Antagonistic activities of Rho and Rac GTPases underlie the transition from neural crest delamination to migration
Article first published online: 18 MAY 2012
Copyright © 2012 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Volume 241, Issue 7, pages 1155–1168, July 2012
How to Cite
Shoval, I. and Kalcheim, C. (2012), Antagonistic activities of Rho and Rac GTPases underlie the transition from neural crest delamination to migration. Dev. Dyn., 241: 1155–1168. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.23799
- Issue published online: 14 JUN 2012
- Article first published online: 18 MAY 2012
- Accepted manuscript online: 2 MAY 2012 06:55AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 24 APR 2012
- Israel Science Foundation (ISF)
- Association Francaise contre les Myopathies (AFM)
- DFG. Grant Number: SFB 488
- 1999. Small GTPases and regulation of cadherin dependent cell-cell adhesion. Mol Pathol 52: 197–202. .
- 1997. The small GTPases Rho and Rac are required for the establishment of cadherin-dependent cell-cell contacts. J Cell Biol 137: 1421–1431. , , , .
- 2007. Regulation of XSnail2 expression by Rho GTPases. Dev Dyn 236: 2555–2566. , , , , , .
- 2002. Association between the cell cycle and neural crest delamination through specific regulation of G1/S transition. Dev. Cell 3: 383–395. , .
- 2004. Canonical Wnt activity regulates trunk neural crest delamination linking BMP/noggin signaling with G1/S transition. Development 131: 5327–5339. , , , .
- 2008a. Directional cell migration in vivo: Wnt at the crest. Cell Adh Migr 2: 240–242. , , .
- 2008b. Contact inhibition of locomotion in vivo controls neural crest directional migration. Nature 456: 957–961. , , , , , , , .
- 2011. Balanced Rac1 and RhoA activities regulate cell shape and drive invagination morphogenesis in epithelia. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 108: 18289–18294. , , , .
- 2007. A critical role for Cadherin6B in regulating avian neural crest emigration. Dev Biol 312: 533–544. , , .
- 2005. Essential role of non-canonical Wnt signalling in neural crest migration. Development 132: 2587–2597. , , , , .
- 2006. Neural crest delamination and migration: integrating regulations of cell interactions, locomotion, survival and fate. Adv Exp Med Biol 589: 45–77. .
- 1995. Epithelium-mesenchyme transition during neural crest development. Acta Anat Basel 154: 63–78. , , , .
- 1992. Descriptive and experimental analysis of the dispersion of neural crest cells along the dorsolateral path and their entry into ectoderm in the chick embryo. Dev Biol 151: 251–272. , , .
- 2002. Rho GTPases in cell biology. Nature 420: 629–635. , .
- 2009. Stage-specific control of neural crest stem cell proliferation by the small rho GTPases Cdc42 and Rac1. Cell Stem Cell 4: 236–247. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. p120 catenin affects cell motility via modulation of activity of Rho-family GTPases: a link between cell-cell contact formation and regulation of cell locomotion. J Cell Sci 114: 695–707. , , , .
- 2008. A negative modulatory role for Rho and Rho-associated kinase signaling in delamination of neural crest cells. Neural Dev 3: 27. , , .
- 2011. Rho protein crosstalk: another social network? Trends Cell Biol 21: 718–726. , , .
- 1999. Rho GTPases and the actin cytoskeleton. Science 279: 509–514. .
- 2003. Current progress in neural crest cell motility and migration and future prospects for the zebrafish model system. Dev Dyn 228: 497–513. , .
- 2005. Early stages of neural crest ontogeny: formation and regulation of cell delamination. Int J Dev Biol 49: 105–116. , .
- 2011. Loss of RhoA in neural progenitor cells causes the disruption of adherens junctions and hyperproliferation. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 108: 7607–7612. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Evolutionary conservation of cell migration genes: from nematode neurons to vertebrate neural crest. Genes Dev 21: 391–396. , , , .
- 2002. Induction of the neural crest: a multigene process. Nat Rev Genet 3: 453–461. , .
- 2000. Localized Rac activation dynamics visualized in living cells. Science 290: 333–337. , , , , , .
- 2010a. The dorsal neural tube: a dynamic setting for cell fate decisions. Dev Neurobiol 70: 796–812. , , .
- 2010b. Evidence for a dynamic spatiotemporal fate map and early fate restrictions of premigratory avian neural crest. Development 137: 585–595. , , , .
- 2010. Neural crest migration: patterns, phases and signals. Dev Biol 344: 566–568. , .
- 2011. Analysis of the myosin-II-responsive focal adhesion proteome reveals a role for beta-Pix in negative regulation of focal adhesion maturation. Nat Cell Biol 13: 383–393. , , , , .
