Regeneration of Functional Pronephric Proximal Tubules After Partial Nephrectomy in Xenopus laevis
Article first published online: 28 JAN 2013
Copyright © 2012 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Volume 242, Issue 3, pages 219–229, March 2013
How to Cite
Caine, S. T. and Mclaughlin, K. A. (2013), Regeneration of Functional Pronephric Proximal Tubules After Partial Nephrectomy in Xenopus laevis. Dev. Dyn., 242: 219–229. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.23916
- Issue published online: 20 FEB 2013
- Article first published online: 28 JAN 2013
- Accepted manuscript online: 10 DEC 2012 08:32AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 26 NOV 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 2 NOV 2012
- Manuscript Received: 31 MAY 2012
- NSF . Grant Number: IOS-0843355
- 2009. MMP9 limits apoptosis and stimulates branching morphogenesis during kidney development. J Am Soc Nephrol 20:2171–2180. , , , .
- 1996. Gentamicin-induced nephrotoxicity and nephroneogenesis in Oreochromis nilotica, a tilapian fish. Dis Aquatic Org 26:49–58. , , , , .
- 2003. Nephrin and Neph1 co-localize at the podocyte foot process intercellular junction and form cis hetero-oligomers. J Biol Chem 278:19266–19271. M, , , , .
- 2009. MMP9 and SCF protect from apoptosis in acute kidney injury. J Am Soc Nephrol 20:787–797. , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Heterogeneous proliferative potential in regenerative adult newt cardiomyocytes. J Cell Sci 116:4001–4009. , , .
- 2007. Activity of matrix metalloproteinase-9 against native collagen types I and III. FEBS J 274:1246–1255. , , , .
- 2000. Cubilin is an albumin binding protein important for renal tubular albumin reabsorption. J Clin Invest 105:1353–1361. , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Dedifferentiation and proliferation of surviving epithelial cells in acute renal failure. J Am Soc Nephrol 14(suppl 1)S55–S61. .
- 2010. Mechanisms of acute kidney injury and repair. In: Jörres A, Ronco C, Kellum JA, editors. Management of acute kidney problems. Berlin: Springer. p 13–20. .
- 1982. Activity of glucose-6-phosphatase in regenerating tubular epithelium in rat kidney after necrosis induced with mercuric chloride: a light and electronmicroscopical study. Br J Exp Pathol 63:615–624. , , .
- 1999. Towards a molecular anatomy of the Xenopus pronephric kidney. Int J Dev Biol 43:381–395. .
- 2000. Xenopus laevis gelatinase B (Xmmp-9): development, regeneration, and wound healing. Dev Dyn 217:377–387. , , .
- 2001. Expression of Hoxb13 and Hoxc10 in developing and regenerating axolotl limbs and tails. Dev Biol 229:396–406. , , , .
- 1999a. Molecular regulation of pronephric development. Curr Top Dev Biol 44:67–100. , , , .
- 1999b. Dynamic patterns of gene expression in the developing pronephros of Xenopus laevis. Dev Genet 24:199–207. , , .
- 2008. Gene expression analysis defines the proximal tubule as the compartment for endocytic receptor-mediated uptake in the Xenopus pronephric kidney. Pflug Arch Eur J Physiol 456:1163–1176. , , , , .
- 2003. Matrix metalloproteinase-9 and tissue inhibitor of metalloproteinases-1 in acute pyelonephritis and renal scarring. Pediatr Res 53:698–705. , , , , , , .
- 2004. Tissue inhibitor of metalloproteinase 1 activates normal human granulocytes, protects them from apoptosis, and blocks their transmigration during inflammation. Infect Immun 72:82–88. , , , .
- 1972. Cell cycle studies in the regenerating rat nephron following injury with mercuric chloride. Lab Invest 26:122–126. , , .
- 2011. Identification of adult nephron progenitors capable of kidney regeneration in zebrafish. Nature 470:95–101. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2006. The cellular basis of kidney development. Annu Rev Cell Dev Biol 22:509–529. .
- 1998. Early development of the zebrafish pronephros and analysis of mutations affecting pronephric function. Development 125:4655–4667. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Nephrogenesis is induced by partial nephrectomy in the elasmobranch Leucoraja erinacea. J Am Soc Nephrol 14:1506–1518. , , , , , , .
