Na+/H+ exchanger 1 (NHE1) function is necessary for maintaining mammary tissue architecture
Version of Record online: 23 OCT 2013
Copyright © 2013 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Volume 243, Issue 2, pages 229–242, February 2014
How to Cite
Jenkins, E. C., Debnath, S., Varriano, S., Gundry, S. and Fata, J. E. (2014), Na+/H+ exchanger 1 (NHE1) function is necessary for maintaining mammary tissue architecture. Dev. Dyn., 243: 229–242. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.24032
- Issue online: 21 JAN 2014
- Version of Record online: 23 OCT 2013
- Accepted manuscript online: 22 AUG 2013 12:21PM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 2 AUG 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 18 JUL 2013
- Manuscript Received: 26 APR 2013
- 2005. Myoepithelial cells: good fences make good neighbors. Breast Cancer Res 7:190–197. , , , .
- 2011. The metastasis-promoting protein S100A4 regulates mammary branching morphogenesis. Dev Biol 352:181–190. , , , , , , .
- 1989. Functional differentiation and alveolar morphogenesis of primary mammary cultures on reconstituted basement membrane. Development 105:223–235. , , , .
- 2013. Chemical genetic screen reveals a role for desmosomal adhesion in mammary branching morphogenesis. J Biol Chem 288:2261–2270. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Intracellular pH modulation of ADF/cofilin proteins. Cell Motil Cytoskeleton 47:319–336. , , , , , .
- 1997. The p42/p44 mitogen-activated protein kinase cascade is determinant in mediating activation of the Na+/H+ exchanger (NHE1 isoform) in response to growth factors. J Biol Chem 272:271–279. , , .
- 2003. Polarity determination in breast tissue: desmosomal adhesion, myoepithelial cells, and laminin 1. Breast Cancer Res 5:117–119. , .
- 2002. The organizing principle: microenvironmental influences in the normal and malignant breast. Differentiation 70:537–546. , , , , .
- 2003. Tissue architecture: the ultimate regulator of breast epithelial function. Curr Opin Cell Biol 15:753–762. , , .
- 2005. The role of disturbed pH dynamics and the Na+/H+ exchanger in metastasis. Nat Rev Cancer 5:786–795. , , .
- 2010. Sensors and regulators of intracellular pH. Nat Rev Mol Cell Biol 11:50–61. , , .
- 2009. Nhe1 is a luminal Na+/H+ exchanger in mouse choroid plexus and is targeted to the basolateral membrane in Ncbe/Nbcn2-null mice. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 296:C1291–1300. , , , .
- 2002. Cell migration requires both ion translocation and cytoskeletal anchoring by the Na-H exchanger NHE1. J Cell Biol 159:1087–1096. , .
- 2000. Direct binding of the Na–H exchanger NHE1 to ERM proteins regulates the cortical cytoskeleton and cell shape independently of H(+) translocation. Mol Cell 6:1425–1436. , , , , .
- 2008. Collective epithelial migration and cell rearrangements drive mammary branching morphogenesis. Dev Cell 14:570–581. , , , , .
- 2001. Cellular turnover in the mammary gland is correlated with systemic levels of progesterone and not 17beta-estradiol during the estrous cycle. Biol Reprod 65:680–688. , , .
- 2007. The MAPK(ERK-1,2) pathway integrates distinct and antagonistic signals from TGFalpha and FGF7 in morphogenesis of mouse mammary epithelium. Dev Biol 306:193–207. , , , , , , .
- 1988. Differential role of cation and anion exchange in lymphocyte pH regulation. Ciba Found Symp 139:70–86. , , .
- 2006. Regulation of the Pleuronectes americanus Na+/H+ exchanger by osmotic shrinkage, beta-adrenergic stimuli, and inhibition of Ser/Thr protein phosphatases. Cell Biochem Biophys 45:1–18. , , , .
- 2006. The Na(+)/H(+) exchanger is a major pH regulator in GABAergic presynaptic nerve terminals synapsing onto rat CA3 pyramidal neurons. J Neurochem 99:1224–1236. , , , , , .
- 2012. Intracellular pH regulation by Na(+)/H(+) exchanger-1 (NHE1) is required for growth factor-induced mammary branching morphogenesis. Dev Biol 365:71–81. , , , , , .
- 2011. Mammary gland reprogramming: metalloproteinases couple form with function. Cold Spring Harb Perspect Biol 3. , .
