Patterns & Phenotypes
Laminin and integrin expression in the ventral ectodermal ridge of the mouse embryo: Implications for regulation of BMP signalling
Article first published online: 4 SEP 2012
Copyright © 2012 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Volume 241, Issue 11, pages 1808–1815, November 2012
How to Cite
Lopez-Escobar, B., De Felipe, B., Sanchez-Alcazar, J. A., Sasaki, T., Copp, A. J. and Ybot-Gonzalez, P. (2012), Laminin and integrin expression in the ventral ectodermal ridge of the mouse embryo: Implications for regulation of BMP signalling. Dev. Dyn., 241: 1808–1815. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.23846
- Issue published online: 17 OCT 2012
- Article first published online: 4 SEP 2012
- Accepted manuscript online: 21 AUG 2012 09:21AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 3 AUG 2012
- Institute of Child Health, University College London, de Instituto de Salud Carlos III project. Grant Numbers: CP08/00111, PS09/00050
- la Consejería de Salud de la Junta de Andalucia. Grant Number: PI-0438-2010
- Wellcome Trust
- 2003. The molecular nature of the zebrafish tail organizer. Nature 424: 448–452. , , .
- 2006. Dystroglycan is selectively cleaved at the parenchymal basement membrane at sites of leukocyte extravasation in experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis. J Exp Med 203: 1007–1019. , , , , , , .
- 2002. Signal transduction by the TGF-beta superfamily. Science 296: 1646–1647. , .
- 2005. A simplified laminin nomenclature. Matrix Biol 24: 326–332. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2010. Integrins. Cell Tissue Res 339: 269–280. , , .
- 2001. The role of BMP signaling in outgrowth and patterning of the Xenopus tail bud. Dev Biol 238: 303–314. , , .
- 2004. Drosophila Dpp morphogen movement is independent of dynamin-mediated endocytosis but regulated by the glypican members of heparan sulfate proteoglycans. Cell 119: 231–244. , , , , , , .
- 2003. Laminin alpha5 chain is required for intestinal smooth muscle development. Dev Biol 260: 376–390. , , , , , , .
- 2000. Form and function: the laminin family of heterotrimers. Dev Dyn 218: 213–234. , .
- 2011. Regional differences in the expression of laminin isoforms during mouse neural tube development. Matrix Biol 30: 301–309. , , , , , , .
- 1995. alpha 3A beta 1 integrin localizes to focal contacts in response to diverse extracellular matrix proteins. J Cell Sci 108: 2321–2336. , , .
- 2011. Laminins, via heparan sulfate proteoglycans, participate in zebrafish myotome morphogenesis by modulating the pattern of Bmp responsiveness. Development 138: 97–106. , , .
- 2009. The entire zebrafish blastula-gastrula margin acts as an organizer dependent on the ratio of Nodal to BMP activity. Development 136: 3811–3819. , , .
- 2005. Laminin gamma3 chain binds to nidogen and is located in murine basement membranes. J Biol Chem 280: 22146–22153. , , , , .
- 2000. Fate and function of the ventral ectodermal ridge during mouse tail development. Development 127: 2113–2123. , , .
- 1956. A ventral ectodermal ridge of the tail in mouse embryos. Nature 177: 787–788. .
- 2000. RhoB is expressed in migrating neural crest and endocardial cushions of the developing mouse embryo. Mech Dev 95: 211–214. , , .
- 1995. Antibodies against domain E3 of laminin-1 and integrin alpha 6 subunit perturb branching epithelial morphogenesis of submandibular gland, but by different modes. J Cell Biol 129: 521–534. , , , , , .
- 1998. Expression and function of FGFs-4, -8, and -9 suggest functional redundancy and repetitive use as epithelial signals during tooth morphogenesis. Dev Dyn 211: 256–268. , .
- 2005. Membrane-type matrix metalloproteinase-1 (MT1-MMP) is a processing enzyme for human laminin gamma 2 chain. J Biol Chem 280: 88–93. , , , , .
- 2005. Alphavbeta integrins play an essential role in BMP-2 induction of osteoblast differentiation. J Bone Miner Res 20: 330–340. , .
