Special Issue Reviews–A Peer Review Forum
Hox regulation of transcription: More complex(es)
Article first published online: 22 JUL 2013
Copyright © 2013 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Special Issue: Hox/Tale Transcription Factors in Development and Disease
Volume 243, Issue 1, pages 4–15, January 2014
How to Cite
Ladam, F. and Sagerström, C. G. (2014), Hox regulation of transcription: More complex(es). Dev. Dyn., 243: 4–15. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.23997
- Issue published online: 20 DEC 2013
- Article first published online: 22 JUL 2013
- Accepted manuscript online: 13 JUN 2013 03:43AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 3 JUN 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 31 MAY 2013
- Manuscript Received: 1 MAY 2013
- NIH. Grant Numbers: NS038183, HD065081
- 2000. Functional cloning and characterization of a novel nonhomeodomain protein that inhibits the binding of PBX1-HOX complexes to DNA. J Biol Chem 275:26172–26177. , , , , , , .
- 1999. Control of the nuclear localization of Extradenticle by competing nuclear import and export signals. Genes Dev 13:935–945. , , .
- 2008. A lexicon for homeodomain-DNA recognition. Cell 133:1133–1135. , , .
- 2009. Meis2 competes with the Groucho co-repressor Tle4 for binding to Otx2 and specifies tectal fate without induction of a secondary midbrain-hindbrain boundary organizer. Development 136:3311–3322. , .
- 1999. Pbx-Hox heterodimers recruit coactivator-corepressor complexes in an isoform-specific manner. Mol Cell Biol 19:8219–8225. , , , , .
- 1997. Nucleocytoplasmic localisation of extradenticle protein is spatially regulated throughout development in Drosophila. Development 124:741–747. , .
- 2004. Activin regulation of the follicle-stimulating hormone beta-subunit gene involves Smads and the TALE homeodomain proteins Pbx1 and Prep1. Mol Endocrinol 18:1158–1170. , , , , .
- 1996. The CBP co-activator is a histone acetyltransferase. Nature 384:641–643. , .
- 2008. Variation in homeodomain DNA binding revealed by high-resolution analysis of sequence preferences. Cell 133:1266–1276. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Pbx marks genes for activation by MyoD indicating a role for a homeodomain protein in establishing myogenic potential. Mol Cell 14:465–477. , , , , , .
- 1998a. The novel homeoprotein Prep1 modulates Pbx-Hox protein cooperativity. EMBO J 17:1434–1445. , , , , .
- 1998b. Prep1, a novel functional partner of Pbx proteins. EMBO J 17:1423–1433. , , , .
- 1999. The subcellular localization of PBX1 and EXD proteins depends on nuclear import and export signals and is modulated by association with PREP1 and HTH. Genes Dev 13:946–953. , , , , .
- 1995. A novel homeobox protein which recognizes a TGT core and functionally interferes with a retinoid-responsive motif. J Biol Chem 270:31178–31188. , , , .
- 1998. The bovine CYP17 promoter contains a transcriptional regulatory element cooperatively bound by tale homeodomain proteins. Endocr Res 24:489–495. , , .
- 1997. Analysis of TALE superclass homeobox genes (MEIS, PBC, KNOX, Iroquois, TGIF) reveals a novel domain conserved between plants and animals. Nucleic Acids Res 25:4173–4180. .
- 1992. New motif in PBX genes [letter]. Nat Genet 1:319–320. , .
- 1999. An inhibitory switch derepressed by pbx, hox, and Meis/Prep1 partners regulates DNA-binding by pbx1 and E2a-pbx1 and is dispensable for myeloid immortalization by E2a-pbx1. Oncogene 18:8033–8043. , , , .
- 2010. Scapula development is governed by genetic interactions of Pbx1 with its family members and with Emx2 via their cooperative control of Alx1. Development 137:2559–2569. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1994. Direct regulation of decapentaplegic by Ultrabithorax and its role in Drosophila midgut morphogenesis. Cell 76:461–475. , , .
- 1994. The DNA binding specificity of Ultrabithorax is modulated by cooperative interactions with extradenticle, another homeoprotein. Cell 78:603–615. , , , , .
- 1995. Pbx proteins display hexapeptide-dependent cooperative DNA binding with a subset of Hox proteins. Genes Dev 9:663–674. , , , , , .
- 1996. Pbx modulation of Hox homeodomain amino-terminal arms establishes different DNA-binding specificities across the Hox locus. Mol Cell Biol 16:1734–1745. , , , , .
