Lucimara Aparecida Sensiate and Débora R. Sobreira contributed equally to this work.
Patterns & Phenotypes
Dact gene expression profiles suggest a role for this gene family in integrating Wnt and TGF-β signaling pathways during chicken limb development
Version of Record online: 11 MAY 2013
Copyright © 2013 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Volume 243, Issue 3, pages 428–439, March 2014
How to Cite
Sensiate, L. A., Sobreira, D. R., Da Veiga, F. C., Peterlini, D. J., Pedrosa, A. V., Rirsch, T., Joazeiro, P. P., Schubert, F. R., Collares-Buzato, C. B., Xavier-Neto, J., Dietrich, S. and Alvares, L. E. (2014), Dact gene expression profiles suggest a role for this gene family in integrating Wnt and TGF-β signaling pathways during chicken limb development. Dev. Dyn., 243: 428–439. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.23948
This article appeared online February 15, 2013. A production error delayed publication in a monthly issue of the journal.
- Issue online: 18 FEB 2014
- Version of Record online: 11 MAY 2013
- Accepted manuscript online: 15 FEB 2013 08:53AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 27 JAN 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 20 DEC 2012
- Manuscript Received: 16 JUL 2012
- FAPESP. Grant Number: 2006/05892-3
- AFM (The Association Française Contre les Myopathies
- 2002. The transcription factor Sox9 has essential roles in successive steps of the chondrocyte differentiation pathway and is required for expression of Sox5 and Sox6. Genes Dev 16:2813–2828. , , , , .
- 2009. Chicken dapper genes are versatile markers for mesodermal tissues, embryonic muscle stem cells, neural crest cells, and neurogenic placodes. Dev Dyn 238:1166–1178. , , , , , , .
- 1994. Initial steps of myogenesis in somites are independent of influence from axial structures. Development 120:3073–3082. , , , , , , , .
- 2005a. Frodo proteins: modulators of Wnt signaling in vertebrate development. Differentiation 73:323–329. , .
- 2005b. A vertebrate homolog of the cell cycle regulator Dbf4 is an inhibitor of Wnt signaling required for heart development. Dev Cell 8:703–715. , .
- 2002. Dapper, a Dishevelled-associated antagonist of beta-catenin and JNK signaling, is required for notochord formation. Dev Cell 2:449–461. , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Analysis of the molecular cascade responsible for mesodermal limb chondrogenesis: Sox genes and BMP signaling. Dev Biol 257:292–301. , , , , , , .
- 2000. Cellular interactions and signaling in cartilage development. Osteoarthrit Cartil 8:309–334. , , .
- 1996a. Overexpression of BMP-2 and BMP-4 alters the size and shape of developing skeletal elements in the chick limb. Mech Dev 57:145–157. , , , , , , .
- 1996b. Activation of Fgf-4 and HoxD gene expression by BMP-2 expressing cells in the developing chick limb. Development 122:1821–1828. , , , , .
- 2002. Wnt signaling during BMP-2 stimulation of mesenchymal chondrogenesis. J Cell Biochem 84:816–831. , , .
- 2006. Three Dact gene family members are expressed during embryonic development and in the adult brains of mice. Dev Dyn 235:2620–2630. , , , , , , .
- 1999. Mechanisms of GDF-5 action during skeletal development. Development 126:1305–1315. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1996. Role of TGF beta s and BMPs as signals controlling the position of the digits and the areas of interdigital cell death in the developing chick limb autopod. Development 122:2349–2357. , , , , .
- 2008. Dapper1 is a nucleocytoplasmic shuttling protein that negatively modulates Wnt signaling in the nucleus. J Biol Chem 283:35679–35688. , , , , , , .
- 2004. Two Frodo/Dapper homologs are expressed in the developing brain and mesoderm of zebrafish. Dev Dyn 230:403–409. , , , , .
- 2002. Frodo interacts with Dishevelled to transduce Wnt signals. Nat Cell Biol 4:351–357. , , .