- 1997. Msx2 is a transcriptional regulator in the BMP4-mediated programmed cell death pathway. Dev Biol 186: 127–138. , , .
- 1997. Bone morphogenetic proteins in the nervous system. Trends Neurosci 20: 309–317. , , , .
- 2008. Laminins and their roles in mammals. Microsc Res Tech 71: 349–356. .
- 2004. Laminin functions in tissue morphogenesis. Annu Rev Cell Dev Biol 20: 255–284. , .
- 1997. The laminin alpha chains: expression, developmental transitions, and chromosomal locations of alpha1-5, identification of heterotrimeric laminins 8-11, and cloning of a novel alpha3 isoform. J Cell Biol 137: 685–701. , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Sensing the environment: a historical perspective on integrin signal transduction. Nat Cell Biol 4: E83–90. , .
- 1995. Aberrant differentiation of neuromuscular junctions in mice lacking s-laminin/laminin beta 2. Nature 374: 258–262. , , , , .
- 2007. Cessation of gastrulation is mediated by suppression of epithelial-mesenchymal transition at the ventral ectodermal ridge. Development 134: 4315–4324. , , , , .
- 1997. Distribution and function of laminins in the neuromuscular system of developing, adult, and mutant mice. J Cell Biol 139: 1507–1521. , , , .
- 2010. Bone morphogenetic protein and growth differentiation factor cytokine families and their protein antagonists. Biochem J 429: 1–12. , .
- 2001. Short arm region of laminin-5 gamma2 chain: structure, mechanism of processing and binding to heparin and proteins. J Mol Biol 314: 751–763. , , , , , , .
- 2007. Biological function of laminin-5 and pathogenic impact of its deficiency. Eur J Cell Biol 86: 701–717. , , .
- 1995. Expression of laminin isoforms in mouse myogenic cells in vitro and in vivo. J Cell Sci 108: 3795–3805. , .
- 1999. Regulation of the onset of neural crest migration by coordinated activity of BMP4 and Noggin in the dorsal neural tube. Development 126: 4749–4762. , .
- 2001. Cell adhesion and migration properties of beta 2-integrin negative polymorphonuclear granulocytes on defined extracellular matrix molecules. Relevance for leukocyte extravasation. J Biol Chem 276: 18878–18887. , , , , .
- 1990. Recognition of the laminin E8 cell-binding site by an integrin possessing the alpha 6 subunit is essential for epithelial polarization in developing kidney tubules. J Cell Biol 111: 1265–1273. , , , , .
- 1992. Monoclonal antibodies against laminin A chain fragment E3 and their effects on binding to cells and proteoglycan and on kidney development. Exp Cell Res 201: 137–144. , , , , , .
- 1997. Developmental regulation of the laminin alpha5 chain suggests a role in epithelial and endothelial cell maturation. Dev Biol 189: 285–300. , , , , , .
- 1997. Xenopus msx1 mediates epidermal induction and neural inhibition by BMP4. Development 124: 3037–3044. , , .
- 2000. Structural and functional analysis of the recombinant G domain of the laminin alpha4 chain and its proteolytic processing in tissues. J Biol Chem 275: 35192–35199. , , , , , , .
- 2000. Laminins: structure and genetic regulation. Microsc Res Tech 51: 214–227. , , , .
- 2008. Bridging structure with function: structural, regulatory, and developmental role of laminins. Int J Biochem Cell Biol 40: 199–214. , .
- 1999. alpha6 Integrin is regulated with lens cell differentiation by linkage to the cytoskeleton and isoform switching. Dev Biol 210: 497–511. , .
- 2008. Type IV collagens regulate BMP signalling in Drosophila. Nature 455: 72–77. , , , .
- 2005. Expression pattern of glypican-4 suggests multiple roles during mouse development. Dev Dyn 233: 1013–1017. , , .
- 2007. Neural plate morphogenesis during mouse neurulation is regulated by antagonism of Bmp signalling. Development 134: 3203–3211. , , , , , , .
- 1997. The alpha chain of laminin-1 is independently secreted and drives secretion of its beta- and gamma-chain partners. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 94: 10189–10194. , , , , , , .
- 2004. Basement membrane assembly, stability and activities observed through a developmental lens. Matrix Biol 22: 521–538. , , .