Special Issue Research Article
The MicroRNA miR-8 is a positive regulator of pigmentation and eclosion in Drosophila
Article first published online: 15 DEC 2011
Copyright © 2011 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Special Issue: Special Issue on Drosophila
Volume 241, Issue 1, pages 161–168, January 2012
How to Cite
Kennell, J. A., Cadigan, K. M., Shakhmantsir, I. and Waldron, E. J. (2012), The MicroRNA miR-8 is a positive regulator of pigmentation and eclosion in Drosophila. Dev. Dyn., 241: 161–168. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.23705
- Issue published online: 15 DEC 2011
- Article first published online: 15 DEC 2011
- Manuscript Accepted: 15 NOV 2011
- NIH-NIGMS. Grant Number: F32GM074465
- 2009. MicroRNAs: target recognition and regulatory functions. Cell 136: 215–233. .
- 2003. bantam encodes a developmentally regulated microRNA that controls cell proliferation and regulates the proapoptotic gene hid in Drosophila. Cell 113: 25–36. , , , , .
- 2002. The bric a brac locus consists of two paralogous genes encoding BTB/POZ domain proteins and acts as a homeotic and morphogenetic regulator of imaginal development in Drosophila. Development 129: 2419–2433. , , , , , , , , .
- 1990. Abdominal pigmentation and growth temperature in drosophila-melanogaster - similarities and differences in the norms of reaction of successive segments. J Evol Biol 3: 429–445. , , .
- 2005. microPrimer: the biogenesis and function of microRNA. Development 132: 4645–4652. , .
- 2010. MicroRNA sponges: progress and possibilities. RNA 16: 2043–2050. , .
- 2000. Developmental constraints on an adaptive plasticity: reaction norms of pigmentation in adult segments of Drosophila melanogaster. Evol Dev 2: 249–260. , , .
- 2007. Phenotypic plasticity in Drosophila pigmentation caused by temperature sensitivity of a chromatin regulator network. PLoS Genet 3: e30. , , .
- 2011. Segregating variation in the polycomb group gene cramped alters the effect of temperature on multiple traits. PLoS Genet 7: e1001280. , , .
- 2006. Canalization of development by microRNAs. Nat Genet 38( suppl): S20–S24. , .
- 2009. Conserved MicroRNA miR-8/miR-200 and its target USH/FOG2 control growth by regulating PI3K. Cell 139: 1096–1108. , , , , , , , .
- 2007. The conserved microRNA miR-8 tunes atrophin levels to prevent neurodegeneration in Drosophila. Cell 131: 136–145. , , , , .
- 2008. The microRNA miR-8 is a conserved negative regulator of Wnt signaling. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 105: 15417–15422. , , , .
- 2005. A microRNA mediates EGF receptor signaling and promotes photoreceptor differentiation in the Drosophila eye. Cell 123: 1267–1277. , .
- 2009. A microRNA imparts robustness against environmental fluctuation during development. Cell 137: 273–282. , , , , .
- 2009. Transgenic microRNA inhibition with spatiotemporal specificity in intact organisms. Nat Methods 6: 897–903. , , , .
- 2004. Systematic generation of high-resolution deletion coverage of the Drosophila melanogaster genome. Nat Genet 36: 288–292. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2010. A view from Drosophila: multiple biological functions for individual microRNAs. Semin Cell Dev Biol 21: 745–753. , .
- 2004. A complementary transposon tool kit for Drosophila melanogaster using P and piggyBac. Nat Genet 36: 283–287. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2007. U-shaped protein domains required for repression of cardiac gene expression in Drosophila. Differentiation 75: 166–174. , , , , .
- 2011. Targeting Notch signalling by the conserved miR-8/200 microRNA family in development and cancer cells. EMBO J 30: 756–769. , , .
- 2009. Development and evolution of insect pigmentation: genetic mechanisms and the potential consequences of pleiotropy. Semin Cell Dev Biol 20: 65–71. , .
- 2003. Evolution in black and white: genetic control of pigment patterns in Drosophila. Trends Genet 19: 495–504. , , .
- 2009. Evolution under canalization and the dual roles of microRNAs: a hypothesis. Genome Res 19: 734–743. , , .