Patterns & Phenotypes
Piwi regulates Vasa accumulation during embryogenesis in the sea urchin
Article first published online: 2 DEC 2013
Copyright © 2013 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Volume 243, Issue 3, pages 451–458, March 2014
How to Cite
Yajima, M., Gustafson, E. A., Song, J. L. and Wessel, G. M. (2014), Piwi regulates Vasa accumulation during embryogenesis in the sea urchin. Dev. Dyn., 243: 451–458. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.24096
- Issue published online: 18 FEB 2014
- Article first published online: 2 DEC 2013
- Accepted manuscript online: 12 NOV 2013 02:44AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 7 NOV 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 29 OCT 2013
- Manuscript Received: 10 SEP 2013
- NIH. Grant Number: 2R01HD028152
- NSF. Grant Number: IOS-1120972
- 2007. The Piwi-piRNA pathway provides an adaptive defense in the transposon arms race. Science 318:761–764. , , .
- 2001. Double-stranded RNA-mediated silencing of genomic tandem repeats and transposable elements in the D. melanogaster germline. Curr Biol 11:1017–1027. , , , , , .
- 2012. piRNAs can trigger a multigenerational epigenetic memory in the germline of C. elegans. Cell 150:88–99. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2012. Function, targets, and evolution of Caenorhabditis elegans piRNAs. Science 337:574–578. , , , , , , , .
- 2012. Programmed reduction of ABC transporter activity in sea urchin germline progenitors. Development 139:783–792. , .
- 2002. miwi, a murine homolog of piwi, encodes a cytoplasmic protein essential for spermatogenesis. Dev Cell 2:819–830. , .
- 2009. Role of the nanos homolog during sea urchin development. Dev Dyn 238:2511–2521. , , , , , , , .
- 2011. Post-translational regulation by gustavus contributes to selective Vasa protein accumulation in multipotent cells during embryogenesis. Dev Biol 349:440–450. , , , .
- 2013. Biology of PIWI-interacting RNAs: new insights into biogenesis and function inside and outside of germlines Genes Dev 26:2361–2373. , , .
- 2008. Biogenesis and germline functions of piRNAs. Development 135:3–9. , .
- 2010. Regulation of Drosophila Vasa in vivo through paralogous Cullin-RING E3 ligase specificity receptors. Mol Cell Biol 30:1769–1782. , , , ,
- 2006. Germ line determinants are not localized early in sea urchin development, but do accumulate in the small micromere lineage. Dev Biol 300:406–415. , , , , , .
- 2010. Nanos functions to maintain the fate of the small micromere lineage in the sea urchin embryo. Dev Biol 337:220–232. , , .
- 2012. C. elegans piRNAs mediate the genome-wide surveillance of germline transcripts. Cell 150:78–87. , , , , , .
- 2010. Population dynamics of PIWI-interacting RNAs (piRNAs) and their targets in Drosophila. Genome Res 20:212–227. , .
- 2012. Opposing nodal and BMP signals regulate left-right asymmetry in the sea urchin larva. PLOS Biol 10:e1001402. and .
- 2012. Extremely stable Piwi-induced gene silencing in Caenorhabditis elegans. EMBO J 31:3422–3430. , , , , , , .
- 2013. Untangling the web: the diverse functions of the PIWI/piRNA pathway. Mol Reprod Dev 80:632–664. , .
- 2008. The many faces of the SOCS box. Cytokine Growth Factor Rev 19:371–381. , , , .
- 2012. A role for neuronal piRNAs in the epigenetic control of memory-related synaptic plasticity. Cell 149:693–707. , , , , , , .
- 1996. Postembryonic segregation of the germ line in sea urchins in relation to indirect development. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 93:6759–6763. , , .
- 2005. Seawi-a sea urchin piwi/argonaute family member is a component of MT-RNP complexes. RNA 11:646–656. , , , , , , .
- 2010. Maternal mRNA deadenylation and decay by the piRNA pathway in the early Drosophila embryo. Nature 467:1128–1132. , , , , , , , , .
- 2012. piRNAs initiate an epigenetic memory of nonself RNA in the C. elegans germline. Cell 150:65–77. , , , , , , .
- 2012. Select microRNAs are essential for early development in the sea urchin. Dev Biol 362:104–113. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Genes involved in the RNA interference pathway are differentially expressed during sea urchin development. Dev Dyn 236:3180–3190. , .
- 2002. VASA localization requires the SPRY-domain and SOCS-box containing protein, GUSTAVUS. Dev Cell 3:865–876. , , .
- 1990. Study of the lineage and cell cycle of small micromeres in embryos of the sea urchin, Hemicentrotus pulcherrimus. Dev Growth Differ 32:145–156. , .
- 2008. Vasa protein expression is restricted to the small micromeres of the sea urchin, but is inducible in other lineages early in development. Dev Biol 314:276–286. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2012. Identification and characterization of piRNA-like small RNAs in the gonad of sea urchin (Strongylocentrotus nudus). Mar Biotechnol (NY) 14:459–467. , ,
- 2013. The biology of the germ line in echinoderms. Mol Reprod Dev [Epub ahead of press]. , , , , , , , , ,
- 2006. Study of larval and adult skeletogenic cells in the developing sea urchin larvae. Biol Bull 211:183–192. , .
- 2007. Ars insulator protectstransgenes from long-term silencing in sea urchin larvae. Dev Genes Evol 217:331–336. , , .
- 2011a. Small micromeres contribute to the germline in the sea urchin. Development 138:237–243. , .
- 2011b. The DEAD-box RNA helicase Vasa functions in embryonic mitotic progression in the sea urchin. Development 138:2217–2222. , .
- 2012. Autonomy in specification of primordial germ cells and their passive translocation in the sea urchin. Development 139:3786–3794. , .
- 2013. Meiotic gene expression initiates during larval development in the sea urchin. Dev Dyn 242:155–163. , , , .