Lack of lipid phosphate phosphatase-3 in embryonic stem cells compromises neuronal differentiation and neurite outgrowth
Article first published online: 16 APR 2012
Copyright © 2012 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Volume 241, Issue 5, pages 953–964, May 2012
How to Cite
Sánchez-Sánchez, R., Morales-Lázaro, S. L., Baizabal, J.-M., Sunkara, M., Morris, A. J. and Escalante-Alcalde, D. (2012), Lack of lipid phosphate phosphatase-3 in embryonic stem cells compromises neuronal differentiation and neurite outgrowth. Dev. Dyn., 241: 953–964. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.23779
- Issue published online: 16 APR 2012
- Article first published online: 16 APR 2012
- Accepted manuscript online: 20 MAR 2012 10:02AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 12 MAR 2012
- CONACyT. Grant Numbers: 39995, 53777
- PAPIIT. Grant Numbers: IX208504, IN216009
- NIH. Grant Numbers: R01GM50388, 1P20RR021954
- 2010. Boronic acid-based inhibitor of autotaxin reveals rapid turnover of LPA in the circulation. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 107: 7257–7262. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2009. The embryonic midbrain directs neuronal specification of embryonic stem cells at early stages of differentiation. Dev Biol 325: 49–59. , .
- 2006. De novo biosynthesis of dihydrosphingosine-1-phosphate by sphingosine kinase 1 in mammalian cells. Cell Signal 18: 1779–1792. , , , , , , .
- 2009. Lipid phosphate phosphatases and signaling. J Lipid Res 50( suppl): S225–S230. , .
- 2006. Differential expression of the intermediate filament protein nestin during renal development and its localization in adult podocytes. J Am Soc Nephrol 17: 1283–1291. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2010. LPA receptors: subtypes and biological actions. Annu Rev Pharmacol Toxicol 50: 157–186. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Expression and function of alpha-smooth muscle actin during embryonic-stem-cell-derived cardiomyocyte differentiation. J Cell Sci 120: 229–238. , , , , , , .
- 2006. Promotive action of lysophosphatidic acid on proliferation of rat embryonic neural stem cells and their differentiation to cholinergic neurons in vitro. Sheng li xue bao: [Acta physiologica Sinica] 58: 547–555. , .
- 2008. Lysophosphatidic acid inhibits neuronal differentiation of neural stem/progenitor cells derived from human embryonic stem cells. Stem Cells 26: 1146–1154. , , , .
- 1997. Involvement of sphingosine 1-phosphate in nerve growth factor-mediated neuronal survival and differentiation. J Neurosci 17: 6952–6960. , , .
- 2003. The lipid phosphatase LPP3 regulates extra-embryonic vasculogenesis and axis patterning. Development 130: 4623–4637. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Generation of a reporter-null allele of Ppap2b/Lpp3 and its expression during embryogenesis. Int J Dev Biol 53: 139–147. , , .
- 2007. Generation of a conditional Ppap2b/Lpp3 null allele. Genesis 45: 465–469. , , , .
- 2010. ATX expression and LPA signalling are vital for the development of the nervous system. Dev Biol 339: 451–464. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. LPA in neural cell development. J Cell Biochem 92: 993–1003. .
- 2006. Actomyosin-dependent microtubule rearrangement in lysophosphatidic acid-induced neurite remodeling of young cortical neurons. Brain Res 1094: 65–75. , .
- 2002. Lysophosphatidic acid influences the morphology and motility of young, postmitotic cortical neurons. Mol Cell Neurosci 20: 271–282. , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Lysophosphatidic acid stimulates neuronal differentiation of cortical neuroblasts through the LPA1-G(i/o) pathway. Neurochem Int 50: 302–307. , , , .
- 2005. The role of the Rho GTPases in neuronal development. Genes Dev 19: 1–49. , , .
- 1997. Ceramide induces apoptosis in PC12 cells. FEBS Lett 401: 148–152. , , .
- 2003. Differential localization of lipid phosphate phosphatases 1 and 3 to cell surface subdomains in polarized MDCK cells. FEBS Lett 552: 240–246. , , , , .
- 2006. Lipid phosphate phosphatases 1 and 3 are localized in distinct lipid rafts. J Biochem 140: 677–686. , , , , , .
- 2010. Intrinsic transition of embryonic stem-cell differentiation into neural progenitors. Nature 470: 503–509. , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Non-proliferative effects of lysophosphatidic acid enhance cortical growth and folding. Nat Neurosci 6: 1292–1299. , , , , .
- 2011. Autotaxin is required for the cranial neural tube closure and establishment of the midbrain-hindbrain boundary during mouse development. Dev Dyn 240: 413–421. , , , , , .
