Patterns & Phenotypes
Morphogenetic analysis of peri-implantation development
Article first published online: 25 JUN 2013
Copyright © 2013 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Volume 242, Issue 9, pages 1110–1120, September 2013
How to Cite
Wallingford, M. C., Angelo, J. R. and Mager, J. (2013), Morphogenetic analysis of peri-implantation development. Dev. Dyn., 242: 1110–1120. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.23991
- Issue published online: 20 AUG 2013
- Article first published online: 25 JUN 2013
- Accepted manuscript online: 1 JUN 2013 03:06AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 19 MAY 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 7 MAY 2013
- Manuscript Received: 13 FEB 2013
- 2011. The primitive endoderm lineage of the mouse blastocyst: sequential transcription factor activation and regulation of differentiation by Sox17. Dev Biol 350:393–404. , , .
- 2003. Multipotent cell lineages in early mouse development depend on SOX2 function. Genes Dev 17:126–140. , , , , , .
- 1972. DNA synthesis in the preimplantation mouse embryo. J Embryol Exp Morphol 27:431–445. , , .
- 1949a. Embryo-endometrial interrelationship in the rat and guinea pig. Anat Rec 104:331–359. .
- 1949b. Observations on implantation of the guinea pig ovum. Anat Rec 103:19–47. .
- 1989. Genes for extracellular-matrix-degrading metalloproteinases and their inhibitor, TIMP, are expressed during early mammalian development. Genes Dev 3:848–859. , , , , .
- 2008. Dynamic GATA6 expression in primitive endoderm formation and maturation in early mouse embryogenesis. Dev Dyn 237:2820–2829. , , , , .
- 2003. Functional expression cloning of Nanog, a pluripotency sustaining factor in embryonic stem cells. Cell 113:643–655. , , , , , , .
- 2006. Early lineage segregation between epiblast and primitive endoderm in mouse blastocysts through the Grb2-MAPK pathway. Dev Cell 10:615–624. , , , .
- 1999. Expression of the T-box gene Eomesodermin during early mouse development. Mech Dev 81:199–203. , .
- 2010. Making the blastocyst: lessons from the mouse. J Clin Invest 120:995–1003. , .
- 1979. Interaction between inner cell mass and trophectoderm of the mouse blastocyst. II. The fate of the polar trophectoderm. J Embryol Exp Morphol 51:109–120. .
- 1981. The mechanism of mouse egg-cylinder morphogenesis in vitro. J Embryol Exp Morphol 61:277–287. .
- 1978. Effect of implantation delay on transfer of rat embryos to mice. J Reprod Fertil 52:119–121. , .
- 1993. Staging of gastrulating mouse embryos by morphological landmarks in the dissecting microscope. Development 118:1255–1266. , .
- 1995. Requirement of FGF-4 for postimplantation mouse development. Science 267:246–249. , , , , .
- 1967. A study of the early stages of implantation in mice. J Reprod Fertil 13:259–267. , .
- 2001. Cell adhesion in the preimplantation mammalian embryo and its role in trophectoderm differentiation and blastocyst morphogenesis. Front Biosci 6:D1000–D1007. , , .
- 2000. The human blastocyst regulates endometrial epithelial apoptosis in embryonic adhesion. Biol Reprod 63:430–439. , , , , , , , .
- 1980. Correlative scanning electron, transmission electron, and light microscopic studies of the in vitro development of mouse embryos on a plastic substrate at the implantation stage. J Embryol Exp Morphol 56:23–39. , .
- 2012. Differential plasticity of epiblast and primitive endoderm precursors within the ICM of the early mouse embryo. Development 139:129–139. , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Mapping and expression analysis of the mouse ortholog of Xenopus Eomesodermin. Mech Dev 81:205–208. , , , .
- 1971. Hormonal requirements for the uterine attachment reaction and blastocyst implantation in the mouse, hamster and guinea-pig. J Reprod Fertil 26:267–269. , .
- 1995. Attachment, outgrowth, invasion and formation of the egg cylinder in mouse half embryos in vitro. J Vet Med Sci 57:1015–1022. , , .
- 1994. Manipulating the mouse embryo. Cold Spring Harbor New York: Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press. , , , .
- 2009. GATA3 is selectively expressed in the trophectoderm of peri-implantation embryo and directly regulates Cdx2 gene expression. J Biol Chem 284:28729–28737. , , , , , .
- 2006. Profiling of E-cadherin, beta-catenin and Ca(2+) in embryo-uterine interactions at implantation. FEBS Lett 580:5653–5660. , , , , .
- 1998. Biochemical evidence for autocrine/paracrine regulation of apoptosis in cultured uterine epithelial cells during mouse embryo implantation in vitro. Mol Hum Reprod 4:990–998. , , , .
