Patterns & Phenotypes
Neural tube defects by NUAK1 and NUAK2 double mutation
Article first published online: 22 JUN 2012
Copyright © 2012 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Volume 241, Issue 8, pages 1350–1364, August 2012
How to Cite
Ohmura, T., Shioi, G., Hirano, M. and Aizawa, S. (2012), Neural tube defects by NUAK1 and NUAK2 double mutation. Dev. Dyn., 241: 1350–1364. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.23816
- Issue published online: 17 JUL 2012
- Article first published online: 22 JUN 2012
- Accepted manuscript online: 11 JUN 2012 10:51AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 3 JUN 2012
- Japan Society for the Promotion of Science. Grant Number: 23247037
- 1999. Perlecan is essential for cartilage and cephalic development. Nat Genet 23: 354–358. , , , , .
- 1997. Cerberus-like is a secreted factor with neutralizing activity expressed in the anterior primitive endoderm of the mouse gastrula. Mech Dev 68: 45–57. , , , , , , .
- 2000. The adhesion signaling molecule p190 RhoGAP is required for morphogenetic processes in neural development. Development 127: 4891–4903. , , , , , , , .
- 1995. twist is required in head mesenchyme for cranial neural tube morphogenesis. Genes Dev 9: 686–699. , .
- 2001. Towards a cellular and molecular understanding of neurulation. Dev Dyn 221: 117–145. , .
- 2003. The genetic basis of mammalian neurulation. Nat Rev Genet 4: 784–793. , , .
- 2003. Mutation of Celsr1 disrupts planar polarity of inner ear hair cells and causes severe neural tube defects in the mouse. Curr Biol 13: 1129–1133. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1990. Chromosomal localization of seven members of the murine TGF-beta superfamily suggests close linkage to several morphogenetic mutant loci. Genomics 6: 505–520. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1993. Sonic hedgehog, a member of a family of putative signaling molecules, is implicated in the regulation of CNS polarity. Cell 75: 1417–1430. , , , , , , .
- 2000. Dorsal and lateral fates in the mouse neural tube require the cell-autonomous activity of the open brain gene. Dev Biol 227: 648–660. , .
- 2001. Rab23 is an essential negative regulator of the mouse Sonic hedgehog signalling pathway. Nature 412: 194–198. , , .
- 2011. Bone morphogenetic proteins regulate neural tube closure by interacting with the apicobasal polarity pathway. Development 138: 3179–3188. , , , .
- 1997. Heart and neural tube defects in transgenic mice overexpressing the Cx43 gap junction gene. Development 124: 1281–1292. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Failure of neural tube closure in the loop-tail (Lp) mutant mouse: analysis of the embryonic mechanism. Brain Res Dev Brain Res 102: 217–224. , .
- 1996. Cell adhesion: the molecular basis of tissue architecture and morphogenesis. Cell 84: 345–357. .
- 1994. Open brain, a new mouse mutant with severe neural tube defects, shows altered gene expression patterns in the developing spinal cord. Development 120: 3119–3130. , , , .
- 2002. Dishevelled 2 is essential for cardiac outflow tract development, somite segmentation and neural tube closure. Development 129: 5827–5838. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Mouse mutants with neural tube closure defects and their role in understanding human neural tube defects. Birth Defects Res A Clin Mol Teratol 79: 187–210. , .
- 2010. An update to the list of mouse mutants with neural tube closure defects and advances toward a complete genetic perspective of neural tube closure. Birth Defects Res A Clin Mol Teratol 88: 653–669. , .
- 2005. Shroom regulates epithelial cell shape via the apical positioning of an actomyosin network. J Cell Sci 118: 5191–5203. .
- 1999. Shroom, a PDZ domain-containing actin-binding protein, is required for neural tube morphogenesis in mice. Cell 99: 485–497. , .
- 1989. A new family of mouse homeo box-containing genes: molecular structure, chromosomal location, and developmental expression of Hox-7.1. Genes Dev 3: 26–37. , , , , , , , , .
- 2006. A new serine/threonine protein kinase, Omphk1, essential to ventral body wall formation. Dev Dyn 235: 2229–2237. , , , , , , .
- 2011. A new role of NUAK1: directly phosphorylating p53 and regulating cell proliferation. Oncogene 30: 2933–2942. , , , , , .
- 2002. Protein kinase A deficiency causes axially localized neural tube defects in mice. J Biol Chem 277: 19889–19896. , , .
- 1993. A mouse model of greig cephalopolysyndactyly syndrome: the extra-toesJ mutation contains an intragenic deletion of the Gli3 gene. Nat Genet 3: 241–246. , .
- 2005. Rho GTPases: biochemistry and biology. Annu Rev Cell Dev Biol 21: 247–269. , .
- 2001. Ltap, a mammalian homolog of Drosophila Strabismus/Van Gogh, is altered in the mouse neural tube mutant Loop-tail. Nat Genet 28: 251–255. , , , , , .
- 1997. Cis-acting elements conserved between mouse and pufferfish Otx2 genes govern the expression in mesencephalic neural crest cells. Development 124: 3929–3941. , , , , , .
- 2000. Visceral endoderm mediates forebrain development by suppressing posteriorizing signals. Dev Biol 225: 304–321. , , , , , .
- 2008. Apical accumulation of Rho in the neural plate is important for neural plate cell shape change and neural tube formation. Mol Biol Cell 19: 2289–2299. , , , .
- 2008. A novel regulatory mechanism of myosin light chain phosphorylation via binding of 14–3-3 to myosin phosphatase. Mol Biol Cell 19: 1062–1071. , .
