Identification of E2F target genes that are rate limiting for dE2F1-dependent cell proliferation
Version of Record online: 17 SEP 2012
Copyright © 2012 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Volume 241, Issue 11, pages 1695–1707, November 2012
How to Cite
Herr, A., Longworth, M., Ji, J.-Y., Korenjak, M., MacAlpine, D. M. and Dyson, N. J. (2012), Identification of E2F target genes that are rate limiting for dE2F1-dependent cell proliferation. Dev. Dyn., 241: 1695–1707. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.23857
- Issue online: 17 OCT 2012
- Version of Record online: 17 SEP 2012
- Accepted manuscript online: 12 SEP 2012 02:37PM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 15 AUG 2012
- NIH. Grant Numbers: HG004279, CA64402, GM53203
- 2001. Cell cycle checkpoint signaling through the ATM and ATR kinases. Genes Dev 15: 2177–2196. .
- 2008. The N-terminal domain of the Drosophila retinoblastoma protein Rbf1 interacts with ORC and associates with chromatin in an E2F independent manner. PLoS One 3: e2831. , , .
- 2000. Salivary gland development in Drosophila melanogaster. Mech Dev 92: 5–17. , , .
- 2005. Replication-dependent destruction of Cdt1 limits DNA replication to a single round per cell cycle in Xenopus egg extracts. Genes Dev 19: 114–126. , .
- 2006. PCNA functions as a molecular platform to trigger Cdt1 destruction and prevent re-replication. Nat Cell Biol 8: 84–90. , .
- 1996. Ectopic E2F expression induces S phase and apoptosis in Drosophila imaginal discs. Genes Dev 10: 1422–1432. , , .
- 1995. The multidomain structure of Orc1p reveals similarity to regulators of DNA replication and transcriptional silencing. Cell 83: 563–568. , , , , .
- 2004. Hitting their targets: an emerging picture of E2F and cell cycle control. Curr Opin Genet Dev 14: 527–532. , .
- 2001. DNA replication control through interaction of E2F-RB and the origin recognition complex. Nat Cell Biol 3: 289–295. , , .
- 2004. E2F target genes: unraveling the biology. Trends Biochem Sci 29: 409–417. , , , .
- 1996. Requirements for dE2F function in proliferating cells and in post-mitotic differentiating cells. Embo J 15: 3676–3683. , , , .
- 2003. Transcriptional repressor functions of Drosophila E2F1 and E2F2 cooperate to inhibit genomic DNA synthesis in ovarian follicle cells. Mol Cell Biol 23: 2123–2134. , , , .
- 2009. Unlocking the secrets of the genome. Nature 459: 927–930. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Distinct and overlapping roles for E2F family members in transcription, proliferation and apoptosis. Curr Mol Med 6: 739–748. , .
- 2003. The “ORC cycle”: a novel pathway for regulating eukaryotic DNA replication. Gene 310: 1–15. .
- 1997. Separable functions of ORC5 in replication initiation and silencing in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Genetics 147: 1053–1062. , .
- 2005. The E2F transcriptional network: old acquaintances with new faces. Oncogene 24: 2810–2826. , .
- 2003. Cell cycle-dependent and cell cycle-independent control of transcription by the Drosophila E2F/RB pathway. Genes Dev 17: 2308–2320. , , , .
- 1994. An E2F dominant negative mutant blocks E1A induced cell cycle progression. Oncogene 9: 2605–2612. , , , , .
- 2000. Suppression of the rbf null mutants by a de2f1 allele that lacks transactivation domain. Development 127: 367–379. .
- 1996. Ectopic expression of dE2F and dDP induces cell proliferation and death in the Drosophila eye. Embo J 15: 3684–3692. , , .
- 1995. Developmental control of the G1 to S transition in Drosophila: cyclin Eis a limiting downstream target of E2F. Genes Dev 9: 1456–1468. , .
- 1995. The transcription factor E2F is required for S phase during Drosophila embryogenesis. Genes Dev 9: 1445–1455. , , , , .
- 1997. Initiation of DNA replication in eukaryotic cells. Annu Rev Cell Dev Biol 13: 293–332. , .
- 1995. The origin recognition complex has essential functions in transcriptional silencing and chromosomal replication. Genes Dev 9: 911–924. , , , .
- 2005. dDP is needed for normal cell proliferation. Mol Cell Biol 25: 3027–3039. , , .
- 2006. An evolutionarily conserved function of proliferating cell nuclear antigen for Cdt1 degradation by the Cul4-Ddb1 ubiquitin ligase in response to DNA damage. J Biol Chem 281: 3753–3756. , .
