Drs. Weimer and Theobald contributed equally to this work.
Patterns & Phenotypes
Genome-wide expression analysis and EMX2 gene expression in embryonic myoblasts committed to diverse skeletal muscle fiber type fates
Article first published online: 24 JUN 2013
Copyright © 2013 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Volume 242, Issue 8, pages 1001–1020, August 2013
How to Cite
Weimer, K., Theobald, J., Campbell, K. S., Esser, K. A. and DiMario, J. X. (2013), Genome-wide expression analysis and EMX2 gene expression in embryonic myoblasts committed to diverse skeletal muscle fiber type fates. Dev. Dyn., 242: 1001–1020. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.23988
- Issue published online: 17 JUL 2013
- Article first published online: 24 JUN 2013
- Accepted manuscript online: 22 MAY 2013 12:00AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 7 MAY 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 24 APR 2013
- Manuscript Received: 12 NOV 2012
- NIH. Grant Number: AR058043
- 1982. Developmental appearance of myosin heavy and light chain isoforms in vivo and in vitro in chicken skeletal muscle. Dev Biol 93:508–518. , , .
- 2004. The B-cell maturation factor Blimp-1 specifies vertebrate slow-twitch muscle fiber identity in response to Hedgehog signaling. Nat Genet 36:88–93. , , , , , .
- 2011. Human teneurin-1 is a direct target of the homeobox transcription factor EMX2 at a novel alternate promoter. BMC Dev Biol 11:35. , , , , , .
- 2007a. Cellular heterogeneity during vertebrate skeletal muscle development. Dev Biol 308:281–293. , , .
- 2007b. Intrinsic phenotypic diversity of embryonic and fetal myoblasts is revealed by genome-wide gene expression analysis on purified cells. Dev Biol 304:633–651. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2010. Emx2 and Foxg1 inhibit gliogenesis and promote neurogenesis. Stem Cells 28:1206–1218. , , , , .
- 2009. NFAT isoforms control activity-dependent muscle fiber type specification. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 106:13335–13340. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Molecular dissection of DNA sequences and factors involved in slow muscle-specific transcription. Mol Cell Biol 21:8490–8503. , , , , , .
- 1990. Differentiation of fiber types in aneural musculature of the prenatal rat hindlimb. Dev Biol 138:275–295. , , , .
- 2010. Muscle fiber type specific induction of slow myosin heavy chain 2 gene expression by electrical stimulation. Exp Cell Res 316:1039–1049. , , .
- 1986. Myosin expression and specialization among the earliest muscle fibers of the developing avian limb. Dev Biol 113:238–254. , .
- 1996. Identification of separate slow and fast muscle precursor cells in vivo, prior to somite formation. Development 122:3371–3380. , , , .
- 1997. Both myoblast lineage and innervation determine fiber type and are required for expression of the slow myosin heavy chain 2 gene. Dev Biol 188:167–180. , .
- 1993. Myoblasts transferred to the limbs of embryos are committed to specific fibre fates. Nature 362:165–167. , , .
- 1991. A reevaluation of the role of innervation in primary and secondary myogenesis in developing chick muscle. Dev Biol 143:19–35. , .
- 2004. Six1 and Eya1 expression can reprogram adult muscle from the slow-twitch phenotype into the fast-twitch phenotype. Mol Cell Biol 24:6253–6267. , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Six1 and Six4 homeoproteins are required for Pax3 and MRF expression during myogenesis in the mouse embryo. Development 132:2235–2249. , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Sox6 is required for normal fiber type differentiation of fetal skeletal muscle in mice. Dev Dyn 236:2062–2076. , , .
- 2001. Emx2 promotes symmetric cell divisions and a multipotential fate in precursors from the cerebral cortex. Mol Cell Neurosci 18:485–502. , , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Multiple roles of mesenchymal beta-catenin during murine limb patterning. Development 133:1219–1229. , , , .
- 2010. Emx2 and early hair cell development in the mouse inner ear. Dev Biol 340:547–556. , , , , , .
- 1993. Selective accumulation of MyoD and myogenin mRNAs in fast and slow adult skeletal muscle is controlled by innervation and hormones. Development 118:1137–1147. , , , , , .
- 2009. Embryonic and fetal limb myogenic cells are derived from developmentally distinct progenitors and have different requirements for β-catenin. Genes Dev 23:997–1013. , , , , .
- 2004. Innervation-dependent and fiber type-specific transcriptional regulation of the slow myosin heavy chain 2 promoter in avian skeletal muscle fibers. Dev Dyn 231:292–302. , , , , .
