Expression of Neurogenin 1 in Mouse Embryonic Stem Cells Directs the Differentiation of Neuronal Precursors and Identifies Unique Patterns of Down-stream Gene Expression
Article first published online: 8 FEB 2013
Copyright © 2013 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Volume 242, Issue 3, pages 230–253, March 2013
How to Cite
Velkey, J. M. and O'Shea, K. S. (2013), Expression of Neurogenin 1 in Mouse Embryonic Stem Cells Directs the Differentiation of Neuronal Precursors and Identifies Unique Patterns of Down-stream Gene Expression. Dev. Dyn., 242: 230–253. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.23920
- Issue published online: 20 FEB 2013
- Article first published online: 8 FEB 2013
- Accepted manuscript online: 3 JAN 2013 06:02AM EST
- Manuscript Revised: 16 NOV 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 16 NOV 2012
- Manuscript Received: 6 MAR 2012
- NIH . Grant Numbers: NS39438 , DE07057
- 2009. Heterogeneity in the developmental potential of motor neuron progenitors revealed by clonal analysis of single cells in vitro. Neural Dev 4:2. , .
- 2010. Induction of neural crest cells from mouse embryonic stem cells in a serum-free monolayer culture. Int J Dev Biol 54:1287–1294. , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2010. Ring1B and Suv39h1 delineage distinct chromatin states at bivalent genes during early mouse lineage commitment. Development 137:2483–2492. , , , , , , , , ' , .
- 2007. Identification of self-replicating multipotent progenitors in the embryonic nervous system by high Notch activity and Hes5 expression. Eur J Neurosci 25:1006–1022. , .
- 2006. The establishment of neuronal properties is controlled by Sox4 and Sox 11. Genes Dev 20:3475–3486. , , , , .
- 2002. Proneural genes and the specification of neural cell types. Nat Rev Neurosci 3:517–530. , , .
- 1997. The activity of neurogenin1 is controlled by local cues in the zebrafish embryo. Development 124:4557–4569. , , , , .
- 2006. Polycomb complexes repress developmental regulators in murine embryonic stem cells. Nature 441:349–353. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. A homeodomain protein code specifies progenitor cell identity and neuronal fate in the ventral neural tube. Cell 101:325–345. , , , .
- 2002. Signalling, cell cycle and pluripotency in embryonic stem cells. Trends Cell Biol 12:432–438. , , .
- 2011. A novel function of the proneural factor Ascl1 in progenitor proliferation identified by genome-wide characterization of its targets. Genes Dev 25:930–945. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1996. Neuronal type information encoded in the basic-helix-loop-helix domain of proneural genes. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 93:13239–13244. , , , .
- 2009. Lhx2 specifies regional fate in Emx1 lineage of telencephalic progenitors generating cerebral cortex. Nat Neurosci 12:1381–1389. , , , .
- 2005. Characterization of E2F8, a Novel E2F-like cell-cycle regulated repressor of E2F-activated transcription. Nucleic Acids Res 33:5458–5470. , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Genetic engineering of mouse embryonic stem cells by Nurr1 enhances differentiation and maturation into dopaminergic neurons. Eur J Neurosci 16:1829–1838. , , , , , , , , .
- 2011. Polycomb-mediated repression during terminal differentiation: what don't you want to be when you grow up? Genes Dev 25:997–1003. , , , , .
- 2007. Regulation of neuronal cdc20 (p55cdc) expression by the plasticity-related transcription factor zif268. Synapse 61:463–468. , , , .
- 2010. Histone H3K27ac separates active from poised enhancers and predicts developmental state. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 107:21931–21936. , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Increased cell proliferation and neurogenesis in the adult human Huntington's disease brain. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 100:9023–9027. , , , , , , , .
- 2011. Altered gene expression in the emerging cerebellar primordium of Neurog1-/- mice. Brain Res 1388:12–21. , , , .
- 2005. A Hox regulatory network establishes motor neuron pool identity and target-muscle connectivity. Cell 123:477–491. , , , .
- 2003. Dlx1, Dlx2, Pax6, Brn3b, and Chx10 homeobox gene expression defines the retinal ganglion and inner nuclear layers of the developing and adult mouse retina. J Comp Neurol 461:187–204. , , , , .
- 1990. Differential expression of two neuronal intermediate-filament proteins, peripherin and the low-molecular-mass neurofilament protein (NF-L), during the development of the rat. J Neurosci 10:764–784. , , , , .
