Authors' contributions: LAS undertook dissection, immunocytochemistry, confocal imaging, manuscript writing and intellectual contribution and design. GMD undertook dissection, immunocytochemistry and confocal imaging. KEM undertook dissection, RNA in situ hybridisation, confocal imaging. JJ undertook sample processing and imaging for EM. MK undertook sample processing and imaging for SEM. AB undertook sample processing, OPT imaging and image processing. LM undertook dissection, immunocytochemistry, histological analysis. MGD conceived the study, undertook dissection, immunocytochemistry, confocal imaging manuscript writing and intellectual contribution.
Failure of centrosome migration causes a loss of motile cilia in talpid3 mutants
Article first published online: 11 JUN 2013
Copyright © 2013 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Volume 242, Issue 8, pages 923–931, August 2013
How to Cite
Stephen, L. A., Davis, G. M., Mcteir, K. E., James, J., Mcteir, L., Kierans, M., Bain, A. and Davey, M. G. (2013), Failure of centrosome migration causes a loss of motile cilia in talpid3 mutants. Dev. Dyn., 242: 923–931. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.23980
Competing interests: The authors do not have any competing interests.
- Issue published online: 17 JUL 2013
- Article first published online: 11 JUN 2013
- Accepted manuscript online: 24 APR 2013 12:00AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 13 APR 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 26 MAR 2013
- BBSRC. Grant Numbers: BB/F024347/1, BB/G000816/1
- 2012. Biciliated ependymal cell proliferation contributes to spinal cord growth. J Comp Neurol 520:3528–3552. , , , , .
- 2010. Identification of genes downstream of the Shh signalling in the developing chick wing and syn-expressed with Hoxd13 using microarray and 3D computational analysis. Mech Dev 127:428–441. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2011. Generation of mice with functional inactivation of talpid3, a gene first identified in chicken. Development 138:3261–3272. , , , , , , .
- 2005. Dysfunctional cilia lead to altered ependyma and choroid plexus function, and result in the formation of hydrocephalus. Development 132:5329–5339. , , , , , , , , .
- 2011. Targeted mutation of the talpid3 gene in zebrafish reveals its conserved requirement for ciliogenesis and Hedgehog signalling across the vertebrates. Development 138:4969–4978. , , , ,
- 2011. Primary cilia control telencephalic patterning and morphogenesis via Gli3 proteolytic processing. Development 138:2079–2088. , , , , , , .
- 2012. The roof plate boundary is a bi-directional organiser of dorsal neural tube and choroid plexus development. Development 139:4261–4270. , , , , .
- 2004. Craniofacial development in the talpid3 chicken mutant. Differentiation 72:348–362. , , , , , , .
- 1937. The development of the cerebrospinal fluid spaces and choroid plexuses in the chick. J Anat 72:23–53. , .
- 2010. Foxj1 regulates floor plate cilia architecture and modifies the response of cells to sonic hedgehog signalling. Development 137:4271–4282. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2006. The chicken talpid3 gene encodes a novel protein essential for Hedgehog signaling. Genes Dev 20:1365–1377. , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Analysis of talpid3 and wild-type chicken embryos reveals roles for Hedgehog signalling in development of the limb bud vasculature. Dev Biol 301:155–165. , , , , .
- 2007. Centriole/basal body morphogenesis and migration during ciliogenesis in animal cells. J Cell Sci 120:7–15. , , .
- 2007. The ciliary gene RPGRIP1L is mutated in cerebello-oculo-renal syndrome (Joubert syndrome type B) and Meckel syndrome. Nature Genet 39:875–881. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1966. Ultrastructural cilia and basal bodies of the epithelium of the choroid plexus in the chick embryo. J Cell Biol 29:333–345. , .
- 2001. Development of the choroid plexus. Microsc Res Tech 20:5–20. , , , .
