Noncanonical notch function in motor axon guidance is mediated by Rac GTPase and the GEF1 domain of trio
Version of Record online: 3 JAN 2011
Copyright © 2011 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 240, Issue 2, pages 324–332, February 2011
How to Cite
Song, J. K. and Giniger, E. (2011), Noncanonical notch function in motor axon guidance is mediated by Rac GTPase and the GEF1 domain of trio. Dev. Dyn., 240: 324–332. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.22525
- Issue online: 18 JAN 2011
- Version of Record online: 3 JAN 2011
- Manuscript Accepted: 23 NOV 2010
- NIH. Grant Number: NINDS: Z01NS003013
- 2000. The Drosophila trio plays an essential role in patterning of axons by regulating their directional extension. Neuron 26: 119–131. , , , , , , .
- 2002. Association of Bcr-Abl with the proto-oncogene Vav is implicated in activation of the Rac-1 pathway. J Biol Chem 277: 12437– 12445. , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. The guanine nucleotide exchange factor trio mediates axonal development in the Drosophila embryo. Neuron 26: 93–106. , , .
- 1998. The two guanine nucleotide exchange factor domains of Trio link the Rac1 and the RhoA pathways in vivo. Oncogene 16: 147–152. , , , , , .
- 1989. Searching for pattern and mutation in the Drosophila genome with a P-lacZ vector. Genes Dev 3: 1273–1287. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Rho GTPases and their effector proteins. Biochem J 348( pt 2): 241–255. , .
- 1987. Transformation of sensory organs by mutations of the cut locus of D. melanogaster. Cell 51: 293–307. , , , , , .
- 2003. Notch steers Drosophila ISNb motor axons by regulating the Abl signaling pathway. Curr Biol 13: 967–972. , , , .
- 2005. RhoGDI: multiple functions in the regulation of Rho family GTPase activities. Biochem J 390: 1–9. , .
- 2002. Rho GTPases in cell biology. Nature 420: 629–635. , .
- 2003. Slit stimulation recruits Dock and Pak to the roundabout receptor and increases Rac activity to regulate axon repulsion at the CNS midline. Neuron 40: 113–127. , , , .
- 2007. Kalirin/Trio Rho guanine nucleotide exchange factors regulate a novel step in secretory granule maturation. Mol Biol Cell 18: 4813–4825. , , , , .
- 2005. The Abelson tyrosine kinase, the Trio GEF and Enabled interact with the Netrin receptor Frazzled in Drosophila. Development 132: 1983–1994. , , , .
- 2002. Regulation of rho family GTPases is required to prevent axons from crossing the midline. Dev Biol 252: 46–58. , .
- 1989. Drosophila abl tyrosine kinase in embryonic CNS axons: a role in axonogenesis is revealed through dosage-sensitive interactions with disabled. Cell 58: 103–113. , , , .
- 1998. A role for Abl in Notch signaling. Neuron 20: 667–681. .
- 2003. The netrin receptor UNC-40/DCC stimulates axon attraction and outgrowth through enabled and, in parallel, Rac and UNC-115/AbLIM. Neuron 37: 53–65. , , , , .
- 2003. Signalling mechanisms mediating neuronal responses to guidance cues. Nat Rev Neurosci 4: 941–956. , .
- 2002. Rac function and regulation during Drosophila development. Nature 416: 438–442. , , , , , , , , .
- 1992. Ras-related GTPases and the cytoskeleton. Mol Biol Cell 3: 475–479. .
- 1998. Rho GTPases and the actin cytoskeleton. Science 279: 509–514. .
- 2004. How do Abl family kinases regulate cell shape and movement? Trends Cell Biol 14: 36–44. , , , .
- 1995. Genetic interactions between the Drosophila Abelson (Abl) tyrosine kinase and failed axon connections (fax), a novel protein in axon bundles. Genetics 141: 595–606. , , , .
- 2001. Plexin B mediates axon guidance in Drosophila by simultaneously inhibiting active Rac and enhancing RhoA signaling. Neuron 32: 39–51. , , .