- 2000. Generation of neurons by transient expression of neural bHLH proteins in mammalian cells. Development 127:693–702. , , , , , .
- 2001. Signals from the ventral midline and isthmus regulate the development of Brn3.0-expressing neurons in the midbrain. Mech Dev 105:129–144. , .
- 1998. The bHLH protein NEUROGENIN 2 is a determination factor for epibranchial placode-derived sensory neurons. Neuron 20:483–494. , , , , , , .
- 2000. A role for neural determination genes in specifying the dorsoventral identity of telencephalic neurons. Genes Dev 14:67–80. , , , , , .
- 2004. Suv39h histone methyltransferases interact with Smads and cooperate in BMP-induced repression. Oncogene 23:5242–5251. , , , , , , .
- 2009. A genome-wide screen for spatially restricted expression patterns identifies transcription factors that regulate glial development. J Neurosci 29:11399–11408. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Ebf gene function is required for coupling neuronal differentiation and cell cycle exit. Development 130:6013–6025. , , , .
- 2008. Characterization of the proneural gene regulatory network during mouse telencerphalon development. BMC Biol 6:15. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Cross-inhibitory activities of Neurog1 and Math1 allow specification of distinct dorsal interneurons. Neuron 31:219–232. , , , , , , .
- 1996. Restricted expression of a novel murine atonal-related bHLH protein in undifferentiated neural precursors. Dev Biol 180:227–241. , , .
- 2010. Conserved and divergent roles of FGF signaling in mouse epiblast stem cells and human embryonic stem cells. Cell Stem Cell 6:215–226. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2011. FGF signalling inhibits neural induction in human embryonic stem cells. EMBO J 30:4874–4884. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1993. Dynamic expression of the murine Achaete-Scute homologue Mash-1 in the developing nervous system. Mech Dev 42:171–185. , .
- 1993. Mammalian achaete-scute homolog 1 is required for the early development of olfactory and autonomic neurons. Cell 75:463–476. , , , , , .
- 2004. Hes genes regulate size, shape and histogenesis of the nervous system by control of the timing of neural stem cell differentiation. Development 131:5539–5550. , , , , , , .
- 2003. Specification of dorsal spinal cord interneurons. Curr Opin Neurobiol 13:42–49. , .
- 2005. Sequential roles for Mash1 and Ngn2 in the generation of dorsal spinal cord interneurons. Development 132:2709–2719. , , , , , , .
- 2009. Systematic and integrative analysis of large gene lists using DAVID bioinformatics resources. Nat Proc 4:44–57. , , .
- 2005. Distinct effects of caudalizing factors on regional specification of embryonic stem cell-derived neural precursors. Brain Res Dev Brain Res 154:63–70. , , , , .
- 2011. Temporally controlled modulation of FGF/ERK signaling directs midbrain dopaminergic neural progenitor fate in mouse and human pluripotent stem cells. Development 138:4363–4374. , , , , , , , , .
- 1998. The specificity of proneural genes in determining Drosophila sense organ identity. Mech Dev 76:117–125. , .
- 2000. Neuronal specification in the spinal cord: inductive signals and transcriptional codes. Nat Rev Genet 1:20–29. .
- 1990. Two rat homologues of Drosophila achaete-scute specifically expressed in neuronal precursors. Nature 346:858–861. , , .
- 2011. Polycomb EZH2 controls self-renewal and safeguards the transcriptional identity of skeletal muscle stem cells. Genes Dev 25:789–794. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Over-expression of bHLH genes facilitate neural formation of mouse embryonic stem (ES) cells in vitro. Int J Dev Neurosci 22:149–156. , , , , .
- 2010. Isolation and propagation of enteric neural crest progenitor cells from mouse embryonic stem cells and embryos. Development 137:693–704. , , , , .
- 2005. Mph2 expression in germinal zones of the mouse brain. Dev Dyn 232:209–215. , , .
- 2011. Spatiotemporal fate map of Neurogenin1 (Neurog1) lineages in the mouse central nervous system. J Comp Neurol 519:1355–1370. , , , , , , .
- 2004. Neurogenin1 is sufficient to induce neuronal differentiation of embryonal carcinoma P19 in the absence of retinoic acid. Cell Mol Neurosci 24:343–356. , , , , , , .
- 2007. FGF stimulation of the Erk 1/2 signalling cascade triggers transition of pluripotent embryonic stem cells from self-renewal to lineage commitment. Development 137:2895–2902. , , , , , .
