Special Issue Research Article
Neurogenin3 initiates stepwise delamination of differentiating endocrine cells during pancreas development
Article first published online: 1 FEB 2011
Copyright © 2011 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Special Issue: Special Focus on Endoderm
Volume 240, Issue 3, pages 589–604, March 2011
How to Cite
Gouzi, M., Kim, Y. H., Katsumoto, K., Johansson, K. and Grapin-Botton, A. (2011), Neurogenin3 initiates stepwise delamination of differentiating endocrine cells during pancreas development. Dev. Dyn., 240: 589–604. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.22544
- Issue published online: 17 FEB 2011
- Article first published online: 1 FEB 2011
- Manuscript Accepted: 8 DEC 2010
- 2009. Epithelial-mesenchymal transitions: the importance of changing cell state in development and disease. J Clin Invest 119: 1438–1449. , , , , .
- 1999. Notch signalling controls pancreatic cell differentiation. Nature 400: 877–881. , , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Pivotal roles for eomesodermin during axis formation, epithelium-to-mesenchyme transition and endoderm specification in the mouse. Development 135: 501–511. , , , .
- 2000. The transcription factor snail is a repressor of E-cadherin gene expression in epithelial tumour cells. Nat Cell Biol 2: 84–89. , , , , , , .
- 2007. Islet-cell-to-cell communication as basis for normal insulin secretion. Diabetes Obes Metab 9( suppl 2): 118–132. , , , , , , , .
- 1989. Homologous but not heterologous contact increases the insulin secretion of individual pancreatic B-cells. Exp Cell Res 184: 72–80. , , .
- 2003. Single-cell transcript analysis of pancreas development. Dev Cell 4: 383–393. , .
- 2000. Expression and function of alpha(v)beta(3) and alpha(v)beta(5) integrins in the developing pancreas: roles in the adhesion and migration of putative endocrine progenitor cells. J Cell Biol 150: 1445–1460. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2009. One process for pancreatic beta-cell coalescence into islets involves an epithelial-mesenchymal transition. J Endocrinol 203: 19–31. , , , .
- 1996. Cadherins regulate aggregation of pancreatic beta-cells in vivo. Development 122: 2895–2902. , , .
- 1991. Polyclonal origin of pancreatic islets in aggregation mouse chimaeras. Development 112: 1115–1121. , , , , , .
- 2009. Pancreatic neurogenin 3-expressing cells are unipotent islet precursors. Development 136: 3567–3574. , .
- 1974. [Immunocytological study of the differentiation of the endocrine pancreas in the chick embryo. I. Islands of Langerhans]. Gen Comp Endocrinol 22: 62–69. , .
- 2003. Phosphorylation regulates the subcellular location and activity of the snail transcriptional repressor. Mol Cell Biol 23: 5078–5089. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Coupling of cell migration with neurogenesis by proneural bHLH factors. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 103: 1319–1324. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Cdc42, Par6, and aPKC regulate Arp2/3-mediated endocytosis to control local adherens junction stability. Curr Biol 18: 1631–1638. , , , .
- 2000. neurogenin3 is required for the development of the four endocrine cell lineages of the pancreas. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 97: 1607–1611. , , , .
- 2001. Key events of pancreas formation are triggered in gut endoderm by ectopic expression of pancreatic regulatory genes. Genes Dev 15: 444–454. , , .
- 2009. Rac1 regulates pancreatic islet morphogenesis. BMC Dev Biol 9: 2. , , , .
- 2002. Direct evidence for the pancreatic lineage: NGN3+ cells are islet progenitors and are distinct from duct progenitors. Development 129: 2447–2457. , , .
- 2005. Minireview: transcriptional regulation in pancreatic development. Endocrinology 146: 1025–1034. , , .
- 2005. Phosphorylation of Neurogenin2 specifies the migration properties and the dendritic morphology of pyramidal neurons in the neocortex. Neuron 48: 45–62. , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2008. EPB41L5 functions to post-transcriptionally regulate cadherin and integrin during epithelial-mesenchymal transition. J Cell Biol 182: 1217–1230. , , , , .
- 1993. Molecular cloning of mouse pancreatic islet R-cadherin: differential expression in endocrine and exocrine tissue. Mol Endocrinol 7: 1151–1160. , , , , , , .
- 2003. Links between signal transduction, transcription and adhesion in epithelial bud development. Nature 422: 317–322. , , , .
- 2010. N-cadherin is dispensable for pancreas development but required for beta-cell granule turnover. Genesis 48: 374–381. , , , , , , .
- 2002. Development and diseases of the pancreas. Clin Genet 62: 14–23. , .
- 2007. Temporal control of neurogenin3 activity in pancreas progenitors reveals competence windows for the generation of different endocrine cell types. Dev Cell 12: 457–465. , , , , , , .
