Special Issue Research Article
The chicken polydactyly (Po) locus causes allelic imbalance and ectopic expression of Shh during limb development
Article first published online: 4 APR 2011
Copyright © 2011 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Special Issue: Special Issue on Limb Development
Volume 240, Issue 5, pages 1163–1172, May 2011
How to Cite
Dunn, I. C., Paton, I. R., Clelland, A. K., Sebastian, S., Johnson, E. J., McTeir, L., Windsor, D., Sherman, A., Sang, H., Burt, D. W., Tickle, C. and Davey, M. G. (2011), The chicken polydactyly (Po) locus causes allelic imbalance and ectopic expression of Shh during limb development. Dev. Dyn., 240: 1163–1172. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.22623
- Issue published online: 20 APR 2011
- Article first published online: 4 APR 2011
- Manuscript Accepted: 19 FEB 2011
- Biotechnology and Biological Sciences Research Council
- 2004. Dynamic changes in the response of cells to positive hedgehog signaling during mouse limb patterning. Cell 118: 505–516. , .
- 2009. Chromosomal dynamics at the Shh locus: limb bud-specific differential regulation of competence and active transcription. Dev Cell 16: 47–57. , , , , , .
- 2006. Skeletal analysis and characterisation of gene expression related to pattern formation in developing limbs of the Japanese Silkie fowl. Poult Sci 43: 126–134. , , , , .
- 2002. Unusual pattern of Sonic hedgehog expression in the polydactylous mouse mutant Hemimelic extra-toes. Int J Dev Biol 46: 969–974. , , .
- 2009 Aberrant FGF signaling, independent of ectopic hedgehog signaling, initiates preaxial polydactyly in Dorking chickens. Dev Biol 334: 133–141 , .
- 2010. Shh pathway activation is present and required within the vertebrate limb bud apical ectodermal ridge for normal autopod patterning. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 107: 5489–5494. , , , .
- 1996. Cyclopia and defective axial patterning in mice lacking Sonic hedgehog gene function. Nature 383: 407–413. , , , , , , .
- 2004. Aspects of SHH signaling in chick limb development. 8th International Conference on Limb Development and Regeneration. Dundee, UK. 15–18 July 2004. , , , .
- 1996. Roles for FGF8 in the induction, initiation, and maintenance of chick limb development. Cell 84: 127–136. , , , .
- 2007. Analysis of talpid3 and wild-type chicken embryos reveals roles for Hedgehog signalling in development of the limb bud vasculature. Dev Biol 301: 155–165 , , , , .
- 2010. Genomic regions associated with dermal hyperpigmentation, polydactyly and other morphological traits in the Silkie chicken. J Hered 101: 339–350. , , .
- 2001. Hyperpigmentation in the Silkie fowl correlates with abnormal migration of fate-restricted melanoblasts and loss of environmental barrier molecules. Dev Dyn 220: 212–225. , , , .
- 2007. Two novel point mutations in the long-range SHH enhancer in three families with triphalangeal thumb and preaxial polydactyly. Am J Med Genet A 43: 27–32 , , , , , .
- 1951. A series of normal stages in the development of the chick embryo. Dev Dyn 195: 231–272. , .
- 2003. Sonic hedgehog: restricted expression and limb dysmorphologies. J Anat 202: 13–20. , , .
- 2006. Single nucleotide polymorphisms in the chicken Lmbr1 gene are associated with chicken polydactyly. Gene 374: 10–18. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Single nucleotide polymorphisms in chicken lmbr1 gene were associated with chicken growth and carcass traits. Sci China C Life Sci 50: 62–69. , , , , , , , .
- 1991. Expression of the homeobox Hox-4 genes and the specification of position in chick wing development. Nature 350: 585–589. , , , , .
- 2002 Disruption of a long-range cis-acting regulator for Shh causes preaxial polydactyly. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 99: 7548–7553. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. A long-range Shh enhancer regulates expression in the developing limb and fin and is associated with preaxial polydactyly. Hum Mol Genet 12: 1725–1735. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Point mutations in a distant sonic hedgehog cis-regulator generate a variable regulatory output responsible for preaxial polydactyly. Hum Mol Genet 17: 978–985. , , , .