- 2013. FGF4 is required for lineage restriction and salt-and-pepper distribution of primitive endoderm factors but not their initial expression in the mouse. Development 140:267–279. , , , .
- 2001. Trophoblast-specific expression and function of the integrin alpha 7 subunit in the peri-implantation mouse embryo. Dev Biol 239:161–175. , , , , , .
- 1962. Distribution of ova in the rat uterus. Anat Rec 143:239–241. , .
- 1994. E-cadherin null mutant embryos fail to form a trophectoderm epithelium. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 91:8263–8267. , , , .
- 2004. Compositional and structural requirements for laminin and basement membranes during mouse embryo implantation and gastrulation. Development 131:2247–2256. , , , , .
- 2003. The homeoprotein Nanog is required for maintenance of pluripotency in mouse epiblast and ES cells. Cell 113:631–642. , , , , , , , , .
- 2012. Formation of distinct cell types in the mouse blastocyst. Results Probl Cell Differ 55:203–217. , .
- 2012. Dynamics of anterior-posterior axis formation in the developing mouse embryo. Nat Commun 3:673. , , , , , , , , .
- 2013. Roles of cadherins and catenins in cell-cell adhesion and epithelial cell polarity. Prog Mol Biol Transl Sci 116:3–23. , , .
- 2010. Sox17 promotes differentiation in mouse embryonic stem cells by directly regulating extraembryonic gene expression and indirectly antagonizing self-renewal. Genes Dev 24:312–326. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Naive and primed pluripotent states. Cell Stem Cell 4:487–492. , .
- 1998. Formation of pluripotent stem cells in the mammalian embryo depends on the POU transcription factor Oct4. Cell 95:379–391. , , , , , , , .
- 1974. Changes of the luminal surface of the rat uterus at blastocyst implantation. Scanning electron microscopy and ruthenium red staining. Z Anat Entwicklungsgesch 144:337–342. .
- 2001. Implantation and the survival of early pregnancy. N Engl J Med 345:1400–1408. , , .
- 1999. Zonula occludens-1 and E-cadherin are coordinately expressed in the mouse uterus with the initiation of implantation and decidualization. Dev Biol 208:488–501. , , , , .
- 2001. Cellular and molecular responses of the uterus to embryo implantation can be elicited by locally applied growth factors. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 98:1047–1052. , , , , , , .
- 1987. Apoptosis as the mode of uterine epithelial cell death during embryo implantation in mice and rats. Biol Reprod 36:211–225. , , .
- 2007. Regionalization of the mouse visceral endoderm as the blastocyst transforms into the egg cylinder. BMC Dev Biol 7:96. , , , , , .
- 2008. Distinct sequential cell behaviours direct primitive endoderm formation in the mouse blastocyst. Development 135:3081–3091. , , , , .
- 1993. Heparin-like glycosaminoglycans participate in binding of a human trophoblastic cell line (JAR) to a human uterine epithelial cell line (RL95). J Cell Physiol 155:185–196. , .
- 2009. Blastocyst lineage formation, early embryonic asymmetries and axis patterning in the mouse. Development 136:701–713. , .
- 2003. Lineage allocation and asymmetries in the early mouse embryo. Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci 358:1341–1348; discussion 1349. , , .
- 2012. Research resource: genome-wide profiling of progesterone receptor binding in the mouse uterus. Mol Endocrinol 26:1428–1442. , , , , , .
- 1975. Cellular basis of interaction between trophoblast and uterus at implantation. Biol Reprod 12:41–65. , .
- 1991. Developmental biology of the murine egg cylinder. Int J Dev Biol 35:161–176. , , .
- 1971. Histochemical observations on early implantation in the mouse. J Embryol Exp Morphol 25:165–174. , .
- 1966. Early embryology. New York: McGraw Hill. , .
- 2012. Intercellular interactions, position, and polarity in establishing blastocyst cell lineages and embryonic axes. Cold Spring Harbor Perspect Biol 4:pii. , , .
- 1976. Plasminogen activator in early embryogenesis: enzyme production by trophoblast and parietal endoderm. Cell 9:231–240. , , .
- 2005. Cdx2 is required for correct cell fate specification and differentiation of trophectoderm in the mouse blastocyst. Development 132:2093–2102. , , , , , , .
- 1988. Incidence of early loss of pregnancy. N Engl J Med 319:189–194. , , , , , , , .
- 1977. Morphology of mouse egg cylinder development in vitro: a light and electron microscopic study. J Exp Zool 200:389–402. , .
- 2010. FGF signal-dependent segregation of primitive endoderm and epiblast in the mouse blastocyst. Development 137:715–724. , , .
- 1989. Sites of zona pellucida shedding by mouse embryo other than muran trophectoderm. J Exp Zool 249:347–349. , .
- 2013. Physiological and molecular determinants of embryo implantation. Mol Aspects Med [Epub ahead of print]. , , , , , .