS1 leads to early embryonic lethality in mice. Curr Biol 11: 105–109. , , , .