Cloning and expression of a retinoic acid receptor β2 subtype from the adult newt: Evidence for an early role in tail and caudal spinal cord regeneration
Article first published online: 2 NOV 2011
Copyright © 2011 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Volume 240, Issue 12, pages 2613–2625, December 2011
How to Cite
Carter, C., Clark, A., Spencer, G. and Carlone, R. (2011), Cloning and expression of a retinoic acid receptor β2 subtype from the adult newt: Evidence for an early role in tail and caudal spinal cord regeneration. Dev. Dyn., 240: 2613–2625. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.22769
- Issue published online: 9 NOV 2011
- Article first published online: 2 NOV 2011
- Manuscript Accepted: 29 SEP 2011
- Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC). Grant Numbers: 2802, 238373
- 2010. A retinoic acid receptor beta agonist (CD2019) overcomes inhibition of axonal outgrowth via phosphoinositide 3-kinase signalling in the injured adult spinal cord. Neurobiol Dis 37: 147–155. , , , , , , , .
- 2010. Developmental expression of a molluscan RXR and evidence for its novel, nongenomic role in growth cone guidance. Dev Biol 343: 124–137. , , , .
- 1996. Spinal cord regeneration: a phenomenon unique to urodeles? Int J Dev Biol 40: 823–831. .
- 2003. Urodele spinal cord regeneration and related processes. Dev Dyn 226: 295–307. , , , .
- 2000. The role of retinoic acid receptors in neurite outgrowth from different populations of embryonic mouse dorsal root ganglia. J Cell Sci 113( pt 14): 2567–2574. , , , .
- 2002. Retinoic acid receptor beta2 and neurite outgrowth in the adult mouse spinal cord in vitro. J Cell Sci 115: 3779–3786. , , , , , , , .
- 1989. Differential expression and ligand regulation of the retinoic acid receptor alpha and beta genes. EMBO J 8: 429–433. , , , .
- 2002. Retinoid antagonists inhibit normal patterning during limb regeneration in the axolotl, Ambystoma mexicanum. J Exp Zool 292: 435–443. , .
- 2005. Retinoic acid-dependent attraction of adult spinal cord axons towards regenerating newt limb blastemas in vitro. Dev Biol 281: 112–120. , , .
- 2008. Retinoic acid synthesis and signaling during early organogenesis. Cell 134: 921–931. .
- 2002. Mechanisms of muscle dedifferentiation during regeneration. Semin Cell Dev Biol 13: 353–360. , .
- 1984. Microcontrolled release of biologically active compounds in chick embryos: beads of 200-microns diameter for the local release of retinoids. Anal Biochem 142: 542–555. , , .
- 2007. Brain regeneration in anuran amphibians. Dev Growth Differ 49: 121–129. , , , .
- 2009. A novel, nongenomic mechanism underlies retinoic acid-induced growth cone turning. J Neurosci 29: 14136–14142. , , , .
- 1989. Spatial and temporal expression of the retinoic acid receptor in the regenerating amphibian limb. Nature 337: 566–569. , , , .
- 1991. Retinoic acid stimulates neurite outgrowth in the amphibian spinal cord. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 88: 3666–3670. , , , , .
- 1976. Stages of tail regeneration in the adult newt, Notophthalmus viridescens. J Exp Zool 196: 283–292. , .
- 2007. Characterization of retinaldehyde dehydrogenase-2 induction in NG2-positive glia after spinal cord contusion injury. Int J Dev Neurosci 25: 7–16. , , , , , .
- 1993. 9-cis-retinoic acid: a direct-acting dysmorphogen. Biochem Pharmacol 46: 709–716. , .
- 1994. The retinoid X receptor ligand, 9-cis-retinoic acid, is a potential regulator of early Xenopus development. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 91: 3067–3071. , , , .
- 2002. Activation of the phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase/Akt signaling pathway by retinoic acid is required for neural differentiation of SH-SY5Y human neuroblastoma cells. J Biol Chem 277: 25297–25304. , , , , .
- 1996. Retinoids in patterning: chimeras win by a knockout. Curr Biol 6: 790–793. .
- 1997. Retinoic acid and its receptors in limb regeneration. Semin Cell Dev Biol 8: 445–453. .
- 1998. Retinoids as endogenous components of the regenerating limb and tail. Wound Repair Regen 6: 358–365. .
- 2007. Retinoic acid in the development, regeneration and maintenance of the nervous system. Nat Rev Neurosci 8: 755–765. .
- 2003. Retinoic acid, a regeneration-inducing molecule. Dev Dyn 226: 237–244. , .
- 1998. Retinoic acid as a chemotactic molecule in neuronal development. Int J Dev Neurosci 16: 317–322. , , .
- 2007. A clonal analysis of neural progenitors during axolotl spinal cord regeneration reveals evidence for both spatially restricted and multipotent progenitors. Development 134: 2083–2093. , , , .
- 2005. Retinoic acid synthesis by a population of NG2-positive cells in the injured spinal cord. Eur J Neurosci 21: 1555–1568. , , , , , , .
- 2009. Activation of the PI3 kinase pathway by retinoic acid mediates sodium/iodide symporter induction and iodide transport in MCF-7 breast cancer cells. Cancer Res 69: 3443–3450. , , , .
- 1996. Activation of a single retinoic acid receptor isoform mediates proximodistal respecification. Curr Biol 6: 563–569. , , .
- 2003. Retinoic acid involvement in the reciprocal neurotrophic interactions between newt spinal cord and limb blastemas in vitro. Brain Res Dev Brain Res 140: 67–73. , .
- 1989. Identification of a novel retinoic acid receptor in regenerative tissues of the newt. Nature 341: 654–657. , , , , .
- 2006. Macrophages and neurons are targets of retinoic acid signaling after spinal cord contusion injury. Eur J Neurosci 23: 285–295. , , , .
- 2001. Control genes in quantitative molecular biological techniques: the variability of invariance. Comp Biochem Physiol B Biochem Mol Biol 130: 281–289. , .
- 1983. Limb regeneration to digit stages occurs in well-fed adult newts after hypophysectomy. J Exp Zool 225: 433–441. .
- 1996. Is retinoic acid an endogenous ligand during urodele limb regeneration? Int J Dev Biol 40: 817–822. , .
- 2006. Retinoic acid receptor beta2 promotes functional regeneration of sensory axons in the spinal cord. Nat Neurosci 9: 243–250. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Lentiviral vector expressing retinoic acid receptor beta2 promotes recovery of function after corticospinal tract injury in the adult rat spinal cord. Hum Mol Genet 15: 3107–3118. , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Recruitment of postmitotic neurons into the regenerating spinal cord of urodeles. Dev Dyn 226: 341–348. , , .
- 2006. Regulation of retinoic acid receptors alpha, beta and retinoid X receptor alpha after sciatic nerve injury. Neuroscience 141: 1761–1774. , .
- 1994. Tissue specific expression of the retinoic acid receptor-beta 2: regulation by short open reading frames in the 5'-noncoding region. J Cell Biol 127: 1111–1119. , , .
- 2011. Meningeal cells and glia establish a permissive environment for axon regeneration after spinal cord injury in newts. Neural Dev 6: 1. , , .