†Jez Huang and Michel Arsenault contributed equally to this work.
Patterns & Phenotypes
The transcription factor sry-related HMG box-4 (SOX4) is required for normal renal development in vivo
Version of Record online: 29 APR 2013
Copyright © 2013 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Volume 242, Issue 6, pages 790–799, June 2013
How to Cite
Huang, J., Arsenault, M., Kann, M., Lopez-Mendez, C., Saleh, M., Wadowska, D., Taglienti, M., Ho, J., Miao, Y., Sims, D., Spears, J., Lopez, A., Wright, G. and Hartwig, S. (2013), The transcription factor sry-related HMG box-4 (SOX4) is required for normal renal development in vivo. Dev. Dyn., 242: 790–799. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.23971
- Issue online: 20 MAY 2013
- Version of Record online: 29 APR 2013
- Accepted manuscript online: 5 APR 2013 12:00AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 28 MAR 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 22 MAR 2013
- Manuscript Received: 14 AUG 2012
- Kidney Foundation of Canada, CIHR, Kidney Research Education and National Training Program (KRESCENT). Grant Number: 615368
Vol. 244, Issue 4, 628, Version of Record online: 16 MAR 2015
- 2011. Unraveling the transcriptional regulatory machinery in chondrogenesis. J Bone Miner Metab 29:390–395. , .
- 2003. Multipotent cell lineages in early mouse development depend on SOX2 function. Genes & Develop 17:126–140. , , , , , .
- 2011. Sequentially acting sox transcription factors in neural lineage development. Genes Dev 25:2453–2464. , , , , , .
- 2010. Organogenesis relies on SoxC transcription factors for the survival of neural and mesenchymal progenitors. Nat Commun 1:9. , , , , , , , , .
- 2011. FGF/EGF signaling regulates the renewal of early nephron progenitors during embryonic development. Development 138:5099–5112. , , , , , .
- 2010. MIQE precis: practical implementation of minimum standard guidelines for fluorescence-based quantitative real-time PCR experiments. BMC Mol Biol 11:74. , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Vertebrate neurogenesis is counteracted by Sox1–3 activity. Nat Neurosci 6:1162–1168. , , , .
- 2012. Heterogeneity across the dorso-ventral axis in zebrafish EVL is regulated by a novel module consisting of sox, snail1a and max genes. Mech Dev 129:13–23. , , , , .
- TB Trials Study Group. 2010. Comparison of different standards for real-time PCR-based absolute quantification. J Immunol Methods 354:34–39. , , ,
- 2008. The three SoxC proteins—Sox4, Sox11 and Sox12—exhibit overlapping expression patterns and molecular properties. Nucleic Acids Res 36:3101–3117. , , , , , .
- 1996. Wild-type p53 transgenic mice exhibit altered differentiation of the ureteric bud and possess small kidneys. Genes Dev 10:836–850. , , , , , .
- 2010. Genomic characterization of wilms' tumor suppressor 1 targets in nephron progenitor cells during kidney development. Development 137:1189–1203. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2011. The pro-apoptotic protein bim is a microRNA target in kidney progenitors. J Am Soc Nephrol 22:1053–1063. , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Sox12 deletion in the mouse reveals nonreciprocal redundancy with the related Sox4 and Sox11 transcription factors. Mol Cell Biol 28:4675–4687. , , , , , .
- 2011. Distribution of volumes of individual glomeruli in kidneys at autopsy: association with physical and clinical characteristics and with ethnic group. Am J Nephrol 33(Suppl 1):15–20. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Glomerular number and size in autopsy kidneys: The relationship to birth weight. Kidney Int 63:2113–2122. , , , , .
- 2009. Nck proteins maintain the adult glomerular filtration barrier. J Am Soc Nephrol 20:1533–1543. , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Distinct and sequential tissue-specific activities of the LIM-class homeobox gene Lim1 for tubular morphogenesis during kidney development. Development 132:2809–2823. , , , , , .
- 2008. Six2 defines and regulates a multipotent self-renewing nephron progenitor population throughout mammalian kidney development. Cell Stem Cell 3:169–181. , , , , , , .
- 1991. Male development of chromosomally female mice transgenic for sry. Nature 351:117–121. , , , , .
- 1999. Collapsing glomerulopathy in HIV and non-HIV patients: A clinicopathological and follow-up study. Kidney Int 56:2203–2213. , , .
- 2012. Mammalian kidney development: Principles, progress, and projections. Cold Spring Harb Perspect Biol. , .
