A novel method for retinoic acid administration reveals differential and dose-dependent downregulation of Fgf3 in the developing inner ear and anterior CNS
Article first published online: 14 FEB 2012
Copyright © 2012 Wiley Periodicals, Inc
Volume 241, Issue 4, pages 741–758, April 2012
How to Cite
Cadot, S., Frenz, D. and Maconochie, M. (2012), A novel method for retinoic acid administration reveals differential and dose-dependent downregulation of Fgf3 in the developing inner ear and anterior CNS. Dev. Dyn., 241: 741–758. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.23748
- Issue published online: 12 MAR 2012
- Article first published online: 14 FEB 2012
- Accepted manuscript online: 25 JAN 2012 12:00AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 13 JAN 2012
- The Wellcome Trust UK
- Deafness Research UK
- National Organization of Hearing Research USA
- 2005. Teratogenic effects of retinoic acid are modulated in mice lacking expression of epidermal growth factor and transforming growth factor-alpha. Birth Defects Res A Clin Mol Teratol 73: 204–217. , , .
- 2008. Retinoic acid affects craniofacial patterning by changing Fgf8 expression in the pharyngeal ectoderm. Dev Growth Differ 50: 717–729. , , .
- 1989. Retinoic-acid-induced limb-reduction defects: perturbation of zones of programmed cell death as a pathogenetic mechanism. Teratology 40: 163–171. , .
- 2003. Requirements for FGF-3 and FGF-10 during inner ear formation. Development 130: 6329–6338. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1991. Target tissue specificity of retinoic acid-induced stress proteins and malformations in mice. Teratology 44: 19–28. , , , , , , .
- 1996. Retinoic acid induces stage-specific repatterning of the rostral central nervous system. Dev Biol 175: 347–357. , , , .
- 2011. Transient retinoic acid signaling confers anterior-posterior polarity to the inner ear. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 108: 161–166. , , , , , .
- 2000. Stress produced by gavage administration in the rat. Contemp Top Lab Anim Sci 39: 17–21. , , .
- 2004. Dose-response for retinoic acid-induced forelimb malformations and cleft palate: a comparison of computerized image analysis and visual inspection. Birth Defects Res B Dev Reprod Toxicol 71: 289–295. , , , .
- 1998. The differential sensitivities of inner ear structures to retinoic acid during development. Dev Biol 204: 136–150. , , .
- 1992. Exogenous retinoic acid rapidly induces anterior ectopic expression of murine Hox-2 genes in vivo. Development 116: 357–368. , .
- 1985. Spontaneous and retinoic acid-induced postaxial polydactyly in mice. Teratology 31: 49–59. , .
- 1998. Role of TGF-beta in RA-induced cleft palate in CD-1 mice. Teratology 58: 197–204. , , , .
- 1983. Early morphological abnormalities in splotch mouse embryos and predisposition to gene- and retinoic acid-induced neural tube defects. Teratology 28: 461–472. , .
- 2009. Developmental expression of retinoic acid receptors (RARs). Nucl Recept Signal 7: e006. .
- 2008. Retinoic acid synthesis and signaling during early organogenesis. Cell 134: 921–931. .
- 1992. Spina bifida aperta induced by valproic acid and by all-trans-retinoic acid in the mouse: distinct differences in morphology and periods of sensitivity. Teratology 46: 117–130. , , , .
- 1999. RARbeta mediates the response of Hoxd4 and Hoxb4 to exogenous retinoic acid. Dev Dyn 215: 96–107. , , , , .
- 1997. Effect of retinoic acid on otic capsule chondrogenesis in high density culture suggests disruption of epithelial-mesenchymal interactions. Teratology 56: 233–240. , .
- 2000. Treatment with all-trans-retinoic acid decreases levels of endogenous TGF-beta(1) in the mesenchyme of the developing mouse inner ear. Teratology 61: 297–304. , .
- 1996. Retinoic acid-induced embryopathy of the mouse inner ear. Teratology 53: 292–303. , , , .
- 2010. Retinoid signaling in inner ear development: A “Goldilocks” phenomenon. Am J Med Genet A 152A: 2947–2961. , , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Retinoic acid and hindbrain patterning. J Neurobiol 66: 705–725. , , .
- 2007. Changes in retinoic acid signaling alter otic patterning. Development 134: 2449–2458. , .