- 2001. Cholesterol modification of sonic hedgehog is required for long-range signaling activity and effective modulation of signaling by Ptc1. Cell 105: 599–612. , , , , , , .
- 2006 Cholesterol modification restricts the spread of Shh gradient in the limb bud. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 103: 6548–6553. , , , .
- 2004. Isolation of the chicken Lmbr1 coding sequence and characterization of its role during chick limb development. Dev Dyn 229: 520–528. , .
- 2005. Single base pair change in the long-range Sonic hedgehog limb-specific enhancer is a genetic basis for preaxial polydactyly. Dev Dyn 232: 345–348. , .
- 1996a. Sonic hedgehog differentially regulates expression of GLI and GLI3 during limb development. Dev Biol 180: 273–283. , , , .
- 1996b. Conservation in hedgehog signaling: induction of a chicken patched homolog by Sonic hedgehog in the developing limb. Development 122: 1225–1233. , , , , .
- 2007. A series of ENU-induced single-base substitutions in a long-range cis-element altering Sonic hedgehog expression in the developing mouse limb bud. Genomics 89: 207–224. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Localised axial progenitor cell populations in the avian tail bud are not committed to a posterior Hox identity. Development 135: 2289–2299. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. The BMP antagonist Gremlin regulates outgrowth, chondrogenesis and programmed cell death in the developing limb. Development 126: 5515–5522. , , , , , .
- 1996. In situ Hybridisation analysis of chick embryos in whole mount and tissue sections. Methods Cell Biol 51: 219–235. , , .
- 1994. A positive feedback loop coordinates growth and patterning in the vertebrate limb. Nature 371: 609–612. , , , .
- 2008. Canine polydactyl mutations with heterogeneous origin in the conserved intronic sequence of LMBR1. Genetics 179: 2163–2172. , , , , .
- 1993. Sonic hedgehog mediates the polarizing activity of the ZPA. Cell 75: 1401–1416. , , , .
- 2003. The chick oligozeugodactyly (ozd) mutant lacks sonic hedgehog function in the limb. Development 130: 527–537. , , , , , , , ,
- 2000. Autoregulation of Shh expression and Shh induction of cell death suggest a mechanism for modulating polarising activity during chick limb development. Development 127: 4811–4823. , .
- 2003. Fgf signaling controls the number of phalanges and tip formation in developing digits. Curr Biol 13: 1830–1836. , .
- 1968. Ectodermal–mesenchymal interactions in the origin of limb symmetry. In: FleischmeyerR, BillinghamRE, editors. Epithelial–mesenchymal interactions. Baltimore: Williams & Wilkins. p 78–97. , .
- 1996. The Staden sequence analysis package. Mol Biotechnol 5: 233–241. .
- 2000. Distribution of polarizing activity and potential for limb formation in mouse and chick embryos and possible relationships to polydactyly. Development 127: 4011–4021. , , , , , .
- 2003. Patterning systems: from one end of the limb to the other. Dev Cell 4: 449–458. .
- 2009. Growing models of vertebrate limb development. Development 136: 179–190. , .
- 2008. Integration of growth and specification in chick wing digit-patterning. Nature 452: 882–886. , , , .
- 2007. A single C to T transition in intron 5 of LMBR1 gene is associated with triphalangeal thumb-polysyndactyly syndrome in a Chinese family. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 355: 312–317. , , , , , , , .
- 1944. Inheritance of polydactylism in the fowl. Genetics 29: 217–231. .
- 1997. Relationship between dose, distance and time in Sonic Hedgehog-mediated regulation of anteroposterior polarity in the chick limb. Development 124: 4393–4404. , , , , , , , , , , Tickle C.
- 2008. Uncoupling Sonic hedgehog control of pattern and expansion of the developing limb bud. Dev Cell 14:624–632. , , , , , .