- 2002. HoxB4 confers definitive lymphoid-myeloid engraftment potential on embryonic stem cell and yolk sac hematopoietic progenitors. Cell 109:29–37. , , .
- 2012. Multiple modes of chromatin remodeling by Forkhead box proteins. Biochim Biophys Acta 1819:707–715. , , , .
- 2010. The role of FGF/Erk signaling in pluripotent cells. Development 137:3351–3360. , .
- 1995. Conversion of Xenopus ectoderm into neurons by NeuroD, a basic helix-loop-helix protein. Science 268:836–844. , , , , , .
- 2006. A molecular insight of Hes5-dependent inhibition of myelin gene expression: old partners and new players. EMBO J 25:4833–4842. , , , , , , .
- 1998. MASH1 activates expression of the paired homeodomain transcription factor Phox2a, and couples pan-neuronal and subtype-specific components of autonomic neuronal identity. Development 125:609–620. , , .
- 2002. Comparison of the generic neuronal differentiation and neuron subtype specification functions of mammalian achaete-scute and atonal homologs in cultured neural progenitor cells. Development 129:1553–1567. , , , .
- 2006. Notch signalling in vertebrate neural development. Nat Rev Neurosci 7:93–102. , .
- 2000. Neurogenin 1 null mutant ears develop fewer, morphologically normal hair cells in smaller sensory epithelia devoid of innervation. J Assoc Res Otolaryngol 1:129–143. , , .
- 1996. Identification of neurogenin, a vertebrate neuronal determination gene. Cell 87:43–52. , , .
- 1997. Mash1 and neurogenin1 expression patterns define complementary domains of neuroepithelium in the developing CNS and are correlated with regions expressing notch ligands. J Neurosci 17:3644–3652. , , , .
- 2011. Genes expressed in Atoh1 neuronal lineages arising from the r1/isthmus rhombic lip. Gene Expr Patterns 11:349–359. , , .
- 2008. Ezh1 and Ezh2 maintain repressive chromatin through different mechanisms. Mol Cell 32:503–518. , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Gadd proteins induce G2/M arrest and modulate apoptosis in kidney cells exposed to hyperosmotic stress. J Biol Chem 297:39075–39084. , .
- 1996. OTX2 homeoprotein in the developing central nervous system and migratory cells of the olfactory area. Mech Dev 58:165–178. , , , , .
- 2008. Lhx2 selector activity specifies cortical identity and suppresses hippocampal organizer fate. Science 319:304–309. , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Multiple roles of Id4 in developmental myelination: predicted outcomes and unexpected findings. Glia 54:285–296. , , , , .
- 2004. A screen for downstream effectors of neurogenin2 in the embryonic neocortex. Dev Biol 273:373–389. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Generation of neural crest-derived peripheral neurons and floor plate cells from mouse and primate embryonic stem cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 100:5828–5833. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Structures of the tyrosine kinase domain of fibroblast growth factor receptor in complex with inhibitors. Science 276:955–960. , , , , , , , .
- 1987. Development of the peripheral trigeminal system in the chick revealed by an isotype specific anti-beta-tubulin monoclonal antibody. J Comp Neurol 279:567–580. , , .
- 2000. A fragment of the Neurogenin1 gene confers regulated expression of a reporter gene in vivo and in vitro. Dev Dyn 218:189–194. , , , , .
- 2009. Brn3a as a marker of retinal ganglion cells: qualitative and quantitative time course studies in naive and optic nerve-injured retinas. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 50:3860–3868. , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Requirement for COUP-TFI and II in the temporal specification of neural stem cells in CNS development. Nat Neurosci 11:10114–10123. , , , .
- 2004. Separable enhancer sequences regulate the expression of the neural bHLH transcription factor neurogenin1. Dev Biol 271:479–487. , , , , .
- 1986. Quantification of physiological levels of retinoic acid. Methods Enzymol 123:112–124. .
- 2008. Deconstructing stem cell self-renewal: genetic insights into cell-cycle regulation. Nat Rev Genet 9:115–128. , .
- 2011. Induction of human neuronal cells by defined transcription factors. Nature 476:220–223. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Divergent functions of the proneural genes Mash1 and Ngn2 in the specification of neuronal subtype identity. Genes Dev 16:324–338. , , , , , .
- 1999. Early specification of sensory neuron fate revealed by expression and function of neurogenins in the chick embryo. Development 126:1715–1728. , , .
