Role of Sp5 as an essential early regulator of neural crest specification in xenopus
Version of Record online: 30 SEP 2013
Copyright © 2013 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Volume 242, Issue 12, pages 1382–1394, December 2013
How to Cite
Park, D.-S., Seo, J.-H., Hong, M., Bang, W., Han, J.-K. and Choi, S.-C. (2013), Role of Sp5 as an essential early regulator of neural crest specification in xenopus. Dev. Dyn., 242: 1382–1394. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.24034
- Issue online: 20 NOV 2013
- Version of Record online: 30 SEP 2013
- Accepted manuscript online: 26 AUG 2013 07:29AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 14 AUG 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 29 JUL 2013
- Manuscript Received: 9 MAR 2013
- National Research Foundation of Korea. Grant Numbers: 2010-0022904, 2010-0029491
- Asan Institute for Life Sciences. Grant Number: 2011-514
- 2003. Sox10 regulates the development of neural crest-derived melanocytes in Xenopus. Dev Biol 259:19–33. , , , , , , .
- 2002. Early induction of neural crest cells: lessons learned from frog, fish and chick. Curr Opin Genet Dev 12:452–458. , .
- 1999. Expression of Pax-3 in the lateral neural plate is dependent on a Wnt-mediated signal from posterior nonaxial mesoderm. Dev Biol 212:366–380. , , , .
- 2004. Molecular mechanisms of neural crest induction. Birth Defects Res C Embryo Today 72:109–123. , , .
- 1990. Post-transcriptional regulation of ornithine decarboxylase in Xenopus laevis oocytes. Development 110:955–962. , , , , .
- 1995. Anterior neurectoderm is progressively induced during gastrulation: the role of the Xenopus homeobox gene orthodenticle. Development 121:993–1004. , .
- 1993. The structure and expression of the Xenopus Krox-20 gene: conserved and divergent patterns of expression in rhombomeres and neural crest. Mech Dev 40:73–84. , , , .
- 1997. A beta-catenin/XTcf-3 complex binds to the siamois promoter to regulate dorsal axis specification in Xenopus. Genes Dev 11:2359–2370. , , , , .
- 2004. Six1 promotes a placodal fate within the lateral neurogenic ectoderm by functioning as both a transcriptional activator and repressor. Development 131:5871–5881. , , , , .
- 1998. Neural crest induction by Xwnt7B in Xenopus. Dev Biol 194:129–134. , .
- 2006. Elevated expression and potential roles of human Sp5, a member of Sp transcription factor family, in human cancers. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 340:758–766. , , , , , , , .
- 1993. Interactions between Xwnt-8 and Spemann organizer signaling pathways generate dorsoventral pattern in the embryonic mesoderm of Xenopus. Genes Dev 7:13–28. , .
- 1991. Xwnt-8, a Xenopus Wnt-1/int-1-related gene responsive to mesoderm-inducing growth factors, may play a role in ventral mesodermal patterning during embryogenesis. Development 111:1045–1055. , , , .
- 2006. Neural crest stem and progenitor cells. Annu Rev Cell Dev Biol 22:267–286. , .
- 2011. Reiterative AP2a activity controls sequential steps in the neural crest gene regulatory network. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 108:155–160. , , .
- 2007. Wnt-mediated down-regulation of Sp1 target genes by a transcriptional repressor Sp5. J Biol Chem 282:1225–1237. , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Ectodermal Wnt function as a neural crest inducer. Science 297:848–851. , , .
- 1995. Antagonizing the Spemann organizer: role of the homeobox gene Xvent-1. EMBO J 14:6268–6279. , , , , .
- 1998. Structural and functional analysis of mouse Msx1 gene promoter: sequence conservation with human MSX1 promoter points at potential regulatory elements. DNA Cell Biol 17:561–572. , , , .
- 1991. In situ hybridization: an improved whole-mount method for Xenopus embryos. Methods Cell Biol 36:685–695. .
- 2000. Sp5, a new member of the Sp1 family, is dynamically expressed during development and genetically interacts with Brachyury. Dev Biol 227:358–372. , , , .
- 2004. A slug, a fox, a pair of sox: transcriptional responses to neural crest inducing signals. Birth Defects Res C Embryo Today 72:124–139. , .
- 2007. The activity of Pax3 and Zic1 regulates three distinct cell fates at the neural plate border. Mol Biol Cell 18:2192–2202. , .
- 2008. Fgf8a induces neural crest indirectly through the activation of Wnt8 in the paraxial mesoderm. Development 135:3903–3910. , , .
- 1999. FGF signaling and the anterior neural induction in Xenopus. Dev Biol 216:561–581. , , .
- 1996. Expression of a dominant-negative Wnt blocks induction of MyoD in Xenopus embryos. Genes Dev 10:2805–2817. , , .
- 2001. A morphogen gradient of Wnt/beta-catenin signalling regulates anteroposterior neural patterning in Xenopus. Development 128:4189–4201. , .
- 1998. Neural crest induction in Xenopus: evidence for a two-signal model. Development 125:2403–2414. , .
- 2003. Multipotentiality of the neural crest. Curr Opin Genet Dev 13:529–536. , .
- 2004. Reiterated Wnt signaling during zebrafish neural crest development. Development 131:1299–1308. , , , , , , .
- 2009. The posteriorizing gene Gbx2 is a direct target of Wnt signalling and the earliest factor in neural crest induction. Development 136:3267–3278. , , , .
