mRNA fluorescence in situ hybridization to determine overlapping gene expression in whole-mount mouse embryos
Version of Record online: 27 JUN 2013
Copyright © 2013 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Volume 242, Issue 9, pages 1094–1100, September 2013
How to Cite
Neufeld, S. J., Zhou, X., Vize, P. D. and Cobb, J. (2013), mRNA fluorescence in situ hybridization to determine overlapping gene expression in whole-mount mouse embryos. Dev. Dyn., 242: 1094–1100. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.23993
- Issue online: 20 AUG 2013
- Version of Record online: 27 JUN 2013
- Accepted manuscript online: 10 JUN 2013 12:58AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 25 MAY 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 24 MAY 2013
- Manuscript Received: 24 JAN 2013
- Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC). Grant Numbers: RGPIN/355731-2008, 288142-2012
- 1998. SHOT, a SHOX-related homeobox gene, is implicated in craniofacial, brain, heart, and limb development. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 95:2406–2411. , , , , , , , .
- 1996. Double in situ hybridization on mouse embryos for detection of overlapping regions of gene expression. Trends Genet 12:385–387. , , , .
- 2006. Pbx1/Pbx2 requirement for distal limb patterning is mediated by the hierarchical control of Hox gene spatial distribution and Shh expression. Development 133:2263–2273. , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Expression analysis of murine genes using in situ hybridization with radioactive and nonradioactively labeled RNA probes. Methods Mol Biol 326:61–87. , , .
- 2005. Multiplex fluorescent in situ hybridization in zebrafish embryos using tyramide signal amplification. Zebrafish 2:105–111. , .
- 2005. Comparative analysis of genes downstream of the Hoxd cluster in developing digits and external genitalia. Development 132:3055–3067. , .
- 1995. The mouse Fgf8 gene encodes a family of polypeptides and is expressed in regions that direct outgrowth and patterning in the developing embryo. Development 121:439–451. , .
- 1999. Neural tube closure in Xenopus laevis involves medial migration, directed protrusive activity, cell intercalation and convergent extension. Development 126:4547–4556. , .
- 2004. FISHing for chick genes: Triple-label whole-mount fluorescence in situ hybridization detects simultaneous and overlapping gene expression in avian embryos. Dev Dyn 229:651–657. , , , , .
- 1991. The Hox-4.8 gene is localized at the 5′ extremity of the Hox-4 complex and is expressed in the most posterior parts of the body during development. Mech dev 36:3–13. , , , .
- 1993. Sonic hedgehog, a member of a family of putative signaling molecules, is implicated in the regulation of CNS polarity. Cell 75:1417–1430. , , , , , , .
- 1996. Function of the Evx-2 gene in the morphogenesis of vertebrate limbs. EMBO J 15:6727–6738. , , , .
- 1998. Double labeling with fluorescence in situ hybridization in Drosophila whole-mount embryos. BioTechniques 24:530–532. , .
- 1996. Double fluorescent in situ hybridization to zebrafish embryos. Trends Genet 12:387–389. , .
- 2002. Serial deletions and duplications suggest a mechanism for the collinearity of Hoxd genes in limbs. Nature 420:145–150. , , , .
- 2005. Early developmental arrest of mammalian limbs lacking HoxA/HoxD gene function. Nature 435:1113–1116. , , , , , .
- 2011. Multicolor fluorescent in situ hybridization to define abutting and overlapping gene expression in the embryonic zebrafish brain. Neural Dev 6:10. , , .
- 2012. Multicolor fluorescent in situ mRNA hybridization (FISH) on whole mounts and sections. Methods Mol Biol 917:431–444. , , , , .
- 2000. Long-depth imaging of specific gene expressions in whole-mount mouse embryos with single-photon excitation confocal fluorescence microscopy and FISH. J Struct Biol 131:56–66. , .
- 2011. Optical projection tomography of vertebrate embryo development. Cold Spring Harbor Protoc 2011:586–594. , .
- 1995. Ultra-sensitive FISH using peroxidase-mediated deposition of biotin- or fluorochrome tyramides. Hum Mol Genet 4:529–534. , , , , , .
- 1997. Effect of fibroblast growth factors on outgrowth of facial mesenchyme. Dev Biol 189:135–147. , , , .
- 1993. Whole-mount in situ hybridization in the mouse embryo: gene expression in three dimensions. Trends Genet 9:162–167. , .
- 1998. A new human homeobox gene OGI2X is a member of the most conserved homeobox gene family and is expressed during heart development in mouse. Hum Mol Genet 7:415–422. , , .
- 2002. Optical projection tomography as a tool for 3D microscopy and gene expression studies. Science 296:541–545. , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Control of Hoxd genes' collinearity during early limb development. Dev Cell 10:93–103. , .
- 2006. Regulatory constraints in the evolution of the tetrapod limb anterior-posterior polarity. Nature 443:985–988. , , .
- 2009. Multichannel wholemount fluorescent and fluorescent/chromogenic in situ hybridization in Xenopus embryos. Nature Protoc 4:975–983. , , .
- 2000. Dual fluorescent in situ hybridization and immunohistochemical detection with tyramide signal amplification. J Histochem Cytochem 48:1369–1375. , , , .