- 2012. Stem cell factor and granulocyte colony-stimulating factor promote neuronal lineage commitment of neural stem cells. Differentiation 83:17–25. , , ,
- 2010. Sequential requirement of Sox4 and Sox11 during development of the sympathetic nervous system. Development 137:775–784. , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Context dependence of proneural bHLH proteins. Curr Opin Genet Dev 18:411–417. , .
- 2001. Xebf3 is a regulator of neuronal differentiation during primary neurogenesis in Xenopus. Dev Biol 233:495–512. , , , , .
- 2010. Neurogenin1 (Neurog1) expression in the ventral neural tube is mediated by a distinct enhancer and preferentially marks ventral interneuron lineages. Dev Biol 30:283–292. , , , .
- 2005. From skin to nerve: flies, vertebrates and the first helix. Cell Mol Life Sci 62:2036–2049. , .
- 2008. Glutamatergic neuronal differentiation of mouse embryonic stem cells after transient expression of neurogenin 1 and treatment with BDNF and GDNF: in vitro and in vivo studies. J Neurosci 28:12622–12631. , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Directed differentiation of neural and sensory tissues from embryonic stem cells in vitro. Ernst Schering Res Found Workshop 54:101–109. .
- 2010. Stable expression of neurogenin 1 induces LGR5, a novel stem cell marker, in an immortalized human neural stem cell line HB1.F3. Cell Mol Neurobiol 30:415–426. , , , , .
- 2007. Neurogenin and neuroD direct transcriptional targets and their regulatory enhancers. EMBO J 26:5093–5108. , , , , .
- 1996. Neurogenins, a novel family of atonal-related bHLH transcription factors, are putative mammalian neuronal determination genes that reveal progenitor cell heterogeneity in the developing CNS and PNS. Mol Cell Neurosci 8:221–241. , , .
- 2010. Retinoic acid orchestrates fibroblast growth factor signaling to drive embryonic stem cell differentiation. Development 137:881–890. , , .
- 2000. Initiation of neural induction by FGF signaling before gastrulation. Nature 406:74-78. , , , , .
- 2010. Neural induction intermediates exhibit distinct roles of Fgf signaling. Stem Cells 28:1772–1781. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Neurogenin promotes neurogenesis and inhibits glial differentiation by independent mechanisms. Cell 104:365–376. , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Neuronal intermediate filament in the developing rat retina. Acta Histochem Cytochem 37:95–99. , , , , .
- 2012. Differential contribution of Neurog1 and Neurog2 on the formation of cranial ganglia along the anterior-posterior axis. Dev Dyn 241:229–241. , , .
- 2004. The Coup-TF nuclear receptors regulate cell migration in the mammalian basal forebrain. Development 131:6119–6129. , , , .
- 2001. Direct neural fate specification from embryonic stem cells: a primitive mammalian neural stem cell stage acquired through a default mechanism. Neuron 30:65–78. , , , , , .
- 1994. Expression of achaete-scute homolog 3 in Xenopus embryos converts ectodermal cells to a neural fate. Genes Dev 8:1434–1447. , .
- 2005. Developmental activation of the Rb-E2F pathway and establishment of cell cycle-regulated cyclin-dependent kinase activity during embryonic stem cell differentiation. Mol Biol Cell 16:2018–2027. , , , , , .
- 2002. Directed differentiation of embryonic stem cells into motor neurons. Cell 110:385–397. , , , .
- 1988. Myeloid leukemia inhibitory factor maintains the developmental potential of embryonic stem cells. Nature 336:684–687. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. The mechanisms of dorsoventral patterning in the vertebrate neural tube. Dev Biol 282:1–13. , .
- 2000. An early requirement for FGF signaling in the acquisition of neural cell fate in the chick embryo. Curr Biol 10:421–429. , , , , .
- 2002. Chromosomal silencing and localization are mediated by different domains of Xist RNA. Nat Genet 30:167–174. , , .
- 2003a. BMP induction of Id proteins suppresses differentiation and sustains embryonic stem cell self-renewal in collaboration with Stat3. Cell 115:281–292. , , , .
- 2003b. Conversion of embryonic stem cells into neuroectodermal precursors in adherent monoculture. Nat Biotechnol 21:183–186. , , , , .
- 2011. Extended periods of neural induction and propagation of embryonic stem cell-derived neural progenitors with EGF and FGF2 enhances Lmx1a expression and neurogenic potential. Neurochem Int 59:394–403. , , , .
- 2003. The beta-catenin/VegT-regulated early zygotic gene Xnr5 is a direct target of SOX3 regulation. Development 130:5609–5624. , , , .