Islet1 selectively promotes peripheral axon outgrowth in Rohon-Beard primary sensory neurons
Article first published online: 24 NOV 2010
Copyright © 2010 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 240, Issue 1, pages 9–22, January 2011
How to Cite
Tanaka, H., Nojima, Y., Shoji, W., Sato, M., Nakayama, R., Ohshima, T. and Okamoto, H. (2011), Islet1 selectively promotes peripheral axon outgrowth in Rohon-Beard primary sensory neurons. Dev. Dyn., 240: 9–22. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.22499
- Issue published online: 22 DEC 2010
- Article first published online: 24 NOV 2010
- Manuscript Accepted: 29 SEP 2010
- Ministry of Education, Science, Technology, Sports and Culture of Japan
- Japan Science and Technology Agency
- 2007. Identification of CRMP4 as a convergent regulator of axon outgrowth inhibition. J Neurosci 27: 1702–1711. , , , .
- 2002. Differentiation and maturation of zebrafish dorsal root and sympathetic ganglion neurons. J Comp Neurol 446: 267–275. , , .
- 1995. Motoneuron fate specification revealed by patterned LIM homeobox gene expression in embryonic zebrafish. Development 121: 4117–4125. , , , , , , .
- 1990. Identification of spinal neurons in the embryonic and larval zebrafish. J Comp Neurol 302: 603–616. , , , .
- 2006. Distinct priming kinases contribute to differential regulation of collapsin response mediator proteins by glycogen synthase kinase-3 in vivo. J Biol Chem 281: 16591–16598. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Islet-1 controls the differentiation of retinal bipolar and cholinergic amacrine cells. J Neurosci 27: 12707–12720. , , , , , .
- 1995. Collapsin-induced growth cone collapse mediated by an intracellular protein related to UNC-33. Nature 376: 509–514. , , , .
- 2006. Islet1 and Islet2 have equivalent abilities to promote motoneuron formation and to specify motoneuron subtype identity. Development 133: 2137–2147. , .
- 1994. Developmental regulation of islet-1 mRNA expression during neuronal differentiation in embryonic zebrafish. Dev Dyn 199: 1–11. , , , , .
- 2007. Quality control of eukaryotic mRNA: safeguarding cells from abnormal mRNA function. Genes Dev 21: 1833–1856. , .
- 1990. Insulin gene enhancer binding protein Isl-1 is a member of a novel class of proteins containing both a homeo- and a Cys-His domain. Nature 344: 879–882. , , , , .
- 1995. Stages of embryonic development of the zebrafish. Dev Dyn 203: 253–310. , , , , .
- 1992. The LIM family transcription factor Isl-1 requires cAMP response element binding protein to promote somatostatin expression in pancreatic islet cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 89: 6247–6251. , , , , .
- 2005. Central and peripheral axon branches from one neuron are guided differentially by Semaphorin3D and transient axonal glycoprotein-1. J Neurosci 25: 10556–10563. , .
- 2004. PlexinA4 is necessary as a downstream target of Islet2 to mediate Slit signaling for promotion of sensory axon branching. Development 131: 3705–3715. , , , , , , , , .
- 1985. Spinal motoneurons of the larval zebrafish. J Comp Neurol 236: 555–561. .
- 2000. Effective targeted gene “knockdown” in zebrafish. Nat Genet 26: 216–220. , .
- 2009. Neuroepithelial cells require fucosylated glycans to guide the migration of vagus motor neuron progenitors in the developing zebrafish hindbrain. Development 136: 1653–1663. , , , , , , , , .
- 2010. Zebrafish research in Japan and the National BioResource Project. Exp Anim 59: 9–12. , .
- 1996. Requirement for LIM homeobox gene Isl1 in motor neuron generation reveals a motor neuron-dependent step in interneuron differentiation. Cell 84: 309–320. , , , , .
- 2003. TUC-4b, a novel TUC family variant, regulates neurite outgrowth and associates with vesicles in the growth cone. J Neurosci 23: 2815–2823. , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Slow degeneration of zebrafish Rohon-Beard neurons during programmed cell death. Dev Dyn 229: 30–41. , , , , .
- 1998. Zebrafish touch-insensitive mutants reveal an essential role for the developmental regulation of sodium current. J Neurosci 18: 9181–9191. , .
- 2005. Collapsin response mediator protein-4 regulates F-actin bundling. Exp Cell Res 310: 434–444. , , , , , .
- 2005. Expression of collapsin response mediator proteins in the nervous system of embryonic zebrafish. Gene Expr Patterns 5: 809–816. , , , .
- 2001. Functional repression of Islet-2 by disruption of complex with Ldb impairs peripheral axonal outgrowth in embryonic zebrafish. Neuron 30: 423–436. , , , , , , , .
- 2008. A central role for Islet1 in sensory neuron development linking sensory and spinal gene regulatory programs. Nat Neurosci 11: 1283–1293. , , , , , .
- 1994. Efficient recovery of ENU-induced mutations from the zebrafish germline. Genetics 136: 1401–1420. , , .
- 2007. Novel mutations affecting axon guidance in zebrafish and a role for plexin signalling in the guidance of trigeminal and facial nerve axons. Development 134: 3259–3269. , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. LIM factor Lhx3 contributes to the specification of motor neuron and interneuron identity through cell-type-specific protein-protein interactions. Cell 110: 237–249. , , , , .
- 2004. A postmitotic role for Isl-class LIM homeodomain proteins in the assignment of visceral spinal motor neuron identity. Neuron 41: 337–350. , , , , , , , .
- 1997. The Drosophila islet gene governs axon pathfinding and neurotransmitter identity. Neuron 18: 397–409. , .
- 1995. Molecular heterogeneity among primary motoneurons and within myotomes revealed by the differential mRNA expression of novel Islet-1 homologs in embryonic zebrafish. Dev Biol 171: 578–589. , , , , , , .
- 1998. Expression of LIM-domain binding protein (ldb) genes during zebrafish embryogenesis. Mech Dev 71: 197–200. , , , .
- 1994. Topographic organization of embryonic motor neurons defined by expression of LIM homeobox genes. Cell 79: 957–970. , , , , , , .
- 2005. Comparative functional genomics revealed conservation and diversification of three enhancers of the isl1 gene for motor and sensory neuron-specific expression. Dev Biol 278: 587–606. , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Dual roles of zygotic and maternal Scribble1 in neural migration and convergent extension movements in zebrafish embryos. Development 132: 2273–2285. , , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Frizzled3a and Celsr2 function in the neuroepithelium to regulate migration of facial motor neurons in the developing zebrafish hindbrain. Development 133: 4749–4759. , , , , .
- 1996. A family of rat CRMP genes is differentially expressed in the nervous system. J Neurosci 16: 6197–6207. , .
- 2007. The zebrafish book, 5th edition. Eugene, OR: University of Oregon Press.
- 2000. Programmed cell death in zebrafish rohon beard neurons is influenced by TrkC1/NT-3 signaling Dev Biol 226: 220–230. , , , , , .
- 2005. GSK-3beta regulates phosphorylation of CRMP-2 and neuronal polarity. Cell 120: 137–149. , , , , , .