- 2005. On the utility of pooling biological samples in microarray experiments. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 102:4252–4257. , , , , .
- 2008. Specification of vertebrate slow-twitch muscle fiber fate by the transcriptional regulator Blimp1. Dev Biol 324:226–235. , , , .
- 2002. Transcriptional co-activator PGC-1 alpha drives the formation of slow-twitch muscle fibres. Nature 418:797–801. , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Signaling pathways in activity-dependent fiber type plasticity in adult skeletal muscle. J Muscle Res Cell Motil 26:13–21. , , , .
- 2008. Avian pelvis originates from lateral plate mesoderm and its development requires signals from both ectoderm and paraxial mesoderm. Cell Tissue Res 331:595–604. , , .
- 2007. Identification of the circadian transcriptome in adult mouse skeletal muscle. Physiol Genomics 31:86–95. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2010. Nfix regulates fetal-specific transcription in developing skeletal muscle. Cell 140:554–566. , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1986a. Developmental regulation of the multiple myogenic cell lineages of the avian embryo. J Cell Biol 103:2197–2208. , .
- 1986b. Developmental origins of skeletal muscle fibers: clonal analysis of myogenic cell lineages based on expression of fast and slow myosin heavy chains. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 83:3860–3864. , .
- 1997. Defects of urogenital development in mice lacking Emx2. Development 124:1653–1664. , , , , .
- 1996. Roles of cell-autonomous mechanisms for differential expression of region-specific transcription factors in neuroepithelial cells. Development 122:2449–2464. , , , , , , , , .
- 2010. Six1 and Six4 gene expression is necessary to activate the fast-type muscle gene program in the mouse myotome. Dev Biol 338:168–182. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Calcineurin is necessary for the maintenance but not embryonic development of slow muscle fibers. Mol Cell Biol 25:6629–6638. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1972. A kinetic analysis of myogenesis in vitro. J Cell Biol 52:52–65. , .
- 2000. Remodeling muscles with calcineurin. Bioessays 22:510–519. , .
- 1992. Developmentally regulated expression of three slow isoforms of myosin heavy chain: diversity among the first fibers to form in avian muscle. Dev Biol 154:118–128. , , , , , .
- 2001. Agenesis of the scapula in Emx2 homozygous mutants. Dev Biol 232:149–156. , , , , .
- 2003. hMusTRD1alpha1 represses MEF2 activation of the troponin I slow enhancer. J Biol Chem 278:36603–36610. , , , , , , .
- 1985. Shortening velocity in single fibers from adult rabbit soleus muscles is correlated with myosin heavy chain composition. J Biol Chem 260:9077–9080. , , , .
- 1988. Myosin heavy chain composition of single cells from avian slow skeletal muscle is strongly correlated with velocity of shortening during development. Dev Biol 129:400–407. , , .
- 2011. Genesis of muscle fiber-type diversity during mouse embryogenesis relies on Six1 and Six4 gene expression. Dev Biol 359:303–320. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1996. Neural influence on slow muscle properties: inactivity with and without cross-reinnervation. Muscle Nerve 19:707–714. , , , .
- 2008. Persistence of motor unit and muscle fiber types in the presence of inactivity. J Exp Biol 211:1041–1049. , , , , , .
- 2007. Activity-dependent signaling pathways controlling muscle diversity and plasticity. Physiology 22:269–278. , , .
- 1992. Two vertebrate homeobox genes related to the Drosophila empty spiracles gene are expressed in the embryonic cerebral cortex. EMBO J 11:2541–2550. , , , , , .
- 1992. Myogenic cell lineages. Dev Biol 154:284–298. .
- 2011. Lineage-based primary muscle fiber type diversification independent of MEF2 and NFAT in chick embryos. J Muscle Res Cell Motil 31:369–381. , .
- 2006. The transcription factors Emx1 and Emx2 suppress choroid plexus development and promote neuroepithelial cell fate. Dev Biol 296:239–252. , , .
- 2008. Prdm1- and Sox6-mediated transcriptional repression specifies muscle fibre type in the zebrafish embryo. EMBO Rep 9:683–689. , , , , , .
- 1992. Empty spiracles, a gene containing a homeobox involved in Drosophila head development. EMBO J 11:2247–2259. , .
- 1996. Atrial chamber-specific expression of the slow myosin heavy chain 3 gene in the embryonic heart. J Biol Chem 271:19836–19845. , , , .