Patterns & Phenotypes
Fgfr1 and the IIIc isoform of Fgfr2 play critical roles in the metanephric mesenchyme mediating early inductive events in kidney development
Version of Record online: 2 DEC 2010
Copyright © 2010 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 240, Issue 1, pages 240–249, January 2011
How to Cite
Sims-Lucas, S., Cusack, B., Baust, J., Eswarakumar, V. P., Masatoshi, H., Takeuchi, A. and Bates, C. M. (2011), Fgfr1 and the IIIc isoform of Fgfr2 play critical roles in the metanephric mesenchyme mediating early inductive events in kidney development. Dev. Dyn., 240: 240–249. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.22501
- Issue online: 22 DEC 2010
- Version of Record online: 2 DEC 2010
- Manuscript Accepted: 26 OCT 2010
- National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. Grant Number: R01-DK070030
- National Institutes of Health. Grant Number: P50 AR054086
- 1997. Ureteric bud cells secrete multiple factors, including bFGF, which rescue renal progenitors from apoptosis. Am J Physiol 273: F757–F767. , , , , , .
- 2004. Genetic determination of nephrogenesis: the Pax/Eya/Six gene network. Pediatr Nephrol 19: 249–255. , .
- 2001. Regulation of ureteric bud outgrowth by Pax2-dependent activation of the glial derived neurotrophic factor gene. Development 128: 4747–4756. , , , .
- 2010. Patterning a complex organ: branching morphogenesis and nephron segmentation in kidney development. Dev Cell 18: 698–712. , .
- 2006. GDNF/Ret signaling and the development of the kidney. Bioessays 28: 117–127. , .
- 2009. Advances in early kidney specification, development and patterning. Development 136: 3863–3874. .
- 2002. The IIIc alternative of Fgfr2 is a positive regulator of bone formation. Development 129: 3783–3793. , , , , , .
- 2005. FGF8 is required for cell survival at distinct stages of nephrogenesis and for regulation of gene expression in nascent nephrons. Development 132: 3847–3857. , , , , , .
- 2008. Role of fibroblast growth factor receptor 2 in kidney mesenchyme. Pediatr Res 64: 592–598. , , , , , .
- 2010. High incidence of vesicoureteral reflux in mice with Fgfr2 deletion in kidney mesenchyma. J Urol 183: 2077–2084. , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Kidney morphogenesis: cellular and molecular regulation. Mech Dev 92: 31–45. , , .
- 2008. A CK19(CreERT) knockin mouse line allows for conditional DNA recombination in epithelial cells in multiple endodermal organs. Genesis 46: 318–323. , , , , .
- 2006. A novel technique for temporally regulated cell type-specific Cre expression and recombination in the pituitary gonadotroph. J Mol Endocrinol 37: 63–69. , , , , , .
- 2001. Murine homolog of SALL1 is essential for ureteric bud invasion in kidney development. Development 128: 3105–3115. , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1997. GDNF induces branching and increased cell proliferation in the ureter of the mouse. Dev Biol 192: 193–198. , , , .
- 1995. Basic fibroblast growth factor can mediate the early inductive events in renal development. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 92: 4696–4700. , , .
- 2005. Inactivation of FGF8 in early mesoderm reveals an essential role in kidney development. Development 132: 3859–3871. , , , , , , , , .
- 1996a. Defects in enteric innervation and kidney development in mice lacking GDNF. Nature 382: 73–76. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1996b. GDNF is required for kidney development and enteric innervation. Cold Spring Harb Symp Quant Biol 61: 445–457. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Role of fibroblast growth factor receptors 1 and 2 in the metanephric mesenchyme. Dev Biol 291: 325–339. , , , , , , .
- 2000. Fibroblast growth factors, their receptors and signaling. Endocr Relat Cancer 7: 165–197. , , .
- 1997. Glial-cell-line-derived neurotrophic factor is required for bud initiation from ureteric epithelium. Development 124: 4077–4087. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Eya 1 acts as a critical regulator for specifying the metanephric mesenchyme. Dev Biol 284: 323–336. , , , .
- 1996. Renal agenesis and the absence of enteric neurons in mice lacking GDNF. Nature 382: 70–73. , , , , , .
- 1999. GDNF and its receptors in the regulation of the ureteric branching. Int J Dev Biol 43: 413–418. , .
- 1987. Early organogenesis of the kidney. Pediatr Nephrol 1: 385–392. , .
- 2008. Augmented and accelerated nephrogenesis in TGF-beta2 heterozygous mutant mice. Pediatr Res 63: 607–612. , , , , .
- 2009. Deletion of Frs2alpha from the ureteric epithelium causes renal hypoplasia. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 297: F1208–F1219. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1995. Pax-2 controls multiple steps of urogenital development. Development 121: 4057–4065. , , , .
- 2010. Fibroblast growth factor signalling: from development to cancer. Nat Rev Cancer 10: 116–129. , .
- 2002. Coordinating early kidney development: lessons from gene targeting. Nat Rev Genet 3: 533–543. , .
- 1996. Glial cell line-derived neurotrophic factor activates the receptor tyrosine kinase RET and promotes kidney morphogenesis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 93: 10657–10661. , , , , .
- 2009. Convergent signalling through Fgfr2 regulates divergent craniofacial morphogenesis. J Exp Zoolog B Mol Dev Evol 312B: 351–360. , , .
- 1999. Eya1-deficient mice lack ears and kidneys and show abnormal apoptosis of organ primordia. Nat Genet 23: 113–117. , , , , , .
- 2006. Receptor specificity of the fibroblast growth factor family. The complete mammalian FGF family. J Biol Chem 281: 15694–15700. , , , , , .
- 2004. Role of fibroblast growth factor receptors 1 and 2 in the ureteric bud. Dev Biol 276: 403–415. , , , , , , .