Drs. Hui and Managhan contributed equally to this work.
Expression pattern of Nogo-A, MAG, and NgR in regenerating urodele spinal cord
Article first published online: 3 JUN 2013
Copyright © 2013 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Volume 242, Issue 7, pages 847–860, July 2013
How to Cite
Hui, S. P., Monaghan, J. R., Voss, S. R. and Ghosh, S. (2013), Expression pattern of Nogo-A, MAG, and NgR in regenerating urodele spinal cord. Dev. Dyn., 242: 847–860. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.23976
- Issue published online: 17 JUN 2013
- Article first published online: 3 JUN 2013
- Accepted manuscript online: 17 APR 2013 04:18AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 28 MAR 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 26 MAR 2013
- Manuscript Received: 16 JAN 2013
- Department of Science and Technology, Government of India. Grant Number: SR/SO/AS-26/2004
- Department of Biotechnology, Government of India. Grant Number: DBT/BT/PR13953/AAQ/03/523/2010
- Kentucky Spinal Cord and Brain Injury Research Trust
- National Science Foundation
- 2006. Conserved and acquired features of adult neurogenesis in the zebrafish telencephalon. Dev Biol 295:278–293. , , , , , , , .
- 1998. E587 antigen is upregulated by gold fish oligodendrocytes after optic nerve lesion and supports retinal axon regeneration. Glia 23:257–270. , , , .
- 2011. Sox2(+) adult stem and progenitor cells are important for tissue regeneration and survival of mice. Cell Stem Cell 9:317–329. , , , , , , , , .
- 1991. Growth of regenerating goldfish axons is inhibited by rat oligodendrocytes and CNS myelin but not by goldfish optic nerve tract oligodendrocyte-like cells and fish CNS myelin. J Neurosci 11:626–640. , , , .
- 1982. Post injury myelin breakdown products inhibit axonal growth: a hypothesis to explain the failure of axonal regeneration in the mammalian central nervous system. Bibl Anat 23:1–11. .
- 2011. ZFIN: enhancements and updates to the Zebrafish Model Organism Database. Nucleic Acids Res 39:D822–D829. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Nogo-Nogo receptor signalling in PNS axon outgrowth and pathfinding. Mol Cell Neurosci 40:401–409. , .
- 2005. Inhibition of Nogo: a key strategy to increase regeneration, plasticity and functional recovery of the lesioned central nervous system. Ann Med 37:556–567. , .
- 2004. Rho and Rac take center stage. Cell 116:167–179. , .
- 2010. MAG and OMgp synergize with Nogo-A to restrict axonal growth and neurological recovery after spinal cord trauma. J Neurosci 30:6825–6837. , , , .
- 1988. Two membrane protein fractions from rat central myelin with inhibitory properties for neurite outgrowth. J Cell Biol 106:1281–1288. , .
- 2000. Nogo-A is a myelin-associated neurite outgrowth inhibitor and an antigen for monoclonal antibody IN-1. Nature 403:434–439. , , , , , , , .
- 1996. Spinal cord regeneration: a phenomenon unique to urodeles? Int J Dev Biol 40:823–831. .
- 2003. Urodele spinal cord regeneration and related processes. Dev Dyn 226:295–307. , , , .
- 2005. Analysis of the reticulon gene family demonstrates the absence of the neurite growth inhibitor Nogo-A in fish. Mol Biol Evol 22:1635–1648. , , , , , , .
- 2002. Myelin associated glycoprotein interacts with Nogo-66 receptor to inhibit neurite outgrowth. Neuron 35:283–290. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. FGF signalling and blastema growth during amphibian tail regeneration. Int J Dev Biol 45:S127–S128. , , , .
- 2004. Sox2 deficiency causes neurodegeneration and impaired neurogenesis in the adult mouse brain. Development 131:3805–3819. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Identification of a receptor mediating Nogo-66 inhibition of axonal regeneration. Nature 409:341–346. , , .
- 2006. Nogo-A specific antibody treatment enhances sproutin and functional recovery after cervical lesion in adult primates. Nat Med 12:790–792. , , , , , , .
- 2012. Spinal cord regeneration in Xenopus tadpoles proceeds through activation of Sox2 positive cells. Neural Dev 7:13. , , , , , , , .
- 2003. SOX2 functions to maintain neural progenitor identity. Neuron 39:749–765. , , , .
- 2000. Identification of the Nogo inhibitor of axon regeneration as a reticulon protein. Nature 403:439–444. , , , .
- 2002. Patterns of Nogo mRNA and protein expression in the developing and adult rat and after CNS lesions. J Neurosci 22:3553–3567. , , , , .
- 2010. Cellular response after crush injury in adult zebrafish spinal cord. Dev Dyn 239:2962–2979. , , .
- 1979. Animal Tissue techniques. New York: WH Freeman & Co.
- 2002. The Nogo receptor, its ligands and axonal regeneration in the spinal cord; a review. J Neurocytol 31:93–120. , , .
- 2003. Nogo-A expression in the intact and injured nervous system. Mol Cell Neurosci 24:1083–1102. , , , , .
- 1991. Retinoic acid stimulates neurite outgrowth in the amphibian spinal cord. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 88:3666–3670. , , , , .
- 2011. SOX2 expression levels distinguish between neural progenitor populations of the developing dorsal telencephalon. Dev Biol 352:40–47. , .
- 2004. Identification of Nogo-66 receptor (NgR) and homologous genes in fish. Mol Biol Evol 21:76–85. , , , , , .
