Cell segregation, mixing, and tissue pattern in the spinal cord of the Xenopus laevis neurula
Article first published online: 5 AUG 2013
Published 2013 by Wiley Periodicals, Inc. This article is a US Government work and, as such, is in the public domain in the United States of America.
Volume 242, Issue 10, pages 1134–1146, October 2013
How to Cite
Edlund, A. F., Davidson, L. A. and Keller, R. E. (2013), Cell segregation, mixing, and tissue pattern in the spinal cord of the Xenopus laevis neurula. Dev. Dyn., 242: 1134–1146. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.24004
- Issue published online: 20 SEP 2013
- Article first published online: 5 AUG 2013
- Accepted manuscript online: 29 JUN 2013 12:00AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 5 JUN 2013
- Manuscript Received: 30 MAY 2013
- NIH. Grant Numbers: HD25594, HD44750
- 1998. Combinatorial Gli gene function in floor plate and neuronal inductions by Sonic hedgehog. Development 125:2203–2212. .
- 1991. Patterns of neurepithelial cell rearrangement during avian neurulation are determined prior to notochordal inductive interactions. Dev Biol 143:78–92. , .
- 1997. Expression of Pax-3 is initiated in the early neural plate by posteriorizing signals produced by the organizer and by posterior non-axial mesoderm. Development 124:2075–2085. , , , .
- 2000. A homeodomain protein code specifies progenitor cell identity and neuronal fate in the ventral neural tube. Cell 101:435–445. , , , .
- 2002. Intrinsic differences between the superficial and deep layers of the Xenopus ectoderm control primary neuronal differentiation. Dev Cell 2:171–182. , , .
- 2003. Oriented cell divisions asymmetrically segregate aPKC and generate cell fate diversity in the early Xenopus embryo. Development 130:2657–2668. , , .
- 2005. aPKC, Crumbs3 and Lgl2 control apicobasal polarity in early vertebrate development. Development 132:977–986. , , , , , .
- 2006. Grainyhead-like 3, a transcription factor identified in a microarray screen, promotes the specification of the superficial layer of the embryonic epidermis. Mech Dev 123:702–718. , , , , , .
- 2002. Analysis of spatial and temporal gene expression patterns in blastula and gastrula stage chick embryos. Dev Biol 245:187–199. , , , .
- 1995. Primary neurogenesis in Xenopus embryos regulated by a homologue of the Drosophila neurogenic gene Delta. Nature 375:761–766. , , , , .
- 2006. Planar cell polarity signaling couples cell division and morphogenesis during neurulation. Nature 439:220–224. , , , , .
- 1999. Neural tube closure in Xenopus laevis involves medial migration, directed protrusive activity, cell intercalation and convergent extension. Development 126:4547–4556. , .
- 1999. Measurements of mechanical properties of the blastula wall reveal which hypothesized mechanisms of primary invagination are physically plausible in the sea urchin Strongylocentrotus purpuratus. Dev Biol 209:221–238. , , , .
- 2004. Assembly and remodeling of the fibrillar fibronectin extracellular matrix during gastrulation and neurulation in Xenopus laevis. Dev Dyn 231:888–895. , , .
- 1998. The when and where of floor plate induction. Science 282:1654–1657. , , .
- 2005. Regulation of lethal giant larvae by Dishevelled. Nature 437:1376–1380. , , , .
- 2000. Monopolar protrusive activity: a new morphogenic cell behavior in the neural plate dependent on vertical interactions with the mesoderm in Xenopus. Dev Biol 224:3–19. , .
- 1997. Cellular mechanism underlying neural convergence and extension in Xenopus laevis embryos. Dev Biol 191:243–258. , , .
- 1998. Patterning of morphogenetic cell behaviors in neural ectoderm of Xenopus laevis. Ann N Y Acad Sci 857:248–251. , , .
- 1995. Xenopus F-cadherin, a novel member of the cadherin family of cell adhesion molecules, is expressed at boundaries in the neural tube. Mol Cell Neurosci 6:199–211. , , .
- 1998. The role of F-cadherin in localizing cells during neural tube formation in Xenopus embryos. Development 125:301–312. , , .
- 2003. The midline (notochord and notoplate) patterns the cell motility underlying convergence and extension of the Xenopus neural plate. Dev Biol 256:100–114. , , .
