Special Issue Research Article
Pax3 isoforms in sensory neurogenesis: Expression and function in the ophthalmic trigeminal placode
Version of Record online: 28 JAN 2014
Copyright © 2013 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Special Issue: Sensory Systems: Development, Disease & Regeneration
Volume 243, Issue 10, pages 1249–1261, October 2014
How to Cite
Adams, J. S., Sudweeks, S. N. and Stark, M. R. (2014), Pax3 isoforms in sensory neurogenesis: Expression and function in the ophthalmic trigeminal placode. Dev. Dyn., 243: 1249–1261. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.24108
- Issue online: 25 SEP 2014
- Version of Record online: 28 JAN 2014
- Accepted manuscript online: 24 DEC 2013 12:04AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 12 DEC 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 10 DEC 2013
- Manuscript Received: 21 AUG 2013
- NIH/NICHD. Grant Number: 1R01HD046475
- BYU Graduate Mentoring Award
- 2004. Cross-talk between the paired domain and the homeodomain of Pax3: DNA binding by each domain causes a structural change in the other domain, supporting interdependence for DNA Binding. J Biol Chem 279:33601–33612. , , , .
- 1954. Analysis of the developmental effects of a lethal mutation in the house mouse. J Exp Zool 127:305–329. .
- 2006. A novel genetic hierarchy functions during hypaxial myogenesis: Pax3 directly activates Myf5 in muscle progenitor cells in the limb. Genes Dev 20:2450–2464. , , , , , .
- 1999. Competence, specification and induction of Pax-3 in the trigeminal placode. Development 126:147–156. , , , .
- 2000. Establishing neuronal identity in vertebrate neurogenic placodes. Development 127:3045–3056. , .
- 1999. PAX3 gene structure, alternative splicing and evolution. Gene 237:311–319. , , , .
- 1993. Rearrangement of the PAX3 paired box gene in the paediatric solid tumour alveolar rhabdomyosarcoma. Nat Genet 3:113–117. , , , , , .
- 1999. Predominant expression of alternative PAX3 and PAX7 forms in myogenic and neural tumor cell lines. Cancer Res 59:5443–5448. , , , , , .
- 2002. Early steps in the production of sensory neurons by the neurogenic placodes. Mol Cell Neurosci 21:502–511. , , .
- 2009. Structural basis for DNA recognition by the human PAX3 homeodomain. Biochemistry 48:1148–1155. , , .
- 2005. Pax3 transcripts in melanoblast development. Dev Growth Differ 47:627–635. , .
- 1994. Pax-3 is required for the development of limb muscles: a possible role for the migration of dermomyotomal muscle progenitor cells. Development 120:603–612. , , , , .
- 1999. Pax3 functions in cell survival and in pax7 regulation. Development 126:1665–1674. , , , , .
- 2008. Neural tube derived Wnt signals cooperate with FGF signaling in the formation and differentiation of the trigeminal placodes. Neural Dev 3:35. , , , , .
- 1994a. Pax-3 contains domains for transcription activation and transcription inhibition. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 91:12745–12749. , , , .
- 1994b. Pax-3-DNA interaction: flexibility in the DNA binding and induction of DNA conformational changes by paired domains. Nucleic Acids Res 22:3131–3137. , , .
- 2001. Improved method for chick whole-embryo culture using a filter paper carrier. Dev Dyn 220:284–289. , , , .
- 2009. Integrated functions of Pax3 and Pax7 in the regulation of proliferation, cell size and myogenic differentiation. PLoS One 4:e4475. , , , , , , , .
- 2002. The regulation of Notch signaling controls satellite cell activation and cell fate determination in postnatal myogenesis. Dev Cell 3:397–409. , .
- 1983. Contributions of placodal and neural crest cells to avian cranial peripheral ganglia. Am J Anat 166:445–468. , .
- 2000. Culture of avian embryos. Methods Mol Biol 135:31–38. , .
- 2009. Activation of Pax3 target genes is necessary but not sufficient for neurogenesis in the ophthalmic trigeminal placode. Dev Biol 326:314–326. , , , , , , .
- 2000. Transcriptional repression by Pax5 (BSAP) through interaction with corepressors of the Groucho family. EMBO J 19:2292–2303. , , , .
- 1991. Splotch (Sp2H), a mutation affecting development of the mouse neural tube, shows a deletion within the paired homeodomain of Pax-3. Cell 67:767–774. , , .
- 1993. A mutation within intron 3 of the Pax-3 gene produces aberrantly spliced mRNA transcripts in the splotch (Sp) mouse mutant. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 90:532–536. , , , .
- 1996. Serum growth factor regulation of the paired-box transcription factor Pax-3 in neuronal cells. Neurosci Lett 220:125–128. , .
- 2003. Sonic hedgehog regulates the position of the trigeminal ganglia. Dev Biol 261:456–469. , , .
- 1998. Helix 2 of the paired domain plays a key role in the regulation of DNA-binding by the Pax-3 homeodomain. Nucleic Acids Res 26:4574–4581. , , .
- 1991. Pax-3, a novel murine DNA binding protein expressed during early neurogenesis. EMBO J 10:1135–1147. , , , , .
