Immunophenotypic characterization of enteric neural crest cells in the developing avian colorectum
Version of Record online: 23 MAR 2012
Copyright © 2012 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Volume 241, Issue 5, pages 842–851, May 2012
How to Cite
Nagy, N., Burns, A. J. and Goldstein, A. M. (2012), Immunophenotypic characterization of enteric neural crest cells in the developing avian colorectum. Dev. Dyn., 241: 842–851. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.23767
- Issue online: 16 APR 2012
- Version of Record online: 23 MAR 2012
- Accepted manuscript online: 12 MAR 2012 01:04PM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 27 FEB 2012
- NIH. Grant Number: R01DK080914
- 1980. The origin and differentiation of enteric neurons of the intestine of the fowl embryo. Am J Anat 157: 137–154. , .
- 2006. The cell adhesion molecule l1 is required for chain migration of neural crest cells in the developing mouse gut. Gastroenterology 130: 1221–1232. , , , , , .
- 2006. Targeted mutation of serine 697 in the Ret tyrosine kinase causes migration defect of enteric neural crest cells. Development 133: 4507–4516. , , , , , , .
- 1999. The topography, architecture, and structure of the enteric nervous system in the jejunum and ileum of cattle. J Anat 195: 1–9. , , , , , , .
- 2008. Critical numbers of neural crest cells are required in the pathways from the neural tube to the foregut to ensure complete enteric nervous system formation. Development 135: 1681–1691. , , , .
- 1998. The sacral neural crest contributes neurons and glia to the post-umbilical gut: spatiotemporal analysis of the development of the enteric nervous system. Development 125: 4335–4347. , .
- 2005. Migration of neural crest-derived enteric nervous system precursor cells to and within the gastrointestinal tract. Int J Dev Biol 49: 143–150. .
- 2009. Genetic model system studies of the development of the enteric nervous system, gut motility and Hirschsprung's disease. Neurogastroenterol Motil 21: 113–127. , , .
- 2003. Appearance of neurons and glia with respect to the wavefront during colonization of the avian gut by neural crest cells. Dev Dyn 226: 91–98. , , , .
- 2004. Enteric nervous system patterning in the avian hindgut. Dev Dyn 229: 708–712. , , .
- 2005. The pattern of neural crest advance in the cecum and colon. Dev Biol 287: 125–133. , .
- 2007. Behavior of enteric neural crest-derived cells varies with respect to the migratory wavefront. Dev Dyn 236: 84–92. , .
- 2009. Age-dependent changes in the gut environment restrict the invasion of the hindgut by enteric neural progenitors. Development 136: 3195–3203. , .
- 1995. Appearance of neurons in the developing chick gut. Dev Dyn 204: 192–201. , , , .
- 2004. Embryonic development of the ganglion plexuses and the concentric layer structure of human gut: a topographical study. Anat Embryol (Berl) 208: 33–41. , , , .
- 2008. A bird's eye view of enteric nervous system development: lessons from the avian embryo. Pediatr Res 64: 326–333. , .
- 2011. On the role of differential adhesion in gangliogenesis in the enteric nervous system. J Theor Biol 287: 148–159. , , , .
- 1992. A series of normal stages in the development of the chick embryo. 1951. Dev Dyn 195: 231–272. , .
- 2004. Mice expressing a dominant-negative Ret mutation phenocopy human Hirschsprung disease and delineate a direct role of Ret in spermatogenesis. Development 131: 5503–5513. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Colonization of the murine hindgut by sacral crest-derived neural precursors: experimental support for an evolutionarily conserved model. Dev Biol 227: 146–155. .
- 2010. Hirschsprung's disease. Semin Pediatr Surg 19: 194–200. , , .
- 1994. The expression pattern of a novel gene encoding brain-fatty acid binding protein correlates with neuronal and glial cell development. Development 120: 2637–2649. , , , , , .
- 1973. The migration of neural crest cells to the wall of the digestive tract in avian embryo. J Embryol Exp Morphol 30: 31–48. , .
