Drs. Fu and Yu contributed equally to this work.
Gpr177/mouse Wntless is essential for Wnt-mediated craniofacial and brain development
Article first published online: 11 JAN 2011
Copyright © 2010 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 240, Issue 2, pages 365–371, February 2011
How to Cite
Fu, J., Ivy Yu, H.-M., Maruyama, T., Mirando, A. J. and Hsu, W. (2011), Gpr177/mouse Wntless is essential for Wnt-mediated craniofacial and brain development. Dev. Dyn., 240: 365–371. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.22541
- Issue published online: 18 JAN 2011
- Article first published online: 11 JAN 2011
- Manuscript Accepted: 8 DEC 2010
- National Institutes of Health. Grant Numbers: DE015654, CA106308
- 2001. Inactivation of the beta-catenin gene by Wnt1-Cre-mediated deletion results in dramatic brain malformation and failure of craniofacial development. Development 128: 1253–1264. , , , , , , , , .
- 2010. Generation of mice with a conditional null allele for Wntless. Genesis 48: 554–558. , , , , .
- 2000. Fate of the mammalian cranial neural crest during tooth and mandibular morphogenesis. Development 127: 1671–1679. , , , , , , , , .
- 2008. SUMO-specific protease 2 is essential for modulating p53-Mdm2 in development of trophoblast stem cell niches and lineages. PLoS Biol 6: e310. , , , .
- 2006. Wnt/beta-catenin signaling in development and disease. Cell 127: 469–480. .
- 2007. The making of Wnt: new insights into Wnt maturation, sorting and secretion. Development 134: 3–12. , .
- 1996. Engrailed-1 as a target of the Wnt-1 signalling pathway in vertebrate midbrain development. Nature 383: 332– 334. , .
- 2005. Modulation of Fgf8 activity during vertebrate brain development. Brain Res Brain Res Rev 49: 150–157. , , .
- 2009. Reciprocal regulation of Wnt and Gpr177/mouse Wntless is required for embryonic axis formation. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 106: 18598–18603. , , , , .
- 2008. Deciphering the function of canonical Wnt signals in development and disease: conditional loss- and gain-of-function mutations of beta-catenin in mice. Genes Dev 22: 2308–2341. , , , .
- 2007. Helping Wingless take flight: how WNT proteins are secreted. Nat Rev Mol Cell Biol 8: 331–336. , , .
- 1994. Fgf-8 expression in the post-gastrulation mouse suggests roles in the development of the face, limbs and central nervous system. Mech Dev 48: 129–138. , , , , .
- 2010. Manipulating gene activity in Wnt1-expressing precursors of neural epithelial and neural crest cells. Dev Dyn 239: 338–345. , , .
- 1997. Wnt signalling required for expansion of neural crest and CNS progenitors. Nature 389: 966– 970. , , , , .
- 2000. Fate of the mammalian cardiac neural crest. Development 127: 1607–1616. , , , , .
- Samuel Lunenfeld Research Institute MSHTOC. 1991. Subtle cerebellar phenotype in mice homozygous for a targeted deletion of the En-2 homeobox. Science 251: 1239– 1243. , , , , ,
- 2001. EN and GBX2 play essential roles downstream of FGF8 in patterning the mouse mid/hindbrain region. Development 128: 181–191. , .
- 2007. Craniosynostosis caused by Axin2 deficiency is mediated through distinct functions of beta-catenin in proliferation and differentiation. Dev Biol 301: 298–308. , , .
- 2008. Co-opted JNK/SAPK signaling in Wnt/beta-catenin-induced tumorigenesis. Neoplasia 10: 1004–1013. , , , .
- 1999. Requirement for Wnt3 in vertebrate axis formation. Nat Genet 22: 361–365. , , , , , .
- 2004. The Wnt signaling pathway in development and disease. Annu Rev Cell Dev Biol 20: 781–810. , .
- 1993. Two rhombomeres are altered in Hoxa-1 mutant mice. Development 119: 319–338. , , , , , , , , .
- 2010. The balance of WNT and FGF signaling influences mesenchymal stem cell fate during skeletal development. Sci Signal 3: ra40. , , , .
- 1990. The Wnt-1 (int-1) proto-oncogene is required for development of a large region of the mouse brain. Cell 62: 1073–1085. , .
- 1992. The midbrain-hindbrain phenotype of Wnt-1-/Wnt-1- mice results from stepwise deletion of engrailed-expressing cells by 9.5 days postcoitum. Cell 69: 581–595. , , , .
- 1991. Transcription factor AP-2 is expressed in neural crest cell lineages during mouse embryogenesis. Genes Dev 5: 105–119. , , , , .
- 2005. Isthmus organizer for midbrain and hindbrain development. Brain Res Brain Res Rev 49: 120–126. , , , .
- 1999. Generalized lacZ expression with the ROSA26 Cre reporter strain. Nat Genet 21: 70–71. .
- 2006. Monounsaturated fatty acid modification of Wnt protein: its role in Wnt secretion. Dev Cell 11: 791–801. , , , , , , , .
- 1990. Targeted disruption of the murine int-1 proto-oncogene resulting in severe abnormalities in midbrain and cerebellar development. Nature 346: 847–850. , .
- 2006. Knockout mouse models to study Wnt signal transduction. Trends Genet 22: 678–689. , .
- 2003. Wnt proteins are lipid-modified and can act as stem cell growth factors. Nature 423: 448–452. , , , , , , , .
- 1994. Multiple developmental defects in Engrailed-1 mutant mice: an early mid-hindbrain deletion and patterning defects in forelimbs and sternum. Development 120: 2065–2075. , , .
- 1999. A Wnt5a pathway underlies outgrowth of multiple structures in the vertebrate embryo. Development 126: 1211–1223. , , , .
- 2005a. The role of Axin2 in calvarial morphogenesis and craniosynostosis. Development 132: 1995–2005. , , , , , , , .
- 2005b. Development of a unique system for spatiotemporal and lineage-specific gene expression in mice. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 102: 8615–8620. , , , , .
- 2010. Expression of Gpr177, a Wnt trafficking regulator, in mouse embryogenesis. Dev Dyn 239: 2102–2109. , , , .
- 2007. Impaired neural development caused by inducible expression of Axin in transgenic mice. Mech Dev 124: 146–156. , , , .