Developmental fate of the mammalian myotome
Version of Record online: 23 SEP 2010
Copyright © 2010 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 239, Issue 11, pages 2898–2910, November 2010
How to Cite
Deries, M., Schweitzer, R. and Duxson, M. J. (2010), Developmental fate of the mammalian myotome. Dev. Dyn., 239: 2898–2910. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.22425
- Issue online: 21 OCT 2010
- Version of Record online: 23 SEP 2010
- Manuscript Accepted: 16 AUG 2010
- 1997. Acetylcholine receptor formation in mouse-chick chimera. Exp Cell Res 236: 29–42. , , , , .
- 2004. Integrins in the mouse myotome: developmental changes and differences between the epaxial and hypaxial lineage. Dev Dyn 231: 402–415. , , , .
- 1900. The development of the musculature of the body wall in the pig, including its histogenesis and its relations to the myotomes and to the skeletal and nervous appartatus. Johns Hopkins Hosp Rep 9: 367–399. .
- 2005. Lineage analysis of the avian dermomyotome sheet reveals the existence of single cells with both dermal and muscle progenitor fates. Development 132: 689–701. , .
- 2007. Intrinsic phenotypic diversity of embryonic and fetal myoblasts is revealed by genome-wide gene expression analysis on purified cells. Dev Biol 304: 633–651. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1992. Cell movements. New York: Garland Publishing Inc. .
- 2003. A somitic compartment of tendon progenitors. Cell 113: 235–248. , , .
- 2005. Genetic analysis of interactions between the somitic muscle, cartilage and tendon cell lineages during mouse development. Development 132: 515–528. , , .
- 2001. Skeletal muscle formation in vertebrates. Curr Opin Genet Dev 11: 440–448. .
- 1929. The development of the somites in the white rat (mus norvegicus albinus) and the fate of the myotomes, neural tubes and gut in the tail. Am J Anat 44: 381–440. .
- 1982. On the role of the connective tissue in the patterning of the chick limb musculature. Wilhelm Roux's Arch 191: 277–280. , .
- 1977. Experimental analysis of the origin of the wing musculature in avian embryos. Anat Embryol (Berl) 150: 171–186. , , .
- 1983. On the origin and development of the ventrolateral abdominal muscles in the avian embryo. An experimental and ultrastructural study. Anat Embryol (Berl) 166: 87–101. , , .
- 1995. Early stages of chick somite development. Anat Embryol (Berl) 191: 381–396. , .
- 1999. Characterization of the early development of specific hypaxial muscles from the ventrolateral myotome. Development 126: 4305–4315. , , .
- 1997. Location and growth of epaxial myotome precursor cells. Development 124: 1601–1610. , , .
- 2008. The mammalian myotome: a muscle with no innervation. Evol Dev 10: 746–755. , , .
- 2006. Skeletal muscle translocation in vertebrates. Anat Embryol (Berl) 211 Suppl 1: 43–50. , , , .
- 2004. A two-step mechanism for myotome formation in chick. Dev Cell 6: 875–882. , , .
- 2005. A common somitic origin for embryonic muscle progenitors and satellite cells. Nature 435: 954–958. , , , .
- 2005. Vertebrate myotome development. Birth Defects Res C Embryo Today 75: 172–179. , .
- 2006. Caspase-3, TUNEL and ultrastructural studies of small follicles in adult human ovarian biopsies. Hum Reprod 21: 1974–1980. , , .
- 2009. Embryonic and fetal limb myogenic cells are derived from developmentally distinct progenitors and have different requirements for beta-catenin. Genes Dev 23: 997–1013. , , , , .
- 1998. The origin and fate of pioneer myotomal cells in the avian embryo. Mech Dev 74: 59–73. , , .
- 1999. Myotome formation: a multistage process. Cell Tissue Res 296: 161–173. , , .
- 1998. Muscle and tendon morphogenesis in the avian hind limb. Development 125: 4019–4032. .
- 2002. Local extrinsic signals determine muscle and endothelial cell fate and patterning in the vertebrate limb. Dev Cell 3: 533–545. , , .
- 2003. A Tcf4-positive mesodermal population provides a prepattern for vertebrate limb muscle patterning. Dev Cell 5: 937–944. , , .
- 2005. Pax3/Pax7 mark a novel population of primitive myogenic cells during development. Genes Dev 19: 1426–1431. , , , , , .
- 1979. Autonomy of tendon development in the embryonic chick wing. J Embryol Exp Morphol 49: 153–165. , .
- 1984. Growth and metamorphosis of the rectus abdominis muscle in Rana pipiens. J. Morph. 182: 317–337. .
- 1995. Muscle cell death during the development of head and neck muscles in the chick embryo. Dev Dyn 202: 365–377. , , .
- 2002. Distinct regulatory cascades for head and trunk myogenesis. Development 129: 573–583. , .
- 2007. Regulation of tendon differentiation by scleraxis distinguishes force-transmitting tendons from muscle-anchoring tendons. Development 134: 2697–2708. , , , , , , .
- 2006. The differentiation and morphogenesis of craniofacial muscles. Dev Dyn 235: 1194–1218. , .
- 2005. Relations and interactions between cranial mesoderm and neural crest populations. J Anat 207: 575–601. , .
- 2007. Generation of transgenic tendon reporters, ScxGFP and ScxAP, using regulatory elements of the scleraxis gene. Dev Dyn 236: 1677–1682. , , , , .
- 2009. Recruitment and maintenance of tendon progenitors by TGFbeta signaling are essential for tendon formation. Development 136: 1351–1361. , , , , , .
- 2003. Spatial and temporal contribution of somitic myoblasts to avian hind limb muscles. Dev Biol 253: 264–278. , , .
- 2005. A Pax3/Pax7-dependent population of skeletal muscle progenitor cells. Nature 435: 948–953. , , , .
- 1992. Tenascin: a potential modulator of cell-extracellular matrix interactions during vertebrate embryogenesis. Biol Cell 75: 1–9. , , , .
- 1982. The development of the anterior abdominal wall in the rat in the light of a new anatomical description. J Anat 134: 237–242. , .
- 1973. Innervation and morphology of the musculi levatores costarum longi. Proc Jpn Acad 49: 555–558. .
- 2001. Analysis of the tendon cell fate using Scleraxis, a specific marker for tendons and ligaments. Development 128: 3855–3866. , , , , , , , .
- 1983. The development and postnatal organisation of motor nuclei in the rat thoracic spinal cord. J Comp Neurol 220: 16–28. , .
- 1982. Connective tissue morphogenesis by fibroblast traction. I. Tissue culture observations. Dev Biol 90: 383–398. , .
- 1922. Les transformations de la musculature de l'episome chez les vertébrés. In: Faculté des sciences. Paris: Université de Paris. .
- 2002. Persistent myogenic capacity of the dermomyotome dorsomedial lip and restriction of myogenic competence. Development 129: 3873–3885. , .
- 1999. Early development of the myotome in the mouse. Dev Dyn 216: 219–232. , , .
- 1974. Ultrastructural changes in the tail muscles of anuran tadpoles during metamorphosis. Cell Tissue Res 155: 321–336. , .
- 1999. Caspase-3 is the primary activator of apoptotic DNA fragmentation via DNA fragmentation factor-45/inhibitor of caspase-activated DNase inactivation. J Biol Chem 274: 30651–30656. , , , .