FilaminB is required for the directed localization of cell–cell adhesion molecules in embryonic epithelial development
Version of Record online: 22 DEC 2010
Copyright © 2010 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 240, Issue 1, pages 149–161, January 2011
How to Cite
Wakamatsu, Y., Sakai, D., Suzuki, T. and Osumi, N. (2011), FilaminB is required for the directed localization of cell–cell adhesion molecules in embryonic epithelial development. Dev. Dyn., 240: 149–161. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.22518
- Issue online: 22 DEC 2010
- Version of Record online: 22 DEC 2010
- Manuscript Accepted: 8 NOV 2010
- The Ministry of Education, Science, Sports and Culture, Japan. Grant Numbers: 16015214, 16027201, 17024003
- 2005. Mutations in FLNB cause boomerang dysplasia. J Med Genet 42: e43. , , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Depletion of E-cadherin disrupts establishment but not maintenance of cell junctions in Madin-Darby canine kidney epithelial cells. Mol Biol Cell 18: 189–200. , .
- 1992. Actin-binding protein requirement for cortical stability and efficient locomotion. Science 255: 325–327. , , , , , , .
- 2004. The many faces of FilaminA versatile molecular scaffold for cell motility and signalling. Nat Cell Biol 6: 1034–1038. , .
- 2006. FilaminA (FLNA) is required for cell-cell contact in vascular development and cardiac morphogenesis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 103: 19836–19841. , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Mutations in Filamin 1 prevent migration of cerebral cortical neurons in human periventricular heterotopia. Neuron 21: 1315–1325. , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Pax-5 regulates mid-hindbrain organizer's activity through an interaction with Fgf8. Dev Growth Differ 41: 59–72. , , , , , .
- 2004. Germline and mosaic mutations of FLN1 in men with periventricular heterotopia. Neurology 63: 51–56. , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1988. The role of the cell adhesion molecule uvomorulin in the formation and maintenance of the epithelial junctional complex. J Cell Biol 107: 1575–1587. , , .
- 2006. Cadherins in development: cell adhesion, sorting, and tissue morphogenesis. Genes Dev 20: 3199–3214. , .
- 1951. A series of normal stages in the development of the chick embryo. J Morph 88: 49–92. , .
- 2008. Adherens and tight junctions: structure, function and connections to the actin cytoskeleton. Biochim Biophys Acta 1778: 660–669. , .
- 2000. Avian transitin expression mirrors glial cell fate restrictions during neural crest development. Dev Dyn 218: 150–159. , , , , , , .
- 2006. N-cadherin mediates cortical organization in the mouse brain. Dev Biol 304: 22–33. , , , , , .
- 2007. Basal-to-apical cadherin flow at cell junctions. Nat Cell Biol 9: 92–98. , .
- 2004. Mutations in the gene encoding FilaminB disrupt vertebral segmentation, joint formation and skeletogenesis. Nat Genet 36: 405–410. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2007. FilaminB mutations cause chondrocyte defects in skeletal development. Hum Mol Genet 16: 1661–1675. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1993. Mapping of two genes encoding isoforms of the actin binding protein ABP-280, a dystrophin like protein, to Xq28 and to chromosome 7. Hum Mol Genet 2: 761–766. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Filamin links cell shape and cytoskeletal structure to Rho regulation by controlling accumulation of p190RhoGAP in lipid rafts. J Cell Sci 120: 456–467. , , .
- 2005. Multiple N-cadherin enhancers identified by systematic functional screening indicate its Group B1 SOX-dependent regulation in neural and placodal development. Dev Biol 286: 601–617. , , , .
- 1991. Identification of a fibroblast-derived epithelial morphogen as hepatocyte growth factor. Cell 67: 901–908. , , , .
- 2002. FilaminA-interacting protein (FILIP) regulates cortical cell migration out of ventricular zone. Nat Cell Biol 4: 495–501. , , , , , .
- 2004. FilaminA and FILIP (FilaminA-interacting protein) regulate cell polality and motility in neocortical subventricular and intermediate zones during radial migration. J Neurosci 24: 9648–9657. , , .
- 2005. Chicken gizzard Filamin, retina FilaminAnd cgABP260 are respectively, smooth muscle-, non-muscle- and pan-muscle-type isoforms: distribution and localization in muscles. Cell Motil Cytoskeleton 61: 214–225. , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. The small GTPase RalA targets Filamin to induce filopodia. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 96: 2122–2128. , , , , .
- 2006. FilGAP, a Rho- and ROCK-regulated GAP for Rac binds FilaminA to control actin remodelling. Nat Cell Biol 8: 803–814. , , .
- 2006. Filamins: promiscuous organizers of the cytoskeleton. Trends Biochem Sci 31: 411–419. , , , .
- 2005. FilaminA: phenotypic diversity. Curr Opin Genet Dev 15: 301–307. .
- 2002. Morphological boundary forms by a novel inductive event mediated by lunatic fringe and Notch during somitic segmentation. Development 129: 3633– 3644. , , .
- 2002. FilaminA and FilaminB are co-expressed within neurons during periods of neuronal migration and can physically interact. Hum Mol Genet 11: 2845–2854. , , , , , .
- 1980. Distribution of actin-binding protein and myosin in macrophages during spreading and phagocytosis. J Cell Biol 84: 215–224. , , , .
- 2001. Filamins as integrators of cell mechanics and signalling. Nat Rev Mol Cell Biol 2: 138–145. , , , , , , .
- 2006. Sox genes regulate type 2 collagen expression in avian neural crest cells. Dev Growth Differ 48: 477–486. , , , , .
- 2007. Expression of Sox9-interacting protein SC35/sfrs2 in avian embryos. Bionanotechnology based future medical engineering proceedings of the Tohoku University 21st Century Center of Excellence Programme, Imperial College London. p 199–202. , , , .
- 1998. Human beta-Filamin is a new protein that interacts with the cytoplasmic tail of glycoprotein Ibalpha. J Biol Chem 273: 17531–17538. , , , .
- 1996. Involvement of platelet-derived growth factor receptor- in hair canal formation. J Invest Dermatol 107: 770–777. , , , , .
- 2004. The bimodal role of filamin in controlling the architecture and mechanics of F-actin networks. J Biol Chem 279: 1819–1826. , , , .
- 1997. Sequential expression and role of Hu RNA-binding proteins during neurogenesis. Development 124: 3449–3460. , .
- 1993. Transition of localisation of the N-myc protein from nucleus to cytoplasm in differentiating neurons. Neuron 10: 1–9. , , , .
- 2004. Multiple roles of SOX2, a HMG-box transcription factor in avian development. Dev Dyn 229: 74–86. , , , .
- 2007. Transitin, a nestin-like intermediate filament protein, mediates cortical localization and the lateral transport of Numb in mitotic avian neuroepithelial cells. Development 134: 2425–2433. , , , , .
- 1981. Distribution of actin-binding protein and myosin in polymorphonuclear leukocytes during locomotion and phagocytosis. Cell 24: 195–202. , , , .
- 2001. Structural and functional aspects of Filamins. Biochim Biophys Acta 1538: 99–117. , .
- 2005. A mutation in the dimerization domain of FilaminC causes a novel type of autosomal dominant myofibrillar myopathy. Am J Hum Genet 77: 297–304. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2010. Cortical neural precursors inhibit their own differentiation via N-cadherin maintenance of beta-catenin signaling. Dev Cell 18: 472–479. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2007. FilaminB deficiency in mice results in skeletal malformations and impaired microvascular development. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 104: 3919–3924. , , , , , , , , , , .