- 1994. Regulation of Pax-3 expression in the dermomyotome and its role in muscle development. Development 120:957–971. , , .
- 1992 (1951). A series of normal stages in the development of the chick embryo. Dev Dyn 195:231–272. , .
- 2000. Dual roles of Wnt signaling during chondrogenesis in the chicken limb. Development 127:3141–3159. , .
- 2001. Wnt-14 plays a pivotal role in inducing synovial joint formation in the developing appendicular skeleton. Cell 104:341–351. , .
- 1996. Expression of the chicken Sox9 gene marks the onset of cartilage differentiation. Ann NY Acad Sci 785:261–262. , ,
- 2004. The involvement of Frodo in TCF-dependent signaling and neural tissue development. Development 131:4725–4734. , .
- 2012. Epigenetic regulation of DACT2, a key component of the Wnt signaling pathway in human lung cancer. J Pathol. , , , , , .
- 2008. DACT3 is an epigenetic regulator of Wnt/beta-catenin signaling in colorectal cancer and is a therapeutic target of histone modifications. Cancer Cell 13:529–541. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. A Tcf4-positive mesodermal population provides a prepattern for vertebrate limb muscle patterning. Dev Cell 5:937–944. , , .
- 2001. WNT signals control FGF-dependent limb initiation and AER induction in the chick embryo. Cell 104:891–900. , , , , , .
- 2010. Dact1–3 mRNAs exhibit distinct expression domains during tooth development. Gene Expr Patterns 10:140–143. , , , , , .
- 2011. All Dact (Dapper/Frodo) scaffold proteins dimerize and exhibit conserved interactions with Vangl, Dvl, and serine/threonine kinases. BMC Biochem 12:33. , , .
- 1989. Fibronectin gene expression during limb cartilage differentiation. Development 106:449–455. , , .
- 2000. Cloning and expression of the Wnt antagonists Sfrp-2 and Frzb during chick development. Dev Biol 218:183–98. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Dact1, a nutritionally regulated preadipocyte gene, controls adipogenesis by coordinating the Wnt/beta-catenin signaling network. Diabetes 58:609–619. , , , , , , , , , , ,
- 2010. Dact2 is expressed in the developing ureteric bud/collecting duct system of the kidney and controls morphogenetic behavior of collecting duct cells. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 299:F740–751. , , , , , , .
- 2008. Accelerated re-epithelialization in Dpr2-deficient mice is associated with enhanced response to TGFbeta signaling. J Cell Sci 121:2904–2912. , , , , , .
- 1998. Morphogenesis of digits in the avian limb is controlled by FGFs, TGFbetas, and noggin through BMP signaling. Dev Biol 200:35–45. , , , , , .
- 1999a. Control of digit formation by activin signalling. Development 126:2161–2170. , , , , , , , .
- 1999b. The BMP antagonist Gremlin regulates outgrowth, chondrogenesis and programmed cell death in the developing limb. Development 126:5515–5522. , , , , , .
- 1991. Embryonic gene expression patterns of TGF beta 1, beta 2 and beta 3 suggest different developmental functions in vivo. Development 111:131–143. , , , .
- 2008. Activin/TGFbeta and BMP crosstalk determines digit chondrogenesis. Dev Biol 321:343–356. , , , , .
- 1991. Characterization of a cDNA for chicken osteopontin: expression during bone development, osteoblast differentiation, and tissue distribution. Biochemistry 30:2501–2508. , , , .
- 2001. Sensitive nonradioactive detection of mRNA in tissue sections: novel application of the whole-mount in situ hybridization protocol. J Histochem Cytochem 49:1–8. , , , .
- 2002. Distinct regulatory cascades for head and trunk myogenesis. Development 129:573–583. , .
- 2007. Activator-inhibitor dynamics of vertebrate limb pattern formation. Birth Defects Res C Embryo Today 81:305–319. , .