- 1936. Relations of symmetry in the developing ear of amblystoma punctatum. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 22: 238–247. .
- 2001. Retinoic acid specifically downregulates Fgf4 and inhibits posterior cell proliferation in the developing mouse autopod. J Anat 198: 561–568. , .
- 2010. A spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down: a novel technique to improve oral gavage in mice. JAALAS 49: 329–334. , , , .
- 2010. Taming anxiety in laboratory mice. Nature Methods 7: 825–826. , .
- 1999. Expression of Pax2 and patterning of the chick inner ear. J Neurocytol 28: 795–807. , , , , .
- 1997. Contribution of retinoic acid receptor gamma to retinoid-induced craniofacial and axial defects. Dev Dyn 209: 92–104. , .
- 1988. Histological comparison of the effects of the splotch gene and retinoic acid on the closure of the mouse neural tube. Teratology 37: 389–399. , .
- 1992. The atlas of mouse development. New York: Academic Press. .
- 2003. Axial skeletal and Hox expression domain alterations induced by retinoic acid, valproic acid, and bromoxynil during murine development. J Biochem Mol Toxicol 17: 346–356. , , , , , , .
- 1993. The developing organ of Corti contains retinoic acid and forms supernumerary hair cells in response to exogenous retinoic acid in culture. Development 119: 1041–1053. , , , , .
- 1973. Limb development in mouse embryos. I. Analysis of teratogenic effects of retinoic acid. Teratology 7: 289–298. .
- 1984. Comparative teratogenic activities of two retinoids: effects on palate and limb development. Teratog Carcinog Mutagen 4: 377–387. , , .
- 1999. Determination of the optimal time and dosage of all-trans retinoic acid for induction of murine exencephaly. Teratology 60: 63–67. , , .
- 1980. Estimation of creatine phosphokinase and hydroxyproline in the developing limb: its use in evaluating the effect of teratogens on myogenesis and chondrogenesis. Teratog Carcinog Mutagen 1: 181–191. , .
- 1984. Mouse limb bud development in submerged culture: quantitative assessment of the effects of in vivo exposure to retinoic acid. Teratog Carcinog Mutagen 4: 311–326. , , .
- 2006. Interactive effects of cadmium and all-trans-retinoic acid on the induction of forelimb ectrodactyly in C57BL/6 mice. Birth Defects Res A Clin Mol Teratol 76: 19–28. , , , .
- 1995. Anteriorization of CRABP-I expression by retinoic acid in the developing mouse central nervous system and its relationship to teratogenesis. Dev Biol 168: 514–528. , , , .
- 2008. Retinoic acid-induced inner ear teratogenesis caused by defective Fgf3/Fgf10-dependent Dlx5 signaling. Birth Defects Res B Dev Reprod Toxicol 83: 134–144. , , , .
- 1984. Fetal hydrocephalus and ear anomalies associated with maternal use of isotretinoin. J Pediatr 105: 597–600. , , , .
- 1996. Expression of Fgf-3 in relation to hindbrain segmentation, otic pit position and pharyngeal arch morphology in normal and retinoic acid-exposed mouse embryos. Anat Embryol (Berl) 194: 13–22. , , .
- 1997. Segmental identity can change independently in the hindbrain and rhombencephalic neural crest. Dev Dyn 210: 146–156. , .
- 1993. Mice homozygous for a targeted disruption of the proto-oncogene int-2 have developmental defects in the tail and inner ear. Development 117:13–28. , , .
- 2009. Function of retinoic acid receptors during embryonic development. Nucl Recept Signal 7: e002. , , .
- 1992. Retinoic acid alters hindbrain Hox code and induces transformation of rhombomeres 2/3 into a 4/5 identity. Nature 360: 737–741. , , , , , .
- 1996. The role of Fgf-3 in early inner ear development: An analysis in normal and kreisler mutant mice. Dev Biol 174: 370–378. , , .
- 2006. Effect of restraint and injection methods on heart rate and body temperature in mice. Lab Anim 40: 382–391. , , , .
- 1991. Effects of retinoic acid excess on expression of Hox-2.9 and Krox-20 and on morphological segmentation in the hindbrain of mouse embryos. EMBO J 10: 2985–2995. , , , .
