Special Issue Reviews–A Peer Reviewed Forum
Facultative stem cells in liver and pancreas: Fact and fancy
Article first published online: 10 FEB 2011
Copyright © 2011 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Special Issue: Special Focus on Endoderm
Volume 240, Issue 3, pages 521–529, March 2011
How to Cite
Yanger, K. and Stanger, B. Z. (2011), Facultative stem cells in liver and pancreas: Fact and fancy. Dev. Dyn., 240: 521–529. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.22561
- Issue published online: 17 FEB 2011
- Article first published online: 10 FEB 2011
- Manuscript Accepted: 8 DEC 2010
- 2003. Fusion of bone-marrow-derived cells with Purkinje neurons, cardiomyocytes and hepatocytes. Nature 425: 968–973. , , , , , , , , .
- 1993. A second pathway for regeneration of adult exocrine and endocrine pancreas. A possible recapitulation of embryonic development. Diabetes 42: 1715–1720. , , , .
- 2004. Regeneration of male germline stem cells by spermatogonial dedifferentiation in vivo. Science 304: 1331–1334. , .
- 2005. Appendage regeneration in adult vertebrates and implications for regenerative medicine. Science 310: 1919–1923. , .
- 2008. Regulated beta-cell regeneration in the adult mouse pancreas. Diabetes 57: 958–966. , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Proliferation and differentiation of spermatogonial stem cells. Reproduction 121: 347–354. .
- 2007. Regeneration in liver and pancreas: time to cut the umbilical cord? Sci STKE 2007: pe66. , .
- 2004. Adult pancreatic beta-cells are formed by self-duplication rather than stem-cell differentiation. Nature 429: 41–46. , , , .
- 2008. Surface markers for the murine oval cell response. Hepatology 48: 1282–1291. , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Liver repair by intra- and extrahepatic progenitors. Stem Cell Rev 1: 61–64. , .
- 2005. The molecular repertoire of the ‘almighty’ stem cell. Nat Rev Mol Cell Biol 6: 726–737. , , .
- 1994. Origin and fate of oval cells in dipin-induced hepatocarcinogenesis in the mouse. Am J Pathol 145: 409–422. , , .
- 1956. Similarities in the sequence of early histological changes induced in the liver of the rat by ethionine, 2-acetylamino-fluorene, and 3'-methyl-4-dimethylaminoazobenzene. Cancer Res 16: 142–148. .
- 2003. The role of hepatocytes and oval cells in liver regeneration and repopulation. Mech Dev 120: 117–130. , .
- 2010. Continuous cell supply from a Sox9-expressing progenitor zone in adult liver, exocrine pancreas and intestine. Nat Genet [Epub ahead of print]. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Proendocrine genes coordinate the pancreatic islet differentiation program in vitro. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 101: 13245–13250. , , , , , , , , .
- 1983. Phenotypic characterization of hepatic proliferation. Antigenic expression by proliferating epithelial cells in fetal liver, massive hepatic necrosis, and nodular transformation of the liver. Am J Pathol 110: 70–74. , , , , .
- 1985. Differential cytokeratin and alpha-fetoprotein expression in morphologically distinct epithelial cells emerging at the early stage of rat hepatocarcinogenesis. Cancer Res 45: 673–681. , , .
- 1988a. Biliary epithelial and hepatocytic cell lineage relationships in embryonic rat liver as determined by the differential expression of cytokeratins, alpha-fetoprotein, albumin, and cell surface-exposed components. Cancer Res 48: 4909–4918. , , .
- 1988b. Promotion of growth and differentiation of rat ductular oval cells in primary culture. Cancer Res 48: 368–378. , , , .
- 1983. Sequential analysis of hepatic carcinogenesis. Regeneration of liver after carbon tetrachloride-induced liver necrosis when hepatocyte proliferation is inhibited by 2-acetylaminofluorene. Lab Invest 48: 224–230. , , , .
- 2006. Beta-cell differentiation from nonendocrine epithelial cells of the adult human pancreas. Nat Med 12: 310–316. , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Recapitulation of embryonic neuroendocrine differentiation in adult human pancreatic duct cells expressing neurogenin 3. J Cell Biol 159: 303–312. , , , , , , , .
- 1931. Experimental pathology of the liver: 1. Restoration of liver of white rat following surgical removal. Arch Pathol Lab Med 12: 186–202. .
- 2003. Experimental conversion of liver to pancreas. Curr Biol 13: 105–115. , , , .
- 2008. Carbonic anhydrase II-positive pancreatic cells are progenitors for both endocrine and exocrine pancreas after birth. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 105: 19915–19919. , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Recapitulation of elements of embryonic development in adult mouse pancreatic regeneration. Gastroenterology 128: 728–741. , , , , , .
- 2009. Cells keep a memory of their tissue origin during axolotl limb regeneration. Nature 460: 60–65. , , , , , , .
- 2006. A novel prognostic subtype of human hepatocellular carcinoma derived from hepatic progenitor cells. Nat Med 12: 410–416. , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Adult stem cells and mammalian epimorphic regeneration-insights from studying annual renewal of deer antlers. Curr Stem Cell Res Ther 4: 237–251. , , .