- 1964. Developmental abnormalities in the head region of the talpid mutant of the fowl. J Embryol Exp Morphol 12:161–182. ,
- 2007. Cilia and developmental signaling. Annu Rev Cell Dev Biol 23:345–373. , .
- 1981. The development of the diencephalic choroid plexus in the chick. A scanning electron-microscopic study. Cell Tissue Res 219:297–311. .
- 1983. Regional surface changes during the development of the telencephalic choroid plexus in the chick. Cell Tissue Res 231:251–263. .
- 2002. Conserved function for embryonic nodal cilia. Nature 418:37–38. , , , , , .
- 2009. Cell movements at Hensen's node establish left/right asymmetric gene expression in the chick. Science 324:941–944. , , , , .
- 1998. The hem of the embryonic cerebral cortex is defined by the expression of multiple Wnt genes and is compromised in Gli3-deficient mice. Development 125:2315–2325. , , , .
- 1951. A series of normal stages in the development of the chick embryo. J Morphol 88:49–92. , .
- 2008. The genetics of early telencephalon patterning: some assembly required. Nature Rev Neurosci 9:678–685. , .
- 2011. Ciliopathies. N Engl J Med 364:1533–1543. , , , .
- 2005. Cilia and Hedgehog responsiveness in the mouse. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 102:11325–11330. , .
- 2011. Ciliogenesis: building the cell's antenna. Nature Rev Mol Cell Biol 12:222–234. , .
- 2003. A disrupted balance between Bmp/Wnt and Fgf signaling underlies the ventralization of the Gli3 mutant telencephalon. Dev Biol 260:484–495. , , .
- 1997. The winged helix transcription factor HFH-4 is expressed during choroid plexus epithelial development in the mouse embryo. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 94:3094–3099. , , .
- 2008. Cholangiocyte primary cilia in liver health and disease. Dev Dyn 237:2007–2012. , , .
- 2003. Two populations of node monocilia initiate left-right asymmetry in the mouse. Cell 114:61–73. , , , , .
- 1996. In situ hybridization analysis of chick embryos in whole mount and tissue sections. Methods Cell Biol 219–235. , , .
- 2012. Ciliary activity in the oviduct of cycling, pregnant, and muscarinic receptor knockout mice. Biol Reprod 86:120. , , , .
- 1992. Centrosome organization their sensitivity and centriole architecture: to divalent cations. J Struct Biol 128:107–128. , , , .
- 2009. The UNI1 and UNI2 genes function in the transition of triplet to doublet microtubules between the centriole and cilium in chlamydomonas. Mol Biol Cell 20:368–378. , .
- 2007. Overview of structure and function of mammalian cilia. Annu Rev Physiol 69:377–400. , .
- 2012. Multicilin promotes centriole assembly and ciliogenesis during multiciliate cell differentiation. Nature Cell Biol 14:140–147. , , , .
- 1979. A morphological study of the development of the mouse choroid plexus. J Anat 129:777–793. .
- 2009. Mechanisms underlying the specification, positional regulation, and function of the cortical hem. Cerebral Cortex 19 Suppl 1:i90–i95. , .
- 2013. Centriole distal appendages promote membrane docking, leading to cilia initiation. Genes Dev 27:163–168. , , , , , , .
- 1999. Gli3 is required for Emx gene expression during dorsal telencephalon development. Development 126:3561–3571. , , .
- 2007. Ftm is a novel basal body protein of cilia involved in Shh signalling. Development 134:2569–2577. , , , , .
- 2007. Molecular characterization of centriole assembly in ciliated epithelial cells. J Cell Biol 178:31–42. , .
- 2006. The transcription factors Emx1 and Emx2 suppress choroid plexus development and promote neuroepithelial cell fate. Dev Biol 296:239–252. , , .
- 2009. The Talpid3 gene (KIAA0586) encodes a centrosomal protein that is essential for primary cilia formation. Development 136:655–664. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Foxj1 transcription factors are master regulators of the motile ciliogenic program. Nature Genet 40:1445–1453. , , , .