Cell–cell adhesion defects in Mrj mutant trophoblast cells are associated with failure to pattern the chorion during early placental development
Version of Record online: 3 OCT 2011
Copyright © 2011 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Volume 240, Issue 11, pages 2505–2519, November 2011
How to Cite
Watson, E. D., Hughes, M., Simmons, D. G., Natale, D. R.C., Sutherland, A. E. and Cross, J. C. (2011), Cell–cell adhesion defects in Mrj mutant trophoblast cells are associated with failure to pattern the chorion during early placental development. Dev. Dyn., 240: 2505–2519. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.22755
- Issue online: 19 OCT 2011
- Version of Record online: 3 OCT 2011
- Manuscript Accepted: 7 SEP 2011
- Canadian Institutes of Health Research. Grant Number: 200709MOP-177927
- 2005. Generation of a conditionally null allele of the laminin alpha1 gene. Genesis 43: 59–70. , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Anomalous apical plasma membrane phenotype in CK8-deficient mice indicates a novel role for intermediate filaments in the polarization of simple epithelia. J Cell Sci 114: 563–575. , , .
- 2000. The glial cells missing-1 protein is essential for branching morphogenesis in the chorioallantoic placenta. Nat Genet 25: 311–314. , , , , , .
- 2005. A simplified laminin nomenclature. Matrix Biol 24: 326–332. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Murine Gcm1 gene is expressed in a subset of placental trophoblast cells. Dev Dyn 214: 303–311. , , , , , , .
- 1995. Expression of Cdx-2 in the mouse embryo and placenta: possible role in patterning of the extra-embryonic membranes. Dev Dyn 204: 219–227. , , , .
- 2009. Photoreceptor IFT complexes containing chaperones, guanylyl cyclase 1 and rhodopsin. Traffic 10: 648–663. , , , , , .
- 2005. E-cadherin in the assessment of aberrant placental cytotrophoblast turnover in pregnancies complicated by pre-eclampsia. Histochem Cell Biol 124: 499–506. , , , .
- 2008. Hsp40 facilitates nuclear import of the human immunodeficiency virus type 2 Vpx-mediated preintegration complex. J Virol 82: 1229–1237. , , .
- 2002. Characterization of a brain-enriched chaperone, MRJ, that inhibits Huntingtin aggregation and toxicity independently. J Biol Chem 277: 19831–19838. , , , , , .
- 1984. Genomic sequencing. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 81: 1991–1995. , .
- 2002. Disruption of DAG1 in differentiated skeletal muscle reveals a role for dystroglycan in muscle regeneration. Cell 110: 639–648. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1987. Molecular cloning and expression of mouse placental lactogen I complementary deoxyribonucleic acid. Mol Endocrinol 1: 767–776. , , .
- 1995. The small GTP-binding proteins Rac1 and Cdc42 regulate the activity of the JNK/SAPK signaling pathway. Cell 81: 1137–1146. , , , , , , , .
- 1995. Hxt encodes a basic helix-loop-helix transcription factor that regulates trophoblast cell development. Development 121: 2513–2523. , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Branching morphogenesis during development of placental villi. Differentiation 74: 393–401. , , , , .
- 2005. The DnaJ-related factor Mrj interacts with nuclear factor of activated T cells c3 and mediates transcriptional repression through class II histone deacetylase recruitment. Mol Cell Biol 25: 9936–9948. , , .
- 2009. Cell cycle specific expression and nucleolar localization of human J-domain containing co-chaperone Mrj. Mol Cell Biochem 322: 137–142. , , .
- 2002. Early placental ontogeny in the mouse. Placenta 23: 116–131. .
- 2009. Syncytin-A knockout mice demonstrate the critical role in placentation of a fusogenic, endogenous retrovirus-derived, envelope gene. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 106: 12127–12132. , , , , , , .
- 2009. DnaJB6 is present in the core of Lewy bodies and is highly up-regulated in parkinsonian astrocytes. J Neurosci Res 87: 238–245. , , , , , , , , .
- 2010. Interaction between urokinase receptor and heat shock protein MRJ enhances cell adhesion. Int J Oncol 36: 1155–1163. , , , , .
