FGF7 signals are relayed to autocrine EGF family growth factors to induce branching morphogenesis of mouse salivary epithelium
Version of Record online: 19 DEC 2013
Copyright © 2013 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Volume 243, Issue 4, pages 552–559, April 2014
How to Cite
Kera, H., Yuki, S. and Nogawa, H. (2014), FGF7 signals are relayed to autocrine EGF family growth factors to induce branching morphogenesis of mouse salivary epithelium. Dev. Dyn., 243: 552–559. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.24097
- Issue online: 25 MAR 2014
- Version of Record online: 19 DEC 2013
- Accepted manuscript online: 14 NOV 2013 02:00AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 11 NOV 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 25 OCT 2013
- Manuscript Received: 12 SEP 2013
- JSPS KAKENHI. Grant Number: 22570059
- 2004. Cell surface receptors in lysophospholipid signaling. Semin Cell Dev Biol 15:457–465. , .
- 2000. An important role for the IIIb isoform of fibroblast growth factor receptor 2 (FGFR2) in mesenchymal-epithelial signalling during mouse organogenesis. Development 127:483–492. , , , , , .
- 2002. Lysophosphatidic acid upregulates the epidermal growth factor receptor in human airway smooth muscle cells. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 282:L91–L98. , , .
- 1997. Expression of epidermal growth factor receptor in fetal mouse submandibular gland detected by a biotinyltyramide-based catalyzed signal amplification method. J Histochem Cytochem 45:1651–1657. , , , , , .
- 1953. Eithelio-mesenchymal specificity in the morphogenesis of mouse sub-mandibular rudiments in vitro. J Exp Zool 124:383–413. .
- 1996. Keratinocyte growth factor is required for hair development but not for wound healing. Genes Dev 10:165–175. , , .
- 2009. EGF-receptor regulates salivary gland branching morphogenesis by supporting proliferation and maturation of epithelial cells and survival of mesenchymal cells. Differentiation 77:298–306. , , .
- 2002. Gene expression profiles of mouse submandibular gland development: FGFR1 regulates branching morphogenesis in vitro through BMP- and FGF-dependent mechanisms. Development 129:5767–5778. , , , , , , .
- 2008. Functional evolutionary history of the mouse Fgf gene family. Dev Dyn 237:18–27. , .
- 1999. Submandibular gland morphogenesis: stage-specific expression of TGF-α/EGF, IGF, TGF-β, TNF, and IL-6 signal transduction in normal embryonic mice and the phenotypic effects of TGF-β2, TGF-β3, and EGF-R null mutations. Anat Rec 256:252–268. , .
- 2004. FGF8 dose-dependent regulation of embryonic submandibular salivary gland morphogenesis. Dev Biol 268:457–469. , , , , , .
- 2005. FGF10/FGFR2b signaling plays essential roles during in vivo embryonic submandibular salivary gland morphogenesis. BMC Dev Biol 5:11. , , , , , , .
- 1997. Epidermal growth factor system is a physiological regulator of development of mouse fetal submandibular gland and regulates expression of the α6-integrin subunit by EGF. Dev Dyn 208:149–161. , .
- 2000. The ERK-1/2 signaling pathway is involved in the stimulation of branching morphogenesis of fetal mouse submandibular glands by EGF. Dev Biol 220:183–196. , , , , , , .
- 2008. Signaling pathways activated by epidermal growth factor receptor or fibroblast growth factor receptor differentially regulate branching morphogenesis in fetal mouse submandibular glands. Dev Growth Differ 50:565–576. , , , , , .
- 2004. Tissue interaction mediated by neuregulin-1 and ErbB receptors regulates epithelial morphogenesis of mouse embryonic submandibular gland. Dev Dyn 230:591–596. , , .
- 2004. The ins and outs of lysophosphtidic acid signaling. Bioessays 26:870–881. , , .
- 1999. EGF-dependent lobule formation and FGF7-dependent stalk elongation in branching morphogenesis of mouse salivary epithelium in vitro. Dev Dyn 215:148–154. , .
- 2009. FGF alters epithelial competence for EGF at the initiation of branching morphogenesis of mouse submandibular gland. Dev Dyn 238:315–323. , , .
- 1991. Substitution for mesenchyme by basement-membrane-like substratum and epidermal growth factor in inducing branching morphogenesis of mouse salivary epithelium. Development 112:855–861. , .
- 1995. Branching morphogenesis of embryonic mouse lung epithelium in mesenchyme-free culture. Development 121:1015–1022. , .
- 2006. Lysophosphatidic acid cooperates with EGF in inducing branching morphogenesis of embryonic mouse salivary epithelium. Dev Dyn 235:403–410. , , , , , .
- 2000. FGF10 acts as a major ligand for FGF receptor 2 IIIb in mouse multi-organ development. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 277:643–649. , , , , , , .
- 2013. Autocrine growth factors are involved in branching morphogenesis of mouse lung epithelium. Zool Sci 30:1–6. , , .
- 2010. Evidence of interlobular repulsion during branching morphogenesis in mouse salivary glands. Dev Dyn 239:2208–2218. , , .
- 2006. Salivary gland branching morphogenesis. Differentiation 74:349–364. , , .
- 1998. Specificity within the EGF family/ErbB receptor family signaling network. Bioessays 20:41–48. , .
- 2005. FGFR2b signaling regulates ex vivo submandibular gland epithelial cell proliferation and branching morphogenesis. Development 132:1223–1234. , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Involvement of heparin-binding EGF-like growth factor and its processing by metalloproteinases in early epithelial morphogenesis of the submandibular gland. Dev Biol 237:202–211. , , , , , .
- 2013. Dynamic relationship of the epithelium and mesenchyme during salivary gland initiation: the role of Fgf10. Biol Open 2:981–989. , , , , , .
- 1977. “Tissue interactions and development” Menlo Park, CA: WA Benjamin Inc. .