- 1997. Meis proteins are major in vivo binding partners for wild-type but not chimeric Pbx proteins. Mol Cell Biol 17:5679–5687. , , , , , .
- 1999. CBP and histone deacetylase inhibition enhance the transactivation potential of the HOXB7 homeodomain-containing protein. Oncogene 18:4007–4014. , , , , , .
- 2002. Meis family proteins are required for hindbrain development in the zebrafish. Development 129:585–595. , , .
- 2009. Meis cofactors control HDAC and CBP accessibility at Hox-regulated promoters during zebrafish embryogenesis. Dev Cell 17:561–567. , , , , .
- 2011. Function and regulation of the Mediator complex. Curr Opin Genet Dev 21:225–230. , .
- 2001. The Hox cofactor and proto-oncogene Pbx1 is required for maintenance of definitive hematopoiesis in the fetal liver. Blood 98:618–626. , , , , , , , , .
- 1994. Colinearity and functional hierarchy among genes of the homeotic complexes. Trends Genet 10:358–364. , .
- 1999. The PBX-Regulating Protein PREP1 is present in different PBX-complexed forms in mouse. Mech Dev 83:53–64. , , , , .
- 2000. Segmental expression of Hoxb2 in r4 requires two separate sites that integrate cooperative interactions between Prep1, Pbx and Hox proteins. Development 127:155–166. , , , , , .
- 2002. Evolution of a transcriptional repression domain in an insect Hox protein. Nature 415:910–913. , .
- 1994. Homeodomain proteins. Ann Rev Biochem 63:487–526. , , .
- 2009. Transcriptional activation by MEIS1A in response to protein kinase A signaling requires the transducers of regulated CREB family of CREB co-activators. J Biol Chem 284:18904–18912. , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. CBP/p300 in cell growth, transformation, and development. Genes Dev 14:1553–1577. , .
- 1997. Activation of p53 sequence-specific DNA binding by acetylation of the p53 C-terminal domain. Cell 90:595–606. , .
- 2011. Physiological roles of class I HDAC complex and histone demethylase. J Biomed Biotechnol 2011:129383. , .
- 1990. What determines the specificity of action of Drosophila homeodomain proteins? Cell 63:883–894. , .
- 2003. Nonmuscle myosin promotes cytoplasmic localization of PBX. Mol Cell Biol 23:3636–3645. , , , , .
- 2005. MEIS C-termini harbor transcriptional activation domains that respond to cell signaling. J Biol Chem 280:10119–10127. , , , , , .
- 2012. Hox proteins display a common and ancestral ability to diversify their interaction mode with the PBC class cofactors. PLoS Biol 10:e1001351. , , , , , .
- 2001. Identification and characterization of human PKNOX2, a novel homeobox-containing gene. Biochemi Biophys Res commun 287:270–276. , , , .
- 1999. Trimeric association of Hox and TALE homeodomain proteins mediates Hoxb2 hindbrain enhancer activity. Mol Cell Biol 19:5134–5142. , , .
- 1997. A role for phosphorylation by casein kinase II in modulating Antennapedia activity in Drosophila. Genes Dev 11:1327–1340. , , .
- 2000. Direct interaction of two homeoproteins, homothorax and extradenticle, is essential for EXD nuclear localization and function. Mech Dev 91:279–291. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Functional specificity of a Hox protein mediated by the recognition of minor groove structure. Cell 131:530–543. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. PBX1 nuclear export is regulated independently of PBX-MEINOX interaction by PKA phosphorylation of the PBC-B domain. EMBO J 22:89–99. , , .
- 2003. Organizing axes in time and space; 25 years of colinear tinkering. Science 301:331–333. , .
- 1997. Meis1 and pKnox1 bind DNA cooperatively with Pbx1 utilizing an interaction surface disrupted in oncoprotein E2a-Pbx1. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 94:14553–14558. , , , , .
- 1999. A conserved motif N-terminal to the DNA-binding domains of myogenic bHLH transcription factors mediates cooperative DNA binding with pbx-Meis1/Prep1. Nucleic Acids Res 27:3752–3761. , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Engrailed cooperates with extradenticle and homothorax to repress target genes in Drosophila. Development 130:741–751. , , , , , , .
- 1992. Chromosomal translocations in lymphoid malignancies reveal novel proto-oncogenes. Ann Rev Immunol 10:785–807. .
- 1989. Transcriptional activation and repression by Ultrabithorax proteins in cultured Drosophila cells. Cell 57:1031–1043. , , , .