- 2003. The lipid phosphatase LPP3 regulates extra-embryonic vasculogenesis and axis patterning. Development 130: 4623–4637. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Mechanisms for regulation of Hsp70 function by Hsp40. Cell Stress Chaperones 8: 309–316. , , .
- 1999. Wnt3a−/−-like phenotype and limb deficiency in Lef1(−/−)Tcf1(−/−) mice. Genes Dev 13: 709–717. , , , , .
- 2007. Keratin inclusions alter cytosolic protein localization in hepatocytes. Hepatol Res 37: 828–835. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Mapping and expression analysis of the mouse ortholog of Xenopus Eomesodermin. Mech Dev 81: 205–208. , , , .
- 2002. Overlapping and unique roles for C-terminal binding protein 1 (CtBP1) and CtBP2 during mouse development. Mol Cell Biol 22: 5296–5307. , .
- 1995. The Rho family GTPases RhoA, Rac1, and CDC42Hs regulate transcriptional activation by SRF. Cell 81: 1159–1170. , , .
- 1999. Mrj encodes a DnaJ-related co-chaperone that is essential for murine placental development. Development 126: 1247–1258. , , , , .
- 2006. Breast cancer metastasis suppressor 1 (BRMS1) is stabilized by the Hsp90 chaperone. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 348: 1429–1435. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Identification of Mrj, a DnaJ/Hsp40 family protein, as a keratin 8/18 filament regulatory protein. J Biol Chem 275: 34521–34527. , , , , , .
- 2003. Expression of a novel homeobox gene Ehox in trophoblast stem cells and pharyngeal pouch endoderm. Dev Dyn 228: 740–744. , , , , , , .
- 2005. Cytotrophoblast differentiation in the first trimester of pregnancy: evidence for separate progenitors of extravillous trophoblasts and syncytiotrophoblast. Reproduction 130: 95–103. , , .
- 2007. Intermediate filament scaffolds fulfill mechanical, organizational, and signaling functions in the cytoplasm. Genes Dev 21: 1581–1597. , .
- 2001. Trophoblast-specific expression and function of the integrin alpha 7 subunit in the peri-implantation mouse embryo. Dev Biol 239: 161–175. , , , , , .
- 2006. Trophoblast cells exhibit differential responses to laminin isoforms. Dev Biol 292: 277–289. , , .
- 2007. Influences of extracellular matrix and of conditioned media on differentiation and invasiveness of trophoblast stem cells. Placenta 28: 14–21. , , , .
- 1988. Isolation and characterization of a novel trophoblast-specific cDNA in the mouse. Genes Dev 2: 1639–1646. , , .
- 2008. Non-pathogenic protein aggregates in skeletal muscle in MLF1 transgenic mice. J Neurol Sci 264: 77–86. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Placental abnormalities in mouse embryos lacking the orphan nuclear receptor ERR-beta. Nature 388: 778–782. , , , , , .
- 2009. Origin and function of fluctuations in cell behaviour and the emergence of patterns. Semin Cell Dev Biol 20: 877–884. , , .
- 2009. Wnt to build a tube: contributions of Wnt signaling to epithelial tubulogenesis. Dev Dyn 239: 77–93. , .
- 1995. Selective activation of the JNK signaling cascade and c-Jun transcriptional activity by the small GTPases Rac and Cdc42Hs. Cell 81: 1147–1157. , , , , .
- 1998. Roles for laminin in embryogenesis: exencephaly, syndactyly, and placentopathy in mice lacking the laminin alpha5 chain. J Cell Biol 143: 1713–1723. , , .
- 2008. Large isoform of MRJ (DNAJB6) reduces malignant activity of breast cancer. Breast Cancer Res 10: R22. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2010. DNAJB6 induces degradation of beta-catenin and causes partial reversal of mesenchymal phenotype. J Biol Chem 285: 24686–24694. , , , .
- 2006. Asymmetric and symmetric stem-cell divisions in development and cancer. Nature 441: 1068–1074. , .
- 2005. Dynamic regulation of integrin activation by intracellular and extracellular signals controls oligodendrocyte morphology. BMC Biol 3: 25. , .
