Genetic Interaction Screens Identify a Role for Hedgehog Signaling in Drosophila Border Cell Migration
Version of Record online: 8 FEB 2013
Copyright © 2013 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Volume 242, Issue 5, pages 414–431, May 2013
How to Cite
Geisbrecht, E. R., Sawant, K., Su, Y., Liu, Z., Silver, D. L., Burtscher, A., Wang, X., Zhu, A. J. and McDonald, J. A. (2013), Genetic Interaction Screens Identify a Role for Hedgehog Signaling in Drosophila Border Cell Migration. Dev. Dyn., 242: 414–431. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.23926
- Issue online: 17 APR 2013
- Version of Record online: 8 FEB 2013
- Accepted manuscript online: 17 JAN 2013 10:43PM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 28 DEC 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 22 DEC 2012
- Manuscript Received: 22 OCT 2012
- National Institutes of Health. Grant Numbers: R01AR060788, R01GM085175, R01GM078526
- March of Dimes Basil O'Connor Award. Grant Number: 5-FY07-41
- American Heart Association. Grant Number: 12SDG8870002
- 2005. Drosophila Smoothened phosphorylation sites essential for Hedgehog signal transduction. Nat Cell Biol 7:86–92. , , , , .
- 2010. Spatial restriction of receptor tyrosine kinase activity through a polarized endocytic cycle controls border cell migration. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 107:22558–22563. , , , , .
- 1997. Proteolysis that is inhibited by hedgehog targets Cubitus interruptus protein to the nucleus and converts it to a repressor. Cell 89:1043–1053. , , , , .
- 2002. Eyes absent, a key repressor of polar cell fate during Drosophila oogenesis. Development 129:5377–5388. , .
- 2000. Regulation of invasive cell behavior by taiman, a Drosophila protein related to AIB1, a steroid receptor coactivator amplified in breast cancer. Cell 103: 1047–1058. , , .
- 2002. The JAK/STAT pathway is required for border cell migration during Drosophila oogenesis. Mech Dev 111:115–123. , , .
- 2007. Two distinct modes of guidance signalling during collective migration of border cells. Nature 448:362–365. , , , , , , .
- 2010. Hedgehog targets in the Drosophila embryo and the mechanisms that generate tissue-specific outputs of Hedgehog signaling. Development 137: 3887–3898. , , , .
- 2005. Sonic hedgehog induces epidermal growth factor dependent matrix infiltration in HaCaT keratinocytes. J Invest Dermatol 124:457–465. , , , , .
- 2007. Sonic hedgehog induces transcription-independent cytoskeletal rearrangement and migration regulated by arachidonate metabolites. Cell Signal 19:2596–2604. , , , , .
- 2012. Hedgehog-stimulated chemotaxis is mediated by smoothened located outside the primary cilium. Sci Signal 5:ra60. , , .
- 2008. EMS screens: from mutagenesis to screening and mapping. Methods Mol Biol 420:119–138. .
- 2006. Systematic analysis of the transcriptional switch inducing migration of border cells. Dev Cell 10:497–508. , , , , , , .
- 1994. Ectopic expression in Drosophila. Methods Cell Biol 44:635–654. , , .
- 1999. Dispatched, a novel sterol-sensing domain protein dedicated to the release of cholesterol-modified hedgehog from signaling cells. Cell 99:803–815. , , , , , , .
- 2008. Hedgehog serves as a mitogen and survival factor during embryonic stem cell neurogenesis. Stem Cells 26:1097–1108. , , .
- 1996. Dual roles for patched in sequestering and transducing Hedgehog. Cell 87:553–563. , .
- 1999. Mutants of cubitus interruptus that are independent of PKA regulation are independent of hedgehog signaling. Development 126: 3607–3616. , , , .
- 2007. Hedgehog signaling is a principal inducer of Myosin-II-driven cell ingression in Drosophila epithelia. Dev Cell 13:730–742. , , , , .
- 2001. Drosophila par-1 is required for oocyte differentiation and microtubule organization. Curr Biol 11:75–87. , , , , .