- 2009. Cdc42-mediated tubulogenesis controls cell specification. Cell 139: 791–801. , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Synchronization of neurogenesis and motor neuron specification by direct coupling of bHLH and homeodomain transcription factors. Neuron 38: 731–745. , .
- 2008. Transcription factor expression in the developing human fetal endocrine pancreas. Diabetologia 51: 1169–1180. , , , , , , .
- 1999. Neurogenin1 and neurogenin2 control two distinct waves of neurogenesis in developing dorsal root ganglia. Genes Dev 13: 1717–1728. , , , .
- 2006. Cooperation between snail and LEF-1 transcription factors is essential for TGF-beta1-induced epithelial-mesenchymal transition. Mol Biol Cell 17: 1871–1879. , , .
- 2000. Impaired migration and delayed differentiation of pancreatic islet cells in mice lacking EGF-receptors. Development 127: 2617–2627. , , , , , , , , .
- 1998. TGF-beta plays a key role in morphogenesis of the pancreatic islets of Langerhans by controlling the activity of the matrix metalloproteinase MMP-2. J Cell Biol 143: 827–836. , , , .
- 2003. TGFbeta3 signaling activates transcription of the LEF1 gene to induce epithelial mesenchymal transformation during mouse palate development. J Cell Biol 163: 1291–1301. , .
- 1992. Cloning and developmental expression of Sna, a murine homologue of the Drosophila snail gene. Development 116: 227–237. , , , .
- 1988. Expressed recombinant cadherins mediate cell sorting in model systems. Cell 54: 993–1001. , , .
- 2003. Slug expression during organogenesis in mice. Anat Rec A Discov Mol Cell Evol Biol 271: 189–191. , , .
- 2008. Roles of achaete-scute homologue 1 in DKK1 and E-cadherin repression and neuroendocrine differentiation in lung cancer. Cancer Res 68: 1647–1655. , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Matrix metalloproteinases 2 and 9 are dispensable for pancreatic islet formation and function in vivo. Diabetes 54: 694–701. , , , , , .
- 2002. Novel SOX9 expression during human pancreas development correlates to abnormalities in Campomelic dysplasia. Mech Dev 116: 223–226. , , , , , .
- 2000. Development of hormonal peptides and processing enzymes in the embryonic avian pancreas with special reference to co-localisation. Histochem Cell Biol 114: 105–112. , .
- 2010. The transcriptional activity of Neurog3 affects migration and differentiation of ectopic endocrine cells in chicken endoderm. Dev Dyn 239: 1950–1966. , , , , , , .
- 2007. Snail2, a mediator of epithelial-mesenchymal transitions, expressed in progenitor cells of the developing endocrine pancreas. Gene Expr Patterns 7: 471–479. , .
- 2000. Expression of neurogenin3 reveals an islet cell precursor population in the pancreas. Development 127: 3533–3542. , , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Conserved and divergent roles for members of the snail family of transcription factors in the chick and mouse embryo. Development 125: 3111–3121. , , .
- 2007. SOX9 is required for maintenance of the pancreatic progenitor cell pool. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 104: 1865–1870. , , , , , , , .
- 1996. neurogenins, a novel family of atonal-related bHLH transcription factors, are putative mammalian neuronal determination genes that reveal progenitor cell heterogeneity in the developing CNS and PNS. Mol Cell Neurosci 8: 221–241. , , .
- 1994. Experimental specification of cell sorting, tissue spreading, and specific spatial patterning by quantitative differences in cadherin expression. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 91: 206–209. , .
- 2001. Neurogenin promotes neurogenesis and inhibits glial differentiation by independent mechanisms. Cell 104: 365–376. , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Epithelial-mesenchymal transitions in development and disease. Cell 139: 871–890. , , , .
- 2006. Slug stability is dynamically regulated during neural crest development by the F-box protein Ppa. Development 133: 3359–3370. , .
- 2005. Pak1 phosphorylation of snail, a master regulator of epithelial-to-mesenchyme transition, modulates snail's subcellular localization and functions. Cancer Res 65: 3179–3184. , , , , , .
- 2003. Recognition of the neural chemoattractant Netrin-1 by integrins alpha6beta4 and alpha3beta1 regulates epithelial cell adhesion and migration. Dev Cell 5: 695–707. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Wnt-dependent regulation of the E-cadherin repressor snail. J Biol Chem 280: 11740–11748. , , , , .
- 2008. ADP-ribosylation factor-like GTPase ARFRP1 is required for trans-Golgi to plasma membrane trafficking of E-cadherin. J Biol Chem 283: 27179–27188. , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Dual regulation of Snail by GSK-3beta-mediated phosphorylation in control of epithelial-mesenchymal transition. Nat Cell Biol 6: 931–940. , , , , , , .
- 2005. Expression of the novel Snai-related zinc-finger transcription factor gene Smuc during mouse development. Int J Mol Med 15: 945–948. , , , , , , , , , , , , .