Patterns & Phenotypes
The germinal matrices in the developing dentate gyrus are composed of neuronal progenitors at distinct differentiation stages
Version of Record online: 7 OCT 2013
Copyright © 2013 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Volume 242, Issue 12, pages 1442–1453, December 2013
How to Cite
Sugiyama, T., Osumi, N. and Katsuyama, Y. (2013), The germinal matrices in the developing dentate gyrus are composed of neuronal progenitors at distinct differentiation stages. Dev. Dyn., 242: 1442–1453. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.24035
- Issue online: 20 NOV 2013
- Version of Record online: 7 OCT 2013
- Accepted manuscript online: 29 AUG 2013 08:41AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 4 AUG 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 1 AUG 2013
- Manuscript Received: 25 JUN 2013
- KAKENHI of MEXT . Grant Number: 22570202
- Tohoku University Graduate School of Medicine
- 2011. Resolving new memories: a critical look at the dentate gyrus, adult neurogenesis, and pattern separation. Neuron 70:589–596. , , .
- 1990a. Migration and distribution of two populations of hippocampal granule cell precursors during the perinatal and postnatal periods. J Comp Neurol 301:365–381. , .
- 1990b. Mosaic organization of the hippocampal neuroepithelium and the multiple germinal sources of dentate granule cells. J Comp Neurol 301:325–342. , .
- 1965. Autoradiographic and histological evidence of postnatal hippocampal neurogenesis in rats. J Comp Neurol 124:319–335. , .
- 1989. The three-dimensional organization of the hippocampal formation: a review of anatomical data. Neuroscience 31:571–591. , .
- 1965. Time of neuron origin in the hippocampal region. An autoradiographic study in the mouse. Exp Neurol Suppl:Suppl 2:1–70. .
- 2008. The T-box transcription factor Eomes/Tbr2 regulates neurogenesis in the cortical subventricular zone. Genes Dev 22:2479–2484. , , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Expression of SDF-1 and CXCR4 during reorganization of the postnatal dentate gyrus. Dev Neurosci 29:48–58. , , , , .
- 2000. Regulation of area identity in the mammalian neocortex by Emx2 and Pax6. Science 288:344–349. , , .
- 1992. Expression of proliferation associated antigens in the cell cycle of synchronized mammalian cells. Cytometry 13:117–126. , , , , .
- 1985. Cell cycle-dependent variations in the distribution of the nuclear protein cyclin proliferating cell nuclear antigen in cultured cells: subdivision of S phase. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 82:3262–3266. , .
- 2011. Pax6 is required at the telencephalic pallial-subpallial boundary for the generation of neuronal diversity in the postnatal limbic system. J Neurosci 31:5313–5324. , , , , , , , , .
- 2010. New neurons and new memories: how does adult hippocampal neurogenesis affect learning and memory? Nat Rev Neurosci 11:339–350. , , .
- 2012. Spatiotemporal expression patterns of Pax6 in the brain of embryonic, newborn, and adult mice. Brain Struct Funct 218:353–372. , , , .
- 2005. Pax6, Tbr2, and Tbr1 are expressed sequentially by radial glia, intermediate progenitor cells, and postmitotic neurons in developing neocortex. J Neurosci 25:247–251. , , , , , , , .
- 2005. SOX2 functions in adult neural stem cells. Trends Neurosci 28:219–221. .
- 2009. Hippocampal development and neural stem cell maintenance require Sox2-dependent regulation of Shh. Nat Neurosci 12:1248–1256. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2011. Dynamics of retrieval strategies for remote memories. Cell 147:678–689. , , , , , , .
- 1998. Pax6 controls radial glia differentiation in the cerebral cortex. Neuron 21:1031–1044. , , .
- 2006. Transcription factors in glutamatergic neurogenesis: conserved programs in neocortex, cerebellum, and adult hippocampus. Neurosci Res 55:223–233. , , , .
- 2008. Intermediate progenitors in adult hippocampal neurogenesis: Tbr2 expression and coordinate regulation of neuronal output. J Neurosci 28:3707–3717. , , , , , , , .
- 2012. Tbr2 is essential for hippocampal lineage progression from neural stem cells to intermediate progenitors and neurons. J Neurosci 32:6275–6287. , , , , , , .