- 2012. Protein interactions of the transcription factor Hoxa1. BMC Dev Biol 12:29. , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Identification of a new type of PBX1 partner that contains zinc finger motifs and inhibits the binding of HOXA9-PBX1 to DNA. Mech Dev 124:364–376. , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Genomic evolution of Hox gene clusters. Science 313:1918–1922. , .
- 1988. Homeobox proteins as sequence-specific transcription factors. Cell 55:537–540. , .
- 1994. Homeosis: the first 100 years. Trends Genet 10:341–343. .
- 1999. Activity regulation of a Hox protein and a role for the homeodomain in inhibiting transcriptional activation. EMBO J 18:198–211. , , .
- 1997. Heterodimerization of Hox proteins with Pbx1 and oncoprotein E2a-Pbx1 generates unique DNA-binding specifities at nucleotides predicted to contact the N-terminal arm of the Hox homeodomain–demonstration of Hox- dependent targeting of E2a-Pbx1 in vivo. Oncogene 14:75–83. , .
- 2002. Xpbx1b and Xmeis1b play a collaborative role in hindbrain and neural crest gene expression in Xenopus embryos. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 99:5448–5453. , , , , , .
- 2004. Abnormalities of caudal pharyngeal pouch development in Pbx1 knockout mice mimic loss of Hox3 paralogs. Dev Biol 276:301–312. , , , , .
- 1998. Hox proteins meet more partners. Curr Opin Genet Dev 8:423–429. , .
- 1996. Extra specificity from extradenticle: the partnership between HOX and exd/pbx homeodomain proteins. Trends Genet 12:258–262. , .
- 2009. Hox specificity unique roles for cofactors and collaborators. Curr Top Dev Biol 88:63–101. , , .
- 2001. Novel alternative PBX3 isoforms in leukemia cells with distinct interaction specificities. Genes Chromosomes Cancer 32:275–280. , , .
- 1991. PBX2 and PBX3, new homeobox genes with extensive homology to the human proto-oncogene PBX1. Mol Cell Biol 11:6149–6157. , , , , .
- 1995. Meis1, a PBX-1 related homeobox gene involved in myeloid leukemia in BXH-2 mice. Mol Cell Biol 15:5434–5443. , , , , .
- 1996a. Identification of a new family of Pbx-related homeobox genes. Oncogene 13:2235–2242. , , .
- 1996b. Cooperative activation of HoxA and Pbx-related genes in murine myeloid leukemias. Nat Genet 12:149–153. , , , , .
- 1997. Pbx raises the DNA binding specificity but not the selectivity of antennapedia Hox proteins. Mol Cell Biol 17:4696–4706. , .
- 2011. Competition for cofactor-dependent DNA binding underlies Hox phenotypic suppression. Genes Dev 25:2327–2332. , , , .
- 1990. Chromosomal translocation t(1;19) results in synthesis of a homeobox fusion mRNA that codes for a potential chimeric transcription factor. Cell 60:535–545. , , , , , , .
- 2008. Analysis of homeodomain specificities allows the family-wide prediction of preferred recognition sites. Cell 133:1277–1289. , , , , , .
- 1996. The transcriptional coactivators p300 and CBP are histone acetyltransferases. Cell 87:953–959. , , , , .
- 1997. Meis2, a novel mouse Pbx-related homeobox gene induced by retinoic acid during differentiation of P19 embryonal carcinoma cells. Dev Dyn 210:173–183. , , , , , .
- 1998. The Homothorax homeoprotein activates the nuclear localization of another homeoprotein, extradenticle, and suppresses eye development in Drosophila. Genes Dev 12:435–446. , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Structure of a DNA-bound Ultrabithorax-Extradenticle homeodomain complex. Nature 397:714–719. , , , , .
- 1995. The pancreatic islet factor STF-1 binds cooperatively with Pbx to a regulatory element in the somatostatin promoter: importance of the FPWMK motif and of the homeodomain. Mol Cell Biol 15:7091–7097. , , , , .
- 2013. Analysis of the DNA-binding profile and function of TALE homeoproteins reveals their specialization and specific interactions with Hox genes/proteins. Cell reports 3:1321–1333. , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1997. A model for extradenticle function as a switch that changes HOX proteins from repressors to activators. EMBO J 16:2032–2042. , , , .
- 1999. Structure of a HoxB1-Pbx1 heterodimer bound to DNA: role of the hexapeptide and a fourth homeodomain helix in complex formation. Cell 96:587–597. , , , , .
