Neural crest cells pattern the surface cephalic ectoderm during FEZ formation
Version of Record online: 12 MAR 2012
Copyright © 2012 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Volume 241, Issue 4, pages 732–740, April 2012
How to Cite
Hu, D. and Marcucio, R. S. (2012), Neural crest cells pattern the surface cephalic ectoderm during FEZ formation. Dev. Dyn., 241: 732–740. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.23764
- Issue online: 12 MAR 2012
- Version of Record online: 12 MAR 2012
- Accepted manuscript online: 22 FEB 2012 12:00AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 13 FEB 2012
- NIH. Grant Number: NIDCR: R01-DE018234; R01-DE019638
- 2007. Cross-regulatory interactions between Fgf8 and Shh in the avian frontonasal prominence. Congen Anom 47: 136–148. , , , , .
- 2002. Endogenous bone morphogenetic proteins regulate outgrowth and epithelial survival during avian lip fusion. Development 129: 4647–4660. , , .
- 2001. Expression of members of the Fgf family and their receptors during midfacial development. Mech Dev 100: 313–316. , .
- 1997. Ectopic application of recombinant BMP-2 and BMP-4 can change patterning of developing chick facial primordia. Development 124: 391–398. , .
- 2012. Signaling by SHH rescues facial defects following blockade in the brain. Dev Dyn 241:247–256. , , , , , , .
- 2004. Temporal perturbations in sonic hedgehog signaling elicit the spectrum of holoprosencephaly phenotypes. J Clin Invest 114: 485–494. , , , , , .
- 2004. Reciprocal relationships between Fgf8 and neural crest cells in facial and forebrain development. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 101: 4843–4847. , , , .
- 1995. The mouse Fgf8 gene encodes a family of polypeptides and is expressed in regions that direct outgrowth and patterning in the developing embryo. Development 121: 439–451. , .
- 2008. Tweaking the hinge and caps: testing a model of the organization of jaws. J Exp Zool B Mol Dev Evol 310: 315–335. , .
- 2006. 21st century neontology and the comparative development of the vertebrate skull. Dev Dyn 235: 1256–1291. , .
- 2005. Quail-duck chimeras reveal spatiotemporal plasticity in molecular and histogenic programs of cranial feather development. Development 132: 1499–1509. , .
- 2006. Early Hedgehog signaling from neural to oral epithelium organizes anterior craniofacial development. Development 133: 1069–1077. , , , .
- 2008. MicroRNA Mirn140 modulates Pdgf signaling during palatogenesis. Nat Genet 40: 290–298. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Molecular bases of human neurocristopathies. Adv Exp Med Biol 589: 213–234. , , .
- 2002. FGF signaling regulates expression of Tbx2, Erm, Pea3, and Pax3 in the early nasal region. Dev Biol 247: 237–250. , .
- 2007. Signaling by bone morphogenetic proteins directs formation of an ectodermal signaling center that regulates craniofacial development. Dev Biol 312: 103–114. , , .
- 1999. VEGF is required for growth and survival in neonatal mice. Development 126:1149–1159. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1951. A series of developmental stages in development of the chick embryo. J Morphol 88: 49–92. , .
- 2006. Tissue-specific expression of Fgfr2b and Fgfr2c isoforms, Fgf10 and Fgf9 in the developing chick mandible.. Arch Oral Biol 51: 134–145. , , .
- 2010. The function and regulation of TBX22 in avian frontonasal morphogenesis. Dev Dyn 239: 458–473. , , .
- 2009a. A SHH-responsive signaling center in the forebrain regulates craniofacial morphogenesis via the facial ectoderm. Development 136: 107–116. , .
- 2009b. Unique organization of the frontonasal ectodermal zone in birds and mammals. Dev Biol 325: 200–210. , .
- 2003. A zone of frontonasal ectoderm regulates patterning and growth in the face. Development 130: 1749–1758. , , .
- 2008. Effect of bone morphogenetic protein signaling on development of the jaw skeleton. Dev Dyn 237: 3727–3737. , , .