- 2006. Sonic Hedgehog signaling in advanced prostate cancer. Cell Mol Life Sci 63:435–448. , .
- 2001. Guidance of cell migration by the Drosophila PDGF/VEGF receptor. Cell 107:17–26. , , , , .
- 2002. Hedgehog regulates cell growth and proliferation by inducing Cyclin D and Cyclin E. Nature 417:299–304. , , , .
- 2007. Myosin II regulates complex cellular arrangement and epithelial architecture in Drosophila. Dev Cell 13:717–729. , , .
- 2008. Costal2 functions as a kinesin-like protein in the hedgehog signal transduction pathway. Curr Biol 18:1215–1220. , , , , , , .
- 1996a. hedgehog is required for the proliferation and specification of ovarian somatic cells prior to egg chamber formation in Drosophila. Development 122:1125–1135. , , , .
- 1996b. The role of segment polarity genes during early oogenesis in Drosophila. Development 122:3283–3294. , , , .
- 2009. Collective cell migration in morphogenesis, regeneration and cancer. Nat Rev Mol Cell Biol 10:445–457. , .
- 2012. Classifying collective cancer cell invasion. Nat Cell Biol 14:777–783. , , , .
- 2002. Invasive cell migration is initiated by guided growth of long cellular extensions. Nat Cell Biol 4:715–719. , .
- 2004. A role for Drosophila IAP1-mediated caspase inhibition in Rac-dependent cell migration. Cell 118:111–125. , .
- 2002. The Drosophila cytokine receptor Domeless controls border cell migration and epithelial polarization during oogenesis. Development 129:5437–5447. , , , , , , .
- 1998. Drosophila oocyte localization is mediated by differential cadherin-based adhesion. Nature 395:387–391. , .
- 2002. Rac function and regulation during Drosophila development. Nature 416:438–442. , , , , , , , , .
- 2010. Drosophila Boi limits Hedgehog levels to suppress follicle stem cell proliferation. J Cell Biol 191:943–952. , , , , , .
- 2011. A novel function of the cell polarity-regulating kinase PAR-1/MARK in dendritic spines. Bioarchitecture 1:261–266. , , .
- 2011. Shining light on Drosophila oogenesis: live imaging of egg development. Curr Opin Genet Dev 21:612–619. , , .
- 2006. Molecular pathways regulating pro-migratory effects of Hedgehog signaling. J Biol Chem 281:33860–33870. , , , , .
- 2003. Smoothened translates Hedgehog levels into distinct responses. Development 130:3951–3963. .
- 2006. Signaling from Smo to Ci/Gli: conservation and divergence of Hedgehog pathways from Drosophila to vertebrates. Development 133:3–14. , .
- 1995. Quantitative effects of hedgehog and decapentaplegic activity on the patterning of the Drosophila wing. Curr Biol 5:432–440. , .
- 2001. Hedgehog signaling in animal development: paradigms and principles. Genes Dev 15:3059–3087. , .
- 1991. Role of the Drosophila patched gene in positional signalling. Nature 353:184–187. , , .
- 2011. Mechanisms and functions of Hedgehog signalling across the metazoa. Nat Rev Genet 12:393–406. , , .
- 2009. Border-cell migration requires integration of spatial and temporal signals by the BTB protein Abrupt. Nat Cell Biol 11:569–579. , , , .
- 2010. Direct detection of guidance receptor activity during border cell migration. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 107:7323–7328. , , .
- 2005. Regulators of endocytosis maintain localized receptor tyrosine kinase signaling in guided migration. Dev Cell 9:197–207. , , , .
- 2009. Hedgehog signalling: emerging evidence for non-canonical pathways. Cell Signal 21:1023–1034. .
- 1995. patched overexpression alters wing disc size and pattern: transcriptional and post-transcriptional effects on hedgehog targets. Development 121:4161–4170. , , .
