Patterns & Phenotypes
Autotaxin is required for the cranial neural tube closure and establishment of the midbrain–hindbrain boundary during mouse development
Version of Record online: 11 JAN 2011
Copyright © 2011 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 240, Issue 2, pages 413–421, February 2011
How to Cite
Koike, S., Yutoh, Y., Keino-Masu, K., Noji, S., Masu, M. and Ohuchi, H. (2011), Autotaxin is required for the cranial neural tube closure and establishment of the midbrain–hindbrain boundary during mouse development. Dev. Dyn., 240: 413–421. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.22543
- Issue online: 18 JAN 2011
- Version of Record online: 11 JAN 2011
- Manuscript Accepted: 1 DEC 2010
- Grants-in-Aid for Scientific Research on Priority Areas-Molecular Brain Science from the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology of Japan (MEXT). Grant Numbers: 18022029, 17024006
- 1999. Developmental expression analysis of murine autotaxin (ATX). Mech Dev 84: 121–125. , , , , .
- 2001. Otx genes in the development and evolution of the vertebrate brain. Int J Dev Neurosci 19: 353–363. , , , , , .
- 2000. The morphogenetic role of midline mesendoderm and ectoderm in the development of the forebrain and the midbrain of the mouse embryo. Development 127: 1799–1813. , , , , , , , .
- 2010. International union of basic and clinical pharmacology. LXXVIII. Lysophospholipid receptor nomenclature. Pharmacol Rev 62: 579–587. , , , , .
- 2001. Towards a cellular and molecular understanding of neurulation. Dev Dyn 221: 117–145. , .
- 2005. Neurulation in the cranial region–normal and abnormal. J Anat 207: 623–635. .
- 2003. Autotaxin is released from adipocytes, catalyzes lysophosphatidic acid synthesis, and activates preadipocyte proliferation. Up-regulated expression with adipocyte differentiation and obesity. J Biol Chem 278: 18162–18169. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Functional invalidation of the autotaxin gene by a single amino acid mutation in mouse is lethal. FEBS Lett 581: 3572–3578. , , , , , .
- 2010. ATX expression and LPA signalling are vital for the development of the nervous system. Dev Biol 339: 451–464. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Basement membrane composition in the early mouse embryo day 7. Dev Dyn 233: 1140–1148. , , , , , .
- 1996. Rpx: a novel anterior-restricted homeobox gene progressively activated in the prechordal plate, anterior neural plate and Rathke's pouch of the mouse embryo. Development 122: 41–52. , , .
- 1991. Expression pattern of the Brachyury gene in whole-mount TWis/TWis mutant embryos. Development 113: 913–917. .
- 2002. A sonic hedgehog-dependent signaling relay regulates growth of diencephalic and mesencephalic primordia in the early mouse embryo. Development 129: 4807–4819. , .
- 2000. Otx2, Gbx2 and Fgf8 interact to position and maintain a mid-hindbrain organizer. Curr Opin Cell Biol 12: 736–741. , , .
- 1995. The atlas of mouse development. 2nd ed. San Diego, CA: Academic Press, Ltd. 525 p.
- 2005. Compartments and their boundaries in vertebrate brain development. Nat Rev Neurosci 6: 553–564. , .
- 2009. Autotaxin/lysophospholipase D-mediated lysophosphatidic acid signaling is required to form distinctive large lysosomes in the visceral endoderm cells of the mouse yolk sac. J Biol Chem 284: 33561–33570. , , , , , .
- Deficiency of autotaxin/lysophospholipase D results in head cavity formation in mouse embryos through the LPA receptor-Rho-ROCK pathway. 2010. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 40: 66–71. , , .
- 2005. Essential role for sphingosine kinases in neural and vascular development. Mol Cell Biol 25: 11113–11121. , , , , , .
- 2007. Diversified expression patterns of autotaxin, a gene for phospholipid-generating enzyme during mouse and chicken development. Dev Dyn 236: 1134–1143. , , , , , , , , .
- 1995. Six3, a murine homologue of the sine oculis gene, demarcates the most anterior border of the developing neural plate and is expressed during eye development. Development 121: 4045–4055. , , , , , .
- 2003. Forebrain gene expression domains and the evolving prosomeric model. Trends Neurosci 26: 469–476. , .
- 1999. Axial mesendoderm refines rostrocaudal pattern in the chick nervous system. Development 126: 2921–2934. , , .
- 1998. Regionalization of the prosencephalic neural plate. Annu Rev Neurosci 21: 445–477. , , , .
- 1997. Inductive interactions direct early regionalization of the mouse forebrain. Development 124: 2709–2718. , .
- 2005. NPP-type ectophosphodiesterases: unity in diversity. Trends Biochem Sci 30: 542–550. , , .
- 2006. Dose-dependent functions of Fgf8 in regulating telencephalic patterning centers. Development 133: 1831–1844. , , , , , , , .
- 1992. Identification, purification, and partial sequence analysis of autotaxin, a novel motility-stimulating protein. J Biol Chem 267: 2524–2529. , , , , , , .
- 2006. Autotaxin stabilizes blood vessels and is required for embryonic vasculature by producing lysophosphatidic acid. J Biol Chem 281: 25822–25830. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Identification of human plasma lysophospholipase D, a lysophosphatidic acid-producing enzyme, as autotaxin, a multifunctional phosphodiesterase. J Biol Chem 277: 39436– 39442. , , , , , , .
- 2002. Autotaxin has lysophospholipase D activity leading to tumor cell growth and motility by lysophosphatidic acid production. J Cell Biol 158: 227–233. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Regulation and biological activities of the autotaxin-LPA axis. Prog Lipid Res 46: 145–160. , .
- 2006. Autotaxin, a secreted lysophospholipase D, is essential for blood vessel formation during development. Mol Cell Biol 26: 5015–5022. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Live imaging and genetic analysis of mouse notochord formation reveals regional morphogenetic mechanisms. Dev Cell 13: 884–896. , , , , .