Complex cardiac defects after ethanol exposure during discrete cardiogenic events in zebrafish: Prevention with folic acid
Version of Record online: 2 SEP 2013
Copyright © 2013 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Volume 242, Issue 10, pages 1184–1201, October 2013
How to Cite
Sarmah, S. and Marrs, J. A. (2013), Complex cardiac defects after ethanol exposure during discrete cardiogenic events in zebrafish: Prevention with folic acid. Dev. Dyn., 242: 1184–1201. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.24015
- Issue online: 20 SEP 2013
- Version of Record online: 2 SEP 2013
- Accepted manuscript online: 5 JUL 2013 12:00AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 1 JUL 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 13 JUN 2013
- Manuscript Received: 9 APR 2013
- NIH/NIAAA. Grant Numbers: P60 AA007611, R21AA015938
- 1995. An update on incidence of FAS: FAS is not an equal opportunity birth defect. Neurotoxicol Teratol 17:437–443. .
- 1998. Fetal alcohol abuse syndrome. New York: Plenum Press. .
- 1995. Maternal risk factors in fetal alcohol syndrome: provocative and permissive influences. Neurotoxicol Teratol 17:445–462. , .
- 2007. Functional modulation of cardiac form through regionally confined cell shape changes. PLoS Biol 5:e53. , , , , , .
- 2005. Folic acid supplementation and the occurrence of congenital heart defects, orofacial clefts, multiple births, and miscarriage. Am J Clin Nutrit 81:1213S–1217S. , .
- 2012. Vitamin A, folate, and choline as a possible preventive intervention to fetal alcohol syndrome. Med Hypoth 78:489–493. , , .
- 2004. Early myocardial function affects endocardial cushion development in zebrafish. PLoS Biol 2:E129. , , , , , , , .
- 2011. Lack of maternal folic acid supplementation is associated with heart defects in Down syndrome: a report from the National Down Syndrome Project. Birth Defects Res A 91:885–893. , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Genetic and cellular analyses of zebrafish atrioventricular cushion and valve development. Development 132:4193–4204. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1987. The influence of socioeconomic factors on the occurrence of fetal alcohol syndrome. Adv Alcohol Substance Abuse 6:105–118. , , , , , , .
- 1998. Ethanol impairs migration of the prechordal plate in the zebrafish embryo. Dev Biol 201:185–201. , .
- 1993. Strain-dependent effect of ethanol on ventricular septal defect frequency in White Leghorn chick embryos. Teratology 48:299–303. , .
- 2007. Congenital heart defects and fetal alcohol spectrum disorders. Congenit Heart Disease 2:250–255. , , , , , .
- 2000. Genetic and developmental modulation of cardiac deficits in prenatal alcohol exposure. Alcoholism Clin Exp Res 24:102–109. , .
- 2012. Voltage-gated calcium channel CACNB2 (beta2.1) protein is required in the heart for control of cell proliferation and heart tube integrity. Dev Dyn 241:648–662. , , , .
- 2012. Zebrafish cadherin-11 participates in retinal differentiation and retinotectal axon projection during visual system development. Dev Dyn 241:442–454. , , , , .
- 1986. Abnormal heart and great vessel development following acute ethanol exposure in mice. Teratology 33:93–104. , , .
- 2010. Structural and functional effects of developmental exposure to ethanol on the zebrafish heart. Alcoholism Clin Exp Res 34:1013–1021. , .
- 1991. A hypothetical mechanism for fetal alcohol syndrome involving ethanol inhibition of retinoic acid synthesis at the alcohol dehydrogenase step. Alcoholism Clin Exp Res 15:568–572. .
- 1987. Ethyl alcohol-induced cardiovascular malformations in the chick embryo. Teratology 35:95–103. , , , , , .
- 1991. Ethanol consumption inhibits fetal DNA methylation in mice: implications for the fetal alcohol syndrome. Alcoholism Clin Exp Res 15:395–398. , , , .
- 2007. Long-term alcohol ingestion alters the folate-binding kinetics in intestinal brush border membrane in experimental alcoholism. Alcohol 41:441–446. , .
- 2003. A caudorostral wave of RALDH2 conveys anteroposterior information to the cardiac field. Development 130:5363–5374. , , , , , , , .
- 2012. Folic acid transport to the human fetus is decreased in pregnancies with chronic alcohol exposure. PLoS One 7:e38057. , , , , .
- 2012. The effect of folic acid as an antioxidant on the hypothalamic monoamines in experimentally induced hypothyroid rat. Toxicol Indust Health 28:253–261. , , , , .
- 2009. Prevalence of severe congenital heart disease after folic acid fortification of grain products: time trend analysis in Quebec, Canada. BMJ 338:b1673. , , , .
- 2007. Perturbation of retinoic acid (RA)-mediated limb development suggests a role for diminished RA signaling in the teratogenesis of ethanol. Birth Defects Res A Clin Mol Teratol 79:631–641. , , , .
- 2001. Free radical scavenging behavior of folic acid: evidence for possible antioxidant activity. Free Radical Biol Med 30:1390–1399. , , , , .
- 2010. Maternal ethanol consumption alters the epigenotype and the phenotype of offspring in a mouse model. PLoS Genet 6:e1000811. , , , , , , , .
