Cleft palate defect of Dlx1/2−/− mutant mice is caused by lack of vertical outgrowth in the posterior palate
Version of Record online: 28 SEP 2012
Copyright © 2012 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Volume 241, Issue 11, pages 1757–1769, November 2012
How to Cite
Jeong, J., Cesario, J., Zhao, Y., Burns, L., Westphal, H. and Rubenstein, J. L.R. (2012), Cleft palate defect of Dlx1/2−/− mutant mice is caused by lack of vertical outgrowth in the posterior palate. Dev. Dyn., 241: 1757–1769. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.23867
- Issue online: 17 OCT 2012
- Version of Record online: 28 SEP 2012
- Accepted manuscript online: 12 SEP 2012 02:58PM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 28 AUG 2012
- NIH/NIDCD. Grant Number: R01 DC05667
- March of Dimes
- NIH/NIDCR. Grant Number: K99/R00 DE019486
- NIH/NICHD intramural research program
- Weston Havens Foundation
- Hillblom Foundation
- Nina Ireland
- 2004. Image Processing with ImageJ. Biophotonics Int 11: 36–42. , , .
- 1999. Craniofacial, vestibular and bone defects in mice lacking the Distal-less related gene Dlx5. Development 126: 3795–3809. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. The cellular and molecular etiology of the cleft secondary palate in Fgf10 mutant mice. Dev Biol 277: 102–113. , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Interneuron migration from basal forebrain to neocortex: dependence on Dlx genes. Science 278: 474–476 , , , .
- 2002. Jaw transformation with gain of symmetry after Dlx5/Dlx6 inactivation: mirror of the past? Genesis 34: 221–227. , , , , , , , .
- 1993. The mouse Dlx-2 (Tes-1) gene is expressed in spatially restricted domains of the forebrain, face and limbs in midgestation mouse embryos. Mech Dev 40: 129–140. , , , , , .
- 2012. Palatogenesis: morphogenetic and molecular mechanisms of secondary palate development. Development 139: 231–243. , .
- 2000. Fate of the mammalian cranial neural crest during tooth and mandibular morphogenesis. Development 127: 1671–1679. , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Lhx6 delineates a pathway mediating innate reproductive behaviors from the amygdala to the hypothalamus. Neuron 46: 647–660. , , , , , , .
- 1999. Genomic organization and embryonic expression of the mouse fibroblast growth factor 9 gene. Dev Dyn 216: 72–88. , , , , .
- 1995. Down syndrome-critical region contains a gene homologous to Drosophila sim expressed during rat and human central nervous system development. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 92: 9191–9195. , , , , , , , ,
- 1998. Modification of gene activity in mouse embryos in utero by a tamoxifen-inducible form of Cre recombinase. Curr Biol 8: 1323–1326. , , , , .
- 2009. The LIM homeodomain transcription factors Lhx6 and Lhx7 are key regulators of mammalian dentition. Dev Biol 333: 324–336. , , .
- 1999. Dlx5 regulates regional development of the branchial arches and sensory capsules. Development 126: 831–3846. , , , , , , .
- 2002. Specification of jaw subdivisions by Dlx genes. Science 298: 381–385. , , .
- 2011. Cleft lip and palate: understanding genetic and environmental influences. Nat Rev Genet 12: 167–178. , , , .
- 1992. Expression of the murine Dlx-1 homeobox gene during facial, ocular and limb development. Differentiation 49: 93–99. , , .
- 2006. Epithelial and ectomesenchymal role of the type I TGF-β receptor ALK5 during facial morphogenesis and palatal fusion. Dev Biol 296: 298–314. , , , , , , , .
- 1996. Expression patterns of two murine homologs of Drosophila single-minded suggest possible roles in embryonic patterning and in the pathogenesis of Down syndrome. Mol Cell Neurosci 7: 1–16. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1988. Palate development. Development 103( Suppl): 41–60. .
- 2005. FGF8 is required for cell survival at distinct stages of nephrogenesis and for regulation of gene expression in nascent nephrons. Development 132: 3847–3857. , , , , , .
- 1998. Expression and regulation of Lhx6 and Lhx7, a novel subfamily of LIM homeodomain encoding genes, suggests a role in mammalian head development. Development 125: 2063–2074. , , , .
- 2007. Molecular control of secondary palate development. Dev Biol 301: 309–326 .
- 2008. The etiopathogenesis of cleft lip and cleft palate: usefulness and caveats of mouse models. Curr Top Dev Biol 84: 37–138. .
- 2009. Indirect modulation of Shh signaling by Dlx5 affects the oral-nasal patterning of palate and rescues cleft palate in Msx1-null mice. Development 136: 4225–4233. , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Regional regulation of palatal growth and patterning along the anterior-posterior axis in mice. J Anat 207: 655–667. , , , , .
- 2003. Conditional inactivation of Tgfbr2 in cranial neural crest causes cleft palate and calvaria defects. Development 130: 5269–5280. , , , , , , , , .