- 2004. The G12 family of heterotrimeric G proteins and Rho GTPase mediate Sonic hedgehog signalling. Genes Cells 9:49–58. , , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Selective modulation of Hedgehog/GLI target gene expression by epidermal growth factor signaling in human keratinocytes. Mol Cell Biol 26:6283–6298. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Hedgehog signaling pathway and gastric cancer. Cancer Biol Ther 4:1050–1054. , .
- 1992. Secretion and localized transcription suggest a role in positional signaling for products of the segmentation gene hedgehog. Cell 71:33–50. , , , .
- 1996. Two distinct roles for Ras in a developmentally regulated cell migration. Development 122:409–418. , , .
- 2012. The path to chemotaxis and transcription is smoothened. Sci Signal 5:pe35. , , .
- 1999. Identification of mutations that cause cell migration defects in mosaic clones. Development 126:1869–1878. , .
- 2008. JNK signaling controls border cell cluster integrity and collective cell migration. Curr Biol 18:538–544. , .
- 2003. Hedgehog signal transduction via Smoothened association with a cytoplasmic complex scaffolded by the atypical kinesin, Costal-2. Mol Cell 12:1261–1274. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Analysis of cell migration using Drosophila as a model system. Methods Mol Biol 294:175–202. , .
- 2003. PVF1, a PDGF/VEGF homolog, is sufficient to guide border cells and interacts genetically with Taiman. Development 130:3469–3478. , , .
- 2006. Multiple EGFR ligands participate in guiding migrating border cells. Dev Biol 296:94–103. , , , , .
- 2008. PAR-1 kinase regulates epithelial detachment and directional protrusion of migrating border cells. Curr Biol 18:1659–1667. , , , , .
- 2008. Regulation of cell adhesion and collective cell migration by hindsight and its human homolog RREB1. Curr Biol 18:532–537. , , , .
- 1999. Hedgehog controls limb development by regulating the activities of distinct transcriptional activator and repressor forms of Cubitus interruptus. Cell 96:819–831. , .
- 2004. Nucleocytoplasmic shuttling of STAT transcription factors. Eur J Biochem 271:4606–4612. , .
- 1992. slow border cells, a locus required for a developmentally regulated cell migration during oogenesis, encodes Drosophila C/EBP. Cell 71:51–62. , , .
- 2012. Group choreography: mechanisms orchestrating the collective movement of border cells. Nat Rev Mol Cell Biol 13:631–645. , , .
- 1995. The Drosophila cubitus interruptus protein and its role in the wingless and hedgehog signal transduction pathways. Mech Dev 52:137–150. , .
- 1996. Cell type-specific roles for Cdc42, Rac, and RhoL in Drosophila oogenesis. J Cell Biol 133:617–630. , .
- 1999. DE-Cadherin is required for intercellular motility during Drosophila oogenesis. J Cell Biol 144:533–547. , , .
- 2012. Automated screening of microtubule growth dynamics identifies MARK2 as a regulator of leading edge microtubules downstream of Rac1 in migrating cells. PLoS One 7:e41413. , , , , .
- 1980. Mutations affecting segment number and polarity in Drosophila. Nature 287:795–801. , .
- 2004. Regulation of Hedgehog signaling: a complex story. Biochem Pharmacol 67:805–814. , ., ,
- 2010. In vivo RNAi: today and tomorrow. Cold Spring Harb Perspect Biol 2:a003640. , , .
- 1990. The Drosophila segment polarity gene patched is involved in a position-signalling mechanism in imaginal discs. Development 110:105–114. , , , .
- 2004. Requirement for Par-6 and Bazooka in Drosophila border cell migration. Development 131:5243–5251. , .
- 2011. Heterotrimeric Gi proteins link Hedgehog signaling to activation of Rho small GTPases to promote fibroblast migration. J Biol Chem 286:19589–19596. , , , , , .
- 1996. Hedgehog patterning activity: role of a lipophilic modification mediated by the carboxy-terminal autoprocessing domain. Cell 86:21–34. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Cellular and molecular mechanisms of border cell migration analyzed using time-lapse live-cell imaging. Dev Cell 12:997–1005. , .
- 1999. Proteolysis of cubitus interruptus in Drosophila requires phosphorylation by protein kinase A. Development 126:4331–4339. , .
