BMP-induced L-Maf regulates subsequent BMP-independent differentiation of primary lens fibre cells
Article first published online: 14 JUL 2011
Copyright © 2011 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 240, Issue 8, pages 1917–1928, August 2011
How to Cite
Pandit, T., Jidigam, V. K. and Gunhaga, L. (2011), BMP-induced L-Maf regulates subsequent BMP-independent differentiation of primary lens fibre cells. Dev. Dyn., 240: 1917–1928. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.22692
- Issue published online: 14 JUL 2011
- Article first published online: 14 JUL 2011
- Manuscript Accepted: 2 JUN 2011
- Umeå University
- KMA Foundation
- 2006. Identification of intrinsic determinants of midbrain dopamine neurons. Cell 124: 393–405. , , , , , , , .
- 2006. MafB: an activator of the glucagon gene expressed in developing islet alpha- and beta-cells. Diabetes 55: 297–304. , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Pax6 activity in the lens primordium is required for lens formation and for correct placement of a single retina in the eye. Genes Dev 14: 2701–2711. , , , .
- 1981. Translational regulation of delta-crystallin synthesis during lens development in the chicken embryo. Dev Biol 84: 96–101. , .
- 2004. Contributions by members of the TGFbeta superfamily to lens development. Int J Dev Biol 48: 845–856. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Bone morphogenetic protein signaling and the initiation of lens fibre cell differentiation. Development 129: 3795–3802. , , .
- 2004. Segregation of lens and olfactory precursors from a common territory: cell sorting and reciprocity of Dlx5 and Pax6 expression. Dev Biol 271: 403–414. , , , .
- 1983. The pattern of expression of chick delta-crystallin genes in lens differentiation and in trans-differentiating cultured tissues. EMBO J 2: 333–338. , , , , .
- 2002. Analysis of spatial and temporal gene expression patterns in blastula and gastrula stage chick embryos. Dev Biol 245: 187–199. , , , .
- 2004. Control of roof plate formation by Lmx1a in the developing spinal cord. Development 131: 2693–2705. , .
- 1985. Mapping of the early neural primordium in quail-chick chimeras. I. Developmental relationships between placodes, facial ectoderm, and prosencephalon. Dev Biol 110: 422–439. , .
- 2007. Sox2 and Pou2f1 interact to control lens and olfactory placode development. Dev Biol 303: 784–799. , , .
- 1997. Overlapping expression domains of bone morphogenetic protein family members potentially account for limited tissue defects in BMP7 deficient embryos. Dev Dyn 208: 349–362. , .
- 2005. pitx3 defines an equivalence domain for lens and anterior pituitary placode. Development 132: 1579–1590. , , , , , , .
- 2002. Bmp signaling is required for development of primary lens fibre cells. Development 129: 3727–3737. , , , .
- 2002. Endogenous patterns of BMP signaling during early chick development. Dev Biol 244: 44–65. , , , .
- 1994. Bone morphogenetic proteins and a signalling pathway that controls patterning in the developing chick limb. Development 120: 209–218. , , , .
- 2009. Gdf6a is required for the initiation of dorsal-ventral retinal patterning and lens development. Dev Biol 333: 37–47. , , , , .
- 1998. BMP4 is essential for lens induction in the mouse embryo. Genes Dev 12: 3764–3775. , .
- 1951. Series of embryonic chicken growth. J Morphol 88: 49–92. , .
- 2010. c-Maf activates the promoter and enhancer of the IL-21 gene, and TGF-beta inhibits c-Maf-induced IL-21 production in CD4+ T cells. J Leukoc Biol 87: 703–712. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1996. The proto-oncogene c-maf is responsible for tissue-specific expression of interleukin-4. Cell 85: 973–983. , , , .
- 2001. Pax6 and SOX2 form a co-DNA-binding partner complex that regulates initiation of lens development. Genes Dev 15: 1272–1286. , , , , .
- 2002. MafA is a glucose-regulated and pancreatic beta-cell-specific transcriptional activator for the insulin gene. J Biol Chem 277: 49903–49910. , , , , , .
- 1994. Maf nuclear oncoprotein recognizes sequences related to an AP-1 site and forms heterodimers with both Fos and Jun. Mol Cell Biol 14: 700–712. , , .