- 1996. Ventral neural cadherin, a novel cadherin expressed in a subset of neural tissues in the zebrafish embryo. Dev Dyn 206:121–130. , .
- 1999. Overexpression of ptc1 inhibits induction of Shh target genes and prevents normal patterning in the neural tube. Dev Biol 211:323–334. , , , .
- 1991. Pax-3, a novel murine DNA binding protein expressed during early neurogenesis. EMBO J 10:1135–1147. , , , , .
- 1991. In situ hybridization: an improved whole-mount method for Xenopus embryos. Methods Cell Biol 36:685–695. .
- 2009. Comparative analysis of neurulation: first impressions do not count. Mol Reprod Dev 76:954–965. , , .
- 1989. Early neurogenesis in Xenopus: the spatio-temporal pattern of proliferation and cell lineages in the embryonic spinal cord. Neuron 3:399–411. .
- 2006. Chemokine signaling mediates self-organizing tissue migration in the zebrafish lateral line. Dev Cell 10:673–680. , .
- 1976. Changes in the shape of the developing vertebrate nervous system analyzed experimentally, mathematically, and by computer simulation. J Exp Zool 197:191–246. , .
- 1995. Tissue boundaries and cell behavior during neurulation. Dev Biol 171:98–110. , .
- 1991. Xenopus laevis: practical uses in cell and molecular biology. New York, New York: Academic Press. , .
- 1992. Mediolateral intercalation of mesodermal cells in the Xenopus laevis gastrula. In: Bellairs R, Sanders EJ, Lash JW, editors. Nato ASI (Advanced Science Institutes) Series A Life Sciences, Vol. 231. Formation and differentiation of early embryonic mesoderm; Nato Advanced Research Workshop, Banff, Alberta, Canada, October 25–27, 1991. Viii+341p. New York, New York: Plenum Press. p 47–61. , .
- 1985. The function and mechanism of convergent extension during gastrulation in Xenopus laevis. J Embyol Exp Morphol 89:185–209. , , , .
- 1992a. The patterning and functioning of protrusive activity during convergence and extension of the Xenopus organizer. Development (supplement):81–91. , , .
- 1992b. The cellular basis of the convergence and extension of the Xenopus neural plate. Dev Dyn 193:199–217. , , .
- 1994. Netrins are diffusible chemotropic factors for commissural axons in the embryonic spinal cord. Cell 78:425–435. , , , .
- 1994. Cell cycles and clonal strings during formation of the zebrafish central nervous system. Development 120:265–276. , , .
- 1992. F-spondin: a gene expressed at high levels in the floor plate encodes a secreted protein that promotes neural cell adhesion and neurite extension. Cell 69:95–110. , , .
- 2002. Inhibition of BMP activity by the FGF signal promotes posterior neural development in zebrafish. Dev Biol 244:9–20. , , , , , , .
- 2002. Distinct roles for Fgf, Wnt and retinoic acid in posteriorizing the neural ectoderm. Development 129:4335–4346. , , .
- 2004. Combinatorial Fgf and Bmp signalling patterns the gastrula ectoderm into prospective neural and epidermal domains. Development 131:3581–3592. , , , , .
- 1996. Integrin α6 expression is required for early nervous system development in Xenopus laevis. Development 122:2539–2554. , , .
- 2004. Strategies of vertebrate neurulation and a re-evaluation of teleost neural tube formation. Mech Dev 121:1189–1197. , .
- 1995. Induction of the prospective neural crest of Xenopus. Development 121:767–777. , , .
- 1992. Analysis of Xwnt-4 in embryos of Xenopus laevis: a Wnt family member expressed in the brain and floor plate. Development 115:463–473. , , .
- 1997. Wnt and FGF pathways cooperatively pattern anteroposterior neural ectoderm in Xenopus. Mech Dev 69:105–114. , , .
- 1996. Dorsal mesoderm has a dual origin and forms by a novel mechanism in Hymenochirus, a relative of Xenopus. Dev Biol 174:92–103. , .
- 2004. Primordial germ cell migration. Int J Dev Biol 48:537–544. , .
- 1967. Normal tables of Xenopus laevis (Daudin). Amsterdam: Elsevier North-Holland Biomedical Press. , .
- 2008. Epithelial coating controls mesenchymal shape change through tissue-positioning effects and reduction of surface-minimizing tension. Nat Cell Biol 10:61–69. , .