- 1998. Proteolytic mechanisms in corneal ulceration and repair. Arch Dermatol Res Suppl 290(suppl):S12–S23. , , .
- 2002. Cell cycle reentry of ventricular and atrial cardiomyocytes and cells within the epicardium following amputation of the ventricular apex in the axolotl, Amblystoma mexicanum: confocal microscopic immunofluorescent image analysis of bromodeoxyuridine-labeled nuclei. Anat Embryol 205:235–244. .
- 1999. Towards a functional analysis of limb regeneration. Semin Cell Dev Biol 10:385–393. , , .
- 2004. Cell lineage tracing during Xenopus tail regeneration. Development 131:2669–2679. , .
- 2002. Apoptosis in the pathogenesis of renal disease with a focus on tubulointerstitial injury. Nephrology 7:287–293. , .
- 1995. Clusterin expression and apoptosis in tissue remodeling associated with renal regeneration. Kidney Int 47:411–420. , , , , .
- 1998. Changes in matrix metalloproteinases during the evolution of interstitial renal fibrosis in a rat experimental model. Pathobiology 66:196–204. , , , , .
- 1991. In situ hybridization: an improved whole-mount method for Xenopus embryos. Methods Cell Biol 36:685–695. .
- 2003. Regeneration or scarring: an immunologic perspective. Dev Dyn 226:268–279. , , , .
- 2005. Acute renal failure in zebrafish: a novel system to study a complex disease. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 288:F923–F929. , , , , , .
- 2008. Early treatment of acute pyelonephritis in children fails to reduce renal scarring: data from the Italian renal infection study trials. Pediatrics 122:486–490. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2011. Adjunctive oral methylprednisolone in pediatric acute pyelonephritis alleviates renal scarring. Pediatrics 128:e496–e504. , , , , , .
- 2011. Genetic tracing of the epithelial lineage during mammalian kidney repair. Int Soc Nephrol 1:83–86. .
- 2011. Repair of injured proximal tubule does not involve specialized progenitors. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 108:9226–9231. , , , , , .
- 2008. Intrinsic epithelial cells repair the kidney after injury. Cell Stem Cell 2:284–291. , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Re-expression of the developmental gene Pax-2 during experimental acute tubular necrosis in mice. Kidney Int 56:1423–1431. , , , , , , .
- 2011. Laser ablation of the zebrafish pronephros to study renal epithelial regeneration. J Vis Exp 54:2845. , , .
- 1998. Matrix metalloproteinases. Curr Opin Chem Biol 2:466–471. , , .
- Kay BK, Peng HB, editors. 1991. Methods in cell biology. Xenopus laevis: practical uses in cell and molecular biology. San Diego, CA: Academic Press Inc. 718 p.
- 1995. Regeneration of renal proximal tubule cells in primary culture following toxicant injury: response to growth factors. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 132:273–280. , .
- 1982. Proliferative defects in renal and intestinal epithelium after cis-dichlorodiammine platinum (II). Br J Cancer 45:286–294. , , , .
- 2000. Kidney morphogenesis: cellular and molecular regulation. Mech Dev 92:31–45. , , .
- 1986. Protein absorption by tubular mesonephric and metanephric structures in the human embryo. An immunohistochemical study. Cell Tissue Res 246:77–80. , , , .
- 2007. Model of albumin reabsorption in the proximal tubule. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 292:F430–F439. , .
- 1997. Matrix metalloproteinases MMP2 and MMP9 are produced in early stages of kidney morphogenesis but only MMP9 is required for renal organogenesis in vitro. J Cell Biol 136:1363–1373. , , , .
- 2002. Molecular cloning of the fish interferon stimulated gene, 15 kDa (ISG15) orthologue: a ubiquitin-like gene induced by nephrotoxic damage. Gene 298:129–139. , , .
- 2011. Cellular and molecular mechanisms of renal fibrosis. Nat Rev Nephrol 7:684–696. .
- 2009. Increased matrix metalloproteinase-9 predicts poor wound healing in diabetic foot ulcers. Diabetes Care 32:117–119. , , , , , , .
- 1993. Reversal of muscle differentiation during urodele limb regeneration. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 90:7230–7234. , , .
- 1992. The matrix-degrading metalloproteinases. Bioessays 14:455–463. .
- 2003. Mechanisms of repair after kidney injury. J Nephrol 16:186–195. , , .
