Stefanie Krück and Johanna Nesemann contributed equally to this work.
Development of somites, muscle, and skeleton is independent of signals from the wolffian duct
Version of Record online: 11 JUN 2013
Copyright © 2013 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Volume 242, Issue 8, pages 941–948, August 2013
How to Cite
Krück, S., Nesemann, J. and Scaal, M. (2013), Development of somites, muscle, and skeleton is independent of signals from the wolffian duct. Dev. Dyn., 242: 941–948. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.23986
- Issue online: 17 JUL 2013
- Version of Record online: 11 JUN 2013
- Accepted manuscript online: 16 MAY 2013 12:00AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 1 MAY 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 16 APR 2013
- Manuscript Received: 22 FEB 2013
- Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft. Grant Numbers: SFB592, GRK1104
- 1988. Determination of somite cells: independence of cell differentiation and morphogenesis. Development 104:15–28. , .
- 1965. Further research concerning the role of the Wolffian duct in the differentiation of the mesonephros in the chick embryo. J Embryol Exp Morphol 14:239–245. .
- 2002. Nephric lineage specification by Pax2 and Pax8. Genes Dev 16:2958–2970. , , , , .
- 1924. An experimental study of the development of the avian cloaca, with special reference to a mechanical factor in the growth of the allantois. J Exp Zool 40:437–471. .
- 1927. Experimental obstruction of the mesonephric ducts. Proc Soc Exp Biol Med 24:572–576. .
- 1995. Paraxis: a basic helix-loop-helix protein expressed in paraxial mesoderm and developing somites. Dev Biol 168:296–306. , , , .
- 2004. Formation and differentiation of the avian sclerotome. Anat Embryol (Berl) 208:333–350. , , .
- 2007. Amniote somite derivatives. Dev Dyn 236:2382–2396. , , .
- 1988. Pax 1, a member of a paired box homologous murine gene family, is expressed in segmented structures during development. Cell 53:617–625. , , .
- 1990. Pax2, a new murine paired-box-containing gene and its expression in the developing excretory system. Development 109:787–795. , , , , .
- 1995. Pax-1, a regulator of sclerotome development is induced by notochord and floor plate signals in avian embryos. Anat Embryol 191:297–310. , , , , , , .
- 1997. The developmental expression of choline acetyltransferase (ChAT) and the neuropeptide VIP in chick sympathetic neurons: evidence for different regulatory events in cholinergic differentiation. Mech Dev 68:115–126. , , .
- 1992. A growth-promoting influence from the mesonephros during limb outgrowth. Dev Biol 151:242–250. , .
- 2009. The PAX258 gene subfamily: a comparative perspective. Dev Dyn 238:2951–2974. , .
- 1991. Pax-3, a novel murine DNA binding protein expressed during early neurogenesis. EMBO J 10:1135–1147. , , , , .
- 1951. A series of normal stages in the development of the chick embryo. J Morphol 88:49–92. , .
- 2003. Origin and development of the pronephros in the chick embryo. J Anat 203:539–552. , .
- 1944. Experimental studies on the development of the pronephros. Rev Can Biol 3:220–250. .
- 1978. Experimental investigations on the excretory system in early chicken embryos. Morphological Congress Symposia, Charles University Prague 19:219–225. , .
- 2003. Patterning of the avian intermediate mesoderm by lateral plate and axial tissues. Dev Biol 253:109–124. , .
- 2009. Development and morphogenesis of the Wolffian/epididymal duct, more twists and turns. Dev Biol 325:6–14. , , .
- 1999. Plasticity of axial identity among somites: cranial somites can generate vertebrae without expressing Hox genes appropriate to the trunk. Dev Biol 216:507–520. , .
- 2012. Divergent regulation of Wnt-mediated development of the dorsomedial and ventrolateral dermomyotomal lips. Histochem Cell Biol 138:503–514. , .
- 2000. Kidney morphogenesis: cellular and molecular regulation. Mech Dev 92:31–45. , , .
- 2002. Somite patterning: a few more pieces of the puzzle. Results Prob Cell Differ 38:81–108. , , .
- 2000. Signals from trunk paraxial mesoderm induce pronephros formation in chick intermediate mesoderm. Dev Biol 220:62–75. , , , , .
- 2005. Arthrotome: A specific joint forming compartment in the avian somite. Dev Dyn 234:48–53. , , , , .
- 1996. Expression of avian Pax1 and Pax9 is intrinsically regulated in the pharyngeal endoderm, but depends on environmental influences in the paraxial mesoderm. Dev Biol 178:403–417. , , , , , , .
- 1996. In situ hybridization analysis of chick embryos in whole mount and tissue sections. Methods Cell Biol 51:219–235. , , .
- 1999. The surface ectoderm is essential for nephric duct formation in intermediate mesoderm. Development 126:1103–1108. , , , .
- 1995. Control of somite patterning by signals from the lateral plate. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 92:3219–3223. , , , .
- 1996. Lateral and axial signals involved in avian somite patterning: a role for BMP4. Cell 84:461–471. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1962. Experimental embryology: a manual of techniques and procedures. Minneapolis: Burgess. .
- 1946. Histochemical tests for protein and aminoacids: the characterization of basic proteins. Stain Technol 21:5–18. .
- 1999. Developmental basis of pronephric defects in Xenopus body plan phenotypes. Dev Biol 215:233–242. , , , , .
- 1988. MyoD1: a nuclear phosphoprotein requiring a Myc homology region to convert fibroblasts to myoblasts. Science 242:405–411. , , , , , .
- 1995. Pax-2 controls multiple steps of urogenital development. Development 121:4057–4065. , , , .
- 1993. A new Pax gene, Pax-9, maps to mouse chromosome 12. Mamm Genome 4:354–358. , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Sclerotomal origin of smooth muscle cells in the wall of the avian dorsal aorta. Dev Dyn 236:2578–2585. , , , .