- 2005. Rho GTPases: biochemistry and biology. Annu Rev Cell Dev Biol 21: 247–269. , .
- 1998. Drosophila Rac1 controls motor axon guidance. Development 125: 453–461. , , .
- 2008. Molecular separation of two signaling pathways for the receptor, Notch. Dev Biol 313: 556–567. , , .
- 2000. Dosage-sensitive, reciprocal genetic interactions between the Abl tyrosine kinase and the putative GEF trio reveal trio's role in axon pathfinding. Neuron 26: 107–118. , , , , , , , , .
- 2000a. Rho GTPases in neuronal morphogenesis. Nat Rev Neurosci 1: 173–180. .
- 2000b. Trio quartet in D. (melanogaster). Neuron 26: 1–2. .
- 1994. Distinct morphogenetic functions of similar small GTPases: Drosophila Drac1 is involved in axonal outgrowth and myoblast fusion. Genes Dev 8: 1787–1802. , , , .
- 2003. Characterization of a brain-specific Rho GTPase-activating protein, p200RhoGAP. J Biol Chem 278: 4151–4159. , , .
- 2000. Trio combines with dock to regulate Pak activity during photoreceptor axon pathfinding in Drosophila. Cell 101: 283–294. , , , , , , .
- 1995. Rho, rac, and cdc42 GTPases regulate the assembly of multimolecular focal complexes associated with actin stress fibers, lamellipodia, and filopodia. Cell 81: 53–62. , .
- 1996. Rac is required for v-Abl tyrosine kinase to activate mitogenesis. Curr Biol 6: 76–83. , , .
- 1992. The small GTP-binding protein rho regulates the assembly of focal adhesions and actin stress fibers in response to growth factors. Cell 70: 389–399. , .
- 1992. The small GTP-binding protein rac regulates growth factor-induced membrane ruffling. Cell 70: 401–410. , , , , .
- 2005. GEF means go: turning on RHO GTPases with guanine nucleotide-exchange factors. Nat Rev Mol Cell Biol 6: 167–180. , , .
- 2004. Abl-dependent tyrosine phosphorylation of Sos-1 mediates growth-factor-induced Rac activation. Nat Cell Biol 6: 268–274. , , , , .
- 2008. The receptor protein tyrosine phosphatase PTP69D antagonizes Abl tyrosine kinase to guide axons in Drosophila. Mech Dev 125: 247–256. , , .
- 2010. Disabled is a bona fide component of the Abl signaling network. Development 137: 3719–3727. , , , , , .
- 2001. A RHO GTPase-mediated pathway is required during P cell migration in Caenorhabditis elegans. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 98: 13132–13137. , , , .
- 2005. The UNC-73/Trio RhoGEF-2 domain is required in separate isoforms for the regulation of pharynx pumping and normal neurotransmission in C. elegans. Genes Dev 19: 2016–2029. , , , .
- 2010. Rac1 regulates neuronal polarization through the WAVE complex. J Neurosci 30: 6930–6943. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Rho, Rac and Cdc42 GTPases regulate the organization of the actin cytoskeleton. Curr Opin Cell Biol 9: 86–92. , .
- 2009. C. elegans CARMIL negatively regulates UNC-73/Trio function during neuronal development. Development 136: 1201–1210. , , , , , .
- 2000. The semaphorin receptor plexin-B1 specifically interacts with active Rac in a ligand-dependent manner. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 97: 12457–12462. , , , .
- 2002. A Drosophila homolog of cyclase-associated proteins collaborates with the Abl tyrosine kinase to control midline axon pathfinding. Neuron 36: 611–622. , , , , , , .
- 2006. Son of sevenless directly links the Robo receptor to rac activation to control axon repulsion at the midline. Neuron 52: 595–607. , .
- 2007. Abl tyrosine kinases regulate cell-cell adhesion through Rho GTPases. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 104: 17686–17691. , , .
- 2008. Abl tyrosine kinases modulate cadherin-dependent adhesion upstream and downstream of Rho family GTPases. Cell Cycle 7: 444–448. , .