- 2002. Proteolysis of the Hedgehog signaling effector Cubitus interruptus requires phosphorylation by Glycogen Synthase Kinase 3 and Casein Kinase 1. Cell 108:823–835. , .
- 2010. I-BAR protein antagonism of endocytosis mediates directional sensing during guided cell migration. J Cell Biol 189:353–367. , , .
- 2007. Exploring strategies for protein trapping in Drosophila. Genetics 175:1089–1104. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1997. The smoothened gene and hedgehog signal transduction in Drosophila and vertebrate development. Cold Spring Harb Symp Quant Biol 62:217–226. , , , , , , .
- 1997. Control of compartmental affinity boundaries by hedgehog. Nature 389:614–618. , .
- 1998. Systematic gain-of-function genetics in Drosophila. Development 125: 1049–1057. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. The level of C/EBP protein is critical for cell migration during Drosophila oogenesis and is tightly controlled by regulated degradation. Mol Cell 6:23–30. , , .
- 1994. patched overexpression causes loss of wingless expression in Drosophila embryos. Dev Biol 164:300–311. , , .
- 2000. An extracellular activator of the Drosophila JAK/STAT pathway is a sex-determination signal element. Nature 405:970–973. , , , , .
- 2001. Paracrine signaling through the JAK/STAT pathway activates invasive behavior of ovarian epithelial cells in Drosophila. Cell 107:831–841. , .
- 2005. Requirement for JAK/STAT signaling throughout border cell migration in Drosophila. Development 132:3483–3492. , , .
- 2010. Hedgehog signaling pathway is activated in diffuse large B-cell lymphoma and contributes to tumor cell survival and proliferation. Leukemia 24:1025–1036. , , , , , , .
- 1993. Germline cysts: communes that work. Cell 72:649–651. .
- 2002. The art and design of genetic screens: Drosophila melanogaster. Nat Rev Genet 3:176–188. .
- 2011. Sequential phosphorylation of smoothened transduces graded hedgehog signaling. Sci Signal 4:ra43. , , , , , .
- 2007. Hindsight mediates the role of notch in suppressing hedgehog signaling and cell proliferation. Dev Cell 12:431–442. , .
- 2004. Patched controls the Hedgehog gradient by endocytosis in a dynamin-dependent manner, but this internalization does not play a major role in signal transduction. Development 131:2395–2408. , , .
- 2010. A mechanism for vertebrate Hedgehog signaling: recruitment to cilia and dissociation of SuFu-Gli protein complexes. J Cell Biol 191:415–428. , , .
- 1996. Zygotic Drosophila E-cadherin expression is required for processes of dynamic epithelial cell rearrangement in the Drosophila embryo. Genes Dev 10:659–671. , , , , , .
- 2004. Inducible production of interferon-gamma in the developing brain causes cerebellar dysplasia with activation of the Sonic hedgehog pathway. Mol Cell Neurosci 27:489–496. , , , .
- 2006. Analysis of cell migration using whole-genome expression profiling of migratory cells in the Drosophila ovary. Dev Cell 10:483–495. , , , , , , .
- 2010. Light-mediated activation reveals a key role for Rac in collective guidance of cell movement in vivo. Nat Cell Biol 12:591–597. , , , , .
- 1993. Analysis of genetic mosaics in developing and adult Drosophila tissues. Development 117:1223–1237. , .
- 2009. Sonic hedgehog guides axons through a noncanonical, Src-family-kinase-dependent signaling pathway. Neuron 62:349–362. , , , .
- 2010. Mechanisms of motility in metastasizing cells. Mol Cancer Res 8:629–642. , .
- 2000. Regulation of cell proliferation and patterning in Drosophila oogenesis by Hedgehog signaling. Development 127:2165–2176. , .
- 2001. Hedgehog acts as a somatic stem cell factor in the Drosophila ovary. Nature 410:599–604. , .
- 2003. Altered localization of Drosophila Smoothened protein activates Hedgehog signal transduction. Genes Dev 17: 1240–1252. , , , .