Special Issue Patterns & Phenotypes
Pleiotropic patterning response to activation of Shh signaling in the limb apical ectodermal ridge
Version of Record online: 4 APR 2011
Copyright © 2011 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Special Issue: Special Issue on Limb Development
Volume 240, Issue 5, pages 1289–1302, May 2011
How to Cite
Wang, C.-K. L., Tsugane, M. H., Scranton, V., Kosher, R. A., Pierro, L. J., Upholt, W. B. and Dealy, C. N. (2011), Pleiotropic patterning response to activation of Shh signaling in the limb apical ectodermal ridge. Dev. Dyn., 240: 1289–1302. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.22628
- Issue online: 20 APR 2011
- Version of Record online: 4 APR 2011
- Manuscript Accepted: 5 MAR 2011
- NIH/NICHD. Grant Number: PO1-HD022610
- 2003. Ectodermal Wnt3/beta-catenin signaling is required for the establishment and maintenance of the apical ectodermal ridge. Genes Dev 17: 394–409. , , , , , , .
- 2008. How do we get a perfect complement of digits? Curr Opin Genet Dev 18: 374–380. , .
- 2005. Shh signaling in limb bud ectoderm: potential role in teratogen-induced postaxial ectrodactyly. Dev Dyn 233: 313–325. , , , , .
- 2009. Vertebrate limb development: moving from classical morphogen gradients to an integrated 4-dimensional patterning system. Cold Spring Harb Perspect Biol 1: a001339. , .
- 2002. Unusual pattern of Sonic hedgehog expression in the polydactylous mouse mutant Hemimelic extra-toes. Int J Dev Biol 46: 969–974. , , .
- 2010. Shh pathway activation is present and required within the vertebrate limb bud apical ectodermal ridge for normal autopod patterning. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 107: 5489–5494. , , , .
- 2010. Inactivation of Patched1 in the mouse limb has novel inhibitory effects on the chondrogenic program. J Biol Chem 285: 27967–27981. , , , , , .
- 1998. The XtJ allele generates a Gli3 fusion transcript. Mamm Genome 9: 676–678. , , .
- 2009. Patched 1 is a crucial determinant of asymmetry and digit number in the vertebrate limb. Development 136: 3515–3524. , , , , , .
- 2010. The molecular regulation of vertebrate limb patterning. Curr Top Dev Biol 90: 319–341. , , .
- 2009. Tulp3 is a critical repressor of mouse hedgehog signaling. Dev Dyn 238: 1140–1149. , , .
- 1995. Polydactylous limbs in Strong's Luxoid mice result from ectopic polarizing activity. Development 121: 1971–1978. , , , .
- 2004. Direct interaction with Hoxd proteins reverses Gli3-repressor function to promote digit formation downstream of Shh. Development 131: 2339–2347. , , , , , .
- 1996. Cyclopia and defective axial patterning in mice lacking Sonic hedgehog gene function. Nature 383: 407–413. , , , , , , .
- 2001. Manifestation of the limb prepattern: limb development in the absence of sonic hedgehog function. Dev Biol 236: 421–435. , , , , , , .
- 2001. Reciprocal mouse and human limb phenotypes caused by gain- and loss-of-function mutations affecting Lmbr1. Genetics 159: 715–726. , , , , , , .
- 1991. Altered expression of the chicken homeobox-containing genes GHox-7 and GHox-8 in the limb buds of limbless mutant chick embryos. Development 113: 1487–1493. , , , , .
- 1992. Role of the chicken homeobox-containing genes GHox-4.6 and GHox-8 in the specification of positional identities during the development of normal and polydactylous chick limb buds. Development 115: 629–637. , , .
- 1997. Novel regulatory interactions revealed by studies of murine limb pattern in Wnt-7a and En-1 mutants. Development 124: 5021–5032. , , .
- 1993. Wnt-5a and Wnt-7a are expressed in the developing chick limb bud in a manner suggesting roles in pattern formation along the proximodistal and dorsoventral axes. Mech Dev 43: 175–186. , , , , .
- 2008. The incomplete inactivation of Fgf8 in the limb ectoderm affects the morphogenesis of the anterior autopod through BMP-mediated cell death. Dev Dyn 237: 649–658. , , , .
- 2009. Building limb morphology through integration of signalling modules. Curr Opin Genet Dev 19: 497–503. , .
- 1993. Sonic hedgehog, a member of a family of putative signaling molecules, is implicated in the regulation of CNS polarity. Cell 75: 1417–1430. , , , , , , .
- 2001. Rab23 is an essential negative regulator of the mouse Sonic hedgehog signalling pathway. Nature 412: 194–198. , , .
- 2008. Ventral specification and perturbed boundary formation in the mouse midbrain in the absence of Hedgehog signaling. Dev Dyn 237: 1359–1372. , , , .