- 2013. Tbr2 expression in cajal-retzius cells and intermediate neuronal progenitors is required for morphogenesis of the dentate gyrus. J Neurosci 33:4165–4180. , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Fate mapping of the mouse prosencephalic neural plate. Dev Biol 219:373–383. , , .
- 2012. Prox1 postmitotically defines dentate gyrus cells by specifying granule cell identity over CA3 pyramidal cell fate in the hippocampus. Development 139:3051–3062. , , , , .
- 1999. A simple and sensitive antigen retrieval method for free-floating and slide-mounted tissue sections. J Neurosci Methods 93:149–162. , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Milestones of neuronal development in the adult hippocampus. Trends Neurosci 27:447–452. , , , .
- 2009. Expression of Disabled 1 suppresses astroglial differentiation in neural stem cells. Mol Cell Neurosci 40:50–61. , , , , , , .
- 2010. Prox1 is required for granule cell maturation and intermediate progenitor maintenance during brain neurogenesis. PLoS Biol 8. , , , , .
- 2000. Expression of neuroD/BETA2 in mitotic and postmitotic neuronal cells during the development of nervous system. Dev Dyn 217:361–367. , , , , , .
- 2000. Dynamics of DNA replication factories in living cells. J Cell Biol 149:271–280. , , , , , , .
- 2013. The ventral hippocampus is the embryonic origin for adult neural stem cells in the dentate gyrus. Neuron 78:658–672. , , , .
- 2009. Identification of a transient subpial neurogenic zone in the developing dentate gyrus and its regulation by Cxcl12 and reelin signaling. Development 136:327–335. , , , .
- 1992. Clinical application of morphologic and immunocytochemical assessments of cell proliferation. Am J Clin Pathol 97:S4–13. , , , .
- 2000. Loss of BETA2/NeuroD leads to malformation of the dentate gyrus and epilepsy. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 97:865–870. , , , , , , .
- 2012. Optogenetic stimulation of a hippocampal engram activates fear memory recall. Nature 484:381–385. , , , , , , .
- 2005. Pax6 is required for production and maintenance of progenitor cells in postnatal hippocampal neurogenesis. Genes Cells 10:1001–1014. , , , , , , .
- 1999. NeuroD is required for differentiation of the granule cells in the cerebellum and hippocampus. Genes Dev 13:1647–1652. , , .
- 2012. Young dentate granule cells mediate pattern separation, whereas old granule cells facilitate pattern completion. Cell 149:188–201. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Concise review: Pax6 transcription factor contributes to both embryonic and adult neurogenesis as a multifunctional regulator. Stem Cells 26:1663–1672. , , , .
- 2000. Unique expression patterns of cell fate molecules delineate sequential stages of dentate gyrus development. J Neurosci 20:6095–6105. , , .
- 1987. Organization of radial glial cells during the development of the rat dentate gyrus. J Comp Neurol 264:449–479. , , .
- 2009. The level of the transcription factor Pax6 is essential for controlling the balance between neural stem cell self-renewal and neurogenesis. PLoS Genet 5:e1000511. , , , , , , , , .
- 1993. Highly polysialylated neural cell adhesion molecule (NCAM-H) is expressed by newly generated granule cells in the dentate gyrus of the adult rat. J Neurosci 13:2351–2358. , .
- 2008. Tbr2 directs conversion of radial glia into basal precursors and guides neuronal amplification by indirect neurogenesis in the developing neocortex. Neuron 60:56–69. , , , , .
- 2009. Retinoic acid from the meninges regulates cortical neuron generation. Cell 139:597–609. , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Pax6-dependent regulation of adhesive patterning, R-cadherin expression and boundary formation in developing forebrain. Development 124:3765–3777. , , , .
- 2001. Detailed field pattern is intrinsic to the embryonic mouse hippocampus early in neurogenesis. J Neurosci 21:1580–1589. , .
- 2011. Immunohistological markers for proliferative events, gliogenesis, and neurogenesis within the adult hippocampus. Cell Tissue Res 345:1–19. .
- 2008. Pax6 directly modulate Sox2 expression in the neural progenitor cells. Neuroreport 19:413–417. , , , , , , .
- 2007. The perforant path: projections from the entorhinal cortex to the dentate gyrus. Prog Brain Res 163:43–61. .