- 2011. Ethanol-induced microphthalmia is not mediated by changes in retinoic acid or sonic hedgehog signaling during retinal neurogenesis. Alcohol Clin Exp Res 35:1644–1661. , , .
- 2005. Retinoic acid signaling restricts the cardiac progenitor pool. Science 307:247–249. , , , , .
- 2010. Prenatal alcohol exposure alters the patterns of facial asymmetry. Alcohol 44:649–657. , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2011. Mef2cb regulates late myocardial cell addition from a second heart field-like population of progenitors in zebrafish. Dev Biol 354:123–133. , .
- 2012. Disruption of the folate pathway in zebrafish causes developmental defects. BMC Dev Biol 12:12. , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Relationships between nutrition, alcohol use, and liver disease. Alcohol Res Health 27:220–231. .
- 2012. Partitioning the heart: mechanisms of cardiac septation and valve development. Development 139:3277–3299. , , , , .
- 2009. Alcohol exposure alters DNA methylation profiles in mouse embryos at early neurulation. Epigenetics 4:500–511. , , , , .
- 2010. Zebrafish fetal alcohol syndrome model: effects of ethanol are rescued by retinoic acid supplement. Alcohol 44:707–715. , , , , , .
- 1999. The antioxidants vitamin E and beta-carotene protect against ethanol-induced neurotoxicity in embryonic rat hippocampal cultures. Alcohol 17:163–168. , , .
- 2013. Fetal alcohol spectrum disorder (FASD) associated neural defects: Complex mechanisms and potential therapeutic targets. Brain Sciences 3:964–991. , , , Marrs JA.
- 2001. Embryonic retinoic acid synthesis is essential for heart morphogenesis in the mouse. Development 128:1019–1031 , , , , , .
- 1991. Hypothesis: prenatal ethanol-induced birth defects and retinoic acid. Alcoholism Clin Exp Res 15:565–567. .
- 1999. Brain perfusion SPECT and MRI in foetal alcohol syndrome. Dev Med Child Neurol 41:652–659. , , , .
- 2008. Retinoic acid deficiency alters second heart field formation. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 105:2913–2918. , , , , , , , .
- 2010. Sec24D-dependent transport of extracellular matrix proteins is required for zebrafish skeletal morphogenesis. PloS One 5:e10367. , , , , , .
- Ethanol exposure disrupts extraembryonic microtubule cytoskeleton and embryonic blastomere cell adhesion, producing epiboly and gastrulation defects. Biology Open. , , , , Buente BB, Holdgrafer DJ, Ogbeifun O, Olorungbounmi OC, Patino L, Lucas R, Gilbert S, Groninger ES, Arciero J, Edenberg HJ, Marrs JA. In Press.
- 2010. Fetal alcohol syndrome: cardiac birth defects in mice and prevention with folate. Am J Obstet Gynecol 203:75e77–75e15. , , , .
- 2008. Retinoic acid controls heart anteroposterior patterning by down-regulating Isl1 through the Fgf8 pathway. Dev Dyn 237:1627–1635. , , .
- 2001. Zebrafish genetics and vertebrate heart formation. Nature Rev Genet 2:39–48. .
- 2012. Uncovering the molecular and cellular mechanisms of heart development using the zebrafish. Annu Rev Genet. , .
- 2011. Maternal alcohol drinking pattern during pregnancy and the risk for an offspring with an isolated congenital heart defect and in particular a ventricular septal defect or an atrial septal defect. Birth Defects Res A 91:616–622. , , , , , .
- 2005.High throughput expression analysis of ZF-models consortium clones. ZFIN Direct Data Submission (http://zfin.org.) .
- 1997. Retinoic acid reverses ethanol-induced cardiovascular abnormalities in quail embryos. Alcohol Clin Exp Res 21:1137–1143. .
- 2008. Hoxb5b acts downstream of retinoic acid signaling in the forelimb field to restrict heart field potential in zebrafish. Dev Cell 15:923–934. , , , , .
- 1984. Alcohol and congenital heart defects: an experimental study in mice. Cardiovasc Res 18:335–338. , , , .
- 2000. The zebrafish book. Eugene, OR: The University of Oregon Press. .
- 2001. Retinoid signaling and cardiac anteroposterior segmentation. Genesis 31:97–104. , , , , , .
- 2005. Ethanol exposure affects gene expression in the embryonic organizer and reduces retinoic acid levels. Dev Biol 279:193–204. , , , , , , .
- 1998. The interaction of ethanol and vitamin A as a potential mechanism for the pathogenesis of Fetal Alcohol syndrome. Alcoholism: Clin Exp Res 22:1544–1556. , .
- 2010. Ethanol exposure affects cell movement during gastrulation and induces split axes in zebrafish embryos. Int J Dev Neurosci 28:283–288. , , , , , , .
- 2011a. Alcohol alters DNA methylation patterns and inhibits neural stem cell differentiation. Alcohol Clin Exp Res 35:735–746. , , , , , .
- 2011b. Latent TGF-beta binding protein 3 identifies a second heart field in zebrafish. Nature 474:645–648. , , , , , , , , , , , , .