- 2006. Transcriptional repression activity of PAX3 is modulated by competition between corepressor KAP1 and heterochromatin protein 1. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 349:573–581. , , , .
- 2011. Role of Pax3 acetylation in the regulation of Hes1 and Neurog2. Mol Biol Cell 22:503–512. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Delta-1 activation of notch-1 signaling results in HES-1 transactivation. Mol Cell Biol 18:7423–7431. , , , , , , , , .
- 1995. Pax3: a paired domain gene as a regulator in PNS myelination. Neuron 15:553–562. , , .
- 2002. Msx2 is an immediate downstream effector of Pax3 in the development of the murine cardiac neural crest. Development 129:527–538. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1995. Further elucidation of the genomic structure of PAX3, and identification of two different point mutations within the PAX3 homeobox that cause Waardenburg syndrome type 1 in two families. Am J Hum Genet 56:75–83. , , , , , , .
- 2007. Canonical Wnt signaling is required for ophthalmic trigeminal placode cell fate determination and maintenance. Dev Biol 308:392–406. , , , , , .
- 2009. FGF signaling is essential for ophthalmic trigeminal placode cell delamination and differentiation. Dev Dyn 238:1073–1082. , , , , .
- 2010. Sensory neuron differentiation is regulated by notch signaling in the trigeminal placode. Dev Biol 344:836–848. , , , , .
- 1996. Mapping of Pax-2 transcription activation domains. J Biol Chem 271:21088–21093. , .
- 2001. Analysis of relative gene expression data using real-time quantitative PCR and the 2(-Delta Delta C(T)) Method. Methods 25:402–408. , .
- 2001. Pax3 acts cell autonomously in the neural tube and somites by controlling cell surface properties. Development 128:1995–2005. , , , .
- 1994. Distinct developmental expression of a new avian fibroblast growth factor receptor. Development 120:683–694. , , , , .
- 1997. Ectopic Pax-3 activates MyoD and Myf-5 expression in embryonic mesoderm and neural tissue. Cell 89:139–148. , , , , , .
- 2001. Microarray analysis detects novel Pax3 downstream target genes. J Biol Chem 276:49299–49309. , , , , , , .
- 2008. Essential role for PDGF signaling in ophthalmic trigeminal placode induction. Development 135:1863–1874. , .
- 2006. Transcriptional activity of Pax3 is co-activated by TAZ. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 339:533–539. , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Key basic helix-loop-helix transcription factor genes Hes1 and Ngn2 are regulated by Pax3 during mouse embryonic development. Dev Biol 316:510–523. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Expression of PAX 3 alternatively spliced transcripts and identification of two new isoforms in human tumors of neural crest origin. Int J Cancer 108:314–320. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Early specification of sensory neuron fate revealed by expression and function of neurogenins in the chick embryo. Development 126:1715–1728. , , .
- 2003. Alternative splicing of Pax3 produces a transcriptionally inactive protein. Gene 305:61–69. , , .
- 2003. The transcriptional activator PAX3-FKHR rescues the defects of Pax3 mutant mice but induces a myogenic gain-of-function phenotype with ligand-independent activation of Met signaling in vivo. Genes Dev 17:2950–2965. , , , , , .
- 1998. The zebrafish Pax3 and Pax7 homologues are highly conserved, encode multiple isoforms and show dynamic segment-like expression in the developing brain. Mech Dev 70:49–63. , , , , .
- 1997. Analysis of neural crest cell migration in Splotch mice using a neural crest-specific LacZ reporter. Dev Biol 185:139–147. , .
- 1997. Neural tube-ectoderm interactions are required for trigeminal placode formation. Development 124:4287–4295. , , , .
- 2004. Early development of the cranial sensory nervous system: from a common field to individual placodes. Dev Biol 276:1–15. .
- 1997. Redefining the genetic hierarchies controlling skeletal myogenesis: Pax-3 and Myf-5 act upstream of MyoD. Cell 89:127–138. , , , .
- 1993. Mutations in the PAX3 gene causing Waardenburg syndrome type 1 and type 2. Nat Genet 3:26–30. , , , , , , .
- 1991. The paired box encodes a second DNA-binding domain in the paired homeo domain protein. Genes Dev 5:594–604. , , .
- 1995. A transgenic neuroanatomical marker identifies cranial neural crest deficiencies associated with the Pax3 mutant Splotch. Dev Biol 171:317–329. , , .
- 1994. Isolation of two isoforms of the PAX3 gene transcripts and their tissue-specific alternative expression in human adult tissues. Hum Genet 93:270–274. , , .
- 1996. An alternative splicing event in the Pax-3 paired domain identifies the linker region as a key determinant of paired domain DNA-binding activity. Mol Cell Biol 16:6677–6686. , , .
- 1997. The C-terminal subdomain makes an important contribution to the DNA binding activity of the Pax-3 paired domain. J Biol Chem 272:28289–28295. , .
- 1951. A new syndrome combining developmental anomalies of the eyelids, eyebrows and nose root with pigmentary defects of the iris and head hair and with congenital deafness. Am J Hum Genet 3:195–253. .
- 2008. Persistent expression of Pax3 in the neural crest causes cleft palate and defective osteogenesis in mice. J Clin Invest 118:2076–2087. , , , , , , .