- 2012. Fibroblast growth factor 9 (Fgf9)-Pituitary homeobox 2 (Pitx2) pathway mediates transforming growth factor β (Tgfβ) signaling to regulate cell proliferation in palatal mesenchyme during mouse palatogenesis. J Biol Chem 287: 2353–2363. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Hedgehog signaling in the neural crest cells regulates the patterning and growth of facial primordia. Genes Dev 18: 937–951. , , , , .
- 2008. Dlx genes pattern mammalian jaw primordium by regulating both lower jaw-specific and upper jaw-specific genetic programs. Development 135: 2905–2916. , , , , , .
- 1998. Expression and function of FGFs-4, -8, and -9 suggest functional redundancy and repetitive use as epithelial signals during tooth morphogenesis. Dev Dyn 211: 256–268. , .
- 2007. Independent functions and mechanisms for homeobox gene Barx1 in patterning mouse stomach and spleen. Development 134: 3603–3613. , , , , , .
- 2007. Smad4 is required to regulate the fate of cranial neural crest cells. Dev Biol 312: 435–447. , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Sonic hedgehog signaling regulates reciprocal epithelial-mesenchymal interactions controlling palatal outgrowth. Development 136: 1387–1396. , .
- 2004. Odd-skipped related 2 (Osr2) encodes a key intrinsic regulator of secondary palate growth and morphogenesis. Development 131: 3207–3216. , , , , , .
- 2005. Dlx2 over-expression regulates cell adhesion and mesenchymal condensation in ectomesenchyme. Dev Biol 281: 22–37. , , .
- 2002. The Dlx5 homeobox gene is essential for vestibular morphogenesis in the mouse embryo through a BMP4-mediated pathway. Dev Biol 248: 157–169. , , , , , , , .
- 2011. Developmental stalling and organ-autonomous regulation of morphogenesis. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 108: 19270–19275. , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1991. Transcription factor AP-2 is expressed in neural crest cell lineages during mouse embryogenesis. Genes dev 5: 105–119. , , , , .
- 2002. Developmental functions of the Distal-less/Dlx homeobox genes. Development 129: 4371–4836. , .
- 1991. Isolation and characterization of a novel cDNA clone encoding a homeodomain that is developmentally regulated in the ventral forebrain. Neuron 77: 221–229. , , , .
- 1991. A mouse gene related to Distal-less shows a restricted expression in the developing forebrain. Nature 351: 748–751. , , , , .
- 1995. Null mutation of Dlx-2 results in abnormal morphogenesis of proximal first and second branchial arch derivatives and abnormal differentiation in the forebrain. Genes Dev 9: 2523–2538. , , , , , , .
- 1997. Role of the Dlx homeobox genes in proximodistal patterning of the branchial arches: mutations of Dlx-1, Dlx-2, and Dlx-1 and -2 alter morphogenesis of proximal skeletal and soft tissue structures derived from the first and second arches. Dev Biol 185: 165–184. , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Disruption of Fgf10/Fgfr2b-coordinated epithelial-mesenchymal interactions causes cleft palate. J Clin Invest 113: 1692–1700. , , , , , , , .
- 1994. Differential and overlapping expression domains of Dlx-2 and Dlx-3 suggest distinct roles for Distal-less homeobox genes in craniofacial development. Mech Dev 48: 199–215. , .
- 2006. Dlx5 and Dlx6 homeobox genes are required for specification of the mammalian vestibular apparatus. Genesis 44: 425–437. , .
- 2002. The Dlx5 and Dlx6 homeobox genes are essential for craniofacial, axial, and appendicular skeletal development. Genes Dev 16: 1089–1101. , , , .
- 2002. Craniofacial abnormalities resulting from targeted disruption of the murine Sim2 gene. Dev Dyn 224: 373–380. , , ,
- 1994. Cloning and characterization of two members of the vertebrate Dlx gene family. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 91: 2250–2254. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Cloning and expression analysis of a mouse gene related to Drosophila odd-skipped. Mech Dev 84: 157–160. , .
- 1999. Generalized LacZ expression with the ROSA26 Cre reporter strain. Nat Genet 21: 70–71. .
- 2008. Zebrafish dlx2a contributes to hindbrain neural crest survival, is necessary for differentiation of sensory ganglia and functions with dlx1a in maturation of the arch cartilage elements. Dev Biol 314: 59–70. , , , .
- 1997. Role of Dlx-1 and Dlx-2 genes in patterning of the murine dentition. Development 124: 4811–4818. , , , , , , .
- 1995. Barx1, a new mouse homeodomain transcription factor expressed in cranio-facial ectomesenchyme and the stomach. Mech Dev 51: 3–15. , , , , , .
- 1998. Classification and birth prevalence of orofacial clefts. Am J Med Genet 75: 126–137. , .
- 2011. Histomorphological study of palatal shelf elevation during murine secondary palate formation. Dev Dyn 240: 1737–1744. , .
- 2002. Rescue of cleft palate in Msx1-deficient mice by transgenic Bmp4 reveals a network of BMP and Shh signaling in the regulation of mammalian palatogenesis. Development 129: 4135–4146. , , , , , .
- 1999. Isolated cleft palate in mice with a targeted mutation of the LIM homeobox gene lhx8. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 96: 15002–15006. , , , , , , , .