- 2007. GCP6 binds to intermediate filaments: a novel function of keratins in the organization of microtubules in epithelial cells. Mol Biol Cell 18: 781–794. , , , .
- 2008. Impaired placental trophoblast lineage differentiation in Alkbh1(−/−) mice. Dev Dyn 237: 316–327. , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Trophoblast giant-cell differentiation involves changes in cytoskeleton and cell motility. Dev Biol 230: 43–60. , , .
- 2001. Wnt7b regulates placental development in mice. Dev Biol 237: 324–332. , , , .
- 1999. Pituitary tumor-transforming gene protein associates with ribosomal protein S10 and a novel human homologue of DnaJ in testicular cells. J Biol Chem 274: 3151–3158. .
- 1993. The product of the Drosophila segment polarity gene armadillo is part of a multi-protein complex resembling the vertebrate adherens junction. J Cell Sci 105( pt 4): 993–1000. .
- 1997. Activation of the nuclear factor-kappaB by Rho, CDC42, and Rac-1 proteins. Genes Dev 11: 463–475. , , , , , .
- 1996. Expression of a novel member of estrogen response element-binding nuclear receptors is restricted to the early stages of chorion formation during mouse embryogenesis. Mech Dev 54: 211–223. , , , , , .
- 2002. Relative expression software tool (REST) for group-wise comparison and statistical analysis of relative expression results in real-time PCR. Nucleic Acids Res 30: e36. , , .
- 2002. The cytoplasmic face of cell contact sites. Curr Opin Struct Biol 12: 255–262. , .
- 1999. Establishment of the circumferential actin filament network is a prerequisite for localization of the cadherin-catenin complex in epithelial cells. Cell Growth Differ 10: 839–854. , .
- 1997. The apical submembrane cytoskeleton participates in the organization of the apical pole in epithelial cells. J Cell Biol 137: 359–375. , , , , .
- 2001. Gene dosage-dependent functions for phosphotyrosine-Grb2 signaling during mammalian tissue morphogenesis. Curr Biol 11: 662–670. , , , , , , .
- 1999. Cloning, tissue expression, and chromosomal assignment of human MRJ gene for a member of the DNAJ protein family. J Hum Genet 44: 185–189. , , , , , .
- 2007. Diverse subtypes and developmental origins of trophoblast giant cells in the mouse placenta. Dev Biol 304: 567–578. , , .
- 2008. Early patterning of the chorion leads to the trilaminar trophoblast cell structure in the placental labyrinth. Development 135: 2083–2091. , , , , , .
- 1992. Isolation of Sna, a mouse gene homologous to the Drosophila genes snail and escargot: its expression pattern suggests multiple roles during postimplantation development. Development 116: 1033–1039. , , .
- 1998. Promotion of trophoblast stem cell proliferation by FGF4. Science 282: 2072–2075. , , , , .
- 2004. Cyclin F disruption compromises placental development and affects normal cell cycle execution. Mol Cell Biol 24: 2487–2498. , , , , , , .
- 2007. Role of the ubiquitin proteasome system in Alzheimer's disease. BMC Biochem 8( Suppl 1): S12. , .
- 2002. Inhibition of trophoblast stem cell potential in chorionic ectoderm coincides with occlusion of the ectoplacental cavity in the mouse. Development 129: 3913–3924. , , .
- 2005. Development of structures and transport functions in the mouse placenta. Physiology (Bethesda) 20: 180–193. , .
- 2007. The Mrj co-chaperone mediates keratin turnover and prevents the formation of toxic inclusion bodies in trophoblast cells of the placenta. Development 134: 1809–1817. , , , .
- 2009. Neural stem cell self-renewal requires the Mrj co-chaperone. Dev Dyn 238: 2564–2574. , , , .
- 2009. Tissue architecture and function: dynamic reciprocity via extra- and intra-cellular matrices. Cancer Metastasis Rev 28: 167–176. , , .
- 2008. The Hsp40 family chaperone protein DnaJB6 enhances Schlafen1 nuclear localization which is critical for promotion of cell-cycle arrest in T-cells. Biochem J 413: 239–250. , , , , , , , .