- 2004. Hedgehog signaling in the neural crest cells regulates the patterning and growth of facial primordia. Genes Dev 18: 937–951. , , , , .
- 2002. Survey of fibroblast growth factor expression during chick organogenesis. Anat Rec 268:1–6. , , , .
- 2006. Expression of Wnt9b and activation of canonical wnt signaling during midfacial morphogenesis in mice. Dev Dyn 235: 1448–1454. , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Molecular interactions coordinating the development of the forebrain and face. Dev Biol 284: 48–61. , , , .
- 1997. Epithelium is required for maintaining FGFR-2 expression levels in facial mesenchyme of the developing chick embryo. Dev Dyn 210: 407–416. , .
- 2009. Vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) regulates cranial neural crest migration in vivo. Dev Biol 339: 114–125. , , , , .
- 2008. Mesenchyme-dependent BMP signaling directs the timing of mandibular osteogenesis. Development 135: 1223–1234. , , , , .
- 2002. Region- and stage-specific effects of FGFs and BMPs in chick mandibular morphogenesis. Dev Dyn 223: 333–352. , , , , .
- 2007. FGF signaling in mandibular skeletogenesis. Orthod Craniofac Res 10: 59–66. , , .
- 2000. Ras-mediated FGF signaling is required for the formation of posterior but not anterior neural tissue in Xenopus laevis. Dev Biol 227: 183–196. Jr., , , , , .
- 2007. Sequence evaluation of FGF and FGFR gene conserved non-coding elements in non-syndromic cleft lip and palate cases. Am J Med Genet A 143A: 3228–3234. , .
- 2000. Ectodermally derived FGF8 defines the maxillomandibular region in the early chick embryo: epithelial-mesenchymal interactions in the specification of the craniofacial ectomesenchyme. Dev Biol 228: 73–85. , , .
- 2004. Control of retinoic acid synthesis and FGF expression in the nasal pit is required to pattern the craniofacial skeleton. Dev Biol 276: 313–329. , , , .
- 2003. Dosage of Fgf8 determines whether cell survival is positively or negatively regulated in the developing forebrain. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 100: 1757–1762. , , .
- 2006. Dose-dependent functions of Fgf8 in regulating telencephalic patterning centers. Development 133: 1831–1844. , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Design, synthesis, and evaluations of substituted 3-[(3- or 4-carboxyethylpyrrol-2-yl)methylidenyl]indolin-2-ones as inhibitors of VEGF, FGF, and PDGF receptor tyrosine kinases. J Med Chem 42: 5120–5130. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2008. FGF signals from the nasal pit are necessary for normal facial morphogenesis. Dev Biol 318: 289–302. , , , , .
- 2009. Novel skeletogenic patterning roles for the olfactory pit. Development 136: 219–229. , , , , , .
- 1999. VEGF activates protein kinase C-dependent, but Ras-independent Raf-MEK-MAP kinase pathway for DNA synthesis in primary endothelial cells. Oncogene 18: 2221–2230. , , .
- 1999. Fgf-8 determines rostral-caudal polarity in the first branchial arch. Development 126: 51–61. , , , , .
- 1995. Expression of bone morphogenetic protein-4 (BMP-4), bone morphogenetic protein-7 (BMP-7), fibroblast growth factor-8 (FGF-8) and sonic hedgehog (SHH) during branchial arch development in the chick. Mech Dev 53: 383–392. , .
- 1976. A procedure for differential staining of cartilage and bone in whole formalin-fixed vertebrates. Stain Technology 51: 131–134. .
- 2009. Signaling integration in the rugae growth zone directs sequential SHH signaling center formation during the rostral outgrowth of the palate. Dev Biol 336:53–67. , .
- 1997. Expression of fibroblast growth factor receptors (FGFR1, FGFR2, FGFR3) in the developing head and face. Dev Dyn 210: 41–52. , , , .
- 2004. Molecular shaping of the beak. Science 305: 1465–1466. , , , , .
- 2006. Morphoregulation of avian beaks: comparative mapping of growth zone activities and morphological evolution. Dev Dyn 235: 1400–1412. , , , , .