Nicholas S. Kalson and David F. Holmes contributed equally to this work.
Slow stretching that mimics embryonic growth rate stimulates structural and mechanical development of tendon-like tissue in vitro
Article first published online: 19 OCT 2011
Copyright © 2011 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Volume 240, Issue 11, pages 2520–2528, November 2011
How to Cite
Kalson, N. S., Holmes, D. F., Herchenhan, A., Lu, Y., Starborg, T. and Kadler, K. E. (2011), Slow stretching that mimics embryonic growth rate stimulates structural and mechanical development of tendon-like tissue in vitro. Dev. Dyn., 240: 2520–2528. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.22760
- Issue published online: 19 OCT 2011
- Article first published online: 19 OCT 2011
- Manuscript Accepted: 12 SEP 2011
- Wellcome Trust
- 1997. Collagen fibrillogenesis in situ: fibril segments become long fibrils as the developing tendon matures. Dev Dyn 208: 291–298. , , , , .
- 2010. Matrix elasticity, cytoskeletal forces and physics of the nucleus: how deeply do cells ‘feel’ outside and in? J Cell Sci 123: 297–308. , , .
- 2006. Actin filaments are required for fibripositor-mediated collagen fibril alignment in tendon. J Biol Chem 281: 38592–38598. , , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Tensile stimulation of murine stem cell-collagen sponge constructs increases collagen type i gene expression and linear stiffness. Tissue Eng Part A 15:2561–2570. , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Orientation and length of mammalian skeletal myocytes in response to a unidirectional stretch. Cell Tissue Res 302: 243–251. , , , , , .
- 2008. Nuclear shape, mechanics, and mechanotransduction. Circ Res 102: 1307–1318. , , .
- 2004. Serial block-face scanning electron microscopy to reconstruct three-dimensional tissue nanostructure. PLoS Biol 2: e329. , .
- 1998. Effect of precise mechanical loading on fibroblast populated collagen lattices: morphological changes. Cell Motil Cytoskeleton 40: 13–21. , , , .
- 2008. Mechanotransduction from the ECM to the genome: are the pieces now in place? J Cell Biochem 104: 1964–1987. , .
- 2007. Development of self-assembled, tissue-engineered ligament from bone marrow stromal cells. Tissue Eng 13: 703–710. , , , , , , .
- 1992. A series of normal stages in the development of the chick embryo. 1951. Dev Dyn 195: 231–272. , .
- 1979. Axial mass distributions of collagen fibrils grown in vitro: results for the end regions of early fibrils. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 87: 993–999. , .
- 2008. Active negative control of collagen fibrillogenesis in vivo: Intracellular cleavage of the type I procollagen propeptides in tendon fibroblasts without intracellular fibrils. J Biol Chem 283:12129–12135. , , , .
- 2010. An experimental model for studying the biomechanics of embryonic tendon: Evidence that the development of mechanical properties depends on the actinomyosin machinery. Matrix Biol 29: 678–689. , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Tension is required for fibripositor formation. Matrix Biol 27: 371–375. , , , , , , .
- 2010. Synthesis of embryonic tendon-like tissue by human marrow stromal/mesenchymal stem cells requires a three-dimensional environment and transforming growth factor beta3. Matrix Biol 29: 668–677. , , , , , .
- 1996. Computer visualization of three-dimensional image data using IMOD. J Struct Biol 116: 71–76. , , .
- 2004. Lamin A/C deficiency causes defective nuclear mechanics and mechanotransduction. J Clin Invest 113: 370–378. , , , , , , , .
- 2011. EGR1 and EGR2 involvement in vertebrate tendon differentiation. J Biol Chem 286: 5855–5867. , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1985. Morphological characterization of tendon development during chick embryogenesis: measurement of birefrigence retardation. Int J Biol Macromol 168: 167–197. , , .
- 1988. Structural and mechanical assessment of developing chick tendon. Int J Biol Macromol 10: 194–200. , , .
- 2007. Physical plasticity of the nucleus in stem cell differentiation. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 104: 15619–15624. , , , , .
- 2007. Tendon development requires regulation of cell condensation and cell shape via cadherin-11-mediated cell-cell junctions. Mol Cell Biol 27: 6218–6228. , , , , , .
- 2008. Analyzing real-time PCR data by the comparative C(T) method. Nat Protoc 3: 1101–1108. , .
- 2010. Comprehensive analysis of fibroblast growth factor receptor expression patterns during chick forelimb development. Int J Dev Biol 54: 1517–1526. , , , .
- 2002. Engineering gene expression and protein synthesis by modulation of nuclear shape. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 99: 1972–1977. , , , .
- 2006. Connexin 32 and 43 gap junctions differentially modulate tenocyte response to cyclic mechanical load. Eur J Cell Biol 85: 1145–1154. , , .
- 2008. Mechanobiology of adult and stem cells. Int Rev Cell Mol Biol 271: 301–346. , .
- 2009. Mechanotransduction in development: a growing role for contractility. Nat Rev Mol Cell Biol 10: 34–43. , .
- 2005. Development of tendon structure and function: regulation of collagen fibrillogenesis. J Musculoskelet Neuronal Interact 5: 5–21. , , , , , , .