- 1997. Cell movements, neuronal organisation and gene expression in hindbrains lacking morphological boundaries. Development 124:2297–2306. , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Two distinct cell populations in the floor plate of the zebrafish are induced by different pathways. Dev Biol 219:350–363. , , , , .
- A revised model of Xenopus dorsal midline development: differential and separable requirements for Notch and Shh signaling. Dev Biol 352:254–266. , , .
- 1991. Control of dorsoventral pattern in vertebrate neural development: induction and polarizing properties of the floor plate. Dev Suppl 2:105–122. , , , , .
- 1997. Epithelial cell wedging and neural trough formation are induced planarly in Xenopus, without persistent vertical interactions with mesoderm. Dev Biol 189:256–269. , , , .
- 1994. Floor plate and motor neuron induction by vhh-1, a vertebrate homolog of hedgehog expressed by the notochord. Cell 76:761–775. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Collective guidance of collective cell migration. Trends Cell Biol 17:575–579. .
- 2009. The apicobasal polarity kinase aPKC functions as a nuclear determinant and regulates cell proliferation and fate during Xenopus primary neurogenesis. Development 136:2767–2777. , , , , , .
- 1984. Histological and ultrastructural studies of secondary neurulation in mouse embryos. Am J Anat 169:361–376. .
- 1980. Ultrastructure of secondary neurulation in the chick embryo. Am J Anat 158:43–63. , .
- 1989. Roles of neuroepithelial cell rearrangement and division in shaping of the avian neural plate. Development 106:427–439. , .
- 1970. Neurulation in Xenopus laevis. An analysis and model based upon light and electron microscopy. J Embryol Exp Morphol 23:427–462. .
- 1992a. Cell motility driving mediolateral intercalation in explants of Xenopus laevis. Development 116:901–914. , .
- 1992b. Patterns of cell motility in the organizer and dorsal mesoderm of Xenopus laevis. Development 116:915–930. , .
- 2011. Secondary neurulation: fate mapping and gene manipulation of the neural tube in tail bud. Dev. Growth Differ 53:401–410. , .
- 2006. Fibrillin is expressed in the organizer and is the earliest component of matrix at the developing notochord-somite boundary. Dev Dyn 235:1974–1983. , , , , .
- 1994. Prospective fate map of the mouse primitive streak at 7.5 days of gestation. Dev Dyn 201:279–289. , , .
- 2005. Conserved patterns of cell movements during vertebrate gastrulation. Curr Biol 15:R213–R228. .
- 1996. Diversity and pattern in the developing spinal cord. Science 274:1115–1123. , .
- 2007. A mirror-symmetric cell division that orchestrates neuroepithelial morphogenesis. Nature 446:797–800. , , , , , , , , .
- 1998. The relationships between notochord and floor plate in vertebrate development revisited. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 95:11733–11738. , , .
- 2005. Specification of neural crest cell formation and migration in mouse embryos. Semin Cell Dev Biol 16:683–693. .
- 1996. Inhibition of floor plate differentiation by Pax3: evidence from ectopic expression in transgenic mice. Development 122:2555–2567. , , .
- 1984. Cells into Organs: the forces that shape the embryo. Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice-Hall Inc. .
- 2007. The amniote primitive streak is defined by epithelial cell intercalation before gastrulation. Nature 449:1049–1052. , , , , .
- 2001. Xenopus Dishevelled signaling regulates both neural and mesodermal convergent extension: parallel forces elongating the body axis. Development 128:2581–2592. , .
- 2002. Neural tube closure requires Dishevelled-dependent convergent extension of the midline. Development 129:5815–5825. , .
- 2005. The mechanisms of dorsoventral patterning in the vertebrate neural tube. Dev Biol 282:1–13. , .
- 2007. Convergent extension, planar-cell-polarity signaling and initiation of mouse neural tube closure. Dev Dis 134:789–799. , , , , , , , .
- 2009. PTK7 is essential for polarized cell motility and convergent extension during mouse gastrulation. Development 136:2039–2048. , , , , , , , .
- 1999. The mouse SLIT family: secreted ligands for ROBO expressed in patterns that suggest a role in morphogenesis and axon guidance. Dev Biol 212:290–306. , , , , , .
- 1993. XASH-3, a novel Xenopus achaete-scute homolog, provides an early marker of planar neural induction and position along the mediolateral axis of the neural plate. Development 119:221–232. , , , , .