- 2004. Rho GTPases and phosphoinositide 3-kinase organize formation of branched dendrites. J Biol Chem 279: 585–596. , , , , , , , .
- 2011. Expression of LPP3 in Bergmann glia is required for proper cerebellar sphingosine-1-phosphate metabolism/signaling and development. Glia 59: 577–589. , , , , , , , .
- 2010. Discovery, biological evaluation, and structure-activity relationship of amidine based sphingosine kinase inhibitors. J Med Chem 53: 2766–2778. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Differential expression of sphingosine-1-phosphate receptors 1–5 in the developing nervous system. Dev Dyn 238: 487–500. , .
- 2005. Essential role for sphingosine kinases in neural and vascular development. Mol Cell Biol 25: 11113–11121. , , , , , .
- 2008. Expression patterns of the lysophospholipid receptor genes during mouse early development. Dev Dyn 237: 3280–3294. , , , , , , , .
- 2010. Autotaxin controls caudal diencephalon-mesencephalon development in the chick. Dev Dyn 239: 2647–2658. , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Regulation of stem cell pluripotency and neural differentiation by lysophospholipids. Neurosignals 17: 242–254. , .
- 1996. Sphingosine-1-phosphate rapidly induces Rho-dependent neurite retraction: action through a specific cell surface receptor. EMBO J 15: 2388–2392. , , , .
- 2008. Phosphatase-resistant analogues of lysophosphatidic acid: agonists promote healing, antagonists and autotaxin inhibitors treat cancer. Biochim Biophys Acta 1781: 588–594. , , , , , .
- 2003. Identification of plateled-derived growth factor-BB as cardiogenesis-inducing factor in mouse embryonic stem cells under serum-free conditions. Cell Physiol Biochem 13: 423–429. , , , , , , .
- 2005. BMP2 and FGF2 cooperate to induce neural-crest-like fates from fetal and adult CNS stem cells. J Cell Sci 118: 5849–5860. , , , , , .
- 2004. Structural and functional characteristics of S1P receptors. J Cell Biochem 92: 913–922. , .
- 1996. Alternative neural crest cell fates are instructively promoted by TGFbeta superfamily members. Cell 85: 331–343. , , .
- 1999. Protective effects of the TNF-ceramide pathway against glutamate neurotoxicity on cultured mesencephalic neurons. Brain Res 819: 170–173. , , , .
- 2005. Integral membrane lipid phosphatases/phosphotransferases: common structure and diverse functions. Biochem J 387: 281–293. , , .
- 2003. Lipid phosphate phosphatases regulate lysophosphatidic acid production and signaling in platelets: studies using chemical inhibitors of lipid phosphate phosphatase activity. J Biol Chem 278: 43214–43223. , , , , , , , .
- 2008. A role for S1P signalling in axon guidance in the Xenopus visual system. Development 135: 333–342. , , , , .
- 2009. 5-Fluoro-2-indolyl des-chlorohalopemide (FIPI), a phospholipase D pharmacological inhibitor that alters cell spreading and inhibits chemotaxis. Mol Pharmacol 75: 437–446. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Autotaxin stabilizes blood vessels and is required for embryonic vasculature by producing lysophosphatidic acid. J Biol Chem 281: 25822–25830. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. A postmitotic role for Isl-class LIM homeodomain proteins in the assignment of visceral spinal motor neuron identity. Neuron 41: 337–350. , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Differential transactivation of sphingosine-1-phosphate receptors modulates NGF-induced neurite extension. J Cell Biol 166: 381–392. , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Lipid phosphate phosphohydrolase type 1 (LPP1) degrades extracellular lysophosphatidic acid in vivo. Biochem J 419: 611–618. , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Disruption of the glucocorticoid receptor gene in the nervous system results in reduced anxiety. Nat Genet 23: 99–103. , , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Autotaxin, a secreted lysophospholipase D, is essential for blood vessel formation during development. Mol Cell Biol 26: 5015–5022. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Directed differentiation of embryonic stem cells into motor neurons. Cell 110: 385–397. , , , .
- 2004. Sphingosine 1-phosphate cross-activates the Smad signaling cascade and mimics transforming growth factor-beta-induced cell responses. J Biol Chem 279: 35255–35262. , , , , , , , , .
- 2010. Lysophosphatidic acid influences initial neuronal polarity establishment. Neurosci Lett 480: 154–157. , , .
- 2008. Lysophosphatidic acid and thrombin receptors require both G alpha12 and G alpha13 to regulate axonal morphology in hippocampal neurons. Biol Pharm Bull 31: 2216–2222. , , .
- 2000. Mice mutant for Ppap2c, a homolog of the germ cell migration regulator wunen, are viable and fertile. Genesis 27: 137–140. , , .