- 1995. Segmental expression of Hoxb-1 is controlled by a highly conserved autoregulatory loop dependent upon exd/pbx. Cell 81:1031–1042. , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Iazarus is a novel pbx gene that globally mediates hox gene function in zebrafish. Mol Cell 6:255–267. , , , , , .
- 1993. extradenticle, a regulator of homeotic gene activity, is a homolog of the homeobox-containing human proto-oncogene pbx1. Cell 74:1101–1112. , , .
- 1997. Nuclear translocation of Extradenticle requires homothorax, which encodes an Extradenticle-related homeodomain protein. Cell 91:171–183. , , , , .
- 1995. Localization of Pbx1 transcripts in developing rat embryos. Mech Dev 51:193–198. , , .
- 2002. Hox protein mutation and macroevolution of the insect body plan. Nature 415:914–917. , , .
- 1999. Regulation of Hox target genes by a DNA bound Homothorax/Hox/Extradenticle complex. Development 126:5137–5148. , , , , .
- 2011. Selection of distinct Hox-Extradenticle interaction modes fine-tunes Hox protein activity. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 108:2276–2281. , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Cell signaling switches HOX-PBX complexes from repressors to activators of transcription mediated by histone deacetylases and histone acetyltransferases. Mol Cell Biol 20:8623–8633. , , , .
- 2001. Requirement for Pbx1 in skeletal patterning and programming chondrocyte proliferation and differentiation. Development 128:3543–3557. , , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Molecular mechanism of polyhomeotic activation by Engrailed. EMBO J 17:3704–3713. , .
- 1999. PBX and MEIS as non-DNA-binding partners in trimeric complexes with HOX proteins. Mol Cell Biol 19:7577–7588. , , , , .
- 1997. Hox genes in evolution: protein surfaces and paralog groups. Trends Genet 13:145–151. , , .
- 1997a. AbdB-like Hox proteins stabilize DNA binding by the Meis1 homeodomain proteins. Mol Cell Biol 17:6448–6458. , , , , , , .
- 1997b. The Abd-B-like Hox homeodomain proteins can be subdivided by the ability to form complexes with Pbx1a on a novel DNA target. J Biol Chem 272:8198–8206. , , , .
- 1999. HOXA9 forms triple complexes with PBX2 and MEIS1 in myeloid cells. Mol Cell Biol 19:3051–3061. , , , , , .
- 2001. The HOX homeodomain proteins block CBP histone acetyltransferase activity. Mol Cell Biol 21:7509–7522. , , , .
- 2004. Histone demethylation mediated by the nuclear amine oxidase homolog LSD1. Cell 119:941–953. , , , , , , .
- 2011. Cofactor binding evokes latent differences in DNA binding specificity between Hox proteins. Cell 147:1270–1282. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Defining roles for HOX and MEIS1 genes in induction of acute myeloid leukemia. Mol Cell Biol 21:224–234. , , , , .
- 1998. Chromatin deacetylation by an ATP-dependent nucleosome remodelling complex. Nature 395:917–921. , , , , .
- 1992. Homeotic genes of the Bithorax complex repress limb development in the abdomen of the Drosophila embryo through the target gene Distal-less. Cell 71:437–450. , , , , , .
- 2002. Roles of the Homothorax/Meis/Prep homolog UNC-62 and the Exd/Pbx homologs CEH-20 and CEH-40 in C. elegans embryogenesis. Development 129:5255–5268. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. A novel pbx family member expressed during early zebrafish embryogenesis forms trimeric complexes with Meis3 and Hoxb1b. Dev Dyn 217:109–119. , , .
- 2001. Meis3 synergizes with Pbx4 and Hoxb1b in promoting hindbrain fates in the zebrafish. Development 128:1299–1312. , , .
- 2010. GSK-3 promotes conditional association of CREB and its coactivators with MEIS1 to facilitate HOX-mediated transcription and oncogenesis. Cancer Cell 17:597–608. , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Zebrafish Meis functions to stabilize Pbx proteins and regulate hindbrain patterning. Development 128:4139–4151. , , , .
- 2002. Eliminating zebrafish pbx proteins reveals a hindbrain ground state. Dev Cell 3:723–733. , , .
- 2005. Range of HOX/TALE superclass associations and protein domain requirements for HOXA13:MEIS interaction. Dev Biol 277:457–471. , , .
- 1998. NURD, a novel complex with both ATP-dependent chromatin-remodeling and histone deacetylase activities. Mol Cell 2:851–861. , , , , , .
- 2008. MicroRNAs in the Hox network: an apparent link to posterior prevalence. Nat Rev Genet 9:789–796. , , .