- 1995. Induction of the LIM homeobox gene Lmx1 by WNT7a establishes dorsoventral pattern in the vertebrate limb. Cell 83:631–640. , , , , , .
- 2001. Analysis of the tendon cell fate using Scleraxis, a specific marker for tendons and ligaments. Development 128:3855–3866. , , , , , , , .
- 2010. Connecting muscles to tendons: tendons and musculoskeletal development in flies and vertebrates. Development 137:2807–2817. , , .
- 2001. Restricting Bmp-4 mediated apoptosis in hindbrain neural crest. Dev Dyn 220:276–283. , .
- 2006. Wnt9a signaling is required for joint integrity and regulation of Ihh during chondrogenesis. Development 133:3039–3049. , , , , , .
- 1999. GDF5 coordinates bone and joint formation during digit development. Dev Biol 209:11–27. , .
- 2009. Posterior malformations in Dact1 mutant mice arise through misregulated Vangl2 at the primitive streak. Nat Genet 41:977–985. , , , , .
- 2008. Wnt and FGF signals interact to coordinate growth with cell fate specification during limb development. Development 135:3247–3257. , , , .
- 2009. Dpr Acts as a molecular switch, inhibiting Wnt signaling when unphosphorylated, but promoting Wnt signaling when phosphorylated by casein kinase Idelta/epsilon. PLoS One 4:e5522. , , .
- 2009. Sox9 inhibits Wnt signaling by promoting beta-catenin phosphorylation in the nucleus. J Biol Chem 284:3323–3333. , , , , .
- 2003. Zfhx1a and Zfhx1b mRNAs have non-overlapping expression domains during chick and mouse midgestation limb development. Gene Expr Patterns 3:39–42. , , , , .
- 1996. Regulation of rate of cartilage differentiation by Indian hedgehog and PTH-related protein. Science 273:613–622. , , , , , .
- 2004. Zebrafish Dapper1 and Dapper2 play distinct roles in Wnt-mediated developmental processes. Development 131:5909–5921. , , , .
- 2005. Gene expression and digit homology in the chicken embryo wing. Evol Dev 7:18–28. , , , .
- 1993. Adhesion molecules in skeletogenesis: II. Neural cell adhesion molecules mediate precartilaginous mesenchymal condensations and enhance chondrogenesis. J Cell Physiol 156:399–411. , , , .
- 2009. Comprehensive expression analysis of all Wnt genes and their major secreted antagonists during mouse limb development and cartilage differentiation. Gene Expr Patterns 9:215–223. , , , , .
- 2010. Receptor tyrosine kinase-like orphan receptor 2 (ROR2) and Indian hedgehog regulate digit outgrowth mediated by the phalanx-forming region. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 107:14211–14216. , , , , .
- 2010. Cigarette smoke induces C/EBP-beta-mediated activation of miR-31 in normal human respiratory epithelia and lung cancer cells. PLoS One 5:e13764. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. A Wnt5a pathway underlies outgrowth of multiple structures in the vertebrate embryo. Development 126:1211–1223. , , , .
- 1995. Interaction between the signaling molecules WNT7a and SHH during vertebrate limb development: dorsal signals regulate anteroposterior patterning. Cell 80:939–947. , .
- 2003 Wnt5a and Wnt5b exhibit distinct activities in coordinating chondrocyte proliferation and differentiation. Development 130:1003–1015. , , ,
- 2005. HDPR1, a novel inhibitor of the WNT/beta-catenin signaling, is frequently downregulated in hepatocellular carcinoma: involvement of methylation-mediated gene silencing. Oncogene 24:1607–1614. , , , , , , .
- 2004. Zebrafish Dpr2 inhibits mesoderm induction by promoting degradation of nodal receptors. Science 306:114–117. , , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Dapper 1 antagonizes Wnt signaling by promoting dishevelled degradation. J Biol Chem 281:8607–8612. , , , , .
- 1996. Requirement for BMP signaling in interdigital apoptosis and scale formation. Science 272:738–741. , .