- 1987. Glomerulosclerosis and renal cysts in mice transgenic for the early region of SV40. Kidney Int 32:827–837. , , , , .
- 1995. Fewer nephrons at birth: A missing link in the etiology of essential hypertension? Am J Kidney Dis 26:91–98. , .
- 2007. Pluripotency governed by Sox2 via regulation of Oct3/4 expression in mouse embryonic stem cells. Nat Cell Biol 9:625–635. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Nephron number: Variability is the rule. causes and consequences. Lab Invest 79:515–527. , , , , , .
- 2012. SoxC transcription factors are required for neuronal differentiation in adult hippocampal neurogenesis. J Neurosci 32:3067–3080. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2009. High-resolution gene expression analysis of the developing mouse kidney defines novel cellular compartments within the nephron progenitor population. Dev Biol 333:312–323. , , , .
- 2013. Direct regulation of nephrin tyrosine phosphorylation by nck adaptor proteins. J Biol Chem 288:1500–1510. , , .
- 2007. Osteopenia, decreased bone formation and impaired osteoblast development in Sox4 heterozygous mice. J Cell Sci 120:2785–2795. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- Pavelka M, Roth J, editor. 2005. Functional ultrastructure. An atlas of tissue biology and pathology. New York: Springer Wein. 326 p.
- 2007. Generation of mice harboring a Sox4 conditional null allele. Genesis 45:776–780. , , , .
- 2004. Quantification strategies in real-time PCR. In: Bustin SA, editor. A–Z of quantitative PCR. La Jolla, CA, USA: International University Line. p 87–112. .
- 1999. How they begin and how they end: Classic and new theories for the development and deterioration of congenital anomalies of the kidney and urinary tract, CAKUT. J Am Soc Nephrol 10:2018–2028. , , , , .
- 2009. The kidney from prenatal to adult life: perinatal programming and reduction of number of nephrons during development. Am J Nephrol 30:162–170. , , , .
- 2010. Molecular anatomy of the kidney: What have we learned from gene expression and functional genomics?. Pediatr Nephrol 25:1005–1016. , , , .
- 1987. Early organogenesis of the kidney. Pediatr Nephrol 1:385–92. , .
- 1996. Defects in cardiac outflow tract formation and pro-B-lymphocyte expansion in mice lacking sox-4. Nature 380:711–714. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Sox-4 facilitates thymocyte differentiation. Eur J Immunol 27:1292–1295. , , , .
- 2003. Collapsing glomerulopathy. Semin Nephrol 23:209–218. , , , .
- 2006. Six2 is required for suppression of nephrogenesis and progenitor renewal in the developing kidney. EMBO J 25:5214–5228. , , , , , , .
- 2012. Cis-regulatory control of corticospinal system development and evolution. Nature 486:74–79. , , , , .
- 2004. Gene targeting reveals a widespread role for the high-mobility-group transcription factor Sox11 in tissue remodeling. Mol Cell Biol 24:6635–6644. , , , , , .
- 2006. SOX2 is a dose-dependent regulator of retinal neural progenitor competence. Genes Dev 20:1187–1202. , , , , , , .
- 2011. Hypertension in chronic kidney disease: Navigating the evidence. Int J Hypertens. , , , .
- 2010. The closely related transcription factors Sox4 and Sox11 function as survival factors during spinal cord development. J Neurochem 115:131–141. , , , , , , .
- 2010. Congenital anomalies of kidney and urinary tract. Semin Nephrol 30:374–386. , , , .
- 2006. Nck links nephrin to actin in kidney podocytes. Cell 125:221–224. , , .
- 2004. The major podocyte protein nephrin is transcriptionally activated by the wilms' tumor suppressor WT1. J Am Soc Nephrol 15:3044–3051. , , , , .
- 1994. Autosomal sex reversal and campomelic dysplasia are caused by mutations in and around the SRY-related gene SOX9. Cell 79:1111–1120. .
- 2012. High nephron endowment protects against salt-induced hypertension. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 303:F253–258. , , , , , .
- 2012. Distinct lineage specification roles for NANOG, OCT4, and SOX2 in human embryonic stem cells. Cell Stem Cell 10:440–454. , , , , .
- 2012. Novel genetic aspects of congenital anomalies of kidney and urinary tract. Curr Opin Pediatr 24:212–218. .
- 2005. The HMG box transcription factor Sox4 contributes to the development of the endocrine pancreas. Diabetes 54:3402–3409. , , , , , , , , , , .