- 1995. Human acute tubular necrosis: a lectin and immunohistochemical study. Hum Pathol 26:230–239. , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Programmed cell death during amphibian metamorphosis. Sem Cell Dev Biol 16:271–280. , , .
- Nieuwkoop PD, Faber J, editors. 1994. Normal table of Xenopus laevis (daudin). New York: Garland Publishing, Inc. 252 p.
- 1992. Tubular injury and regeneration in the rat kidney following acute exposure to gentamicin: a time-course study. Ren Fail 14:507–521. , , , , , , .
- 2003. Mechanisms of renal cell repair and regeneration after acute renal failure. J Pharmacol Exp Ther 304:905–912. , .
- 2002. Heart regeneration in zebrafish. Science 298:2188–2190. , , .
- 2004. Exploring the mechanisms regulating regeneration of deer antlers. Philos Trans R Soc Lond Ser B Biol Sci 359:809–822. , .
- 2001. A fish model of renal regeneration and development. ILAR J 42:285–291. .
- 1995. Development of new nephrons in adult kidneys following gentamicin-induced nephrotoxicity. Ren Fail 17:101–106. , .
- 1998. Evolution of immune surveillance and tumor immunity: studies in Xenopus. Immunol Rev 166:231–243. , .
- 2001. New nephron development in goldfish (Carassius auratus) kidneys following repeated gentamicin-induced nephrotoxicosis. Comp Med 51:56–59. , , , .
- 1994. Expression of matrix metalloproteinase-2 and -9 during early human wound healing. Lab Invest 70:176–182. , , , , .
- 1987. Organogenesis of the kidney. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press. 173 p. .
- 2000. Cell biology and molecular mechanisms of injury in ischemic acute renal failure. Curr Opin Nephrol Hypertens 9:427–434. , .
- 2007. Apoptosis is required during early stages of tail regeneration in Xenopus laevis. Dev Biol 301:62–69. , , , , .
- 2008. Elevated MMP expression in the MRL mouse retina creates a permissive environment for retinal regeneration. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 49:1686–1695. , , , , .
- 1978. Ischemic damage and repair in the rat proximal tubule: differences among the S1, S2, and S3 segments. Kidney Int 14:31–49. , , , .
- 2002. The tandem endocytic receptors megalin and cubilin are important proteins in renal pathology. Kidney Int 62:745–756. , , , , .
- 1995. Development of the Xenopus pronephric system. Dev Biol 171:531–540. , , .
- 1997. Model systems for the study of kidney development: use of the pronephros in the analysis of organ induction and patterning. Dev Biol 188:189–204. , , , .
- 1992. Mechanism of the nephrogenic repair response: studies on proliferation and vimentin expression after 35S-1,2-dichlorovinyl-L-cysteine nephrotoxicity in vivo and in cultured proximal tubule epithelial cells. Lab Invest 66:474–484. , , , , .
- 2009. Kidney regeneration through nephron neogenesis in medaka: original article. Dev Growth Differ 51:135–143. , , , , , , , , .
- 1989. Compensatory growth and other growth responses of the kidney. Nephron 51:149–184. .
- 1994. Localization of proliferating cell nuclear antigen, vimentin, c-fos, and clusterin in the postischemic kidney. Evidence for a heterogenous genetic response among nephron segments, and a large pool of mitotically active and dedifferentiated cells. J Clin Invest 93:2175–2188. , , , .
- 2008. Cellular and molecular mechanisms of fibrosis. J Pathol 214:199–210. .
- 1999. Expression of mmp-9 and related matrix metalloproteinase genes during axolotl limb regeneration. Dev Dyn 216:2–9. , , , , .
- 2007. Neural retinal regeneration in the anuran amphibian Xenopus laevis post-metamorphosis: transdifferentiation of retinal pigmented epithelium regenerates the neural retina. Dev Biol 303:45–56. , , , .
- 2010. Characterization of mesonephric development and regeneration using transgenic zebrafish. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 299:F1040–1047. , , , , .
- 2004. Proximo-distal specialization of epithelial transport processes within the Xenopus pronephric kidney tubules. Dev Biol 271:322–338. , .
- 2011. Meningeal cells and glia establish a permissive environment for axon regeneration after spinal cord injury in newts. Neural Dev 6:1. , , .