- 2004. Targeted ubiquitination of CDT1 by the DDB1-CUL4A-ROC1 ligase in response to DNA damage. Nat Cell Biol 6: 1003–1009. , , , .
- 1998. Distinct cytoplasmic and nuclear fractions of Drosophila heterochromatin protein 1: their phosphorylation levels and associations with origin recognition complex proteins. J Cell Biol 142: 307–318. , , , , , .
- 2001. Role for E2F in control of both DNA replication and mitotic functions as revealed from DNA microarray analysis. Mol Cell Biol 21: 4684–4699. , , , , , , .
- 1996. Inhibition of cell proliferation by an RNA ligand that selectively blocks E2F function. Nat Med 2: 1386–1389. , , .
- 2006. A family of diverse Cul4-Ddb1-interacting proteins includes Cdt2, which is required for S phase destruction of the replication factor Cdt1. Mol Cell 23: 709–721. , , , , .
- 1993. Expression of transcription factor E2F1 induces quiescent cells to enter S phase. Nature 365: 349–352. , , , .
- 2005. Transcription factors and DNA replication origin selection. Bioessays 27: 1107–1116. , .
- 1997. The k43 gene, required for chorion gene amplification and diploid cell chromosome replication, encodes the Drosophila homolog of yeast origin recognition complex subunit 2. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 94: 3888–3892. , , , .
- 1997. Cyclin E-induced S phase without activation of the pRb/E2F pathway. Genes Dev 11: 1479–1492. , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Coordination of replication and transcription along a Drosophila chromosome. Genes Dev 18: 3094–3105. , , .
- 2005. Right place, right time, and only once: replication initiation in metazoans. Cell 123: 13–24. , , .
- 2008. E2F1 represses beta-catenin transcription and is antagonized by both pRB and CDK8. Nature 455: 552–556. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. E2Fs regulate the expression of genes involved in differentiation, development, proliferation, and apoptosis. Genes Dev 15: 267–285. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1996. Expression of the HsOrc1 gene, a human ORC1 homolog, is regulated by cell proliferation via the E2F transcription factor. Mol Cell Biol 16: 6977–6984. , , , , , .
- 2008. Global control of cell-cycle transcription by coupled CDK and network oscillators. Nature 453: 944–947. , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Association of the origin recognition complex with heterochromatin and HP1 in higher eukaryotes. Cell 91: 311–323. , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Orc mutants arrest in metaphase with abnormally condensed chromosomes. Development 128: 1697–1707. , .
- 2004. Dynamics of pre-replication complex proteins during the cell division cycle. Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci 359: 7–16. , , , .
- 2010. Human origin recognition complex is essential for HP1 binding to chromatin and heterochromatin organization. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 107: 15093–15098. , , , .
- 2002. E2F integrates cell cycle progression with DNA repair, replication, and G(2)/M checkpoints. Genes Dev 16: 245–256. , , , , , , .
- 1997. Mutations in Drosophila DP and E2F distinguish G1-S progression from an associated transcriptional program. Genes Dev 11: 1999–2011. , , .
- 1995. A potent transrepression domain in the retinoblastoma protein induces a cell cycle arrest when bound to E2F sites. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 92: 11544–11548. , , .
- 2006. PCNA is a cofactor for Cdt1 degradation by CUL4/DDB1-mediated N-terminal ubiquitination. J Biol Chem 281: 6246–6252. , , , , , , .
- 2008. Intrinsic negative cell cycle regulation provided by PIP box- and Cul4Cdt2-mediated destruction of E2f1 during S phase. Dev Cell 15: 890–900. , , , , , , .
- 2001. Transcriptional silencing: replication redux. Curr Biol 11: R816–819. .
- 2002. Gene expression changes in response to E2F1 activation. Nucleic Acids Res 30: 1859–1867. , , , , .
- 2005. Retinoblastoma family 2 is required in vivo for the tissue-specific repression of dE2F2 target genes. Cell Cycle 4: 1272–1280. , , , , , .
- 2005. Inhibition of human Chk1 causes increased initiation of DNA replication, phosphorylation of ATR targets, and DNA breakage. Mol Cell Biol 25: 3553–3562. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. The contribution of E2F-regulated transcription to Drosophila PCNA gene function. Curr Biol 13: 53–58. , , .
- 2002. Isolating human transcription factor targets by coupling chromatin immunoprecipitation and CpG island microarray analysis. Genes Dev 16: 235–244. , , , , .
- 1996. Expression of dominant-negative mutant DP-1 blocks cell cycle progression in G1. Mol Cell Biol 16: 3698–3706. , , , .