- 2007. Conditional alleles of Msx1 and Msx2. Genesis 45: 477–481. , , , .
- 2009. A reevaluation of X-irradiation-induced phocomelia and proximodistal limb patterning. Nature 460: 400–404. , , , .
- 1996. Conservation of the hedgehog/patched signaling pathway from flies to mice: induction of a mouse patched gene by Hedgehog. Genes Dev 10: 301–312. , , , , .
- 1997. Altered neural cell fates and medulloblastoma in mouse patched mutants. Science 277: 1109–1113. , , , .
- 2004. Evidence for an expansion-based temporal Shh gradient in specifying vertebrate digit identities. Cell 118: 517–528. , , , , , .
- 2009. A SHH-independent regulation of Gli3 is a significant determinant of anteroposterior patterning of the limb bud. Dev Biol 328: 506–516. , , .
- 2003. Sonic hedgehog: restricted expression and limb dysmorphologies. J Anat 202: 13–20. , , .
- 1993. A mouse model of greig cephalopolysyndactyly syndrome: the extra-toesJ mutation contains an intragenic deletion of the Gli3 gene. Nat Genet 3: 241–246. , .
- 2001. Acheiropodia is caused by a genomic deletion in C7orf2, the human orthologue of the Lmbr1 gene. Am J Hum Genet 68: 38–45. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1992. Expression of Hox-4 genes in the chick wing links pattern formation to the epithelial-mesenchymal interactions that mediate growth. EMBO J 11: 1451–1457. , , , .
- 2000. Neuronal specification in the spinal cord: inductive signals and transcriptional codes. Nat Rev Genet 1: 20–29. .
- 2000. Two lineage boundaries coordinate vertebrate apical ectodermal ridge formation. Genes Dev 14: 1377–1389. , , , , , .
- 2001. Some distal limb structures develop in mice lacking Sonic hedgehog signaling. Mech Dev 100: 45–58. , , .
- 2010. Twist1 activity thresholds define multiple functions in limb development. Dev Biol 347: 133–146. , , , , , , .
- 2007. Gli2 and Gli3 play distinct roles in the dorsoventral patterning of the mouse hindbrain. Dev Biol 302: 345–355. , , , .
- 2000. Fgf8 signalling from the AER is essential for normal limb development. Nat Genet 26: 460–463. , , .
- 2002. Shh and Gli3 are dispensable for limb skeleton formation but regulate digit number and identity. Nature 418: 979–983. , , , , .
- 1994. Regulation of the Msx2 homeobox gene during mouse embryogenesis: a transgene with 439 bp of 5′ flanking sequence is expressed exclusively in the apical ectodermal ridge of the developing limb. Mech Dev 48: 187–197. , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Expression of Cre Recombinase in the developing mouse limb bud driven by a Prxl enhancer. Genesis 33: 77–80. , , , , , .
- 1995. Limb-patterning activity and restricted posterior localization of the amino-terminal product of Sonic hedgehog cleavage. Curr Biol 5: 791–796. , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Isolation of the chicken Lmbr1 coding sequence and characterization of its role during chick limb development. Dev Dyn 229: 520–528. , .
- 1992. Expression patterns of the homeobox gene, Hox-8, in the mouse embryo suggest a role in specifying tooth initiation and shape. Development 115: 403–420. , , .
- 2008. Genetic evidence that FGFs have an instructive role in limb proximal-distal patterning. Nature 453: 401–405. , , .
- 1995. A duplicated zone of polarizing activity in polydactylous mouse mutants. Genes Dev 9: 1645–1653. , , , , .
- 1980. Differential staining of cartilage and bone in whole mouse fetuses by alcian blue and alizarin red S. Teratology 22: 299–301. .
- 1999. Mouse patched1 controls body size determination and limb patterning. Development 126: 4431–4440. , , , .
- 2010. Activated Kras alters epidermal homeostasis of mouse skin, resulting in redundant skin and defective hair cycling. J Invest Dermatol 131: 311–319. , , .
- 1986. The thalidomide syndrome: risks of exposure and spectrum of malformations. Clin Perinatol 13: 555–573. .
- 1992. Fgf-4 expression during gastrulation, myogenesis, limb and tooth development in the mouse. Development 114: 755–768. , .
- 1994. A positive feedback loop coordinates growth and patterning in the vertebrate limb. Nature 371: 609–612. , , , .
- 2009. Tubby-like protein 3 (TULP3) regulates patterning in the mouse embryo through inhibition of Hedgehog signaling. Hum Mol Genet 18: 1740–1754. , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Basal cell carcinomas in mice overexpressing sonic hedgehog. Science 276: 817–821. , , , , , .