- 1953. A method for the combined staining of cells and fibres in the nervous system. J Neuropath Exp Neurol 12:400–403. , .
- 2002. Oligodendrocyte-myelin glycoprotein (OMgp) is an inhibitor of neurite outgrowth. J Neurochem 82:1566–1569. , , , , , , .
- 2001. Predicting transmembrane protein topology with a hidden Markov model: application to complete genomes. J Mol Biol 305:567–580. , , , .
- 1995. CNS myelin and oligodendrocytes of the Xenopus spinal cord-but not optic nerve-are nonpermissive for axon growth. J Neurosci 15:99–109. , , , .
- 2010. Assessing spinal axon regeneration and sprouting in Nogo-, MAG-, and OMgp-deficient mice. Neuron 66:663–670. , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Identification of a transient subpial neurogenic zone in the developing dentate gyrus and its regulation by Cxcl12 and reelin signaling. Development 136:327–335. , , , .
- 2009. Sox2 plays a role in the induction of amacrine and Müller glial cells in mouse retinal progenitor cells. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 50:68–74. , , , .
- 2002. Myelin-associated glycoprotein as a functional ligand for the Nogo-66 receptor. Science 297:1190–1193. , , , .
- 2006. Extracellular regulators of axonal growth in the adult central nervous system. Phil Trans R Soc Lond B 361:1593–1610. , , , .
- 2003. The Nogo–66 receptor: focusing myelin inhibition of axon regeneration. Trends Neurosci 26:193–198. , .
- 2007. A clonal analysis of neural progenitors during axolotl spinal cord regeneration reveals evidence for both spatially restricted and multipotent progenitors. Development 134:2083–2093. , , , .
- 1994. Identification of myelin associated glycoprotein as a major myelin-derived inhibitor of neurite growth. Neuron 13:805–811. , , .
- 2012. Reconstitution of the central and peripheral nervous system during salamander tail regeneration. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 109:E2258–E2266. , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Molecular analysis of Nogo expression in the hippocampus during development and following lesion and seizure. FASEB J 17:1153–1155. , , , , , .
- 2012. Visualization of retinoic acid signaling in transgenic axolotls during limb development and regeneration. Dev Biol 368:63–75. , .
- 2002. BrdU-, neuroD (nrd)- and Hu-studies reveal unusual non-ventricular neurogenesis in the postembryonic zebrafish forebrain. Mech Dev 117:123–135. , .
- 1998. The central nervous system of vertebrates. Vol. 2, Chapter 18. Berlin: Springer-Verlag. p 1045–1115. , , .
- 1992. Reorganization of the ependyma during axolotl spinal cord regeneration: changes in intermediate filament and fibronectin expression. Dev Dyn 193:103–115. , , .
- 2004. Nogo and Nogo-66 receptor in human and chick: implications for development and regeneration. Dev Dyn 231:109–121. , , .
- 2003. Nogo-A inhibits neurite outgrowth and cell spreading with three discrete regions. J Neurosci 23:5393–5406. , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2010. p75NTR-dependent, myelin-mediated axonal degeneration regulates neural connectivity in the adult brain. Nat Neurosci 13:559–566. , , , , .
- 2011. Neuronal Nogo-A regulates glutamate receptor subunit expression in hippocampal neurons. J Neurochem 119:1183–1193. , , , , .
- 2012. The role of Nogo–A in axonal plasticity, regrowth and repair. Cell Tissue Res 349:97–104. , .
- 2011. Adult spinal cord radial glia display a unique progenitor phenotype. PLoS One 6:e24538. , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Inhibitor of neurite outgrowth in humans. Nature 403:383–384. , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Neuronal expression of Nogo-A mRNA and protein during neurite outgrowth in the developing rat olfacotry system. Eur J Neurosci 22:2145–2158. , , , , , .
- 2010. Functions of Nogo proteins and their receptors in the nervous system. Nat Rev Neurosci 11:799–811. .
- 1988. Oligodendrocytes and CNS myelin are nonpermissive substrates for neurite outgrowth and fibroblast spreading in vitro. J Neurosci 8:2381–2393. , .
- 2011. Origin of Nogo-A by domain shuffling in an early jawed vertebrate. Mol Biol Evol 28:1363–1370. , , , .
- 2005. Sal-Site: integrating new and existing ambystomatid salamander research and informational resources. BMC Genomics 6:181. , , , , , , , , .
- 2011. Origin of amphibian and avian chromosomes by fission, fusion, and retention of ancestral chromosomes. Genome Res 21:1306–1312. , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Up-regulation of neural stem cell markers suggests the occurrence of dedifferentiation in regenerating spinal cord. Dev Genes Evol 213:625–630. , , .
- 2008. Localization of Nogo and its receptor in the optic pathway of mouse embryos. J Neurosci Res 86:1721–1733. , , , .
- 2010. Localization of an axon growth inhibitory molecule Nogo and its receptor in the spinal cord of mouse embryos. Brain Res 1306:8–17. , , , .
- 2002. Oligodendrocyte-myelin glycoprotein is a Nogo receptor ligand that inhibits neurite outgrowth. Nature 417:941–944. , , , , , , .
- 1999. From head to toes: the multiple facets of Sox proteins. Nucleic Acids Res 27:1409–1420. .
- 2006. Genetic mouse models for studying inhibitors of spinal axon regeneration. Trends Neurosci 29:640–646. , , .