Special Issue Reviews–A Peer Reviewed Forum
Budding behaviors: Growth of the limb as a model of morphogenesis
Version of Record online: 7 MAR 2011
Copyright © 2011 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Special Issue: Special Issue on Limb Development
Volume 240, Issue 5, pages 1054–1062, May 2011
How to Cite
Hopyan, S., Sharpe, J. and Yang, Y. (2011), Budding behaviors: Growth of the limb as a model of morphogenesis. Dev. Dyn., 240: 1054–1062. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.22601
- Issue online: 20 APR 2011
- Version of Record online: 7 MAR 2011
- Manuscript Accepted: 8 FEB 2010
- 2003. Tbx5 is essential for forelimb bud initiation following patterning of the limb field in the mouse embryo. Development 130: 623–633. , , , , , , , .
- 2002. T-box gene tbx5 is essential for formation of the pectoral limb bud. Nature 417: 754–758. , , , , .
- 2009. Convergent extension movements in growth plate chondrocytes require gpi-anchored cell surface proteins. Development 136: 3463–3474. , , , .
- 2007. Cell tracing reveals a dorsoventral lineage restriction plane in the mouse limb bud mesenchyme. Development 134: 3713–3722. , , , .
- 2005. The orientation of cell divisions determines the shape of Drosophila organs. Curr Biol 15: 1640–1644. , , .
- 2007. Visualization of cartilage formation: insight into cellular properties of skeletal progenitors and chondrodysplasia syndromes. Dev Cell 12: 931–941. , .
- 2010. The role of spatially controlled cell proliferation in limb bud morphogenesis. PLoS Biol 8: e1000420. , , , , , , , .
- 1995. Blood vessel formation in the avian limb bud involves angioblastic and angiotrophic growth. Dev Dyn 202: 181–194. , , , , , .
- 1991. Linear relationship between the volume of hypertrophic chondrocytes and the rate of longitudinal bone growth in growth plates. J Orthop Res 9: 348–359. , , , .
- 1982. Innervation of the undifferentiated limb bud in rabbit embryo. J Anat 134: 795–808. , .
- 2002. Limb muscle development. Int J Dev Biol 46: 905–914. , .
- 2005. Comparative analysis of genes downstream of the Hoxd cluster in developing digits and external genitalia. Development 132: 3055–3067. , .
- 2009. Live optical projection tomography. Organogenesis 5: 211–216. , .
- 2008. Limb bud and flank mesoderm have distinct “physical phenotypes” that may contribute to limb budding. Dev Biol 321: 319–330. , , , , .
- 1999. A mathematical model for outgrowth and spatial patterning of the vertebrate limb bud. J Theor Biol 197: 295–330. , .
- 1930. Row formation and other types of arrangement of cartilage cells in endochondral ossification. Anat Rec 46: 385–399. .
- 1969. Computer simulation of vertebrate limb morphogenesis. Nature 221: 244–248. , .
- 1974. A scanning electron microscope study of the early limb-bud in normal and talpid3 mutant chick embryos. J Embryol Exp Morphol 31: 761–785. , , .
- 1981. Golgi orientation and cell behaviour in the developing pattern of chondrogenic condensations in chick limb-bud mesenchyme. Histochem J 13: 615–630. , .
- 2006. Birth and death of cells in limb development: a mapping study. Dev Dyn 235: 2521–2537. , , .
- 2011. Wnt morphogen gradients establish planar cell polarity by inducing Vangl2 phosphorylation through Ror2. Dev Cell 20: 163–176. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1990. Expression of multiple novel Wnt-1/int-1-related genes during fetal and adult mouse development. Genes Dev 4: 2319–2332. , , .
- 2004. Planar cell polarity signalling controls cell division orientation during zebrafish gastrulation. Nature 430: 689–693. , , .
- 1993. Neural crest cell migration into the limb bud of avian embryos. Prog Clin Biol Res 383A: 391–402. , .
- 2009. WNT11 acts as a directional cue to organize the elongation of early muscle fibres. Nature 457: 589–593. , , .
- 2010. WNT5A/JNK and FGF/MAPK pathways regulate the cellular events shaping the vertebrate limb bud. Curr Biol 20: 1993–2002. , , , , , .
- 2007. Tbx5 is dispensable for forelimb outgrowth. Development 134: 85–92. , , .
- 1978. Liquid-tissue behavior and differential cohesiveness during chick limb budding. J Embryol Exp Morphol 47: 1–15. , , .
- 1977. Patterns of cell polarity in the developing mouse limb. Dev Biol 59: 164–173. , .
- 1980. Cell polarity in precartilage mouse limb mesenchyme cells. Dev Biol 78: 511–520. , .
- 1970. Cell division in the early growth and morphogenesis of the chick limb. Nature 226: 764–766. , .
- 2003. The relationship between limb muscle and endothelial cells migrating from single somite. Anat Embryol (Berl) 206: 283–289. , , .
- 1994. Sorting out of cells from different parts and stages of the chick limb bud. Dev Biol 162: 71–76. , , .
- 1998. Pattern formation in dissociated limb bud mesenchyme in vitro and in vivo. Wound Repair Regen 6: 398–402. , , , , , .
- 2002. Shaping the vertebrate body plan by polarized embryonic cell movements. Science 298: 1950–1954. .
- 1983. A freeze-fracture and morphometric analysis of gap junctions of limb bud cells: initial studies on a possible mechanism for morphogenetic signalling during development. Prog Clin Biol Res 110( pt A): 119–130. , .