- 2000. Effects of excess vitamin A on development of cranial neural crest-derived structures: a neonatal and embryologic study. Teratology 62: 214–226. , , , , , , .
- 2001. Embryonic retinoic acid synthesis is essential for heart morphogenesis in the mouse. Development 128: 1019–1031. , , , , , .
- 1998. Developmental eye abnormalities in mouse fetuses induced by retinoic acid. Jpn J Ophthalmol 42: 162–167. , .
- 2006. Morphometric and functional abnormalities of kidneys in the progeny of mice fed chocolate during pregnancy and lactation. Folia Histochem Cytobiol 44: 207–211. , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Regulatory analysis of the mouse Fgf3 gene: Identification of an enhancer that mediates embryonic expression patterns and its partial dependence upon sonic hedgehog (Shh) signalling. Dev Dyn 230: 44–68. , , , , , , , .
- 2011. Her9 represses neurogenic fate downstream of Tbx1 and retinoic acid signaling in the inner ear. Development 138: 397–408. , , , , .
- 1997. ImageJ. National Institute of Health, Bethesda, Maryland, USA: http://imageJ.nih.gov .
- 1995a. Enhancement of the teratogenicity of all-trans-retinoic acid by maternal restraint stress in mice as a function of treatment timing. Teratology 51: 63–70. , .
- 1995b. Maternal restraint stress-enhanced teratogenicity of all-trans-retinoic acid in CD-1 mice. Teratology 51: 57–62. , .
- 2005. Coronary artery embryogenesis in cardiac defects induced by retinoic acid in mice. Birth Defects Res A Clin Mol Teratol 73: 966–979. , , , .
- 2002. The retinoic acid receptors RARalpha and RARgamma are required for inner ear development. Mech Dev 119: 213–223. , , , , , .
- 2006a. Retinoid signaling in inner ear development. J Neurobiol 66: 687–704. , , .
- 2006b. Dynamic expression of retinoic acid-synthesizing and -metabolizing enzymes in the developing mouse inner ear. J Comp Neurol 496: 643–654. , , , , , .
- 2007. Altered localization of gene expression in both ectoderm and mesoderm is associated with a murine strain difference in retinoic acid-induced forelimb ectrodactyly. Birth Defects Res A Clin Mol Teratol 79: 465–482. , , , .
- 1995. Retinoic acid induces stage-specific antero-posterior transformation of rostral central nervous system. Mech Dev 51: 83–98. , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Chocolate feeding of pregnant mice influences length of limbs of their progeny. Pol J Vet Sci 6: 57–59. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1995. Teratogenicity of low doses of all-trans retinoic acid in presomite mouse embryos. Teratology 51: 398–403. , , , .
- 1995. Altered gene expression in murine branchial arches following in utero exposure to retinoic acid. J Craniofac Genet Dev Biol 15: 13–25. , , .
- 2003. Retinoic acid repression of bone morphogenetic protein 4 in inner ear development. Mol Cell Biol 23: 2277–2286. , , , .
- 2004. [Histologic and ultrastructural features of cell death both physiological and induced by two different teratogens in branchial arches of mouse embryo]. Rev Med Brux 25: 14–20. , , , , , , .
- 2009. Smad2/3 is involved in growth inhibition of mouse embryonic palate mesenchymal cells induced by all-trans retinoic acid. Birth Defects Res A Clin Mol Teratol 85: 780–790. , , .
- 1999. Retinoic acid affects left-right patterning. Dev Biol 215: 332–342. , .
- 2007. Complex regulation of cyp26a1 creates a robust retinoic acid gradient in the zebrafish embryo. PLoS Biol 5: e304. , , , .
- 1994. Exposure to retinoic acid before or after the onset of somitogenesis reveals separate effects on rhombomeric segmentation and 3′ HoxB gene expression domains. Development 120: 2279–2285. , , .
- 2003. Fgf3 and Fgf10 are required for mouse otic placode induction. Development 130: 3379–3390. , .
- 1998. Axial specification for sensory organs versus non-sensory structures of the chicken inner ear. Development 125: 11–20. , , .
- 2007. Differential requirements for FGF3, FGF8 and FGF10 during inner ear development. Dev Biol 308: 379–391. , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Differential expression of decorin and biglycan genes during palatogenesis in normal and retinoic acid-treated mice. Dev Dyn 226: 618–626. , , , , , , , , , , .