- 1997. Xmsx-1 modifies mesodermal tissue pattern along dorsoventral axis in Xenopus laevis embryo. Development 124:2553–2560. , , , , , .
- 1994. A truncated bone morphogenetic protein 4 receptor alters the fate of ventral mesoderm to dorsal mesoderm: roles of animal pole tissue in the development of ventral mesoderm. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 91:10260–10264. , , , , .
- 1998. The inductive properties of mesoderm suggest that the neural crest cells are specified by a BMP gradient. Dev Biol 198:319–329. , , , , .
- 1995. Induction of the prospective neural crest of Xenopus. Development 121:767–777. , , .
- 1997. Wnt and FGF pathways cooperatively pattern anteroposterior neural ectoderm in Xenopus. Mech Dev 69:105–114. , , .
- 1998. Xenopus Zic-related-1 and Sox-2, two factors induced by chordin, have distinct activities in the initiation of neural induction. Development 125:579–587. , , , , .
- 2003. Neural crest induction by paraxial mesoderm in Xenopus embryos requires FGF signals. Development 130:3111–3124. , , .
- 2005. Msx1 and Pax3 cooperate to mediate FGF8 and WNT signals during Xenopus neural crest induction. Dev Cell 8:167–178. , , .
- 1994. Normal table of Xenopus laevis (Daudin) : a systematical and chronological survey of the development from the fertilized egg till the end of metamorphosis. New York: Garland Pub. 252 p, 210 leaves of plates. , .
- 1996. The Xvent-2 homeobox gene is part of the BMP-4 signalling pathway controlling [correction of controling] dorsoventral patterning of Xenopus mesoderm. Development 122:3045–3053. , , , , , , .
- 2002. XSPR-1 and XSPR-2, novel Sp1 related zinc finger containing genes, are dynamically expressed during Xenopus embryogenesis. Mech Dev 115:117–122. , , .
- 2000. Xenopus Six1 gene is expressed in neurogenic cranial placodes and maintained in the differentiating lateral lines. Mech Dev 96:253–257. , .
- 2012. Induction of the neural crest state: control of stem cell attributes by gene regulatory, post-transcriptional and epigenetic interactions. Dev Biol 366:10–21. , , .
- 2005. Sp transcription factor family and its role in cancer. Eur J Cancer 41:2438–2448. , .
- 2005. Neural crest determination by co-activation of Pax3 and Zic1 genes in Xenopus ectoderm. Development 132:2355–2363. , , .
- 2008. A gene regulatory network orchestrates neural crest formation. Nat Rev Mol Cell Biol 9:557–568. , .
- 2005. Isolation of Xenopus FGF-8b and comparison with FGF-8a. Mol Cells 19:310–317. , , , , .
- 1989. Progressive determination during formation of the anteroposterior axis in Xenopus laevis. Cell 58:171–180. , , .
- 2002. The transcription factor Sox9 is required for cranial neural crest development in Xenopus. Development 129:421–432. , , , , .
- 2009. Differential requirements of BMP and Wnt signalling during gastrulation and neurulation define two steps in neural crest induction. Development 136:771–779. , , , , .
- 2005. Genetic network during neural crest induction: from cell specification to cell survival. Semin Cell Dev Biol 16:647–654. , , .
- 2012. Current perspectives of the signaling pathways directing neural crest induction. Cell Mol Life Sci 69:3715–3737. , .
- 2005. Mammalian SP/KLF transcription factors: bring in the family. Genomics 85:551–556. , , .
- 1994. A truncated bone morphogenetic protein receptor affects dorsal-ventral patterning in the early Xenopus embryo. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 91:10255–10259. , , , , , , .
- 1997. Xenopus msx1 mediates epidermal induction and neural inhibition by BMP4. Development 124:3037–3044. , , .
- 2001. The zebrafish buttonhead-like factor Bts1 is an early regulator of pax2.1 expression during mid-hindbrain development. Development 128:4021–4034. , , , , , .
- 2012. Neural crest delamination and migration: from epithelium-to-mesenchyme transition to collective cell migration. Dev Biol 366:34–54. , .
- 2005. Wnt/beta-catenin regulation of the Sp1-related transcription factor sp5l promotes tail development in zebrafish. Development 132:1763–1772. , , .
- 2001. The novel transcription factor gene Sp5 exhibits a dynamic and highly restricted expression pattern during mouse embryogenesis. Mech Dev 101:175–179. , , .
- 2003. mBtd is required to maintain signaling during murine limb development. Genes Dev 17:2630–2635. , , , , .
- 2003. Regulation of Msx genes by a Bmp gradient is essential for neural crest specification. Development 130:6441–6452. , , , , .
- 2005. The Sp1-related transcription factors sp5 and sp5-like act downstream of Wnt/beta-catenin signaling in mesoderm and neuroectoderm patterning. Curr Biol 15:489–500. , , , , .
- 2005. Neural crest induction by the canonical Wnt pathway can be dissociated from anterior-posterior neural patterning in Xenopus. Dev Biol 279:220–232. , , .
- 1996. The axis-inducing activity, stability, and subcellular distribution of beta-catenin is regulated in Xenopus embryos by glycogen synthase kinase 3. Genes Dev 10:1443–1454. , , , , , .
- 2003. An SP1-like transcription factor Spr2 acts downstream of Fgf signaling to mediate mesoderm induction. EMBO J 22:6078–6088. , , , , .