- 2004. ARK5 expression in colorectal cancer and its implications for tumor progression. Am J Pathol 164: 987–995. , , , , , , .
- 1999. Mena is required for neurulation and commissure formation. Neuron 22: 313–325. , , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Shroom family proteins regulate gamma-tubulin distribution and microtubule architecture during epithelial cell shape change. Development 134: 1431–1441. , , .
- 2004. Identification of SNF1/AMP kinase-related kinase as an NF-kappaB-regulated anti-apoptotic kinase involved in CD95-induced motility and invasiveness. J Biol Chem 279: 46742–46747. , , , .
- 2004. LKB1 is a master kinase that activates 13 kinases of the AMPK subfamily, including MARK/PAR-1. EMBO J 23: 833–843. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. The protein kinase complement of the human genome. Science 298: 1912–1934. , , , , .
- 1998. Noggin-mediated antagonism of BMP signaling is required for growth and patterning of the neural tube and somite. Genes Dev 12: 1438–1452. , , , , , .
- 1998. Roles for laminin in embryogenesis: exencephaly, syndactyly, and placentopathy in mice lacking the laminin alpha5 chain. J Cell Biol 143: 1713–1723. , , .
- 2003. Identification of Vangl2 and Scrb1 as planar polarity genes in mammals. Nature 423: 173–177. , , , , , .
- 2010. Nectin-2 and N-cadherin interact through extracellular domains and induce apical accumulation of F-actin in apical constriction of Xenopus neural tube morphogenesis. Development 137: 1315–1325. , , , , , .
- 2000. Zic2 regulates the kinetics of neurulation. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 97: 1618–1623. , , , , , , .
- 2011. AMP kinase-related kinase NUAK2 affects tumor growth, migration, and clinical outcome of human melanoma. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 108: 6597–6602. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Shroom3-mediated recruitment of Rho kinases to the apical cell junctions regulates epithelial and neuroepithelial planar remodeling. Development 135: 1493–1502. , .
- 2003. Conserved microtubule-actin interactions in cell movement and morphogenesis. Nat Cell Biol 5: 599–609. , , , , , .
- 1991. Expression of two members of the Wnt family during mouse development–restricted temporal and spatial patterns in the developing neural tube. Genes Dev 5: 381–388. , .
- 1984. Quantitative analyses of changes in cell shapes during bending of the avian neural plate. Dev Biol 105: 257–272. , .
- 1988. Role of cell-cycle in regulating neuroepithelial cell shape during bending of the chick neural plate. Cell Tissue Res 252: 491–500. , .
- 1997. Neurulation: coming to closure. Trends Neurosci 20: 510–517. , .
- 2003a. ARK5 suppresses the cell death induced by nutrient starvation and death receptors via inhibition of caspase 8 activation, but not by chemotherapeutic agents or UV irradiation. Oncogene 22: 6177–6182. , , , , , .
- 2003b. Identification of a novel protein kinase mediating Akt survival signaling to the ATM protein. J Biol Chem 278: 48–53. , , , , , , .
- 2003c. Induction of cell-cell detachment during glucose starvation through F-actin conversion by SNARK, the fourth member of the AMP-activated protein kinase catalytic subunit family. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 311: 156–161. , , , , , .
- 2004a. Regulation of caspase-6 and FLIP by the AMPK family member ARK5. Oncogene 23: 7067–7075. , , , , , , , .
- 2004b. ARK5 is a tumor invasion-associated factor downstream of Akt signaling. Mol Cell Biol 24: 3526–3535. , , , , , .
- 2006. NDR2 acts as the upstream kinase of ARK5 during insulin-like growth factor-1 signaling. J Biol Chem 281: 13915–13921. , , .
- 2010. MID1 and MID2 are required for Xenopus neural tube closure through the regulation of microtubule organization. Development 137: 2329–2339. , , , , .
- 2011. An association between NUAK2 and MRIP reveals a novel mechanism for regulation of actin stress fibers. J Cell Sci 124: 384–393. , , , , , .
- 2009. Non-muscle myosin II takes centre stage in cell adhesion and migration. Nat Rev Mol Cell Biol 10: 778–790. , , , .
- 2002. Neural tube closure requires Dishevelled-dependent convergent extension of the midline. Development 129: 5815–5825. , .
- 2006. Dishevelled genes mediate a conserved mammalian PCP pathway to regulate convergent extension during neurulation. Development 133: 1767–1778. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1993. Detection of messenger RNA by in situ hybridization to tissue sections and whole mounts. Methods Enzymol 225: 361–373. , .
- 1996. Neural tube defects and abnormal brain development in F52-deficient mice. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 93: 2110–2115. , , , .
- 1998. Vinculin knockout results in heart and brain defects during embryonic development. Development 125: 327–337. , , .
- 1993. A novel ES cell line, TT2, with high germline-differentiating potency. Anal Biochem 214: 70–76. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Bending of the neural plate during mouse spinal neurulation is independent of actin microfilaments. Dev Dyn 215: 273–283. , .
- 2002. Sonic hedgehog and the molecular regulation of mouse neural tube closure. Development 129: 2507–2517. , , , .
- 2007. Neural plate morphogenesis during mouse neurulation is regulated by antagonism of Bmp signalling. Development 134: 3203–3211. , , , , , , .
- 2004. Rho localization in cells and tissues. Exp Cell Res 295: 300–314. , , .
- 2010. New roles for the LKB1-NUAK pathway in controlling myosin phosphatase complexes and cell adhesion. Sci Signal 3: ra25. , , , , , , , .
- 1996. Prenatal folic acid treatment suppresses acrania and meroanencephaly in mice mutant for the Cart1 homeobox gene. Nat Genet 13: 275–283. , , .