- 2008. Molecular analysis of neural crest migration. Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci 363: 1349–1362. , .
- 1999. The neural crest. New York: Cambridge University Press. , .
- 2011. Rac1 drives melanoblast organization during mouse development by orchestrating pseudopod-driven motility and cell-cycle progression. Dev Cell 21: 722–734. , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Cell movements during vertebrate development: integrated tissue behaviour versus individual cell migration. Curr Opin Genet Dev 11: 464–469. , .
- 2008. Directional migration of neural crest cells in vivo is regulated by Syndecan-4/Rac1 and non-canonical Wnt signaling/RhoA. Development 135: 1771–1780. , , , , , , , .
- 2011. Neural crest cell communication involves an exchange of cytoplasmic material through cellular bridges revealed by photoconversion of KikGR. Dev Dyn 240: 1391–1401. , , , .
- 2005. How to become neural crest: from segregation to delamination. Semin Cell Dev Biol 16: 655–662. , , .
- 1995. Neural crest cell-cell adhesion controlled by sequential and subpopulation-specific expression of novel cadherins. Development 121: 1321–1332. , .
- 1998. Neural crest emigration from the neural tube depends on regulated cadherin expression. Development 125: 2963–2971. , .
- 2000. Neural crest cell outgrowth cultures and the analysis of cell migration. Methods Mol Biol 137: 201–211. , .
- 2000. p120 catenin regulates the actin cytoskeleton via Rho family GTPases. J Cell Biol 150: 567–580. , , , .
- 2006. FilGAP, a Rho- and ROCK-regulated GAP for Rac binds filamin A to control actin remodelling. Nat Cell Biol 8: 803–814. , , .
- 2005. A Rac switch regulates random versus directionally persistent cell migration. J Cell Biol 170: 793–802. , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Early specification of sensory neuron fate revealed by expression and function of neurogenins in the chick embryo. Development 126: 1715–1728. , , .
- 2006. Rho GTPases and actin dynamics in membrane protrusions and vesicle trafficking. Trends Cell Biol 16: 522–529. .
- 1992. Distinct patterns of actin organization regulated by the small GTP-binding proteins Rac and Rho. Cold Spring Harb Symp Quant Biol 57: 661–671. , .
- 2006. Rac inhibits thrombin-induced Rho activation: evidence of a Pak-dependent GTPase crosstalk. J Mol Signal 1: 8. , , , .
- 1999. Interplay between Rac and Rho in the control of substrate contact dynamics. Curr Biol 9: 640–648. , , .
- 2004. Leaving the neighborhood: molecular mechanisms involved during epithelial-mesenchymal transition. BioEssays 23: 912–923. .
- 1999. Regulation of the onset of neural crest migration by coordinated activity of BMP4 and Noggin in the dorsal neural tube. Development 126: 4749–4762. , .
- 2000. Inhibition of noggin expression in the dorsal neural tube by somitogenesis: a mechanism for coordinating the timing of neural crest emigration. Development 127: 4845–4854. , .
- 2002. Localized BMP4-noggin interactions generate the dynamic patterning of noggin expression in somites. Dev Biol 246: 311–328. , .
- 2007. Antagonistic roles of full-length N-cadherin and its soluble BMP cleavage product in neural crest delamination. Development 134: 491–501. , , .
- 2010. Integrating chemotaxis and contact-inhibition during collective cell migration: Small GTPases at work. Small Gtpases 1: 113–117. , .
- 2007. Ets-1 confers cranial features on neural crest delamination. PLoS ONE 2: e1142. , , .
- 2010. Collective chemotaxis requires contact-dependent cell polarity. Dev Cell 19: 39–53. , , , , , , .
- 2009. Epithelial-mesenchymal transitions in development and disease. Cell 139: 871–890. , , , .
- 2008. The making of a melanocyte: the specification of melanoblasts from the neural crest. Pigment Cell Melanoma Res 21: 598–610. , .
- 2002. Role of Rho family GTPases in epithelial morphogenesis. Genes Dev 16: 1032–1054. , .
- 2007. SnapShot: Rho Family GTPases. Cell 129: 1430. , .
- 2007. Tet-on inducible system combined with in ovo electroporation dissects multiple roles of genes in somitogenesis of chicken embryos. Dev Biol 305: 625–636. , , , , , , .
- 2004. Rho-family GTPases: it's not only Rac and Rho (and I like it). J Cell Sci 117: 1301–1312. , .
- 2004. Rho localization in cells and tissues. Exp Cell Res 295: 300–314. , , .