- 2004. gamma-secretase functions through Notch signaling to maintain skin appendages but is not required for their patterning or initial morphogenesis. Dev Cell 7: 731–743. , , , , , , .
- 2005. Notch1 and 2 cooperate in limb ectoderm to receive an early Jagged2 signal regulating interdigital apoptosis. Dev Biol 286: 472–482. , , , .
- 1998. The classical mouse mutant postaxial hemimelia results from a mutation in the Wnt 7a gene. Dev Biol 202: 228–234. , , , .
- 2009. Mouse hitchhiker mutants have spina bifida, dorso-ventral patterning defects and polydactyly: identification of Tulp3 as a novel negative regulator of the Sonic hedgehog pathway. Hum Mol Genet 18: 1719–1739. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Dorsal-ventral patterning of the spinal cord requires Gli3 transcriptional repressor activity. Genes Dev 16: 2865–2878. , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Mutations in mouse Aristaless-like4 cause Strong's luxoid polydactyly. Development 125: 2711–2721. , , , , , , .
- 1993. Sonic hedgehog mediates the polarizing activity of the ZPA. Cell 75: 1401–1416. , , , .
- 1995. Induction of the LIM homeobox gene Lmx1 by WNT7a establishes dorsoventral pattern in the vertebrate limb. Cell 83: 631–640. , , , , , .
- 2003. The chick oligozeugodactyly (ozd) mutant lacks sonic hedgehog function in the limb. Development 130: 527–537. , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Elimination of a long-range cis-regulatory module causes complete loss of limb-specific Shh expression and truncation of the mouse limb. Development 132: 797–803. , , , , .
- 2000. Autoregulation of Shh expression and Shh induction of cell death suggest a mechanism for modulating polarising activity during chick limb development. Development 127: 4811–4823. , .
- 2004. The limb bud Shh-Fgf feedback loop is terminated by expansion of former ZPA cells. Science 305: 396–399. , , , .
- 2007. Extended exposure to Sonic hedgehog is required for patterning the posterior digits of the vertebrate limb. Dev Biol 308: 343–354. , , , .
- 1999. Identification of sonic hedgehog as a candidate gene responsible for the polydactylous mouse mutant Sasquatch. Curr Biol 9: 97–100. , , , , , .
- 2007. Hoxd and Gli3 interactions modulate digit number in the amniote limb. Dev Biol 310: 430–441. , , .
- 1995. Identification of a spatially specific enhancer element in the chicken Msx-2 gene that regulates its expression in the apical ectodermal ridge of the developing limb buds of transgenic mice. Dev Biol 170: 230–242. , , , , , .
- 2000. Conditional inactivation of Fgf4 reveals complexity of signalling during limb bud development. Nat Genet 25: 83–86. , , , , , .
- 2002. Functions of FGF signalling from the apical ectodermal ridge in limb development. Nature 418: 501–508. , , .
- 2002. Progression of vertebrate limb development through SHH-mediated counteraction of GLI3. Science 298: 827–830. , , , , , , .
- 2008. Integration of growth and specification in chick wing digit-patterning. Nature 452: 882–886. , , , .
- 2008. THM1 negatively modulates mouse sonic hedgehog signal transduction and affects retrograde intraflagellar transport in cilia. Nat Genet 40: 403–410. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1995. Dermatoglyphics on volar skin of mice: the normal pattern. Anat Rec 242: 225–232. , .
- 2007. Morphogens and the control of cell proliferation and patterning in the spinal cord. Cell Cycle 6: 2640–2649. , .
- 1999. Sonic hedgehog signaling during digit pattern duplication after application of recombinant protein and expressing cells. Dev Growth Differ 41: 567–574. , , .
- 2004. Function of BMPs in the apical ectoderm of the developing mouse limb. Dev Biol 269: 109–122. , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. A direct requirement for Hedgehog signaling for normal specification of all ventral progenitor domains in the presumptive mammalian spinal cord. Genes Dev 16: 2849–2864. , , , .
- 2009. Growth and patterning in the limb: signaling gradients make the decision. Sci Signal 2: pe3. .
- 1995. Interaction between the signaling molecules WNT7a and SHH during vertebrate limb development: dorsal signals regulate anteroposterior patterning. Cell 80: 939–947. , .
- 1997. Relationship between dose, distance and time in Sonic Hedgehog-mediated regulation of anteroposterior polarity in the chick limb. Development 124: 4393–4404. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2009. FGF-regulated Etv genes are essential for repressing Shh expression in mouse limb buds. Dev Cell 16: 607–613. , , , .
- 2008. Uncoupling Sonic hedgehog control of pattern and expansion of the developing limb bud. Dev Cell 14: 624–632. , , , , , .
- 1999. Signal relay by BMP antagonism controls the SHH/FGF4 feedback loop in vertebrate limb buds. Nature 401: 598–602. , , , .