- 2005. Stimulation of astrocyte Na+/H+ exchange activity in response to in vitro ischemia depends in part on activation of ERK1/2. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 289:C934–945. , , , .
- 2003. CEACAM1–4S, a cell-cell adhesion molecule, mediates apoptosis and reverts mammary carcinoma cells to a normal morphogenic phenotype in a 3D culture. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 100:521–526. , , , , .
- 2008. NHE-1: a molecular target for signalling and cell matrix interactions. Connect Tissue Res 49:157–161. , , .
- 2011. N-WASP regulates the epithelial junctional actin cytoskeleton through a non-canonical post-nucleation pathway. Nat Cell Biol 13:934–943. , , , , , , .
- 1969. Organ specificity in mesenchymal induction demonstrated in the embryonic development of the mammary gland of the mouse. Dev Biol 20:46–71. .
- 2004. Alterations of intracellular pH homeostasis in apoptosis: origins and roles. Cell Death Differ 11:953–961. , , .
- 2003. The activation of gelsolin by low pH: the calcium latch is sensitive to calcium but not pH. Eur J Biochem 270:4105–4112. , , , , , .
- 2000. Cell volume in the regulation of cell proliferation and apoptotic cell death. Cell Physiol Biochem 10:417–428. , , , , , , , , .
- 1995. Apoptosis in an interleukin-2-dependent cytotoxic T lymphocyte cell line is associated with intracellular acidification. Role of the Na(+)/H(+)-antiport. J Biol Chem 270:3203–3211. , .
- 2007. ERK1/2-p90RSK-mediated phosphorylation of Na+/H+ exchanger isoform 1. A role in ischemic neuronal death. J Biol Chem 282:28274–28284. , , , .
- 2007. Mitogen-activated protein kinase-dependent activation of the Na+/H+ exchanger is mediated through phosphorylation of amino acids Ser770 and Ser771. J Biol Chem 282:6292–6299. , , .
- 2011. Intracellular pH gradients in migrating cells. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 300:C490–495. , , , .
- 2011. Molecular regulators of pubertal mammary gland development. Ann Med 43:212–234. , .
- 2009. The sodium-hydrogen exchanger NHE1 is an Akt substrate necessary for actin filament reorganization by growth factors. J Biol Chem 284:26666–26675. , , , .
- 1975. Normal genetically mosaic mice produced from malignant teratocarcinoma cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 72:3585–3589. , .
- 1983. Na+/H+ exchange and cytoplasmic pH in the action of growth factors in human fibroblasts. Nature 304:645–648. , , , .
- 1999. Protein kinase-mediated regulation of the Na(+)/H(+) exchanger in the rat myocardium by mitogen-activated protein kinase-dependent pathways. J Biol Chem 274:22985–22992. , .
- 2009. Self-organization of engineered epithelial tubules by differential cellular motility. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 106:14890–14895. , , , , .
- 2005. Modeling dynamic reciprocity: engineering three-dimensional culture models of breast architecture, function, and neoplastic transformation. Semin Cancer Biol 15:342–352. , .
- 2006. Of extracellular matrix, scaffolds, and signaling: tissue architecture regulates development, homeostasis, and cancer. Annu Rev Cell Dev Biol 22:287–309. , .
- 2004. Epithelial-stromal interactions in the mouse and human mammary gland in vivo. Endocr Relat Cancer 11:437–458. , .
- 2011. Sustained activation of the HER1-ERK1/2-RSK signaling pathway controls myoepithelial cell fate in human mammary tissue. Genes Dev 25:1641–1653. , , , , , , .
- 2005. A developmentally regulated Na-H exchanger in Dictyostelium discoideum is necessary for cell polarity during chemotaxis. J Cell Biol 169:321–329. , .
- 2006. The Na+/H+ exchanger NHE1 in stress-induced signal transduction: implications for cell proliferation and cell death. Pflugers Arch 452:249–259. .
- 1984. A specific mutation abolishing Na+/H+ antiport activity in hamster fibroblasts precludes growth at neutral and acidic pH. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 81:4833–4837. , , , , .
- 2002. The changing face of the Na+/H+ exchanger, NHE1: structure, regulation, and cellular actions. Annu Rev Pharmacol Toxicol 42:527–552. , , .
- 2001. The interplay of matrix metalloproteinases, morphogens and growth factors is necessary for branching of mammary epithelial cells. Development 128:3117–3131. , , , , , .