- 1999. Regulation of lens fibre cell differentiation by transcription factor c-Maf. J Biol Chem 274: 19254–19260. , , , , , , , .
- 1994. A conserved region adjacent to the basic domain is required for recognition of an extended DNA binding site by Maf/Nrl family proteins. Oncogene 9: 3149–3158. , .
- 1993. Neural induction by the secreted polypeptide noggin. Science 262: 713–718. , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Growth factor regulation of lens development. Dev Biol 280: 1–14. , .
- 1999. Conserved and distinct roles of kreisler in regulation of the paralogous Hoxa3 and Hoxb3 genes. Development 126: 759–769. , , , , , , .
- 2002. Distinct roles of SOX2, Pax6 and Maf transcription factors in the regulation of lens-specific delta1-crystallin enhancer. Genes Cells 7: 791–805. , , , , .
- 2006. A switch from MafB to MafA expression accompanies differentiation to pancreatic beta-cells. Dev Biol 293: 526–539. , , , , , , .
- 1998. Induction of lens differentiation by activation of a bZIP transcription factor, L-Maf. Science 280: 115–118. , .
- 2002. Identification of beta-cell-specific insulin gene transcription factor RIPE3b1 as mammalian MafA. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 99: 6737–6742. , , , .
- 1995. The development of crustacean limbs and the evolution of arthropods. Science 270: 1363–1366. , , , .
- 2009. Wnt-regulated temporal control of BMP exposure directs the choice between neural plate border and epidermal fate. Development 136: 73–83. , , .
- 1998. A role for SOX1 in neural determination. Development 125: 1967–1978. , , , .
- 2009. The type I BMP receptors, Bmpr1a and Acvr1, activate multiple signaling pathways to regulate lens formation. Dev Biol 335: 305–316. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. L-Maf, a downstream target of Pax6, is essential for chick lens development. Mech Dev 116: 61–73. , , .
- 2004a. The involvement of neural retina pax6 in lens fibre differentiation. Dev Neurosci 26: 318–327. , .
- 2004b. Lens differentiation and crystallin regulation: a chick model. Int J Dev Biol 48: 805–817. , .
- 2007. L-Maf regulates p27kip1 expression during chick lens fibre differentiation. Differentiation 75: 737–744. , , , , .
- 1991. The L5 epitope: an early marker for neural induction in the chick embryo and its involvement in inductive interactions. Development 112: 959–970. , , , , .
- 2006. An essential role for FGF receptor signaling in lens development. Semin Cell Dev Biol 17: 726–740. .
- 2003. Cooperative action between L-Maf and Sox2 on delta-crystallin gene expression during chick lens development. Mech Dev 120: 455–465. , , , .
- 1976. Quantitation of delta-crystallin messenger RNA during lens induction in chick embryos. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 73: 2808–2812. , .
- 2007. Time of exposure to BMP signals plays a key role in the specification of the olfactory and lens placodes ex vivo. Dev Cell 13: 141–149. , , .
- 1998. Chordin regulates primitive streak development and the stability of induced neural cells, but is not sufficient for neural induction in the chick embryo. Development 125: 507–519. , , , , , .
- 2009. Neither MafA/L-Maf nor MafB is essential for lens development in mice. Genes Cells 14: 941–947. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. BMP signaling patterns the dorsal and intermediate neural tube via regulation of homeobox and helix-loop-helix transcription factors. Development 129: 2459–2472. , , .
- 2009. Suppression of MafA mRNA with siRNA prevents adipose cell differentiation in 3T3-L1 cells. Int J Mol Med 23: 725–732. , , , , , , .
- 1999. BMP7 acts in murine lens placode development. Dev Biol 207: 176–188. , , , , , .
- 1993. Detection of messenger RNA by in situ hybridization to tissue sections and whole mounts. Methods Enzymol 225: 361–373. , .
- 2009. c-Maf regulates IL-10 expression during Th17 polarization. J Immunol 182: 6226–6236. , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Characterization of the chicken L-Maf, MafB and c-Maf in crystallin gene regulation and lens differentiation. Genes Cells 7: 693–706. , .