Patterns & Phenotypes
Distinct expression patterns of Sulf1 and Hs6st1 spatially regulate heparan sulfate sulfation during prostate development
Article first published online: 5 NOV 2012
Copyright © 2012 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Special Issue: Special Focus on Developmental Biology in Latin America
Volume 241, Issue 12, pages 2005–2013, December 2012
How to Cite
Buresh-Stiemke, R. A., Malinowski, R. L., Keil, K. P., Vezina, C. M., Oosterhof, A., Van Kuppevelt, T. H. and Marker, P. C. (2012), Distinct expression patterns of Sulf1 and Hs6st1 spatially regulate heparan sulfate sulfation during prostate development. Dev. Dyn., 241: 2005–2013. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.23886
- Issue published online: 20 NOV 2012
- Article first published online: 5 NOV 2012
- Accepted manuscript online: 16 OCT 2012 07:10AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 7 OCT 2012
- NIDDK. Grant Numbers: DK091193, DK083425
- NCI. Grant Number: CA140217
- 2011a. A high-resolution molecular atlas of the fetal mouse lower urogenital tract. Dev Dyn 240: 2364–2377. , , , , , .
- 2011b. A high throughput in situ hybridization method to characterize mRNA expression patterns in the fetal mouse lower urogenital tract. J Vis Exp 54: e2912. , , , , , , , .
- 2010. Sulfatase 1 is an inhibitor of ductal morphogenesis with sexually dimorphic expression in the urogenital sinus. Endocrinology 151: 3420–3431. , , , , , .
- 2007. Noggin is required for normal lobe patterning and ductal budding in the mouse prostate. Dev Biol 312: 217–230. , , , , , , .
- 2006. Ventral neural progenitors switch toward an oligodendroglial fate in response to increased Sonic hedgehog (Shh) activity: involvement of sulfatase 1 in modulating Shh signaling in the ventral spinal cord. J Neurosci 26: 5037–5048. , , , , , , .
- 2002. Large, tissue-regulated domain diversity of heparan sulfates demonstrated by phage display antibodies. J Biol Chem 277: 10982–10986. , , , , , , .
- 2003. FGF-10 plays an essential role in the growth of the fetal prostate. Dev Biol 261: 39–54. , , .
- 2001. Molecular diversity of heparan sulfate. J Clin Invest 108: 169–173. , .
- 2005. BMP7 inhibits branching morphogenesis in the prostate gland and interferes with Notch signaling. Dev Biol 288: 334–347. , , , , .
- 2000. The occurrence of three isoforms of heparan sulfate 6-O-sulfotransferase having different specificities for hexuronic acid adjacent to the targeted N-sulfoglucosamine. J Biol Chem 275: 2859–2868. , , , , , , .
- 2003. Biosynthesis of heparan sulphate with diverse structures and functions: two alternatively spliced forms of human heparan sulphate 6-O-sulphotransferase-2 having different expression patterns and properties. Biochem J 371: 131–142. , , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Mice deficient in heparan sulfate 6-O-sulfotransferase-1 exhibit defective heparan sulfate biosynthesis, abnormal placentation, late embryonic lethality. J Biol Chem 282: 15578–15588. , , , , , .
- 2010. Direct detection of HSulf-1 and HSulf-2 activities on extracellular heparan sulfate and their inhibition by PI-88. Glycobiology 20: 175–186. , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. The role of Fgf10 signaling in branching morphogenesis and gene expression of the rat prostate gland: lobe-specific suppression by neonatal estrogens. Dev Biol 278: 396–414. , , , , .
- 2008. Systemic inactivation of Hs6st1 in mice is associated with late postnatal mortality without major defects in organogenesis. Genesis 46: 8–18. , , , , .
- 2010. Drosophila heparan sulfate 6-O endosulfatase regulates Wingless morphogen gradient formation. Dev Biol 345: 204–214. , , , , , .
- 2007. Fibroblast growth factor receptor signaling through MEK-ERK is required for prostate bud induction. Differentiation 75: 638–651. , .
- 2007. The mouse seminal vesicle shape mutation is allelic with Fgfr2. Development 134: 557–565. , , .
- 2008. Sulf loss influences N-, 2-o-, 6-o-sulfation of multiple heparan sulfate proteoglycans and modulates fibroblast growth factor signaling. J Biol Chem 283: 27724–27735. , , , .
- 2001. Mesenchymal factor bone morphogenetic protein 4 restricts ductal budding and branching morphogenesis in the developing prostate. Dev Biol 232: 301–314. , , , , , , .
- 2007. Fibroblast growth factor receptor 2 tyrosine kinase is required for prostatic morphogenesis and the acquisition of strict androgen dependency for adult tissue homeostasis. Development 134: 723–734. , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Differential interactions of FGFs with heparan sulfate control gradient formation and branching morphogenesis. Sci Signal 2: ra55. , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Hormonal, cellular, and molecular control of prostatic development. Dev Biol 253: 165–174. , , , .
- 2010. Extracellular sulfatases support cartilage homeostasis by regulating BMP and FGF signaling pathways. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 107: 10202–10207. , , , , , , , .
- 2010. Neural crest migration requires the activity of the extracellular sulphatases XtSulf1 and XtSulf2. Dev Biol 341: 375–388. , , .
- 2008. Molecular signaling pathways that regulate prostate gland development. Differentiation 76: 641–659. , .
- 2006. The role of estrogens in normal and abnormal development of the prostate gland. Ann N Y Acad Sci 1089: 1–13. , , , .
- 2010. Expression patterns of sulfatase genes in the developing mouse embryo. Dev Dyn 239: 1779–1788. , , .
- 2003. Mouse urogenital development: a practical approach. Differentiation 71: 402–413. , , , , .
- 1999. Prostatic growth and development are regulated by FGF10. Development 126: 3693–3701. , .
- 1998. Generation and application of type-specific anti-heparan sulfate antibodies using phage display technology - further evidence for heparan sulfate heterogeneity in the kidney. J Biol Chem 273: 12960–12966. , , , , .
- 2004. Domain-specific modification of heparan sulfate by Qsulf1 modulates the binding of the bone morphogenetic protein antagonist noggin. J Biol Chem 279: 5604–5611. , , , , .
- 2005. Real-time PCR for mRNA quantitation. Biotechniques 39: 75–85. , .
- 2003. Structural basis by which alternative splicing confers specificity in fibroblast growth factor receptors. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 100: 2266–2271. , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Role of epithelial cell fibroblast growth factor receptor substrate 2 alpha in prostate development, regeneration and tumorigenesis. Development 135: 775–784. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Sulf1 expression pattern and its role in cartilage and joint development. Dev Dyn 235: 3327–3335. , , .