- 1999. Cell migration and chick limb development: chemotactic action of FGF-4 and the AER. Dev Biol 211: 335–347. , .
- 2009. Oriented cell division as a response to cell death and cell competition. Curr Biol 19: 1821–1826. , , .
- 2009. Noncanonical frizzled signaling regulates cell polarity of growth plate chondrocytes. Development 136: 1083–1092. , .
- 2006. Wnt/beta-catenin signaling interacts differentially with Ihh signaling in controlling endochondral bone and synovial joint formation. Development 133: 3695–3707. , , , , .
- 1986. Normal development of the skeleton in chick limb buds devoid of dorsal ectoderm. Dev Biol 118: 233–246. , .
- 2008. Growth based morphogenesis of vertebrate limb bud. Bull Math Biol 70: 1957–1978. , .
- 1992. Fgf-4 expression during gastrulation, myogenesis, limb and tooth development in the mouse. Development 114: 755–768. , .
- 1993. FGF-4 replaces the apical ectodermal ridge and directs outgrowth and patterning of the limb. Cell 75: 579–587. , , , , .
- 2005. Relations and interactions between cranial mesoderm and neural crest populations. J Anat 207: 575–601. , .
- 2002. Differential cell affinity and sorting of anterior and posterior cells during outgrowth of recombinant avian limb buds. Dev Biol 250: 292–304. , , .
- 2007. Adhesion between cells, diffusion of growth factors, and elasticity of the AER produce the paddle shape of the chick limb. Physica A 373: 521–532. , , , .
- 2004. Real-time lineage analysis reveals oriented cell divisions associated with morphogenesis at the shoot apex of Arabidopsis thaliana. Development 131: 4225–4237. , , , .
- 1982. Mitogenic property of the apical ectodermal ridge. Dev Biol 93: 28–35. , .
- 1984. Morphogenesis of cartilaginous long bone rudiments. In: TrelstadRL, editor. The role of extracellular matrix in development. New York: Alan R. Liss. p 305–322. , , .
- 2008. Loss of Fat4 disrupts PCP signaling and oriented cell division and leads to cystic kidney disease. Nat Genet 40: 1010–1015. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2010. Morphogenetic change of the limb bud in the hand plate formation. J Exp Zool B Mol Dev Evol [Epub ahead of print]. , , , , .
- 1997. Role of nonrandomly oriented cell division in shaping and bending of the neural plate. J Comp Neurol 381: 473–488. , , .
- 2000. The SH2 tyrosine phosphatase shp2 is required for mammalian limb development. Nat Genet 24: 420–423. , , , , , , .
- 1991. Cell movements driving neurulation in avian embryos. Development Suppl 2: 157–168. .
- 1971. The initiation of limb bud outgrowth in the embryonic chick. Dev Biol 24: 198–213. , .
- 2010. Sonic hedgehog controls growth of external genitalia by regulating cell cycle kinetics. Nat Commun 1: 1–9. , , , .
- 2005. Conserved patterns of cell movements during vertebrate gastrulation. Curr Biol 15: R213–R228. .
- 1997. Retinoic acid changes the proximodistal developmental competence and affinity of distal cells in the developing chick limb bud. Dev Biol 188: 224–234. , , , .
- 2003. Wnt-5a inhibits the canonical Wnt pathway by promoting GSK-3-independent beta-catenin degradation. J Cell Biol 162: 899–908. , , , , , .
- 1977. Mesenchymal cell polarity and morphogenesis of chick cartilage. Dev Biol 59: 153–163. .
- 1997. Cell fate in the chick limb bud and relationship to gene expression. Development 124: 1909–1918. , , , , , .
- 2011. Disruption of PCP signaling causes limb morphogenesis and skeletal defects and may underlie Robinow syndrome and brachydactyly type B. Hum Mol Genet 20: 271–285. , , , , .
- 1990. Mesodermal cell migration during Xenopus gastrulation. Dev Biol 142: 155–168. .
- 2009. Cell adhesion in amphibian gastrulation. Int Rev Cell Mol Biol 278: 215–275. .
- 1992. Motile behavior and protrusive activity of migratory mesoderm cells from the Xenopus gastrula. Dev Biol 150: 335–351. , .
- 1992. Cell interaction and its role in mesoderm cell migration during Xenopus gastrulation. Dev Dyn 195: 290–302. , , , .
- 1981. Cellular basis of skeletal growth during development. Br Med Bull 37: 215–219. .
- 1982. Cartilage morphogenesis in the limb. In: AbercrombieM, BellairsR, CurtisASG, DunnG, editors. Cell behaviour: a tribute to Michael Abercrombie. New York: Cambridge University. .
- 2010. Oriented cell motility and division underlie early limb bud morphogenesis. Development 137: 2551–2558. , , , , , .
- 1999. A Wnt5a pathway underlies outgrowth of multiple structures in the vertebrate embryo. Development 126: 1211–1223. , , , .
- 2007. Live imaging and genetic analysis of mouse notochord formation reveals regional morphogenetic mechanisms. Dev Cell 13: 884–896. , , , , .
- 1995. Misexpression of Hoxa-13 induces cartilage homeotic transformation and changes cell adhesiveness in chick limb buds. Genes Dev 9: 2509–2522. , , , , , , .
- 2010. Frizzled 1 and frizzled 2 genes function in palate, ventricular septum and neural tube closure: general implications for tissue fusion processes. Development 137: 3707–3717. , , , , , .
- 2006. Mesodermal cell displacements during avian gastrulation are due to both individual cell-autonomous and convective tissue movements. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 103: 19806–19811. , , , , .