- 2007. Liver regeneration. J Cell Physiol 213: 286–300. .
- 2005. Transdifferentiation of rat hepatocytes into biliary cells after bile duct ligation and toxic biliary injury. Hepatology 41: 535–544. , , .
- 2007. Recovery from diabetes in mice by beta cell regeneration. J Clin Invest 117: 2553–2561. , , .
- 2008. Stem cells, cell transplantation and liver repopulation. Biochim Biophys Acta 1782: 61–74. , .
- 2009. Potential hepatic stem cells reside in EpCAM+ cells of normal and injured mouse liver. Development 136: 1951–1960. , , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Serial transplantation reveals the stem-cell-like regenerative potential of adult mouse hepatocytes. Am J Pathol 151: 1273–1280. , , , , .
- 1999. Bone marrow as a potential source of hepatic oval cells. Science 284: 1168–1170. , , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Direct in vivo cell lineage analysis in the retrorsine and 2AAF models of liver injury after genetic labeling in adult and newborn rats. PLoS One 4: e7267. , , .
- 1990. Stem cells: attributes, cycles, spirals, pitfalls and uncertainties. Lessons for and from the crypt. Development 110: 1001–1020. , .
- 1999. Atypical ductular proliferation and its inhibition by transforming growth factor beta1 in the 3,5-diethoxycarbonyl-1,4-dihydrocollidine mouse model for chronic alcoholic liver disease. Lab Invest 79: 103–109. , , , , , .
- 2000. Reversal of insulin-dependent diabetes using islets generated in vitro from pancreatic stem cells. Nat Med 6: 278–282. , , , , , .
- 1983. A new approach to the induction of duct epithelial hyperplasia and nesidioblastosis by cellophane wrapping of the hamster pancreas. J Surg Res 35: 63–72. , , .
- 2003. Progenitor cells in diseased human liver. Semin Liver Dis 23: 385–396. , , .
- 2010. Isolation and characterization of centroacinar/terminal ductal progenitor cells in adult mouse pancreas. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 107: 75–80. , , , , , .
- 2009. Foxl1 is a marker of bipotential hepatic progenitor cells in mice. Hepatology 49: 920–929. , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Clonal identification of multipotent precursors from adult mouse pancreas that generate neural and pancreatic lineages. Nat Biotechnol 22: 1115–1124. , , , , , , , .
- 1999. The homeodomain protein IDX-1 increases after an early burst of proliferation during pancreatic regeneration. Diabetes 48: 507–513. , , , , , , , , .
- 1990. Isolation, culture, and transplantation of intrahepatic biliary epithelial cells and oval cells. Pathobiology 58: 44–64. , , , .
- 2006. Essential developmental biology. 2nd ed. Bath: Blackwell Publishing .
- 2008. Origin of stem cells in organogenesis. Science 322: 1498–1501. .
- 2009. Pancreatic exocrine duct cells give rise to insulin-producing beta cells during embryogenesis but not after birth. Dev Cell 17: 849–860. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Organ size is limited by the number of embryonic progenitor cells in the pancreas but not the liver. Nature 445: 886–891. , , .
- 2004. Bipotential mouse embryonic liver stem cell lines contribute to liver regeneration and differentiate as bile ducts and hepatocytes. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 101: 8360–8365. , , , , .
- 2006. Induction of pluripotent stem cells from mouse embryonic and adult fibroblast cultures by defined factors. Cell 126: 663–676. , .
- 2004. Liver regeneration: from myth to mechanism. Nat Rev Mol Cell Biol 5: 836–847. .
- 2007. Growth and regeneration of adult beta cells does not involve specialized progenitors. Dev Cell 12: 817–826. , , , , .
- 2010. Conversion of adult pancreatic alpha-cells to beta-cells after extreme beta-cell loss. Nature 464: 1149–1154. , , , , , , .
- 1984. A diploid epithelial cell line from normal adult rat liver with phenotypic properties of ‘oval’ cells. Exp Cell Res 154: 38–52. , , , .
- 2004. Plasticity of adult stem cells. Cell 116: 639–648. , .
- 2003a. The origin and liver repopulating capacity of murine oval cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 100: 11881–11888. , , , , , .
- 2003b. Cell fusion is the principal source of bone-marrow-derived hepatocytes. Nature 422: 897–901. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Beta cells can be generated from endogenous progenitors in injured adult mouse pancreas. Cell 132: 197–207. , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Differentiation of affinity-purified human pancreatic duct cells to beta-cells. Diabetes 56: 1802–1809. , , , , , , .
- 1994. Murine pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma produced by in vitro transduction of polyoma middle T oncogene into the islets of Langerhans. Am J Pathol 145: 671–684. , .
- 2008. Genetic programming of liver and pancreas progenitors: lessons for stem-cell differentiation. Nat Rev Genet 9: 329–340. .
- 2008. Generation and regeneration of cells of the liver and pancreas. Science 322: 1490–1494. , .
- 2007. Identification of hepatocytic and bile ductular cell lineages and candidate stem cells in bipolar ductular reactions in cirrhotic human liver. Hepatology 45: 716–724. , , , , .
- 2004. The nature of stem cells: state rather than entity. Nat Rev Genet 5: 873–878. .