The origin of the stapes and relationship to the otic capsule and oval window
Article first published online: 2 AUG 2012
Copyright © 2012 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Volume 241, Issue 9, pages 1396–1404, September 2012
How to Cite
Thompson, H., Ohazama, A., Sharpe, P. T. and Tucker, A. S. (2012), The origin of the stapes and relationship to the otic capsule and oval window. Dev. Dyn., 241: 1396–1404. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.23831
- Issue published online: 22 AUG 2012
- Article first published online: 2 AUG 2012
- Accepted manuscript online: 9 JUL 2012 03:41PM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 1 JUL 2012
- Medical Research Council. Grant Number: G1001232
- 1949. The temporal bone and ear. Springfield, IL: Charles C Thomas. , .
- 2000. Imaging and clinical evaluation of isolated atresia of the oval window. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 21: 171–174. , , , .
- 1942. Stapes, fissula ante fenestram, and associated structures in man. Arch Otolaryngol 36: 891–925. , .
- 2000. Fate of the mammalian cranial neural crest during tooth and mandibular morphogenesis. Development 127: 1671–1679. , , , , , , , , .
- 1989. Discovery of the earliest-known tetrapod stapes. Nature 342: 425–427. .
- 1993. The triple origin of skull in higher vertebrates: a study in quail-chick chimeras. Development 117: 409–429. , , .
- 1998. Modification of gene activity in mouse embryos in utero by a tamoxifen-inducible form of Cre recombinase. Curr Biol 8: 1323–1326. , , , , .
- 1968. Congenital absence of the oval window. Acta Otolaryngol 66: 320–332. .
- 1992. Transforming growth factor beta 1 is an epithelial-derived signal peptide that influences otic capsule formation. Dev Biol 153: 324–336. , , , , .
- 1994. Induction of chondrogenesis: requirement for synergistic interaction of basic fibroblast growth factor and transforming growth factor-beta. Development 120: 415–424. , , , , , , .
- 1993. Hoxa-2 mutant mice exhibit homeotic transformation of skeletal elements derived from cranial neural crest. Cell 75: 1317–1331. , , , .
- 1962. Branchial sources of the auditory ossicles in man. II. Observations of embryonic stages from 7 mm. to 28 mm. (CR length). Arch Otolaryngol 76: 200–215. , , .
- 2005. The RNaseIII enzyme Dicer is required for morphogenesis but not patterning of the vertebrate limb. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 102: 10898–10903. , , , , .
- 2010. Wnt1-cre-mediated conditional loss of Dicer results in malformation of the midbrain and cerebellum and failure of neural crest and dopaminergic differentiation in mice. J Mol Cell Biol 2: 152–163. , , , , .
- 2008. Noggin heterozygous mice: an animal model for congenital conductive hearing loss in humans. Hum Mol Genet 17: 844–853. , .
- 1977. Congenital absence of the oval window. Trans Sect Otolaryngol Am Acad Ophthalmol Otolaryngol 84: ORL904–914. .
- 1978. A histological study of the development of the avian middle ear and tympanum. Anat Rec 190: 177–199. , .
- 2002. Tissue origins and interactions in the mammalian skull vault. Dev Biol 241: 106–116. , , , , .
- 1998. Hoxa-2 restricts the chondrogenic domain and inhibits bone formation during development of the branchial area. Development 125: 2587–2597. , , , .
- 2000. BMP signaling is essential for development of skeletogenic and neurogenic cranial neural crest. Development 127: 1095–1104. , , , .
- 1996. Rhombencephalic neural crest segmentation is preserved throughout craniofacial ontogeny. Development 122: 3229–3242. , .
- 1990. Congenital absence of the oval window. Laryngoscope 100: 37–40. .
- 1978. Participation of neural crest-derived cells in the genesis of the skull in birds. J Embryol Exp Morphol 47: 17–37. .
- 1975. Mesenchymal derivatives of the neural crest: analysis of chimaeric quail and chick embryos. J Embryol Exp Morphol 34: 125–154. , .
- 2002. Sonic hedgehog regulates otic capsule chondrogenesis and inner ear development in the mouse embryo. Dev Biol 248: 240–250. , , , , , , .
- 2003. Bone morphogenetic protein 4 (BMP4): a regulator of capsule chondrogenesis in the developing mouse inner ear. Dev Dyn 226: 427–438. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Ectopic stapes: a case report with embryologic correlations. Surg Radiol Anat 25: 342–344. , , .
- 1926. Ossification centers in the petrosal bone of the mouse. Anat Rec 33: 59–68. .
- 1997. Retinoic acid disturbs mouse middle ear development in a stage-dependent fashion. Dev Biol 184: 175–186. .
- 1978. Histological development of stapes footplate in human embryos. Acta Med Okayama 32: 109–117. , , , , .
- 1986. Epithelial-mesenchymal tissue interactions guiding otic capsule formation: the role of the otocyst. J Embryol Exp Morphol 97: 1–24. , .
- 1983. Cell determination boundaries as organizing regions for secondary embryonic fields. Dev Biol 96: 375–385. .
- 2005. Growth of the normal skull vault and its alteration in craniosynostosis: insights from human genetics and experimental studies. J Anat 207: 637–653. , .
- 1983. The role of the neural crest in patterning of avian cranial skeletal, connective, and muscle tissues. Dev Biol 96: 144–165. .
- 1986. Origins and patterning of craniofacial mesenchymal tissues. J Craniofac Genet Dev Biol Suppl 2: 15–31. .
- 1986. The developing ear: tissue origins and interactions. In: Ruben TR, Van de Water, editors. The biology of change in otolaryngology. Amsterdam: Elsevier/North Holland. p 15–46. , .
- 2005. Second branchial arch lineages of the middle ear of wild-type and Hoxa2 mutant mice. Dev Dyn 234: 124–131. .
- 2009. Congenital stapes anomalies with normal eardrum. Clin Exp Otorhinolaryngol 2: 33–38. , , , , , .
- 1917. The role of the auditory sensory epithelium in the formation of the stapedial plate. J Exp Zool 23: 85–108. .
- 1993. A homeotic transformation is generated in the rostral branchial region of the head by disruption of Hoxa-2, which acts as a selector gene. Cell 75: 1333–1349. , , , , , .
- 2005. Development of the stapes and associated structures in human embryos. J Anat 207: 165–173. .
- 1999. MesP1 is expressed in the heart precursor cells and required for the formation of a single heart tube. Development 126: 3437–3447. , , , , , .
- 1904. The middle ear and columella of birds. Q J Microsc Sci 48: 11–22. .
- 1999. Generalized lacZ expression with the ROSA26 Cre reporter strain. Nat Genet 21: 70–71. .
- 1963. Experimental studies on the origin of the cartilage of the auditory capsule and columella in ambystoma. J Embryol Exp Morphol 11: 459–473. .
- 1965. Experimental studies on the columella-capsular interrelationship in the turtle Chelydra serpentina. J Embryol Exp Morphol 14: 265–272. .
- 2010. Analysis of chick (Gallus gallus) middle ear columella formation. BMC Dev Biol 10: 16. , , , .
- 2010. Dicer is required for survival of differentiating neural crest cells. Dev Biol 340: 459–467. , , , , .
- 2000. Congenital absence of the oval window: radiologic diagnosis and associated anomalies. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 21: 322–327. , , .
- 2012. Induction of the chick columella and its integration with the inner ear. Dev Dyn 241: 1104–1110. , , , , , , .