- 2007. Structural and functional analysis of the Na+/H+ exchanger. Biochem J 401:623–633. , , , .
- 2010. Myosin II isoforms identify distinct functional modules that support integrity of the epithelial zonula adherens. Nat Cell Biol 12:696–702. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Na+/H+ exchangers and RhoA regulate acidic extracellular pH-induced lysosome trafficking in prostate cancer cells. Traffic 10:737–753. , , , , .
- 2006. Hormonal and local control of mammary branching morphogenesis. Differentiation 74:365–381. , , , .
- 2005. Mammary ductal morphogenesis requires paracrine activation of stromal EGFR via ADAM17-dependent shedding of epithelial amphiregulin. Development 132:3923–3933. , , , , , .
- 2006. Role of the Na/H exchanger NHE1 in cell migration. Acta Physiol (Oxf) 187:149–157. , .
- 2009. Protons make tumor cells move like clockwork. Pflugers Arch 458:981–992. , .
- 2005. Migration of human melanoma cells depends on extracellular pH and Na+/H+ exchange. J Physiol 567:225–238. , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Protons extruded by NHE1: digestive or glue? Eur J Cell Biol 87:591–599. , , , , , .
- 1995. Intracellular pH regulation in Hep G2 cells: effects of epidermal growth factor, transforming growth factor-alpha, and insulinlike growth factor-II on Na+/H+ exchange activity. Hepatology 22:588–597. , , , , , , .
- 1999. p90(RSK) is a serum-stimulated Na+/H+ exchanger isoform-1 kinase. Regulatory phosphorylation of serine 703 of Na+/H+ exchanger isoform-1. J Biol Chem 274:20206–20214. , , , , , , .
- 2012. alpha-Actinin-4/FSGS1 is required for Arp2/3-dependent actin assembly at the adherens junction. J Cell Biol 196:115–130. , .
- 2012. Coherent angular motion in the establishment of multicellular architecture of glandular tissues. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 109:1973–1978. , , , , .
- 1998. Na-H exchange acts downstream of RhoA to regulate integrin-induced cell adhesion and spreading. Mol Biol Cell 9:2287–2303. , .
- 2002. Phenotypic reversion or death of cancer cells by altering signaling pathways in three-dimensional contexts. J Natl Cancer Inst 94:1494–1503. , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Gene inactivation of Na+/H+ exchanger isoform 1 attenuates apoptosis and mitochondrial damage following transient focal cerebral ischemia. Eur J Neurosci 28:51–61. , , , , , .
- 2002. Stromal effects on mammary gland development and breast cancer. Science 296:1046–1049. , .
- 2003. Site-specific inductive and inhibitory activities of MMP-2 and MMP-3 orchestrate mammary gland branching morphogenesis. J Cell Biol 162:1123–1133. , , , , , , , , .
- 1998. The role of mammary stroma in modulating the proliferative response to ovarian hormones in the normal mammary gland. J Mammary Gland Biol Neoplasia 3:117–131. , , .
- 2012. Phototropin-dependent biased relocalization of cp-actin filaments can be induced even when chloroplast movement is inhibited. Plant Signal Behav 6:1651–1653. , , , .
- 2007. Rac-WAVE-mediated actin reorganization is required for organization and maintenance of cell-cell adhesion. J Cell Sci 120:86–100. , , .
- 2001. The Nck-interacting kinase (NIK) phosphorylates the Na+-H+ exchanger NHE1 and regulates NHE1 activation by platelet-derived growth factor. J Biol Chem 276:31349–31356. , , , .
- 2010. Inhibition of Na(+)/H(+) exchanger 1 by 5-(N-ethyl-N-isopropyl) amiloride reduces hypoxia-induced hepatocellular carcinoma invasion and motility. Cancer Lett 295:198–204. , , , , .
- 2011. Suppression of Na+/H + exchanger 1 by RNA interference or amiloride inhibits human hepatoma cell line SMMC-7721 cell invasion. Med Oncol 28:385–390. , , , , .
- 1995. Cell-to-cell adherens junction formation and actin filament organization: similarities and differences between non-polarized fibroblasts and polarized epithelial cells. J Cell Sci 108:127–142. , , , .
- 2013. JAK2 mediates the acute response to decreased cell volume in mouse preimplantation embryos by activating NHE1. J Cell Physiol 228:428–438. , .