- 1992. Characterization of HNK-1 antigens during the formation of the avian enteric nervous system. Development 115: 561–572. , , , , , .
- 2008. Localised axial progenitor cell populations in the avian tail bud are not committed to a posterior Hox identity. Development 135: 2289–2299. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Development of the submucous plexus in the large intestine of the mouse. Cell Tissue Res 303: 301–305. , , .
- 2005. Peripheral blood fibrocytes contribute to the formation of the avian spleen. Dev Dyn 232: 55–66. , , , , , .
- 2007. Pelvic plexus contributes ganglion cells to the hindgut enteric nervous system. Dev Dyn 236: 73–83. , , , .
- 1993. Ablation of various regions within the avian vagal neural crest has differential effects on ganglion formation in the fore-, mid- and hindgut. Dev Dyn 196: 183–194. , , , , , .
- 2003. Sox8 is a specific marker for muscle satellite cells and inhibits myogenesis. J Biol Chem 278: 29769–29775. , , , , .
- 2007. Cell proliferation drives neural crest cell invasion of the intestine. Dev Biol 302: 553–568. , , , , .
- 1990. Pathfinding during spinal tract formation in the chick-quail chimera analysed by species-specific monoclonal antibodies. Development 110: 565–571. , , , , .
- 1990. Distinct distribution of CGRP-, encephalin-, galanin-, neuromedin U-, neuropeptide Y-, somatostatin-, substance P-, VIP-, and serotonin-containing neurons in the two submucosal ganglionic neural networks of the porcine small intestine. Cell Tissue Res 260: 367–379. , , , , .
- 1988. Expression of the HNK-1/NC-1 epitope in early vertebrate neurogenesis. Cell Tissue Res 251: 457–465. , , , , .
- 2010. Neural precursor death is central to the pathogenesis of intestinal aganglionosis in Ret hypomorphic mice. J Neurosci 30: 5211–5218. , .
- 2005. Development of the enteric nervous system, smooth muscle and interstitial cells of Cajal in the human gastrointestinal tract. Cell Tissue Res 319: 367–382. , .
- 2005. Intestinal growth and differentiation in zebrafish. Mech Dev 122: 157–173. , , , , .
- 2010. Genetic background impacts developmental potential of enteric neural crest-derived progenitors in the SoxDom model of Hirschsprung disease. Hum Mol Genet 19: 4353–4372. , , , , .
- 2011. Analysis of the sacral neural crest cell contribution to the hindgut enteric nervous system in the mouse embryo. Gastroenterology 141: 992–1002. , , , , .
- 1999. Organization of the enteric nervous system in the human colon demonstrated by wholemount immunohistochemistry with special reference to the submucous plexus. Ann Anat 181: 327–337. , , , , , , .
- 1991. Evidence that biological activity of NGF is mediated through a novel subclass of high affinity receptors. Neuron 6: 649–663. , .
- 1954. The origin of intrinsic ganglia of trunk viscera from vagal neural crest in the chick embryo. J Comp Neurol 101: 515–541. , .
- 1998. A single rostrocaudal colonization of the rodent intestine by enteric neuron precursors is revealed by the expression of Phox2b, Ret, and p75 and by explants grown under the kidney capsule or in organ culture. Dev Biol 202: 67–84. , , , , , .
- 2001. Enteric neural crest-derived cells: origin, identification, migration, and differentiation. Anat Rec 262: 1–15. , .
- 2003. Acquisition of neuronal and glial markers by neural crest-derived cells in the mouse intestine. J Comp Neurol 456: 1–11. , , .
- 2004. Dynamics of neural crest-derived cell migration in the embryonic mouse gut. Dev Biol 270: 455–473. , , , , , , .
- 2010. Neural crest regionalization for enteric nervous system formation: implications for Hirschsprung's disease and stem cell therapy. Dev Biol 339: 280–294. , , , , .