Patterns & Phenotypes
Molecular profiling of synovial joints: Use of microarray analysis to identify factors that direct the development of the knee and elbow
Version of Record online: 25 SEP 2012
Copyright © 2012 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Volume 241, Issue 11, pages 1816–1826, November 2012
How to Cite
Pazin, D. E., Gamer, L. W., Cox, K. A. and Rosen, V. (2012), Molecular profiling of synovial joints: Use of microarray analysis to identify factors that direct the development of the knee and elbow. Dev. Dyn., 241: 1816–1826. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.23861
- Issue online: 17 OCT 2012
- Version of Record online: 25 SEP 2012
- Accepted manuscript online: 12 SEP 2012 02:26PM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 20 AUG 2012
- 1997. MLP-deficient mice exhibit a disruption of cardiac cytoarchitectural organization, dilated cardiomyopathy, and heart failure. Cell 88: 393–403. , , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Noggin, cartilage morphogenesis, and joint formation in the mammalian skeleton. Science 280: 1455–1457. , , , .
- 1998. Analysis of Hoxa7/Hoxb7 mutants suggests periodicity in the generation of the different sets of vertebrae. Mech Dev 77: 49–57. , , .
- 2006. Expression patterns of Hox10 paralogous genes during lumbar spinal cord development. Gene Expr Patterns 6: 730–737. , , , , .
- 2003. Developmental expression patterns of Beta-ig (betaIG-H3) and its function as a cell adhesion protein. Mech Dev 120: 851–864. , , , .
- 2009. Overexpression of BMP3 in the developing skeleton alters endochondral bone formation resulting in spontaneous rib fractures. Dev Dyn 238: 2374–2381. , , , .
- 2004. Wnt/beta-catenin signaling is sufficient and necessary for synovial joint formation. Genes Dev 18: 2404–2417. , , , , , .
- 2001. Wnt-14 plays a pivotal role in inducing synovial joint formation in the developing appendicular skeleton. Cell 104: 341–351. , .
- 2010. Tbx4 and tbx5 acting in connective tissue are required for limb muscle and tendon patterning. Dev Cell 18: 148–156. , , , , , , , .
- 1977. An experimental investigation into the early development of the chick elbow joint. J Embryol Exp Morphol 39: 115–127. .
- 2008. Col2a1 lineage tracing reveals that the meniscus of the knee joint has a complex cellular origin. J Anat 213: 531–538. , , .
- 2009. Muscle contraction is necessary to maintain joint progenitor cell fate. Dev Cell 16: 734–743. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. R-Spondin2 is a secreted activator of Wnt/beta-catenin signaling and is required for Xenopus myogenesis. Dev Cell 7: 525–534. , , , , , .
- 2004. Carbonic anhydrase III is not required in the mouse for normal growth, development, and life span. Mol Cell Biol 24: 9942–9947. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2008. A distinct cohort of progenitor cells participates in synovial joint and articular cartilage formation during mouse limb skeletogenesis. Dev Biol 316: 62–73. , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2010. Pitx2 defines alternate pathways acting through MyoD during limb and somitic myogenesis. Development 137: 3847–3856. , , , .
- 1998. Developmental expression patterns of mouse sFRP genes encoding members of the secreted frizzled related protein family. Mech Dev 75: 29–42. , , .
- 2011. The knee meniscus: structure-function, pathophysiology, current repair techniques, and prospects for regeneration. Biomaterials 32: 7411–7431. , , .
- 1997. Regulation of skeletal muscle mass in mice by a new TGF-beta superfamily member. Nature 387: 83–90. , , .
- 2005. Tbx5 and Tbx4 are not sufficient to determine limb-specific morphologies but have common roles in initiating limb outgrowth. Dev Cell 8: 75–84. , , .
- 2008. Brachy-syndactyly caused by loss of Sfrp2 function. J Cell Physiol 217: 127–137. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2011. Synovial joint formation requires local Ext1 expression and heparan sulfate production in developing mouse embryo limbs and spine. Dev Biol 351: 70–81. , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Dynamic expression of R-spondin family genes in mouse development. Gene Expr Patterns 7: 306–312. , , .
- 1996. Analysis of Hox gene expression in the chick limb bud. Development 122: 1449–1466. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Short-term rigid and flaccid paralyses diminish growth of embryonic chick limbs and abrogate joint cavity formation but differentially preserve pre-cavitated joints. J Musculoskelet Neuronal Interact 2: 448–456. , , , , .
- 1994. The murine Hoxc cluster contains five neighboring AbdB-related Hox genes that show unique spatially coordinated expression in posterior embryonic subregions. Mech Dev 47: 253–260. , , , .
- 2009. Recruitment and maintenance of tendon progenitors by TGFbeta signaling are essential for tendon formation. Development 136: 1351–1361. , , , , , .
- 2000. Genomic characterization and embryonic expression of the mouse Bigh3 (Tgfbi) gene. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 274: 267–274. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Deletion of Tgfbr2 in Prx1-cre expressing mesenchyme results in defects in development of the long bones and joints. Dev Biol 310: 304–316. , .
- 2010. Dual-specificity phosphatase 26 is a novel p53 phosphatase and inhibits p53 tumor suppressor functions in human neuroblastoma. Oncogene 29: 4938–4946. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Expression pattern of the homeodomain transcription factor Pitx2 during muscle development. Gene Expr Patterns 7: 441–451. , , .
- 1992. cDNA cloning and sequence analysis of beta ig-h3, a novel gene induced in a human adenocarcinoma cell line after treatment with transforming growth factor-beta. DNA Cell Biol 11: 511–522. , , , , , .
- 2010. Sox9-expressing precursors are the cellular origin of the cruciate ligament of the knee joint and the limb tendons. Genesis 48: 635–644. , , , , , .
- 2010. Molecular profiling of the developing mouse axial skeleton: a role for Tgfbr2 in the development of the intervertebral disc. BMC Dev Biol 10: 29. , , , .
- 1997. The PDGF alpha receptor is required for neural crest cell development and for normal patterning of the somites. Development 124: 2691–2700. .
- 2007. TGF-beta signaling is essential for joint morphogenesis. J Cell Biol 177: 1105–1117. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Role of canonical Wnt-signalling in joint formation. Eur Cell Mater 12: 71–80. , , , .
- 1996. Joint patterning defects caused by single and double mutations in members of the bone morphogenetic protein (BMP) family. Development 122: 3969–3979. , .
- 1995. Targeted disruption of mouse EGF receptor: effect of genetic background on mutant phenotype. Science 269: 230–234. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1998. A crucial role for Pax3 in the development of the hypaxial musculature and the long-range migration of muscle precursors. Dev Biol 203: 49–61. , , , , , .
- 2006. BMP2 activity, although dispensable for bone formation, is required for the initiation of fracture healing. Nat Genet 38: 1424–1429. , , , , , , , , .
- 1993. Skeletal muscles of mice deficient in muscle creatine kinase lack burst activity. Cell 74: 621–631. , , , , , , .